The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Jackel98
Jackel98
Goon
Jackel98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17325 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:32 am

Post by Jackel98 »

How about some more Thaumcraft add-ons, or blood magic? And maybe Random Things?
“Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17326 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:35 am

Post by Maestro »

I suggested Thaumic Exploration - that's one of the ones Klaz and I had on our 1.7.x pack. It's REALLY cool, adds a plethora of new stuff and some endgame-y "you can actually manipulate Thaumstuff" activities that you can have fun with once you complete the rest of Thaumcraft.

I have..... issues... with Blood Magic. :roll:

EDIT: Then again... if I like a mod I usually stick by it long-haul and if I'm not impressed I battle it's inclusion.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17327 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:40 am

Post by davesaz »

Probably since I never played anything but SP, and most of that on peaceful, I'm not really concerned with what others might do. Things like the transmutation tablet were nice to have in SP because I wanted one or two of a thing that it would be hard to get normally, and I didn't want to just cheat it in with NEI. ;) I think it's rather silly to be sitting on half a billion cobble or 100K iron or 40K porkchops, so I'm not the type to set up one of the automatic thingamajigs (holy crap, spell checker knows that word) like a laser drill or auto spawner.
Edit: but I have no problem with others who want to do that.

But I totally get your position. I think the key in any community of players is to find a mix which maximizes fun all around, and if something is seriously unfun then we should consider not doing it. I took the same approach to the comments that mo creatures was a bad thing, sure the bunnies are cute but block breaking hostiles are not my thing and I can see why others wouldn't like them. :D
Last edited by davesaz on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17328 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:41 am

Post by davesaz »

BTW, what's a nether star? I bought one on minebay after someone mentioned it, but don't really know what to do with it. lol
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17329 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:56 am

Post by Maestro »

It's normally only obtainable by killing the Wither, a relatively-recent hostile mob Boss that is the "other" big thing to kill besides the Ender Dragon. Its only purpose in Vanilla is part of the crafting of Beacons, structures players can build to grant them permanent potion-style buffs while near the Beacon. Craft the Beacon block, build a metal block pyramid under it like this:

...then open the GUI of the Beacon, choose (for example) Speed II, then give it an Iron / Gold Ingot, a Diamond, or an Emerald (just one of those) and it'll activate. Anytime you're within range of the Beacon (range goes up with size of block pyramid) you get the buff. If you have the max size Beacon, you can also turn on Regeneration I or II alongside the normal buff.

Check this out: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Beacon

In modded, Nether Stars (and Dragon Eggs, but more often Nether Stars) are often used as an endgame crafting component or something where the mod author just needed to say "I want this to be stupid hard to get, I need something really rare to be required to craft it" - BAM Nether Star in the recipe. It's kindof a catch-all and shouldn't be super easy to make, let alone easy to automatically farm.
Jackel98
Jackel98
Goon
Jackel98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17330 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Post by Jackel98 »

Are your issues based on the premise of Blood Magic, or something else?
“Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17331 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Post by Maestro »

Spoiler: Had no idea this was a thing in 1.8..... PRETTY
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17332 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

In post 17323, Maestro wrote:
In post 17318, fuzzybutternut wrote:Pahimar picked up EE2 and is now developing EE3

Also, dav, this is what I was referring to - not Xeno dropping development but Pahi realizing it was worth it to rewrite the mod from scratch, which he's admittedly been having trouble doing. At least he admitted the mod was flawed and wanted to improve on it.

To be completely fair, it's not so much that he's been having trouble doing it, but that he can't really find the time to actively work on it anymore because PahiPrincess was born.
He did, however, state that there were a lot of things he didn't want to re-add in EE3, but some things, i.e alchemical chest, bag, and a few others, have already been added.

EE2 was broken. I won't argue that. However, if I understand the basic premise of Project E, it brings back the old EE2 in ALMOST every way. As far as I know, you can only transmute things that have a crafting recipe, but, of course, I might be wrong about that.
I, personally, don't mind a "broken" mod, simply because, well, in my opinion, that's what modded minecraft is, but that's just me. Discussion of mods is good and encouraged. I'd rather people express opinions about suggestions as opposed to sitting back and silently hating everything.
I suggested Project E because I know some people liked the old EE2 and it'd be really nice to go back and relive some of it, for me at least.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17333 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

I encourage suggestions and discussion about new mods. <3 I don't always get to see the new things, so I do rely heavily on the playerbase to let me know what they want to see.

