The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17450 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

We won't be resetting for another month or two. You have plenty of time, really.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17451 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Guilty Gunsmith
Guilty Gunsmith
Mafia Scum
Guilty Gunsmith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17452 (ISO) » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:42 am

Post by Guilty Gunsmith »

omg lol
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17453 (ISO) » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:49 pm

Post by davesaz »

I have downloaded all the 1.7.10 versions of the current pack mods that I could find, and the instance launched OK.
Next step is to tweak the configs to be a little like what we have now, and then I can try to gen a world.
Osota
Osota
Watcher
Osota
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #17454 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:53 am

Post by Osota »

I know we are using Warp book, but I just love the idea of this Mod.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/ma ... -portals-3
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17455 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:08 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

In post 17454, Osota wrote:I know we are using Warp book, but I just love the idea of this Mod.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/ma ... -portals-3

Oh yeah me too. Klaz mentioned this as well. It looks really neat. On old servers, we often had a "central hub" to reach other people's bases. (Would definitely remove the need to provide pages to new players :P ) So even if we had warp book as a thing you could make if you wanted to (rather than given on joining), or if you lost your book, you could still visit people to remake your pages.

We're getting Mystcraft back too and that has portals as well, but I like how pretty and customizable these are. :]

(And apparently you can transfer items, liquids and energy through these! :eek: )
Art is cool.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17456 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:56 am

Post by Klazam »

Just eschew warp books completely, keep mystcraft, but make people add intralinking and following the intended way, and dont creative in the link modifier. Thats incentive to use ep3
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17457 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:14 am

Post by davesaz »

The enhanced portals can be run via computer, and can use dialing devices like Stargates. So we'd only need one portal each significant location if we wanted to use the dialed method. They run off RF energy so a central energy source might be a good thing to repeat if for no other reason than as a failsafe portal energy method. Those blocks which send energy/items/liquids through alongside the portals are cool too, though perhaps that wouldn't mesh very well with the dialed portal method. So maybe paired portals between spawn and our bases, and a dialed system to go other places. One other thing to keep in mind with open portals is whether mobs can walk through. Maybe that's configurable per portal?

Enhanced Portals and Mystcraft have been added to the test instance. :) Mystcraft has changed a lot so that will take some experimentation. We also might want an agreement on limiting the number of persistent ages, to keep server load under control.

I found out that Biomes O'Plenty configs have changed format, so merely grabbing the old ones won't work. Please comment on biome wants and hates. One example is enabling a biome which counts as plains/meadow and has bare dirt, for the extra bees/magic bees hive that needs that combo. Also noticed there is a setting to control how big the biomes are. Default 4, with 6 = large biomes. It has an option to drop landmasses in the huge oceans, to avoid the 10K blocks of ocean phenomenon. What do you think about that? Alternatively, the % land can be adjusted. It defaults to 10% in vanilla according to the config file comments, which IMO is absurdly low. Sure, we need some oceans, but not tens of thousands of blocks worth. Far enough that you can't render the opposite shore is plenty for me. On a related subject, any interest in the ocean related biomes?

I think Applied Energistics has meteorites now, and requires presses which are found mainly inside the meteorites to do complicated stuff. It has been a while since I ran 1.7.x so this paragraph may be incorrect... I'm still in the stone age in my test world, maybe someone else has gone that far more recently to comment on it. If it does require the meteorite presses, we might want to up the meteor percentages, they're pretty far apart IIRC.

Well, this post is long enough, and I can't run the browser and minecraft at the same time. :(

P-edit: What's the reference to ep3? The enhanced portals? And how do you add intra link / follow the "intended way"? I've never done that the real way, whatever it is...

I use a lot of warp pages, for the purpose of returning to the current exploration point when I'm going 10K blocks to look for land. Doing that with portals would be pretty resource intensive. Suppose I could carry a tesseract and energy cube to charge the jetpack...
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17458 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:18 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

In post 17456, Klazam wrote:Just eschew warp books completely, keep mystcraft, but make people add intralinking and following the intended way, and dont creative in the link modifier. Thats incentive to use ep3

Warp books cause random nether portals that destroy my roof. ._.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17459 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:21 am

Post by Oso »

The intended way, I think, for Mystcraft was to use various resources (In the ink mixer?) to get the modifier you wanted. I think for Intra-Linking, Gold was needed.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17460 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:23 am