Maestro is also very experienced when it comes to modded minecraft. For those of you who are new, he was the admin before me and taught me most of what I know about taking care of the server. He does have a somewhat "purist" perspective when it comes to how a mod balances the pack, but it's good to have input from a different POV. It's valuable to the discussion. :]

EE3 was a mod we all missed moving from 1.5 to 1.6 (or was it 1.4 to 1.5?) so I'm definitely interested in taking a look at a new iteration of it. Alchemical Reactions was an attempt to fill that void, but it wasn't the same. EE3 was well balanced and had a fair cost - the minium stone didn't last forever and you had to fight monsters in order to get the pieces to make another. In AR, all you needed was a bit of gold and dirt to get started IIRC, and from there you could make anything you wanted within your hole in the wall - no real cost whatsoever. Sometimes it takes testing out a new mod to see that it is indeed not worth it (though tbf - AE is awesome :P modded inventories can becomes just too large to handle).

As an admin, I'm against forcing a play-style, so I like to provide options. There will always be players who seek the easiest route, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Others prefer the challenge and refrain from certain things until later, and that's fine too. The thing that makes Minecraft great is the freedom given to literally do whatever you want. Modded enhances that by adding new toys. That's all :wink: So definitely, let's talk about new things and find out what might and might not work for us. ♥
Art is cool.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17334 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Post by Oso »

I never used EE2 but in regards to the conversation I have some input.

Like daveaz, I concern myself very little about what others are doing except for thing like cooperative projects and then mainly to make sure I am not duplicating something someone else is doing. As to broken or OP mods, again, less concerned about what others will do with them and more about how I might make them work.

I do agree with Maestro on experimenting with mods and seeing how they can work together. It lagged me out of the game but his and Klaz's Soul Shards Wither Spawners feeding dropped coal to Railcraft boilers was pretty neat I think. EnderIO's conduits work with all the mods I have tried them on and they beat the hell out of any transport network I've seen yet besides ME (actually, I give the edge to EnderIO because of their facades. They are dead easy to hide).

Some multi mod setups can work really well. Had I know before setting up my own laser drill (basically to get Yellorium for my reactor but the other stuff as well), how well Railcraft Boilers work with Big Reactors Turbines, I never would have set up the Laser Drill. I would have bypassed the Reactor completely and went straight to Boiler driven Turbine(s) as I would have needed way less power. Mekanism's ore multiplying capabilities plus it's Digiminer makes a Laser Drill a bit of overkill.

[Add-on edit]
I don't know if it me turning into a 'purist' myself or simply nostalgia but I do miss some of the huge, Rube Goldberg contraptions from 1.4.7 (the first Modded version I played) that you were almost required to make for automation. They took a lot of thought and planning...plus they looked really neat.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #17335 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:53 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 17322, Maestro wrote:EE2 was an overpowered, impressively-unbalanced mod that overtook the usefulness of the few other expansive mods that existed back at the height of its popularity. It has no place in more recent packs which revolve around mod integration, multiple power systems, and complex automation and which (IMO) shouldn't rely on one mod to do 99% of what you'll ever need to do to get anything you'd ever want in Minecraft. That's a pretty fuckin' huge con there, bro. Feed a transmutation table enough Cobble that was generated for free via Igneous Extruder(s) and you can get Nether Stars.

There was a mod in a recent ScumPack which I took it upon myself to show off as stupidly unbalanced. It was called "Alchemical Reactions" and the basic premise was that these things called "Reactants" were crafting materials, produced in huge amounts, which could be crafted with stuff to turn it into other stuff, almost always at a net gain in usefulness or rarity. What Klaz, Maru, and I had fun proving a point with, was that within a week on this server with this mod I'd created an autocrafter rig with nothing more complex than some Redstone and Iron, and it was providing us infinite Nether Stars for as long as we tossed in Eggs. We used the Stars for power or broke back down into whatever block we wanted.

NOTHING
like that should belong in any pack that wants to encourage people to use new mods or explore integration between mods. It shuts that kind of behavior down faster than Applied Energistics shuts down any need to create a storage system like we all used to do. This server is the only one in about the last 5 where I've touched AE, and it's mainly because I'm being a reclusive troll nowadays and not even worrying about doing anything other than fucking around since I haven't had the opportunity to play MC in so long.