Post by Oso »

daveaz, I'm checking Magic Bees. But I think the glitch that caused the Hive generation error has been fixed for 1.7.10. I need to confirm that though. On a related note though, I have no problem with a biome that qualifies as a plains type biome that gens bare earth.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17461 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:24 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Intra-linking wasn't available through the Ink-mixer and was creative only (or the modifier) until one of the latest releases where Villagers began trading the pages, which is how it is now.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Guilty Gunsmith
Guilty Gunsmith
Mafia Scum
Guilty Gunsmith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17462 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:28 am

it's the warp book that causes those phantom nether portals?
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17463 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:30 am

Post by davesaz »

In post 17458, fuzzybutternut wrote:
In post 17456, Klazam wrote:Just eschew warp books completely, keep mystcraft, but make people add intralinking and following the intended way, and dont creative in the link modifier. Thats incentive to use ep3

I thought that was aroma related. There is discussion of random portals in the aroma thread. But I can see the chance that warp pages are involved. No mining world in the test instance so easy enough to test the warp pages to see if it happens on 1.7.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17464 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:30 am

Post by Oso »

I believe so ETL, I semi confirmed it when I left the mining age and then went right back. There was no nether portal when I lft but there was one when I got back. The round trip from the mining age to my base and back was about 1 minute

{add on edit} My bad, daveaz is right. It wasn't Warp books but rather Aroma
-
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17465 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:35 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

In post 17463, davesaz wrote:
In post 17458, fuzzybutternut wrote:

I thought that was aroma related. There is discussion of random portals in the aroma thread. But I can see the chance that warp pages are involved. No mining world in the test instance so easy enough to test the warp pages to see if it happens on 1.7.

It happened in AgSkies too. I think something breaks when you Warp out of the nether. /shrug
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17466 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:36 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Like, the very first time you warp out of the nether, it just starts an infinite chain of random nether portals.

There's a nether portal at 10000,10000, for whatever reason
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17467 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:45 am

Post by Oso »

On an unrelated note, I helped my Nephew set up his computer for Skype, Twitch, Youtube and Open Broadcaster. Skype was a no-brainer as it is just a download, install and go after the camera/mic setup is in place. But the rest, I had to set up on my own computer so as to walk him through it over the phone.

Point being, I can now make streams and *.flv files suitable for upload to YouTube.

Not sure what to do with all that. Right now, it is just taking up space on my hard drive as I expect any YouTube I might have a mind to make for minecraft has already been done to death.
-
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17468 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:46 am

Post by Klazam »

A) why are you testing 1.7 now? B) Adding those modifiers via ink mixer. is sufficiently costly enough that the EP would be primary solution. C) I was envisioning that the EP3 would be configged to work without power which would make it awesome and not a hassle.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17469 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:39 am

Post by davesaz »

Is now an especially bad time to test? ;) Depends on the definition of expensive, and is that a config option? I have downloaded but not launched yet...
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17470 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:40 am

Post by davesaz »

I'm not abandoning the current server, if that's what you're asking. Just taking a day's break or so to get over the loss of my bee breeding stock.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17471 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:45 am

Post by Klazam »

In post 17469, davesaz wrote:Is now an especially bad time to test? ;) Depends on the definition of expensive, and is that a config option? I have downloaded but not launched yet...

Etl has said that we're not moving to 1.7.10 soon

not terribly expensive, but annoying as fuck and depends on rng. not a config option last i checked.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17472 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:10 am

Post by davesaz »

The testing might take months, better solid than sorry. :D
Guilty Gunsmith
Guilty Gunsmith
Mafia Scum
Guilty Gunsmith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17473 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:20 am

yeah, can totally remove power requirement for those. i think that's fine.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #17474 (ISO) » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:00 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 17457, davesaz wrote:The enhanced portals can be run via computer, and can use dialing devices like Stargates. So we'd only need one portal each significant location if we wanted to use the dialed method. They run off RF energy so a central energy source might be a good thing to repeat if for no other reason than as a failsafe portal energy method. Those blocks which send energy/items/liquids through alongside the portals are cool too, though perhaps that wouldn't mesh very well with the dialed portal method. So maybe paired portals between spawn and our bases, and a dialed system to go other places. One other thing to keep in mind with open portals is whether mobs can walk through.
Maybe that's configurable per portal?

It's not, AFAIK. We (Klaz and I) have already done some testing with EP3.

Enhanced Portals and Mystcraft have been added to the test instance. :)
Mystcraft has changed a lot so that will take some experimentation.
We also might want an agreement on limiting the number of persistent ages, to keep server load under control.

Changed a lot since when? I'm assuming since you last played with it.

We've always had some kind of arrangement with Ages in the past, and that's the main reason Mystcraft is silly and doesn't really work out-of-the-box in SMP. A lot of what you're saying... I'm not trying to be rude... we already
know
. I'm not sure if you're just talking or if you think we don't know a lot of this already. This isn't even ETL's first time in the modded rodeo and there're plenty of us around who know more than she does.

I found out that Biomes O'Plenty configs have changed format, so
1. merely grabbing the old ones won't work.
2. Please comment on biome wants and hates.
3.One example is enabling a biome which counts as plains/meadow and has bare dirt, for the extra bees/magic bees hive that needs that combo.
Also noticed there is a setting to control how big the biomes are. Default 4, with 6 = large biomes. It has an option to drop landmasses in the huge oceans, to avoid the 10K blocks of ocean phenomenon. What do you think about that? Alternatively, the % land can be adjusted. It defaults to 10% in vanilla according to the config file comments, which IMO is absurdly low.
4. Sure, we need some oceans, but not tens of thousands of blocks worth. Far enough that you can't render the opposite shore is plenty for me. On a related subject, any interest in the ocean related biomes?

(I'm numbering to respond to specific points succinctly, since you seem like you wanted a response. These are all very admin-y things to be asking and testing for, and I'm gonna be up-front about the fact that I'm not sure why you're talking about this unless I missed a post about you being included on the admin team. If that's the case you need to be filled in by ETL and dav about what the modded community around here has already discussed / decided, otherwise you're just rehashing things.)

1. Mods are often designed so that, in fact, this
    can
    be done. It's how they've always worked. BoP may be different or the authors may simply expect people to restart worlds and use new configs with the 1.7 switch, but it's likely not
    impossible
    to use the old configs. At any rate, ETL could always just copy/paste "true" and "false" into the new format.
  2. We've assembled severals lists along this line over the modpack versions in this community. We don't really need to do it again, unless my understanding of the new content in BoP is wildly underrated.
  3. Bees are almost a non-issue, unless you're getting trigger-happy with disabling Biomes. 99% of Bees can work with Vanilla biomes. Just don't enable the option to "Override Vanilla biomes" and I'd recommend keeping at least one of every biome that contains the individual BoP Gemstones, even though they no longer have much use.
  4. This kind of attitude is what Klaz and I are hoping to convince people here
    away
    of - Oceans are becoming a focus starting with 1.8 additions, and they're one of the few places where Mojang really can and should learn from modded Minecraft. with Archimedes' Ships, and with Mariculture (if it's included), Oceans shouldn't be ignored and they certainly shouldn't be reduced to something that can be easily swum across. The "10% landmass default" you mention is a very sensitive number - tweak it even to 25% and you'll be surprised how hard it will be to find even a nicely-sized Ocean for Mariculture loot or a ship thoroughfare.

I think Applied Energistics has meteorites now, and requires presses which are found mainly inside the meteorites to do complicated stuff. It has been a while since I ran 1.7.x so this paragraph may be incorrect... I'm still in the stone age in my test world, maybe someone else has gone that far more recently to comment on it. If it does require the meteorite presses, we might want to up the meteor percentages, they're pretty far apart IIRC.

AE2 does indeed require these presses to make the processors and other miscellaneous parts, and they are mainly found in meteorites (though they're also in other loot locations). However, I'd definitely disagree with your assertion that these meteorites are even close to "far apart". Yes, they are rare occurrences, possible rarer than the Vanilla dungeon, but this is a necessary balancing act for the mod
AND
once you find one of each press I believe you're set for life. Not to mention that the meteorites are massive blights on the landscape - they should be minimized however possible. 1000+ blocks from spawn in each direction they become slightly more common, to the point where I've found dozens within a couple-biome radius of ~900ish.

P-edit: What's the reference to ep3? The enhanced portals? And how do you add intra link / follow the "intended way"? I've never done that the real way, whatever it is...

I use a lot of warp pages, for the purpose of returning to the current exploration point when I'm going 10K blocks to look for land. Doing that with portals would be pretty resource intensive. Suppose I could carry a tesseract and energy cube to charge the jetpack...

EP3 = Enhanced Portals 3, yes. Intra-Linking is different, as described above by somebody else. It requires Archivist Villager trading. The other link modifications can be added with the Ink Mixer using various materials (Ender Pearls, Clay, Diamonds, etc.) and still have a chance of failing. The work-around that we've used in the past has been to spawn in the Creative Mode-exclusive block, called a "Link Modifier", which could do everything for free for one click. I'd be hopeful that this would be abandoned if Mystcraft was re-included. Just as much as anybody else, I'm a fan of exploring quickly and with warping, but it gets boring more quickly if you can do it more quickly, IMO. Everybody's heard enough from me on this issue so I'm not gonna harp on it for too long.

Return to “The Arcade”