You're kinda new here, and I assume you haven't just hit ISO on me in this thread, but this is one thing I've been pretty consistent about thought-wise and it's nothing against you (or davroe, or ETL should she decide to include the mod). It's obviously an opinion and there's no real point in arguing it with me but I'd love to hear whatever you wanted to say.

we need to do this again. (the me + u + klaz part, not break the game part)
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #17336 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 17333, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:(though tbf - AE is awesome :P modded inventories can becomes just too large to handle).

I still want to build my enderbag full of enderbags full of enderbags inventory system one day. Would be pretty darn interesting
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17337 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Post by davesaz »

I'm still at the 30-40 regular chests level, and a barrel is a big thing... lol

Maybe I'll do an ae system and a big base move for kicks. Need to try something new.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17338 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:03 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 17333, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:EE3 was a mod we all missed moving from 1.5 to 1.6 (or was it 1.4 to 1.5?) so I'm definitely interested in taking a look at a new iteration of it. Alchemical Reactions was an attempt to fill that void, but it wasn't the same. EE3 was well balanced and had a fair cost - the minium stone didn't last forever and you had to fight monsters in order to get the pieces to make another. In AR, all you needed was a bit of gold and dirt to get started IIRC, and from there you could make anything you wanted within your hole in the wall - no real cost whatsoever. Sometimes it takes testing out a new mod to see that it is indeed not worth it (though tbf - AE is awesome modded inventories can becomes just too large to handle).

I would agree with this except really, what dav suggested was a mod that re-adds a lot of what EE ***
*** had, not what EE ***
*** had. I loved EE3 too, maybe because it was so simple. The Minium Stone was never all that was supposed to go into EE3, but that's what happened because Pahi's had so little time to work on it, etc.

I'm not sure you were into modded when EE2 was a thing, ETL. Compare EE2 to Thaumic Tinkerer KAMI and you're about halfway there. It had tools and armor that would never break, offered every movement and buff ability you could think of, and they were cheap in the sense that if you could throw enough Cobblestone into the Transmutation Tablet you'd get them easily. It's a mod that works well with itself and only itself if you wanna feel like a god in the world without breaking a sweat, but it's pretty lame if the remake is getting the same treatment the original had - which it looks like it is, but I only watched the first video on the page dav linked.

(The EMC Collectors were in the first one, they were almost worse. Think "IC2 Solar Panels" but instead of EU they collect EMC, so you can passively turn nothing into Diamonds if you wait long enough. :lol: It's quite stupid.)
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17339 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:06 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 17334, Oso wrote:I do agree with Maestro on experimenting with mods and seeing how they can work together. It lagged me out of the game but his and Klaz's Soul Shards Wither Spawners feeding dropped coal to Railcraft boilers was pretty neat I think. EnderIO's conduits work with all the mods I have tried them on and they beat the hell out of any transport network I've seen yet besides ME (actually, I give the edge to EnderIO because of their facades. They are dead easy to hide).

Not only are EIO conduits brain-dead easy to hide, there is
literally
nothing else in the game that allows you to have Item, Fluid, Energy, Redstone, and ME cabling inside a single block, interacting on an individual level with every block it passes by. They're the most versatile, compatible things in modded, IMO.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17340 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:36 am

Post by Oso »

In post 17339, Maestro wrote:Not only are EIO conduits brain-dead easy to hide,
===
ME cabling

===

WAAAT??

This I did not know...now I do.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17341 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:33 am

Wow really? There was something I knew about those that Oso didn't XD that's a first. I love EIO conduits. If it wasnt for M's 1.7 test pack I probably never would have learned how to use/make them. Same for the SAG mill/Alloy furnace.
Art is cool.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17342 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:08 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 17340, Oso wrote:
In post 17339, Maestro wrote:Not only are EIO conduits brain-dead easy to hide,
===
ME cabling

===

WAAAT??

This I did not know...now I do.

This is why you need to go to my house more often. :wink:
Not a single "Vanilla" ME Cable in sight.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17343 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:54 am

Spoiler: Added a dome to my base
Art is cool.
Osota
Osota
Watcher
Osota
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #17344 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Post by Osota »

In post 17343, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
Spoiler: Added a dome to my base

Woah! nice
Osota
Osota
Watcher
Osota
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #17345 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Post by Osota »

Hey M did you ever add that link for your 1.7.10 mod pack?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17346 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Post by Maestro »

no but I'm high so gimme a while bit
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17347 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

In post 17346, Maestro wrote:a while bit

:lol: :lol: :lol:
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades