The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14490 (isolation #600) » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'm willing/volunteering to take over the modded server and/or the vanilla server.

I'd likely need a bunch of help with modded server admin side stuff, and less but still significant help with vanilla admin stuff to get me going. But seeing as I've pretty much been around here the longest out of everyone who still actively participates on the server, you can pretty much count on me not getting quickly bored and burnt out.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14496 (isolation #601) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:52 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14493, Maestro wrote:
In post 14478, Maestro wrote:I'll stay Admin on Vanilla. That's like, a nonexistent burden either way. If somebody wants it I'm ambivalent - I dunno when I last saw anybody log on.
:igmeou: now I have definitive proof that nobody reads my posts :P
I read this, whats the problem? All I said is I was willing to take it over as well if you want to be done being admin completely - I got the feeling from that post you see it as more of an obligation at this point, rather than something you really want to do. So I was just letting you know you had an out. And see my thought below on whether we still need 2 servers.

--------------------------------------------------------

First point of business is, what does everybody want? If there was no modded server at all, would everybody play vanilla, or would many just not play at all/move on? People seem to get bored with any server whether its vanilla or modded, so I'm just trying to gauge whether the effort for a modded server is worth it for anyone to do, or if we can just go back to a single community vanilla server? Would everyone who actively plays daily on FTB continue to play on vanilla only? I have to admit that while I do enjoy FTB and the content, I don't really care if I play on vanilla or modded as long as the community is there. When we started up the new vanilla server and people were playing on it, it was great. It felt worthwhile to get on there and do things. Now that activity has fallen off, it doesn't seem as worthwhile anymore when I know no one is going to see what I'm building. I just want to play where every else plays. Given the choice between FTB and vanilla it seems most everyone choses FTB, but if vanilla was the only choice and people actually played there, that would be good for me. And hey, vanilla is kinda fun, and we get a stream of new content with the "stay with the most recent snapshot" philosophy. We can go back to focusing on creating awesome things, rather than who can automate the most stuff.

Assuming a modded server continues and I become the admin, here is my vision for the server:

1) I will be a benevolent dictator. I will have final say in all decisions. I will attempt to make decisions in the community's best interest (not my own).

2) This does not mean no community input - I need to know what the community as a whole wants in order to make decisions in the community's best interest. But generally, we will not decide things on votes, it will not be a democratic process, everyone isn't entitled to have a say, everyone will not get everything they want, and there is no goal to try to please everybody all the time.

3) Opt out clause - if there's a gap between my vision for the server and what the community wants, then its probably best I don't admin the server, or step down if that point is ever reached. The only way this will work is if I actually enjoy the server I'm admining - I'm not going to admin a server that isn't what I like.

4) My intent is to create a persistant, stable world that lasts indefinitely. What that means from a practical standpoint is a lean modpack, minimal/long update cycle, no/minimal modpack changes over the life of the server, no planned resets, etc. I will not consider the modpack/server successful if the world we create doesn't last a year. If this doesn't sound good to people, then tell me now that I'm not the guy, because this will be my core philosophy on which every decision I make or don't make is based around.

--------------------------------------------------------

If you all read the above and are still good with me running the server, then I'll get started figuring out what I need to do to be an admin.

First I'd like opinions/discussion on how everyone would prefer we move on with the server. Just stay with Mafiacraft 1.x and deal with the known issues? Start working on 2.0 now for 1.5? Wait for 1.6? Use a public FTB modpack (Ultimate?) and pare it down and configure to our liking? Other ideas? My preference is Mafiacraft 2.0 now for 1.5 - we've got all the mods available right now, we can update to the latest 1.5 updates and never have to even worry about updating again because we won't be able to without moving to 1.6, and we can get a world people will know will last up as soon as possible rather than waiting in limbo for an unknown amount of time. But I'm willing to consider alternatives.

I need to know from Klaz/M/Maru/whoever, what is the process for submitting packs to FTB to update Mafiacraft?

I would also like from whoever, a basic high level primer on the process for putting a pack together. I think its just downloading the mods and c/p-ing them to the right place in the right order and then editing the config files to eliminate block ID's and what not. If there is more to it than that then I need to be edumacated.

Then I need to know once I have a pack how do I put it in server form, get it to the host, turn it on and be able to connect to it.

Once I get to that point, I'll have someone explain to me dynmap and FTBbot for IRC.

If I'm a quick enough learner and get enough help, then I would hope to have Mafiacraft 2.0 submitted to FTB before next thursday, and then have a new world up and running by August 1st (assuming this is the route people prefer), worst case pushed back a week.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14500 (isolation #602) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 am

Post by Rhinox »

Rhinox wrote:Just stay with Mafiacraft 1.x and deal with the known issues?
Know issues being - ME systems deleting, Chunks reseting, and hangups that cause the server to stop responding and needing to be restarted, sometimes frequently - To be completely honest, I don't know how to deal with / fix those issues, and maybe never will. That gets into areas of troubleshooting that just can't be easily learned. Especially if M/klaz don't know whats going on, there's no way i'm going to be able to just step in and fix it. Lag and crashes on DW20 were annoying as hell, but when people start losing stuff thats even a bigger problem. I could make no guarentee that at any time you might stick two blocks next to each other than don't like each other and completely reset whatever chunk you're working in causing you to lose all your stuff. To be fair I can't guarentee that wouldn't happen with a new world mafiacraft 2.0 or any pack, but it might be possible to at least minimize the problem by leaning out the modpack to something more focused rather than a try to do everything pack, and eliminating problem mods.

I really like the existing world but people have been getting frustrated and stopped playing due to the crashing and the losing stuff. Over the past couple weeks I thought most of us were under the assumption that a reset was going to be needed to fix the problems anyways, and have adjusted our playing as such.
In post 14498, izakthegoomba wrote:If we really have to scrap the current world - and I'd really rather we didn't - I think FTB Ultimate is the best option.
Ultimate as-is, or with some subset of mods deactivated?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14501 (isolation #603) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:47 am

Post by Rhinox »

Also, any comments on ditching modding altogether and just playing vanilla, which would be much more likely to be problem free and last a very long time?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14505 (isolation #604) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:06 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14502, izakthegoomba wrote:I'd say as-is, though I'd be happy to config Gregtech for you to make it more reasonable, since I'm the one with the most experience of it.
The reason I asked is because as-is would have many of the same issues we left the DW20 server for, no? Bad lag and frequent crashes? Its got a few mods that were purposefully left out of Mafiacraft for performance reasons. Its got mystcraft, and as an admin I'm not going to be making it my job policing ages - if it can't be used as it's intended, then it shouldn't be part of a server pack IMO. If we went to the FTB ultimate pack, we'd probably have to be deactivating quite a few of those mods right up front.
Maestro wrote:If people want different MOds in the pack - which they've been saying they do - you should have a new world. If you don't want a new world, don't change the pack. It's that simple.
Does that mean the issues with the hangups and chunk resets have been fixed?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14510 (isolation #605) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14508, Maestro wrote:P-Edit: My recommendation to Rhino for pack submission to FTB would be to disregard any previous threads of conversation between me/Klaz/izak and the Private Server Modpack Team over at FTB. I suggest that Rhinox simply read this page and ask any questions he may have - the submission process is simple once you understand it. I'll also point him here, where he should be getting most of the permissions for most of the Mods in existence. :P
I don't understand. You mean completely ignore Mafiacraft and basically submit an entirely new private server pack? Refullfilling all the permission requirements you guys already did when setting up the pack in the first place? That seems... inefficient :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14518 (isolation #606) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:50 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14512, Klazam wrote:98% of the permissions are already given.

This way, you have full control of the thing from start to finish without having to rely on us or use us as a crutch, like we had to do partially with maru.

The reason why i left now, and not after 2.0 is because i wanted you to not be gimped by decisions we made in the past.
Well yes, but on the spreadsheet M linked to a lot of mod permissions say to inform the mod author and provide links to the mod or the mod's wiki, which may have all been done by you guys for mafiacraft 1.x but if I'm submitting a new modpack that would have to be redone by me? I remember a lot of screenshots of forum posts and what not when you guys were setting up mafiacraft 1.0 asking for permissions for all the mods, is it already not done like that anymore? Or am I missing something?

Also, if I'm submitting a new pack, am I able to submit it as a versioned 2.0 update to mafiacraft or is it going to be a new pack, new security code, will I need new mod images for the launcher, etc. Or can I just put in my update submission that I'm taking over the admin responsibilities for the mafiacraft server from here on out - and I'd assume I won't be able to do that without whoever is currently responsible for modpack submissions approving the transfer of ownership so to speak. Or is that not allowable?

------------------------------------------------------------------

As expected there are different opinions for what should happen, but everyone wants the modded server still / wouldn't play on vanilla if modded was gone, yes? So thats one thing settled.

As for the server itself and the modpack, when the server started having problems, M and klaz started getting burnt out, and it was getting ever increasingly more clear that the server had started dying a slow death, I had started thinking about putting a super lean and focused modpack together for myself for SSP. That pack was going to essentially be based on Mafiacraft 1.x, but with mods removed that caused problems or had bugs or I wouldn't use or need.

I never started putting my list together, but as a first pass,
NON-OFFICIAL
look through the list, my pack would probably have looked something like:

Bibliocraft
Buildcraft
NEI
EnderStorage
ChickenChunks
Thermal Expansion
Forestry
Extra Bees (Extra Trees, Binnie's Mod, whatever it is now)
NEI Plugin
Inventory Tweaks
Iron Chests
Railcraft
Tinker's Construct
VoxelMap

Which would mean, getting cut list would include (again, this is
NOT OFFICIAL
):
Spoiler:
AE
OmniTools
ComputerCraft
Damage Indicators
EE3
EBXL
Flat Signs
Obby Plates
Grav gun
Power Converters
MFRL
Nether Ores
MPS
Ropes+
Runic Dust
Secret Rooms
Twilight Forest
Xeno's Reliquary

So there's more cut than kept. Its a lean buildcraft centered and focused pack. Theres room for a terrain gen mod (It could be EBXL but I would have gone with vanilla terrain gen in my own pack, maybe added Natura), and there's room for an armor mod (suggestions?) (MPS causes lag and GUI's are broken plus I'm not keep on flying around as the primary method of transportation). Some of the mods in the cut list wouldn't have to be cut if there is a compelling reason for keeping them (such as people won't play without them, and they haven't ever shown to cause problems), but in the interest of keeping the pack lean and stable I'd feel pretty happy with that first cut.

How would everyone feel about a server that was trimmed down to look something like that, as a starting point? Obviously a world reset would be required but I feel like a pack like that would have the best chance of being stable for a long time.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14521 (isolation #607) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14519, fuzzybutternut wrote:Would you be open to suggestion on additions?
Yes of course. Mainly using that as a starting point for discussion. I would hope we could have the bare minimum that would be enough for just about everyone, and I figure the best place to start would be the bare minimum that would make me happy.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14525 (isolation #608) » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Tomorrow / this weekend we can talk on IRC
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14541 (isolation #609) » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:57 am

Post by Rhinox »

I don't think we have much of a policy on client mods. Rei's would be fine. Xray texture packs would frowned on. But as vanilla is on and always will be on the most recent release, i'm not sure any mod is going to work for you on the server, because mods are usually at least a version behind. We might overlap the timeframe where 1.6 mods are starting to become available before the next round of snapshots start coming out maybe.

We don't use any audio chat while playing, but we do use the ingame chat, and we have an IRC channel. Unfortunately IRC and the vanilla server are not linked together due to the above (latest release, no mods, etc). But yes, our servers are usually considered a very social experience regardless of the above constraints.

pedit: what klaz said

-----

Guys I'll get on IRC later and we can start to iron out what to do about FTB and me being the admin. I may be on sooner but it won't have my full attention until like hours after 10-ish.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14544 (isolation #610) » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

I feel pretty connected with just chat and likely wouldn't use skype or any other voice were it set up, and I will not be setting up or supporting voice chat as part of my
reign of terror
admin responsibilities on FTB. If others want to skype while playing, you all can go set something up amongst yourselves.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14550 (isolation #611) » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14546, izakthegoomba wrote:Back in the Claus/me/Xalxe era a bunch of us used to Skype all the time. And we did PvP and challenges and stuff on weekends. I'd kind of like to get back to that, actually.
yeah I remember the one time we did the new world to end dragon run in one day. I didn't have a mic on my computer so I was trying to skype through my phone. It didn't work very well for me, but it was a fun event.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14582 (isolation #612) » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 am

Post by Rhinox »

Wither Lag castle what can go wrong amirite?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14596 (isolation #613) » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:11 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14592, fuzzybutternut wrote:(We will hopefully have doggy talents too, js)
"Tested, Does not work as intended, and is VERY noninuitive. Also never got permissions" - from the mod document
In post 14593, dappyscroo wrote:However, it might just be worth ignoring what I have to say. I'm unlikely to want to carry on after yet another (IMHO unnecessary) server reset, particularly since there seems to be little in the way of interest in a modded server any more -- I've been playing almost every day recently, and am almost always the only person on there. I may as well be playing SSP.
Its not lack of interest that is the problem - at least not for everyone. It's the uncertainty because nobody knows whats going to happen and when with the server, so no one wants to do anything that is just going to get reset in a week or month or ???

Just because you haven't been seeing the problems doesn't mean problems don't exist. Take a visit to clamcastle and see what we meen. There is a 7x1 block of chunks running right down the center that as soon as you step into, you drop to 0FPS. That area was the primary base for at least 3 of the most active players on the server who can't do anything right now. Thats why you're not seeing them on. We just don't know how to fix the problem. Klaz and I went in there last weekend and basically started painstakingly (fighting through the lag) tearing all the systems apart and we couldn't find any block or system causing lag.

So basically you're not going to see a lot of activity on the server without a reset. Maybe Oso will get back on again. I'm not affected by any problems so I could get back on but not likely unless its decided that there absolutely will not be a reset. But half of the everyday active players on the server have basically lost their entire base and we don't know how to fix it. Their only option is basically to abandon everything and go start over somewhere else, but they have no guarentee that it wouldn't just happen again. So before concluding that a reset isn't necessary in your opinion, try to imagine how you would feel if your base became corrupted and you had to abandon it to restart from scratch but everyone else got to keep going with everything they've already done.

AE is being considered for removal because everytime there is a major problem AE seems to be right in the center of it. Its thought that maybe it was just a problem with secret rooms and AE not getting along and we could eliminate secret rooms instead, which no one seems to be against, but then the lag at the castle started. Klaz tried to shut down the whole AE system at clamcastle so we don't think its causing the lag, but I don't think we can say for sure that it is not AE without figuring out what it is exactly, given that AE was involved with all the other troubles there in the past. The guys at clamcastle just did a good job at mixing lots of different blocks from lots of different mods, and unfortunately this is the result. I just don't understand how the lag chunks extend so far south of the castle into the ocean in chunks that nobody has even done anything in, unless there are mines underground we couldn't find or something.

And more importantly, I'm frustrated before I even start. We can't fix the issues with the current server, and its goign to be impossible to get everyone to come to a censunsual compromise on anything that changes the status quo. I'm not even The/An admin yet. Klaz op'd me on the server, but I don't have permissions to, say, restart the server if it crashes, or add someone to the whitelist. To be fair I haven't exactly been diligent in asking for those permissions, but the point is before I'm even fully admin I'm already questioning whether this is something I can or want to do. The only way forward I can see with me as admin is a really hard decision and seems like it would piss everyone off - and that is just a clean break/new pack/reset how I want it done. Then I can take full responsibility for troubleshooting issues and fixing things if they go wrong. I don't know what else to do. I'm not going to be happy jumping into a situation where my hands are already tied before I begin. I can't fix the problems with the modpack and I'm not going to take responsibility for fixing the issues in a pack I didn't put together. I'm not going to be spending my time going around oping in stuff people lose because of the preexisting issues before I became admin. I'd feel like I'd just be cleaning up someone elses left behind garbage to be blunt. If people really want the current world/modpack to continue as is status quo, then someone willing to take on that responsibility needs to step up and be the admin.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14601 (isolation #614) » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14597, dappyscroo wrote:there's bedrock all over the surface nearby! WTF?! :-S
When klaz and M were still admins, they granted clammy creative powers to rebuild what was lost in the clamcastle chunk reset. Shortly after, we had a discussion on IRC about what was up with the server and M and klaz not being interested anymore and what they wanted to do to get interested again. We talked about going to mafiacraft 2.0 and a reset would likely happen and they wanted to do a lot of the same things I've been proposing - eliminating problem mods and just paring things down to a leaner more likely to be problem free modpack. So thats when people first started playing as if a reset was going to happen, and clammy started TNTing parts of the server. Maru had already blown up his house early on, and I suggested clammy should blow the rest of it into smitherines. I went there to watch, and clammy started chasing me around trying to bomb me with TNT. I had all my important stuff on me and wasn't ready to lose it all yet because a reset was still undetermined and a ways off, so naturally I was trying to avoid being killed. Clammy wasn't having none of that and started trying to box me in with bedrock. Eventually I /spawn'd, asked clammy not to kill me and logged off. So yeah, thats where the bedrock came from.
fuzzybutternut wrote:Clammy at least deserves creative so he can build stuff. That's really the only reason he's on the server save for the community. Either way, we owe him that much.
We can discuss it but I mean that pretty much describes me as well. Building stuff is the whole point of minecraft. I mean the mods are fun and all but to me they're really nothing more than extra building blocks and a means to get to them. I don't build systems just to build systems, I build what I need to build to get things I need to build stuff with. Why do you think treebreeding is the most important thing I spend my time doing? I want all the wood building blocks. I'm not sure anyone deserves to have creative just because they only like building stuff. Maybe we can compromise and set clammy loose in creative mode to build us a spawn castle / spawn town? Something for the whole community, not just for him and the people choosing to live where he's building.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14611 (isolation #615) » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Post by Rhinox »

To expand on what M said...

Basically over the past couple weeks after I said I would try to take over modded - well I did it without really thinking it through entirely. It takes know-how, time, and desire, to do it right. I had plenty of desire to start out. No-how is basically non-existent, and time probably not as high as it should be. But because of the small text M was talking about, I really just realized that mods have not and will never provide the minecraft experience I want. I joined modded initially because I wanted to play with the community, but I've always tried influence decisions to steer the servers back to more traditional ways - see: all the way back to my comments when warp was first added to the previous vanilla server.

So basically it doesn't make any sense for me to admin a modded server. At this time, I fully support the move back to vanilla, and when I play minecraft, I will be playing and building stuff on vanilla from here on out. I hope that eventually a community will actually return to the vanilla server to see and enjoy all the cool things I'm gonna build.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14627 (isolation #616) » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14624, Tierce wrote::/

Who started building a giant house in the water in the Vanilla server to the west of my house/North of the lighthouse?

I know I haven't been active on the server over the past month, but the beauty of that bay was that it didn't have anything in it, now there is the beginning of a construction that is blocky and right in the middle of the water landscape, and has a Nether portal that breaks the previous Nether path between me and Klaz...
Pretty sure that is fishy's base that he started working on.

Regarding the nether portal, I guess you didn't manually place your nether portal at x/8, y, z/8 when you originally built it? thats the only way to ensure a link and to keep it no matter who builds nether portals nearby. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Nethe ... and_Nether
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14650 (isolation #617) » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:42 am

Post by Rhinox »

Just FYI vanilla is my only server now so when I'm playing thats where I'll be. I'd love to have some company, but I'm not on every minute of every day. I'm tidying up some improvements around my farm for now and then I'm going to start working on Rhinoland :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14652 (isolation #618) » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:11 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14651, Tierce wrote:KMP has Forestry, Rhinox. :shifty:
I know... but no modded server has every lasted nearly long enough to do anything I've wanted to do. I don't enjoy playing minecraft on a 1mo reset timer.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14675 (isolation #619) » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:08 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14654, Oso wrote:Given that KMP is Klaz's private server, I'm guessing it will last a bit longer, reset-wise, than most. I've seen the mod list and they all look to be tested, stable mods for the most part. It is likely to be as persistent a world as is possible with modded Minecraft
rrrrrrright...
In post 14660, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:Dav, one skill you do have a lot of talent for is making any space you settle a complete lag fest. <3

Edit: I visited your home yesterday. I went from ~60ish FPS to 11.
In post 14664, fuzzybutternut wrote::P Meh. It's not as bad as M's place. lolol
In post 14665, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
In post 14664, fuzzybutternut wrote::P Meh. It's not as bad as M's place. lolol
On that point, you are right.

Your place is WORSE.
In post 14666, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:HEY whats this?

In post 14670, Maestro wrote:ETL - I have NO IDEA...which is new for this sort of thing

@Maru: your last comment is nothing to be proud of

(also, P.S. Mr. BigShotHostingCompanyOwnerManGuyDude: could ETL's problem be some stupid funky IPv4 v. IPv6 thing...? since that's computer related and involves "addresses" and is something I can marginally connect to Minecraft/Minecraft servers in my thoughts if I try hard enough...?

@dav: my place hasn't reduced in lag since I moved the Hydroplant? welp, either way, be glad I did

you all would be immobile within 60 blocks of my house :3

Each new modded server lasts exponentially shorter than the previous. In a few more cycles they'll just be popping in and out of existance before we even know they exist :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14703 (isolation #620) » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:39 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14699, Untrod Tripod wrote:is anyone ever on the vanilla server?
yes

I haven't seen anyone else on in a while though. And I wasn't on last week because stuff.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14719 (isolation #621) » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 am

Post by Rhinox »

I love that there's a full page of vanilla server talk <3. I'll probably get on tonight and see what eveeryone's up to :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14721 (isolation #622) » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:40 am

Post by Rhinox »

haha... in my last post I was thinking about asking M if he was talking about your place or if he stumbled onto somewhere different because I didn't really think you're place was ugly at all, just unfinished and perhaps in an unfortunate location for what tierce wanted. I didn't remember it as "a massive cube of spruce wood planks"
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14723 (isolation #623) » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:27 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14722, Klazam wrote:
In post 14708, Bulbazak wrote:UT, I was going to find your house and put up a sign that said, "Bulba was here.", but I didn't feel like searching too hard and decided to finish up my
cube
(It still needs the roof.).
In post 14716, Maestro wrote: I made my way back to Spawntown by myself and saw...a massive cube of Spruce Wood Planks.
is there a connection here?

(Too much mafia)
yes. My god yes there is. Jesus... Spruce Cube (as it shall now forever be known) is certainly not what nor where fishy's place was. I daresay fishy's place was the mona lisa to this place's:
Spoiler:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14725 (isolation #624) » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 am

Post by Rhinox »

Tierce prepare yourself for what you may see before you log on...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14752 (isolation #625) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

yay 1.6.2! now baby animals will stop escaping from fences/suffocating themselves :)

Anyone know whats the story with boats in 1.6? I know they were never really all that functional to begin with really but the control scheme changed. Now they only go forward 'W' and steer with the mouse. Used to be able to turn with 'A' and 'D' and hit the brakes/go backwards with 'S' but in my experimenting yesterday I found that 'A', 'S', and 'D' don't do shit for boats anymore :(. Makes it a lot harder/impossible to maneuver in tight spaces now, and really puts a damper on my boathouse I was building.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14754 (isolation #626) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:46 am

Post by Rhinox »

Death count is fine how it is. Tab only shows online users, and 1 good day of activity doesn't change that on average for the past several months there has rarely ever been more than 1 user online.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14757 (isolation #627) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14755, Klazam wrote:I think that they now function like horses. not sure
yeah I did some research... they unified the horse and boat control scheme in 1.6, but since horses strafe slowly using 'A' and 'D' and boats shouldn't strafe, they changed the value of slowly to zero for boats - problem is horses also go backwards slowly so when changing the value of slowly to zero, boats also no longer brake and go backwards. So yeah.. and pretty much everyone is either complaining about the new controls so probably eventually it will be changed back.
Klazam wrote:that's fine, just a wuggestion
Sorry I didn't mean to sound snippy and dismissive. I just like
mocking
seeing everyone elses deaths :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14760 (isolation #628) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14758, Tierce wrote:You probably figured it out already, but boats are working closer to Newtonian physics now--if you want to brake, spin around and hit W. Not the best and least boat-crashing solution, but I tried it last night and wasn't that awful.
The physics weren't changed at all though, they just eliminated a possible acceleration vector. In the real world if you want to slow a boat down, you shift into reverse, not move the engine to the front of the boat and point it the other way. Or if its more like a rowboat, you just row backwards, not get up and turn around and row the other direction. Its kinda silly. I imagine its not that awful for basically straight line point A to point B ocean crossing stuff - but you should try to see how difficult it is to maneuver from your place up my river and pull into my dock and see if you can do it. God forbid getting anywhere near a swamp/lilly pads. I mean I'm sure it can be done but its more a mini-game at that point than a reasonable method of transportation.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14764 (isolation #629) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:26 am

Post by Rhinox »

I don't know if M plans to add IRC or not, but you guys know that because vanilla is cutting edge updates that whenever updates/snapshots happen, IRC and all your client mods are likely going to break right? Just trying to avoid a future "welp I'm done with vanilla until mods update" style ragequit later on. I like that people are coming back to vanilla again but probably not a good idea to do so with the expectation that it will always have IRC/minimap/invtweaks/whatever compatibility.

I usually just leave IRC running in a window behind my minecraft window and leave a small gap underneath when I want to follow whats going on in IRC. Switching windows with alt-tab to type something in IRC then alt-tab back isn't really all that more clunky than using the in-game press t to chat. You still gotta stop doing whatever you're doing to type.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14775 (isolation #630) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 am

Post by Rhinox »

Server cutting edge > IRC IMO.

People who have been playing vanilla have managed to survive without it. I'm not against it until it starts delaying updates or opening a door for other slippery slope changes like all the stuff we had on the last "vanilla" server.

ETL, what mod did you use to connect your SSP client to IRC? is that something people can do client side to connect with IRC if they choose rather than waiting for something server side?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14779 (isolation #631) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14777, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:Rhi... i dont think forgeIRC xan be done clown. Sidr. Also is inly 1.5.2

M where is lick??!!!?
Lol did you just call me a clown?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14831 (isolation #632) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

All the logs look the same on the cut ends tho
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14849 (isolation #633) » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:29 am

Post by Rhinox »

/inned for minecraft mafia. Haven't played a game in a while, time to dabble with coming out of retirement.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14850 (isolation #634) » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:30 am

Post by Rhinox »

So that means you all go join and play with me, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity here :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14888 (isolation #635) » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:13 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14885, Klazam wrote:
In post 14881, jmj3000 wrote:CAN WE KEEP IT?!? PLEASE?!?

I had so many things I wanted to build, and I spent so much time gathering my shit.

you know, I think it'd be cool if that happened. Who's in favor of going back to old vanilla? ( keep in mind no warps or teleports, so certain people will still be DISTANT from their homes. )
Reasons later but... my vote is to move on from the old server and let it die peacefully
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14924 (isolation #636) » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14919, Bulbazak wrote:Is it in spawn town near that little farm, right by those stairs?
This description kinda sounds like my area. If the little farm is right on the river then yes its me. I have stairs leading down into the mines, and my mine and Tierce's kinda connect right at the bottom of the stairs.

Let me know where the hub is when you're finished. I'd like to build my own tunnel there once I figure out where I'd like to have my station. I agree with Tierce, my mines don't need to be connected to the hub. In fact I'd prefer if they weren't.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14930 (isolation #637) » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:13 am

Post by Rhinox »

Bulba I don't know for sure what cave system you dropped into, there are quite a few intersecting ravines on different levels down there. If I'm able to I'll log on this evening and you can show me where the hub is or I'll just look for it.

I've been mining the caves connected to my mines when I come across them. I started my mine heading west to the ocean I believe, and have been staying south of tierce's area. North and west of where I built is M and Tierce, spawn is due east, and Klaz and others were due south a ways. I picked west because there was nobody there and would eventually hit ocean where no one would build. You kinda built your house right above where I've been mining. Anything in caves is always fair game unless its part of someone's base, but I wouldn't be too happy if the area I chose to mine suddenly dried up. I'd appreciate if you'd mine more to the south and west of your place out into the ocean. It's an infinite world, there's no reason we should need to fight over the same resources.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14960 (isolation #638) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:34 am

Post by Rhinox »

That is fucking amazing.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14963 (isolation #639) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14962, izakthegoomba wrote:So I'm kinda sorta maybe tempted to return to the new vanilla server... how vanilla is it, exactly?
It is entirely vanilla server side. Some people managed to install some client mods like minimaps and invtweaks and such, but they're likely to stop working for a while once the next updates/snapshots start coming out again. But its a pretty awesome server you should definitely come back and play :) I was just on a little bit ago.
EspeciallyTheLies wrote:You should see the Beetlejuice one; it's even better!

Also, Rhi! <3 I need your help. D: I started tree breeding and I dont know what I'm doing! :( I've had 8 apiaries near the breeding trees for days and days and days and nothing. :'(
I watched the beetlejuice one and the ghostbusters one too. Its amazing the stuff people come up with. All the little camera tricks and perspective things.

Did you craft the goggles for tree breeding? You need them to see the mutations now. If thats not it, just plant a bunch of the 2 'parent' trees of the tree you want to breed and only those 2 types. You want as many leaves as possible for best odds. The ones grown from the nilla trees shouldn't be too hard to get. Some of the later ones take ages. And keep breeding bees to get ones with high pollination. Industrious are good, and rural/farmed as well.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14973 (isolation #640) » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14967, Maestro wrote:No, I believe not. At least, I would hope not.
PLANNING SHOULD START FOR STRONGHOLD HUNT (I nom izak) AND DRAGON GROUP RUN!

BRING FUCKTONS OF ARROWS AND YOUR BEST ARMOR PPL
We need an OW dragon egg shrine as well
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14994 (isolation #641) » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14987, Klazam wrote:WORLD RESTART AT 1.7

YOU PROMISED BLEEDING EDGE UPDATES.
I don't recall reading that an update to 1.7 would require a world reset.

And since 90% of you never play vanilla, 90% of you don't get a fucking vote.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15001 (isolation #642) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:24 am

Post by Rhinox »

awwww klaz I wanted post 15000 :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15006 (isolation #643) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 am

Post by Rhinox »

Well I didn't mean to sounds as angry as I did last night I was just dealing with some IRL shit that I was already pissed about, so sorry about that.

I'm not even strictly against a restart I just don't think people who haven't invested any time into the server should be the ones deciding to erase all the effort others have put into the server.

M's right, people play for a bit from time to time to see whats new and then get quickly bored - but they're not the ones who justify keeping a server running IMO. When those people get bored a quit those fewer who do play regularly are likely still going to be there, and they're likely the same group playing regularly now.

I think it makes more sense to wait and actually see the new biomes and maybe walk around in SSP a bit to decide if they're even all that spectacular before even discussing the R word. The only thing this discussion is going to accomplish is killing whatever regular activity still exists on the server now, because no one is going to bother wasting any effort on stuff that is just going to be deleted. Might as well just switch us all over to creative mode and let us go to town for a few weeks if a restart is really going to happen again.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15011 (isolation #644) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15007, izakthegoomba wrote:To be totally honest, I miss the old way of running the vanilla server, back when it was Claus (and later me and Xalxe) running the show. There were at least two major worldgen updates during that period, and numerous other changes, and nobody even
mentioned
a restart.
Agreed!
In post 15008, izakthegoomba wrote:To elaborate on that, it would be nice if we could have a chance to pre-generate, either using supervised creative mode or some other tool, an area around anywhere that we want to live long-term, so that we don't have to run into chunk borders unless we go exploring. But I don't think this warrants a restart.
Not sure I follow. Do you mean like limiting the world? Build a big bedrock wall from +5000 to -5000 in each direction to prevent exploring outside that area and then expand the world when an update happens?
In post 15010, izakthegoomba wrote:Hey guys. Guess what?
WHAT?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15030 (isolation #645) » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:28 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15024, izakthegoomba wrote:
In post 15018, fuzzybutternut wrote:SUGGESTION:
Keep same map, but when 1.7 updates, we all have a max exodus to like, 10,000, 10,000 and start anew. Then someone can do something with command blocks so we can visit old-spawntown.
I am very strongly against this idea. If people want to run away to live in the new biomes, that's absolutely fine. But it shouldn't be an official change, there shouldn't be a command block teleporter, and we
definately
shouldn't think of what's already been built as "old-spawntown".
QFT
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15034 (isolation #646) » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:31 am

Post by Rhinox »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/881- ... r-testing/

That was quick. New biomes for everyone! :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15036 (isolation #647) » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:39 am

Post by Rhinox »

So there is a "amplified" setting for terrain generation now as well... Its quite, well... look:

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15038 (isolation #648) » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Post by Rhinox »

so I'm flying around the new snapshot with the amplified terrain generation. Its completely crazy and awesome but there's no way it would work on a server. It would cause so much lag. Examples:

One of a million epic lava falls... this one burning up a jungle

One of a million epic waterfalls... this one falling beautifully into a river
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15041 (isolation #649) » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Post by Rhinox »

yes those are awesome as well.. I flew around a bit and never found any myself.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15048 (isolation #650) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:36 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15042, Tierce wrote:The Mesa is at spawn, if you want to check it, the seed is 914336567356702535 with a default world.
Man that is nice. Perfect spot for a little raiding village right down there in the valley.
izakthegoomba wrote:And there's no way we're going to have Amplified terrain gen on a server.
Right obviously... but the default terrain gen is actually better I think anyways. Amplified is all crazy all the time. Default has variety - flat areas AND mountains, not just Pandora mountains ad infinitum.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15055 (isolation #651) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 am

Post by Rhinox »

guys on vanilla... my melon farm is for aesthetic purposes only please do not farm it the melons don't grow back properly.

Also, its not cool to kill all my cows and leave me with 2 babies. Not cool at all. They take time and resources to breed back. Its essentially griefing. Please stop.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15061 (isolation #652) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:08 am

Post by Rhinox »

Sorry you missed the dragon run ETL I missed it the same way a previous time pretty much last minute no warning. I only made it this time because I happened to be on the computer when izak asked about doing the dragon. It woulda been nice to have a set day and time at least a couple days in advance so more people coulda been involved. I'm sure bulba/chkflp/tierce/etc probably would have liked to have been involved as well.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15062 (isolation #653) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15056, Hiraki wrote:you guys should convert to being more

socialist
Hey we have a public shared farm and whoever uses it has to replant.

If I have 10 cows one day and the next day they're all gone except for 2 babies then thats not cool. Replace what you take, or find your own cows.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15065 (isolation #654) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:35 am

Post by Rhinox »

I posted in thread without assuming it was anyone specifically so people would know not to do it again. This isn't the first time cows have disappeared from my pen. You don't have to spawn me cows back in I don't even know how many I had. I better not find a million cows in my little pen :P

I didn't think I was being inconsiderate. I don't care if people want to harvest my animals as long as they leave me with as many that were there to begin with. So if there are 10, breed them all first, and then kill 5. Same concept as replanting wheat farms/tree farms/etc.

lol Hiraki
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15091 (isolation #655) » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:39 am

Post by Rhinox »

Another
new server?
In post 15079, Rob14 wrote:As for updates, I can make this promise. I will not consider any update that would result in a world restart until a full 6 months have passed.
What about updates that don't
require
a reset but introduce unforseen world-breaking lag/bugs such as lagcastle on mafiacraft? Do you have a plan for that or does that just fall under the technical difficulties umbrella?

I'd suggest - world backup before every update followed by a week long trial period to see if any sort of gamebreaking issues arrise, so that the server could be reverted if something bad happened because of the update.
In post 15084, Rob14 wrote:Again, white-list in effect, so tell me your username here (slower) or on IRC (faster) to get your name added to the list.
Rhinox331

Go ahead and whitelist me, though that doesn't mean I'm actually going to play on the server. Not sure I'm ready to give a modded server another chance yet.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15116 (isolation #656) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:37 am

Post by Rhinox »

happy birthday klaz :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15133 (isolation #657) » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 am

Post by Rhinox »

Should just be able to fill the lava with a gravel pile in at the coordinates you fell in at. When you log back in, you'd spawn on top of the gravel pile, not in the lava or inside the gravel suffocating anyways. Its the same concept as what we used to do to glitch on to the top of the nether. You
might
still be on fire when you log in tho - not sure if being on fire when you log out is remembered the next time you log back in. But other than that, you'd be fine.

Important is to completely fill in the lava at your coord, not just build a platform above it. You'll never spawn "inside" a block. If someone has filled in where you logged out at, you'll always spawn at the next available open space above where you logged out.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15186 (isolation #658) » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:42 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15182, Klazam wrote:I'd like to file a missing animals report.

One horse, with a saddle.
8 cows.

That's all. Thanks, M. :)
In post 15184, Maestro wrote:Klaz: a little while ago we lost ALL the animals in Spawnton on Vanilla except for davroe's Iron-Armored Horse.

:/

I did a lot of work with Spawn Eggs for Tierce and Rhinox last week, lemme tell ya.
I'm also missing my horse and saddle :(

Was this griefing or some kind of glitch?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15188 (isolation #659) » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:16 am

Post by Rhinox »

Did a little research: https://mojang.atlassian.net/browse/MC-23320

could be just a bug then. Seems there is an inconsistent bug where animals can despawn when their chunks are loaded and unloaded. :(

Well thanks for replacing the rest of my animals anyways. Can I get my saddle replaced as well? Don't worry about the horse, you won't be able to replace the exact one I had with a spawn egg I don't think. I'll have to go find a new one. *sniff* poor cinnamon :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15190 (isolation #660) » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'm at work now and won't be able to get on for another 6 or 7 hours. I didn't see that horse when I hopped on this morning but I'll grab it if I can find it when I get on later, thanks :)

I'm actually thinking about building a second home off in a plains biome I found recently. There were a lot of horse spawn variations there so I was going to try to tame them all and do some breeding. Try to max out some stats and get all the color variations.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15233 (isolation #661) » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:54 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15232, Rob14 wrote:Over the past few days, I've put in quite a bit of time and effort to try to find whatever d-bag thought it would be a good idea to steal/grief in RobCraft.
I have a pretty narrow list at this point as to who could have been involved. This is basically a list of every person who I couldn't explicitly verify as NOT able to commit the deed based on completely objective criteria. The people on the list quite frankly disappoint me.
There was no-one online and able to do this except regulars - people I've known for nearly a year now, and who I would have expected much better from.

I do not enjoy doing this. I do not enjoy it at all. The only reason I'm running a server is so that people I enjoy hanging out with and myself can have fun. Being griefed is not fun, so here is my solution. If you lost anything, hit me up with item IDs and quantities and I will spawn it back in. Be generous with your quantities - if you think you lost 15-20 of something, just say 20. Fuck it, who cares. If this ever happens again,
everyone on that list, minus anyone who was not online whatsoever during the window of the second instance of griefing, will be permanently banned with no appeal, regardless of who you are
. There are no people on that list who I would expect this from, and I'm deeply disappointed that whoever it is felt it necessary to put myself and the rest of the server in a position where something like this had to be said.

I'm running this server because I want to allow people to have fun, and I'm willing to do a hell of a lot to help out, but I'm not going to jump through hoops and play Detective Rob because some asshole wants to be an asshole. In conclusion, a big "fuck you" to whoever did this.
umm I don't know what happened but is it safe to assume that those on The List (tm) have been informed / talked to about what happened? I don't really appreciate that a post like this leaves me not knowing whether or not I'm under suspicion for something I didn't do or that I might get kicked off the server for what someone else does based on the grounds of "not being explicitly verified as NOT able to commit the deed based on completely objective criteria".
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15255 (isolation #662) » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:45 am

Post by Rhinox »

Skyblock? yespls if you'll have me :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15267 (isolation #663) » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15265, Klazam wrote:8 PM EST Skyblock tomorrow. Use the FTB Unleashed 1.1.4 pack with every mod enabled. I will be posting the server IP then.
Yeah..... I'll be at the AL WC game so I won't be playing
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15273 (isolation #664) » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:40 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15268, fuzzybutternut wrote:That's fine Rhino. You can always join Thursday night.
works for me :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15407 (isolation #665) » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:06 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15402, Klazam wrote:Jesus. Just realized i got the game on oct 3. More than a year of being addicted to this shit. 0.o
In post 15403, Xalxe wrote:My anniversary is somewhere around Easter. I'm at about a year and a half.
I bought Minecraft on August 11, 2011 - over 2 years for me :D
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15422 (isolation #666) » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

Needs moar creeper
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15499 (isolation #667) » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:55 am

Post by Rhinox »

I was confused about what the problem was but I think I understand now.... 1.6.4 is kinda like a transitional update that we have to update to first in order to transfer the world to 1.7, and once in 1.6.4 every structure that has been generated at some previous point has to be visited and loaded in 1.6.4 or else it will break when transferring to 1.7. Is that pretty much the jist of it?

Anyways I'm fine with pretty much anything that needs to be done. I haven't had a lot of time for minecraft recently. After 1.7 my plan was t just take an inv full of stuff and go play in the new 1.7 biomes so update or full restart doesn't matter too much to me. I only found 1 desert temple I was considering building around at some point but I mean I can always go find a new one in 1.7 right? Strongholds could be a problem for whenever we want to go to the end. I wouldn't consider it aboose to spawn in a portal if we've lost access to all of them but we should have to earn it by building a structure or temple or something worthy of holding the portal first maybe?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15547 (isolation #668) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:45 am

Post by Rhinox »

If people come back to play again I'll probably play again too :)

If this happens before thanksgiving, I've got a couple days off from work leading into the weekend with nothing to do ;)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15578 (isolation #669) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54 am

Post by Rhinox »

I know what I'll be doing all night :D
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15605 (isolation #670) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Post by Rhinox »

I went on a quest. AKA, I randomly explored whilst taking absolutely nothing with me... no armor, weapons, tools, food, etc. I pretty much +/- a few hundred circled the perimeter out to +1000/-1000 in each coordinate. The most interesting place I found was a savannah plateau IMO. I was looking for a mesa but no luck. Found a few ocean type places not sure if they were connected or not. Found a huge desert that went on for almost 1000 blocks. Slaughtered a bunch of pigs for food and managed to make a bed and bring it home with me. Didn't find a NPC village at all which kinda surprised me. I didn't explore everywhere within the square kilometer around 0,0 but it seems like there might not be everything in there. I was trying not to explore too far away from spawn but we might have to to find all the cool stuff.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15609 (isolation #671) » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:03 am

Post by Rhinox »

woo I finally found a village!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15626 (isolation #672) » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 am

Post by Rhinox »

yay blake :)

I'm currently making safe a village a couple thousand blocks from spawn. Its actually a nice location in a savanna biome near a couple plateaus and a desert. Its the only village I've seen so far so I figure I'll make it safe in case anyone wants to do a villager trading area. After I get it all lit up and get the wall up I'll build a portal and make a path back to spawn area. I got distracted clearing out the abandoned mines I dug into beneath the village :P. Got a couple stacks of rails out of it so far. I'm not planning on spending too much time at the village though, I wanna keep searching for a mesa biome.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15628 (isolation #673) » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15627, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:Rhi that is awesome! Having it so far from spawn is actually, imo, a great thing. Keeps lag down. :wink:

If you get the portal set up, let me know where everything is; I'd be happy to help build a wall or whatever it is you had in mind.
Cool I'll let you know. I'm only putting up a cobble wall for now to keep the hordes away so you or anyone can come in and make a better looking wall if you'd like.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15636 (isolation #674) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

It was a sad night in the village.

I had been mining to collect cobble and coal to wall in and light up the village to keep the poor villagers safe. In the mean time, they were all blocked in their houses so the zombies wouldn't get them at night. I ran into an abandoned mine and started clearing through it. Every now and then I'd come up and build a little more wall and light up a bit more area. But last night, when I came up from the mine the last time, I found my villagers had been raptured/abducted by aliens/whatever. They didn't leave a note so I know they did not choose to leave on their own volition. I have failed them. I no longer have a purpose to remain in the village. In fact, it is now creepy, all abandoned and alone. Every now and then, I think I hear them talking. I hear a
"HUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
out there in the night. But when I search, I can not find them. They haunt me.

So, uh, anyways, yeah. Villagers are gone. They despawned or something. It was sad, but now I must move on.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15647 (isolation #675) » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:35 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15642, Claus wrote:
In post 15640, 1baldeagle1 wrote:Look what I found in my adventures today:

Spoiler:

I'm pretty sure that's a rare biome.
It is pretty rare! Beautiful!

Lucky you :-) Have fun!
Yep thats the ice spike biome. Nice find!

Now we just need to find the mesa
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15687 (isolation #676) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:50 am

Post by Rhinox »

I can now get from my village to spawn by nether :). If anyone wonders what the 3x3 tunnel connecting to the nether paths, thats my nether highway... or will be eventually. Not finished yet, just a tunnel for now, not even labeled.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15690 (isolation #677) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15689, 1baldeagle1 wrote:Still looking for a mesa, I'm pretty far out. I'm going to have to hook up a nether portal from the mesa to spawn and build a highway. @Rh, how's the mesa hunt coming along?

I'm willing to give out the coords for the first Ice Spikes biome, because I found another one. Coords: X: 3176 Y: 95 Z: 1835. The second Ice Spikes biome is very big, and it's pretty far from spawn, but the first one is more reasonably closer to spawn. Enjoy. :)
Oh good we're exploring for a mesa in opposite directions :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15691 (isolation #678) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Post by Rhinox »

I haven't found one yet either
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15729 (isolation #679) » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Would you guys consider a nether railway useful? So far stations would be at my village, spawn area, desert/jungle portal, and ice spike portal.

I ask because my nether road was going to have rail and be extended to the mentioned portals, but it would require some work to become pigman-proof, and isn't exactly pretty looking.

I'd have made my life easier if I'd have just went with a 1x2 tunnel instead of 3x3, but 1x2 always just seems so claustrophobic :P. If I keep it a walkway only I can save resources and I wouldn't have to extend it to the other portals since paths already exist to there.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15732 (isolation #680) » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15731, Pizzadudes7 wrote:
In post 15730, Bulbazak wrote:
In post 15729, Rhinox wrote:Would you guys consider a nether railway useful? So far stations would be at my village, spawn area, desert/jungle portal, and ice spike portal.
I was actually considering that, since we are going to be going further and further out, and having a railway system in the nether would be better than a far larger one in the overworld.
I think what may be better is some sort of Hub. I'd hate for us to make all these railways then have to reroute them all through a hub, so if we do it, it should be done soon.
What did you have in mind for a hub?

My road/rail is more a trans-nether highway than a way to get directly to everyone's portals like a hub system. They can both work together I think?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15734 (isolation #681) » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Anyways, this is what I need to do to pigman proof my road:

Basically, the outside emergency walkways have to be changed from blocks to slabs, and the rail has to have a solid+transparent block like a glass pane or something else you don't suffocate in (glowstone, fence, half slab, etc) to make sure there is only a 1-block high space above the rail, because pigmen can spawn on top of rails and every block rails can be placed on. Its not very elegant or particularly aesthetically pleasing, but its what needs to be done to have a functional rail in the nether that isn't constantly blocked by pigmen. Probably would have been easier with a 1x2 tunnel but I hate 1x2 tunnels :P

See below, you just phase through the transparent blocks in the minecart without taking damage. Ramps need to be even more creative with gates and activator rails to work. Pain in the ass really which is why I was asking whether people would actually like to use the rail system. Not really worth it to do it if nobody will use it.

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15742 (isolation #682) » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15740, Tierce wrote:Wood isn't much better because, you know, flammable materials in the Nether.
Yeah I meant to say something about the wood tunnel to the spawn portal in the nether, but well it hasn't burnt up yet #YOLOLOLO

Izak I really like that look to your tunnel with the nether brick and stone brick. I'd love to do my tunnels like that if I could, but I don't know if I can handle all that smelting... And it takes 4x the coal/charcoal to make nether brick as other smelted blocks. :(

Hardened clay isn't exactly easy to get either, but just wanted to throw it out as an option (if it is ghast-proof?) since it can be stained different colors.

And Tierce pointed out to me that mobs are supposed to be afraid of rails so the glass on top of the rails might not be needed? I haven't been able to confirm or deny on the internet anywhere yet, so I was just planning on throwing my rails down without the glass and seeing if I ever find any pigmen standing on them. Just need to ghast-proof my road first, don't want ghasts destroying any rails.

-----------------------

In unrelated news, I'm also building an obsidian generator that will convert redstone to obsidian. Some people may consider it cheating, but I don't since you still need to use resources to get the obby, and you still need diamond to mine the obby blocks (not to mention the devs left the 'bug' in as a feature for many updates now). I'll let you guys know when its ready and where it is. I was gonna build it in my village but I might build it near spawn so more people have convenient access.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15749 (isolation #683) » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15744, Klazam wrote:
In post 15743, My Milked Eek wrote:A nether railway station?
Aren't we going to build one in the overworld? I love riding through the scenery :)
I'd honestly prefer this.

I already started one from my place to spawn.

Really I'm only building my rail to get from my place to spawn and to the extreme west places baldeagle is exploring to (ice spikes, mesa eventually), and to where ever far east I explore to. It really is just intended to be an east-west trans-nether highway.

If people want to build nether or overworld rails to anywhere, what I'm working on doesn't have to be part of the system. I like overworld too but I'd need 8 times as many rails and other resources to build a railway from my village to spawn in the overworld, and 8 times the time to do the necessary grading and extra time to make nice looking bridges/elevation for the rail to keep them mob proof, and I'm not ready to tackle that project yet.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15754 (isolation #684) » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:31 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15753, Pizzadudes7 wrote:I don't like the idea of scorching the landscape with above-ground rails.
They're fine if they're done right. :shrug:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15777 (isolation #685) » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15776, Tierce wrote:While we are at it, is there really any benefit in making one's Nether-side portals accurate to Y? Building them near the roof sounds much safer, and easier to tunnel through since there are few holes reaching that high.
Yes and no...

say your OW portal is 50 blocks below your nether portal in the Y. If someone else builds a portal on top of a mountain 40 blocks away from you in X,Z then it could break your nether to OW portal link.

In practice I'd say that's probably not very likely to happen often but it could in places like around spawn where people are building portals relatively close together. The tierce portal and spawn mountain portal come to mind as a pair relatively close together in the OW but on different Y elevations.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15779 (isolation #686) » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

Y has to matter - otherwise if you stacked 2 portals on top of the overworld and only had one portal in the nether, the game wouldn't know which portal to spit you out of.

Basically it works like this. If a nether portal is at (10, 100, 10) to make it simple, it will want to spit you out in the overworld to the closest portal to (80, 100, 80). If there are only portals in the OW at (80, 50, 80) and (120, 100, 80), then it will choose the portal at X:120 since it is only 40 blocks away. The one at the same X,Z is 50 blocks away.

Minecraft Wiki wrote:Zones of exclusion - The Nether portal spawning algorithm can only spawn portals that are within a 33x33 block column centered on the destination. This will often cause it to spawn a portal at a location significantly different than the corresponding location in the other world. The larger the distance between two linked portals, the larger the zone of exclusion. This zone is the area in each world where you cannot build another portal without breaking the link between the first two portals. One way to think of this zone is as spheres around each portal, each of a true radius equal to its distance to the other. For example, if the Normal world portal was at (0,50,0) and the Nether portal at (0,100,0), then each portal is 50 meters away from the other. In this (simple) case, if a Nether portal was built closer than 50 meters to (0,50,0), then the Normal World portal will now link to it.
If you wish to ensure that two portals link together, manually build portals as close as possible in all 3 coordinate axes. It doesn't have to be exact, or even all that close, if the player ensures that no other portals will be constructed in the exclusion zone created by the difference.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15780 (isolation #687) » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:43 am

Post by Rhinox »

Y usually don't matter in practice though because portals are usually far enough apart in X and Z, OW portals are generally pretty close to the same Y anyways, and usually no one goes out of their way to be farther away in Y in the nether than they need to be (whereever the convenient open area for a portal is at the desired X,Z).
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15787 (isolation #688) » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:06 am

Post by Rhinox »

Whats up with bag end by the way? is it no longer the spawn guest house? I couldn't find a way in yesterday :P

I got a bit of minecraftin' in before work this morning and started ghast-proofing my road between my village and spawn. Soon you'll be able to taunt all the silly ghasties safe behind glass block walls :P

Road currently goes from my village, through spawn, all the way to the desert/jungle village portal. After I finish ghast-proofing I'll start laying rails (but probably don't have enough yet). From there the tunnel will head west to the ice spike portal, and from there I'll need info from baldeagle to share any discoveries further west than that worth tunneling too.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15803 (isolation #689) » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Vanilla server is down :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15834 (isolation #690) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:55 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15831, Maestro wrote:Ok, well, as much as I hate to admit it all inventories and Ender Chests look clear and I can't find any direct evidence in any readily available chests.
Thats disappointing :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15836 (isolation #691) » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

Lovely aquaduct you have there. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the rest of the castle. Your stuff is usually pretty interesting and creative.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15843 (isolation #692) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15839, Tierce wrote:Back to the skellie farm--

I suspect skeletons are getting backed up in the system, Klaz. I can see drops at the bottom of the water elevator, and there are never really more than ~10 skeletons dropped. They are dying up there. It's no longer a mob cap limit (wooo, thanks!), but there's some failure in the system somewhere.
In post 15840, izakthegoomba wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure the water setup you're using is limiting the efficiency.
I noticed when I went to visit it yesterday that sometimes skellies would get stuck going into the elevator - might be possible some are drowning right at the bottom before they even go up.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15846 (isolation #693) » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:21 am

Post by Rhinox »

Rhino Railway is now in beta!
The above is spawn station. It's a 2-way station. put your minecart on the slope under the sign that says where you want to go. The arrows on the sign point in the direction you will go. Then get in and press the button to go. For example, to get from spawn station to my village, you'd start under the sign on the
right
side of the station, and then the minecart will travel
left
towards my village.

Right now, you can travel between (My Village)<-->(Spawn Station)<-->(Desert/Jungle Village)
<-->(Ice Spikes Biome)*

*currently still in progress

I haven't put the glass up yet to pigman proof the tunnels so occasionally they may spawn, but it hasn't been happening very often. I haven't got stopped by a pigman yet. It is not recommended to hop out of a moving minecart - it is possible to end up outside of the tunnel.

If you do make the trip out to my village, you're welcome to bring your own redstone and diamond pick and make all the obsidian you want in my obsidian generator!

Its right next to the nether portal. Instructions are on the signs, should be pretty self-explanatory. Place redstone as shown next to the water in front of the obby block, then just push the button, mine the new obby block that forms, place new redstone, and repeat as much as you'd like. Don't mine the second obby block - its only there as a backstop so the structure doesn't get accidentally destroyed after the new obby block is mined.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15854 (isolation #694) » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Post by Rhinox »

LOL MME and I both got the idea to take a screenie at the same time :D

Osota was staring deeply at the sky... I was wondering what did he see up there?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15860 (isolation #695) » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:02 am

Post by Rhinox »

I think he was referring to the armor part :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15863 (isolation #696) » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:20 am

Post by Rhinox »

woo cool I'll check it out tonight. I just started rewatching the LOTR trilogy :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15865 (isolation #697) » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:21 am

Post by Rhinox »

saw it last friday. Was pissed when it ended.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15878 (isolation #698) » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by Rhinox »

bag end is really cool :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15883 (isolation #699) » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:27 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15882, Osota wrote:Rhino, I have crafted the rails we need. Working on mining the gold for the 33 power rails for this other line. Let you know when I am done.

Osota
Just so you don't kill yourself, I still have like 37ish power rails and plenty of gold to make a ton more if needed.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15933 (isolation #700) » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:28 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'm gonna start up my maze project again. Gonna be smaller in scale than I was planning in the past (so that there is a greater chance I actually finish it) - will be a 27x27x27 block cube maze in full 3D (no cross dimensional nether 4D maze yet...). That puts the bottleneck to when it gets done at the maze generation itself. I'm currently trying to write some code to generate a minimum spanning tree in 3D using a randomized prim's algorithm, but so far it hasn't been going well. I understand the algorithm just fine, just not the coding necessary to do it. I may have to give up and just draw the maze myself randomly, unless someone who knows code and is really bored can whip something up for me real quick. :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15934 (isolation #701) » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:12 am

Post by Rhinox »

Woo having a breakthrough today using VBA to drive an excel worksheet generating a schematic of my maze. Might actually be able to pull this off afterall :D
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15943 (isolation #702) » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Here's a little sneak peak of what I accomplished today:

The above example was generated by manually stepping through my code in debug mode to test and make sure its working properly. Found something I need to tweak tomorrow, and then I should be able to loop and generate the whole maze. I'm off on vacation until the 2nd, so maybe that is enough time to get this thing working and built in the game.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15944 (isolation #703) » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Oh and I'm tempted to build the whole thing out of obsidian and leave it dark :twisted:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15946 (isolation #704) » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15945, Pizzadudes7 wrote:
In post 15944, Rhinox wrote:Oh and I'm tempted to build the whole thing out of obsidian and leave it dark :twisted:
On a scale of 1 to "I'm not gonna fight mobs while doing the maze", that scores a solid 10.5
yeah don't worry. It wouldn't work anyways because I don't think there is a way to creeper-proof the ladders. Plus the cube is pretty much to small to allow mobs to spawn anyways while you're inside.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15947 (isolation #705) » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:00 am

Post by Rhinox »

And... Success! I can now generate a random 27x27x27 cube 3D maze scematic (13x13x9 nodes in game) in a minute or 2 :D
Spoiler: Example Full Schematic
Levels 1, 2, 3 (top down view):
Levels 4, 5, 6:
Levels 7, 8, 9:

Red squares represent ladders up to the next level. Blue represents ladders down to the previous level. Purple represents ladders both up and down to adjacent levels.

Naturally I won't be building that particular maze now that I've gone and posted the schematic :twisted:, but I'll be building 1 very much like that. Now I can play around with different starting node seeds until I get something I like.

Not sure how difficult a maze it is really... Looks hard on paper, and its hard to follow paths in schematic format just because its easy to lose track of where you are when jumping between grids. In game may be easier due to being able to visualize the 3 dimensions, or it may be even more difficult due to not being able to see very far in front of you and where you are in relation to the rest of the maze.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15950 (isolation #706) » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:53 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15948, Tierce wrote:Really neat, Rhinox. (You can be mean and build it out of ice and/or glass... don't be so mean as to make it obsidian in the dark! :eek:) Where would the exit be, in that schematic?
Exit can technically be anywhere, as there is only 1 correct path from any one node to any other node. If I were building that maze, I'd probably start in the big room in level 1 and make the exit at one of the corners in level 9 (lower right grid).

Glass maze would be really fun if multiple people were doing the maze at the same time. We could see where everyone is! But with all the ladders, I'm not sure it would work too well in practice. I don't think ladders can be placed on glass blocks, can they?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15951 (isolation #707) » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:54 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15949, Osota wrote:Hope everyone is having a great holiday! Since it is classified as the season of giving I have a present for everyone! I hid it below since it is a surprise! =)

Spoiler: Click for your Present!
Today while I was finishing up the map for the Temple of the Midnight Sun area I was lucky enough to stumble on.....a MESA biome! I'll be setting up a portal to it tonight and adding a stop on the Rhino Railway route that connects to the Temple and my Ocean House (Gold Route). This way people can access it quickly.

Hope everyone has a great Holiday!
:D yay!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15963 (isolation #708) » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Merry Christmas everyone!

server just locked up on me, just as I made it back to my house from the wilderness. Heading to bed now anyways, so santa can come :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15964 (isolation #709) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: Where did the desert go?

40x82, in case anyone was wondering. (and I still need about 2/3 of a dbl chest more sand stone >.>)

so yeah almost time to start building the maze. If anyone is interested, I'm looking for ideas for pixel art (25x25) for the 4 exterior sides of the maze, to be done in stained glass. Also, anyone have ideas for what to do with a large, flat, open area in the desert, I'm open to suggestions there as well :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16017 (isolation #710) » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: Its bigger than it looks
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16080 (isolation #711) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16070, Chevre wrote:Actually, I wouldn't really mind, because starting over in Minecraft is always sort of fun.
haha tierce and MME have already pretty much covered it, but

N

O

!

In post 16074, Xalxe wrote:1) don't build ugly shit
2) no seriously please don't

Those are the rules.
In post 16075, Xayzeck wrote:Hahaha, that'll be easy x]

But I'd like to know if everyone is far off or if there's a place for community stuff. If everybody is off on their own it won't be as fun.

Lol yeah thats about it but there are a couple more than that. Namely we are a cooperative server we don't PVP without both parties consent and we don't steal each other's stuff/mess with each others builds/etc. Failure to abide by these rules leads brings the swift just of M's hammer down upon you.

We're all generally close but separate at this point. But YES to the discussion of community village build :). It doesn't even have to be an NPC village to start - I remember last time we started at an NPC village first we repurposed an expanded all the houses, then we tore down and rebuilt on their lots. By the time we were finished, there was hardly any trace of the original NPC village left :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16126 (isolation #712) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 am

Post by Rhinox »

welcome to the forums :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16128 (isolation #713) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16127, Claus wrote:
In post 16121, T-Bone wrote:Why are we switching to a snapshot instead of a stable build?
I thought the original idea for this incarnation of the Vanilla server was for it to stay on the bleeding edge of Vanilla?
yeah that was the idea. I don't know if it still is since we reset the world with the biome update. With all the new activity on vanilla and all the cool stuff people have been building, I kinda like the keep updating but only to the proven stable snapshots like we've been doing. It would be a real shame to lose this world to a bad snapshot or something within our control like that. This is a pretty awesome world so far :). Challenging the first vanilla server (that hardly anyone playing now even remembers) for my new favorite world.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16133 (isolation #714) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:04 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16129, My Milked Eek wrote:Is that the world that got griefed? With Bay Eek?
yes! While other worlds have been awesome in their own ways, that one has always been my favorite. This world reminds me of that in many ways, only as a community we're building much cooler things now than we were back then, so its got potential to be even better :)

edit: thats not to say people weren't building cool things back then as well, just that collectively as a group we've gotten better at minecraft over the years
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16139 (isolation #715) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:07 am

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: Part 1 to ETL
In post 16123, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:SOOOO YAH.

I finally fixed my vanilla. Nice pyramid near my house but like... this was my space. And someone just put a line of cobble cutting off my desert. And that's not very nice.

So I'm moving. You can have my space when I'm done tearing it down.

I AM TEARING DOWN THAT WALL. BAD. :mad:
I know we talked about this on IRC and in game last night and all, and M asked not to fight about the wall anymore which I'm not going to do, I just wanted to formally apologize for building my maze pyramid in your area - I didn't realize that was your area. Another player had a temp shelter in the area where I started building, and that player said they had abandoned the project they were planning and gave me their blessing to build there. I got opinions/blessings from pretty much all the most active players on the server before I started building so that I wouldn't upset anyone with my build. Originally, I was going to build a cube maze, but one player didn't like that idea since I was in their line of sight so we talked about it and agreed that changing to a pyramid would be better (and I really think the pyramid is turning out better than a cube would have anyways, so its really a win-win). The one thing I didn't want to do was upset anyone by building a mega-structure somewhere people didn't like. At the same time, I'm building the maze for the whole server community, not myself, so I wanted to be somewhat close to spawn where people would find and visit the maze regularly, and not have to make a journey away from civilization to visit it where it might never be seen more than once by everyone. I knew your house was right there but I didn't know how much area you had claimed. All your builds (tree farm, animal pens, etc) were on the opposite side of your house from where I built, and I thought I had given you enough of a berth even on the backside of your house that I wouldn't be encroaching on your area. If you'd have been online, I certainly would have asked you if it was OK for me to build there and if you'd have said no, then I'd have moved elsewhere. Its not your fault, but I hadn't seen you online in weeks, ever since you started up your modded server. I didn't know if you had abandoned the area or the server all together. You mentioned that your tree farm was blown up - I don't know who did it or when it happened, but it has been like that since before I started building there. But still thats on me, I definitely should have tracked you down on IRC or something and asked you for your blessing regardless of not seeing you around the server for a while. If you hate it and want me to tear it down, I'll do it and move elsewhere. However, I really hope you don't ask me to do that because I've put in almost a month of work on this project so far since I started collecting resources and I'd really hate to have to basically start over. I know we talked last night and you seemed OK with it once you saw it was me and what I was doing inside, but I just wanted you to know that if it was your area and you had plans that didn't include a giant pyramid in your backyard, that I would remove it if you asked it of me.

----------

Spoiler: Part 2 to everybody
I also wanted to kick off some kind of discussion on the unspoken courtesies of the server, to hopefully avoid something like this happening in the future. Some people may think it doesn't need a discussion, that its simply "don't build walls in people's areas", but its probably not that simple for everyone and that we need to come to an understanding to make sure everyone is on the same page. We haven't needed this discussion for a while because vanilla has been so inactive for a long time, but with renewed interest and people rejoining from different areas and having different expectations, I think we have to do a better job communicating what all our own individual expectations are so that we don't inadvertantly violate someone elses expectations.

First, a little history lesson. There have been 4 major mafiascum vanilla worlds I have been a part of. There may have been one or 2 earlier worlds before I joined, but I believe the first world I was a part of is what most consider the first major, longstanding world. The world lasted for at least a year, and passed through ~5 or maybe even more Ops/owners/hosts. This server had the "pit of minor inconvenience" (when the world was formed, spawn was in a 2-block high pit, and because it was under spawn protection, no one could get out :P), and we had spawn bay - an area around spawn where people build houses and developed a nice little spawn area. It is remarkably similar to how our current server spawn area is developing - organically, footpaths between places, no walls, etc. But it was generally understood that people didn't really claim large areas around spawn - just enough to build a modest house and decorate the immediate area, maybe dig a mine with the understanding that someone else might dig into your mine due to proximity, and there was an understanding that pretty much anywhere within close proximity to spawn bay was fair game as far as new people coming in and building a house. There wasn't even a no ugly builds rule, so if someone wanted to build an all-1-blocktype box house just down the street from your mansion, it could/would happen. The understanding was that if you wanted to have a huge area or control the type of builds around it (or request that no one build around your area), then you would move a distance away from spawn bay and be secluded.

The second world was also a major world and lasted a good while, but it formed a little differently. Spawn was manually placed in a nice area on a mountain overlooking a NPC village. The NPC village was the starting point of spawn town. First we moved in and took over buildings and built a small wall around the area that we lit up within for mob proofing. eventually we would tear down most of the original NPC village and replace them with custom houses/bases. We had all sorts of community farms within, and when we filled up everywhere within the wall, we would tear a section down and expand. Pretty much any empty space inside the wall was considered community space that anyone could build on. If people had plans for areas, people would put up signs and post in thread saying so. I built a small house on the bay, and built a fenced boardwalk along the coast instead of a solid wall for the mob-proofing there. The house was mine, but the boardwalk was community - even housed the nether portal for a while. We had tunnels connecting all the houses underground - the origin of the Hub, and scenic underground and above ground walk ways up to spawn from the village. And like the previous server, it was pretty much anything goes inside spawn town, and if you wanted your own base/area, you moved away from spawn. It was even more exaggerated than the previous server because spawn town was even higher in build density than spawn bay of the previous server.

The third world is kinda a dark age. I'll call it the "snapshot" world. There was very little activity. Only a few of us were regularly active. The death of theprevious world and throughout this one was when the modded worlds were at their high point, so most chose to play on modded. Because of there being so little activity, there was really little collaboration. At least not as much as in the past. People could pretty much claim any size area they wanted right near spawn, and still be out of site of the nearest neighbor if you'd like. This was all because of the low activity, really, and not because we've changed how we played. And we still had things like the infamous giant wooden cube house that popped up one day in between my farm and another's area.

That brings me to this world and the point of the history lesson. Currently, vanilla is as popular as it was at the peak of the golden ages between world 1 and world 2. We are a much more diverse community. We have "old timers" who started playing during the first "spawn bay" world and before. A large portion of the community started playing during the walled "spawn town" world, and a few didn't join the community until the "snapshot" world that was almost like playing SSP on a server. Naturally, people from the different ages of the server have different ideas for how to play minecraft. Some prefer to just go out and build somewhere and don't organize a walled spawntown and just develop areas naturally, like the first server. Some want to recreate the highly connected community walled spawn town of the second server. Some are used to life in the "snapshot" server, just wanting to claim an are and do what they want with it and not see ugly things in their line of sight. Some people just want bits and pieces - the bests - of each world, but people have different idea of what the bests really are.

So, when something like a cobble line indicating where a wall would go shows up in your back yard, I just want people to realize that its not because someone was disrespecting your area - in fact its likely people didn't even realize it was your area. In the major past servers, the area around spawn was typically a fair game communitity area, and as long as people were not literally right on top of another build, it was free space to build there. Nobody had signs up indicating how much space they had claimed, except for maybe the Kc's swamp sign. I don't think anybody really knew they were violating anybody's spaces, because traditionally they were far enough away from the builds to be outside of "spaces" - in previous servers, nobody claimed big areas around spawn, and areas they did claim and had plans for and wanted to make sure no one built into, they put up signs saying as much.

I feel partly responsible, because when the discussion of where to build "new spawn town" was going on, some people were planning on building it away from spawn, and others didn't think that would make a good spawn town because it was too far away from spawn. I supported/suggested building a spawn town actually around spawn - but I wasn't aware until it was actually happening what it actually meant, with the wall, and where it was going, and the cutting down trees that happened.

But thats why we need to have this discussion now I think. In past servers, the wall that was laid out wouldn't have broken any of the unspoken rules. But probably before actually starting to do any work, there should have been more of a discussion on the forums here about if an organized spawn town was wanted, if a wall was wanted, where should it be, etc - and actually, there was some talk about it in the forums and nobody who was posting really voiced any objections to the idea of a spawn town. I guess more planning should have happened first though. And we need to have an understanding about things like how close to builds are considered claimed areas, and should people mark their claimed areas better? I mean, just for example where the wall was marked near the bag end side of spawn, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about building a house in there behind on the coast between KC's swamp and tierce's barn. I wouldn't have known that was claimed area, or that I wasn't far enough away from the existing builds. I mean, there was Kc's sign, and I know how tierce likes her area based on playing with her on the snapshot server so I probably wouldn't have built there especially not without asking for permission. But for people just returning now who didn't really play on the snapshot and are tryin to recreate past experiences, that area certainly would have been considered far enough away to be a fair place to build.

I know this is a long post and I see I didn't get it posted in time before tempers started flaring again :( but I was just hoping to let all parties have a better understanding about where people were coming from - why people wanted a wall, why people built it where they did and didn't think it would be a problem, and why people are maybe not liking the wall in their areas.

I really love this server, this world, and this community, as if that isn't obvious by how long I've been a part of it, and I am absolutely thrilled that vanilla is getting popular again and people who played 2 or 3 servers ago are coming back and building cool things again. But this is really just a big misunderstanding based on different personalities and expectations of people who started playing in diferent eras. I was online, I should have maybe said something about waiting/planning/etc before we start laying down the outline but I was too obsessed with working on my maze at the time so thats on me. People building maybe were a little too enthusiastic about getting started without planning but I don't really hold enthusiasm against them - no one acted out of malice, and people did think they were building for the community. Other people maybe reacted a little too hostile/negatively to the situation but they didn't really know what was going on. In the end there's no harm done. No reason to rage at each other, no reason to rage quit or not have any more community involvement. Everyone just needs to quit yelling at each other and realize where people are coming from.

I'd still like a spawn town, walled or not. I haven't even built a house yet on the server because I was waiting for an area to start developing so I could build there with the community. Maybe we just let the bay side of spawn mountain develop naturally without a wall as it is now, and build a walled spawn town on the death games side of spawn mountain?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16141 (isolation #716) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:19 am

Post by Rhinox »

Oh and before I forget, there is some really minor creeper damage to the path and bridge between bag and and the bridge to ETL's place. Not more than a couple stone and cobble blocks and maybe an acacia log. It happened during the crazy lag yesterday morning before M restarted the server. Person who got creepered didn't even realize - right after it happened M restarted the server and I was just gonna fix it and not bother making a thing of it but I didn't have time/resources to do it.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16149 (isolation #717) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:54 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16142, Tierce wrote:Thanks for the history lesson, Rhinox. It's appreciated, though I don't think anyone faults you for what happened.
I know but I mean like maru was going to go start setting up a wall template around MME's village for the community "spawn" town building area and I was partially to blame for encouraging him to build a spawn town actually at spawn. So I feel like none of this would have happened if I wouldn't have said anything and I don't want maru to read the thread later and go through all this again thinking he's being wrung out to dry on something that's not entirely his doing. I just want us all to get along :(
Tierce wrote:I love nothing more than detail work with outdoor features.
That reminds me, I was going to ask if you'd be interested in helping out with some of the aesthetic features and details outside my maze? I'm no good with that stuff - I'm an engineer/architect, not an artist/designer. I can make good looking structures, but I'm not good at putting in detail work. The first area I'd want to develop is the entrance plaza - its where the nether portal will be, the OW entrance, and the staircase leading to the entrance of the maze. I've got the basic structure planned out in excel - If you're willing and interested, I can mark out the area and basically give you free reign to go nuts and make it look awesome. Eventually I'd like to turn the whole peninsula into a small themed city so there would be a lot more work to follow that I'd love for you and anyone else interested to help with when/if I get that far. I'm thinking a theme based on the slaver's bay cities in Song of Ice and Fire (meereen, yunkaii, astapor) - nothing strictly following the canon, just that style. Thought it would go nice with the desert and stepped pyramid. what do you think?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16152 (isolation #718) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16151, T-Bone wrote:OH GOD NEVER CLICK ON THE SUPER SECRET SETTINGS
bwahaha
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16168 (isolation #719) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Post by Rhinox »

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

Grand opening of my pyramid maze will be soon! I made some major progress tonight and finished the major part of the work. As of this moment, the interior of the pyramid is closed and off limits until the grand opening event, while I complete the finishing touches. This weekend would be possible and ideal except I will be out of town and unable to join in the fun. Probably will have to be sometime next week or next weekend. Basically, I think it would be fun to arrange a time for everyone who wants to try the maze to get online at the same time and enter the maze all at once. Kinda have a race to see who can get out the fastest, maybe have M around to teleport out anyone who gives up during the event (after the event will be don't go in unless you intend to find your own way out probably, or beg M for rescue on your own).

So yeah,
anyone who is interested and wants to be part of the event, post here saying so, and give a general idea of your availability between the 20th-26th
so I can pick a good time everyone will be able to participate if they choose.

I'm really excited. This is essentially the maze I've been wanting to build for maybe as long as 2 years and its finally happening. :) I hope lots of you will join in and enjoy!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16176 (isolation #720) » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:39 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16174, Untrod Tripod wrote:the server is lagging incredibly hard. is there a known cause?
If I had to guess, it is some kind of memory leak in the snapshot. It wasn't happening before the snapshot like this, and it gets better when the server is restarted. We had some minor lag before the snapshot upgrade, but that went away when klaz upgraded the server to 2gigs. Then we upgraded to the snapshot and the lag came back much worse like you're experiencing.

I could be wrong, but that seems to make sense with whats happening.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16183 (isolation #721) » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

huh... thats something alright, but idk if that's what is causing the current problems.

I mean, the day you were afk at your village breeder, so many villagers spawned that hostile mobs stopped spawning at night, because we were over the mob limit. Lag was bad then for sure, but the recent lag has been bad AND new mobs continue to spawn, which tells me we're not hitting a mob limit. Mobs not despawning like you described can't be good in general, but idk if digging holes every to go kill chickens is really going to fix the problem we've been having.

Was anyone else online when UT was complaining about the lag this morning? Because, a zombie horde under tierce's base wouldn't be causing problems for the whole server if the chunks weren't loaded. Though, it probably explains the frame rate drop when approaching your house though, tierce.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16196 (isolation #722) » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Post by Rhinox »

That is amazing. Did you do that already on this server? I tried to do a kind of expanding stacked branch mine system like that in the past and never got close to making it that far.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16244 (isolation #723) » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16236, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
In post 16229, Maruchan wrote:ETL, I just saw your sign, is the entire desert and the hilly biome behind it at spawn yours?
no lol....
Just dont build too close to my pyramid so I have plenty of room for my slavers bay themed city around it :-)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16291 (isolation #724) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Post by Rhinox »

hmm who moved in atop my pyramid?:

There is, however a major problem with its location:

It is way to close to my pyramid. I'm afraid he may bust right in and destroy my maze:

Whoever he is, he's way too close for comfort and he needs to move:

I actually have half a mind to kick him right off of there, but let's face it: He's a mother-f***ing dragon, and you just don't mess with mother-f***ing dragons!

This satire post was brought to you by the lack of sleep and copious amounts of alcohol :P

Statue designed by The Evil Sketch - http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... s-statues/
Built by me in survival mode on our vanilla server out of sandstone and nether brick, without the use of flying/creative.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16311 (isolation #725) » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:33 am

Post by Rhinox »

No problem for me. Maybe check and make sure your internet isn't down and that your client launcher is logged in before launching minecraft?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16383 (isolation #726) » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:09 am

Post by Rhinox »

Hey I'm interested in dinking around in modded a bit, but I can't figure out how to get the modpack. Halp?

nevermind got help through IRC :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16385 (isolation #727) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 am

Post by Rhinox »

What the fuck guys

whoever did this shoulda said something:

instead of trying to patch it in yourselves

See the ceiling where the pumpkins are/were? that is the first level of my maze. Since I don't know which blocks you tried to replace up there, I pretty much gotta tear that whole section out and build it again.

How fucking hard is it to say something if you get ppls shit creepered? And how the hell did it happen anyways? the hallway that got creepered is down a 1 block hole in the middle of a lit up area. creepers don't just wander in/down there on their own, it would have had to have been led down there either purposefully or accidentally.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16427 (isolation #728) » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:08 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16426, Osota wrote:Been traveling a bit for work. Back now. Anything interesting going on?
Not really I don't think. I haven't been on much lately either as I've been pretty busy with work and have been watching the olympics when I have free time. I popped on once and noticed someone got my maze creepered and I haven't fixed it yet, and I've tooled around on the modded server for a couple minutes as well.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16433 (isolation #729) » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:03 am

Post by Rhinox »

Still pretty slow activity all around eh?

I've been getting back into a minecraft mood lately and have been spending an hour or 2 playing each night this week. I've been spending my time on modded though. Not abandoning vanilla obvs just wanted to see what the other half of the community was up to. I still need to repair and finish up my maze in vanilla if I do nothing else.

Lots of fun stuff on the modded server, but I'm still approaching it as if it could blow up at any moment :P. With the ore density and mods like morph and essence berry bushes/better enchanting it really leads to laid back quasi-creative play anyways. Its a nice change of pace.

What has everyone else been up to?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16448 (isolation #730) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:24 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16444, Maestro wrote:Besides Klaz's friend Ovie and Claus's friend Osota, (and excluding Klaz who jumps on to check on it every time he restarts it) the only people who've been on the server since February are mist7676 and Untrod Tripod...for less then 5 minutes combined. Ovie himself has more playtime than every single other person who's logged in since 2013
combined

This is definitely not why we keep a server open - if it were free it'd be one thing. But it's not.
I see no reason for Klaz to pay next month for his friend to play on our server.

World files will be made available when the shutdown happens.
I'd be perfectly happy to Admin a restart when 1.8 is released.
:neutral:

people take breaks, people come back.

Over the past month, the time I've been spending on minecraft has been on the modded server mostly just to fool around a bit. Now that that server is in its twilight, I'll be back on vanilla next time I have time to play. I'm planning on getting on to repair my maze and hopefully finally finish the end of it this weekend, actually. The only reason I haven't done it sooner is because I was a bit miffed about it getting creepered in the first place and no one telling me it happened.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16450 (isolation #731) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16449, Klazam wrote:(i dont know if you wabt to stay anonymous lol)
lol well I don't mean for it to be a big secret I just didn't want to make a big thing out of it.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16471 (isolation #732) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:43 am

Post by Rhinox »

I keep meaning to. If I do nothing else I want to finish that maze and see if anyone can get through it!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16490 (isolation #733) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:21 am

Post by Rhinox »

I was waiting for the creeper explosion and for the cat to freak out and fall off the desk :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16502 (isolation #734) » Wed May 07, 2014 3:02 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16497, Maestro wrote:Also any thoughts from peeps on the current state of the Vanilla Server? She's quite inactive nowadays, as usual...I wonder when 1.8 is coming out...

"Gamemeister08"
"jonahhavenjared"
MME
UT
Fishy
Osota

That's who's logged in since the beginning of April. Osota's the only one who's been on in May so far...mass pilgrimage anybody?
Community maze run this coming weekend? I just need a couple hours to get it to a finishable state, and that would give me the motivation to do so.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16519 (isolation #735) » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 16515, Bulbazak wrote:
In post 16513, Klazam wrote:does anybody play vanilla anymore?
I keep meaning to, but then I get busy with other stuff.
same for me, unfortunately :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16530 (isolation #736) » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:19 am

Post by Rhinox »

RIP *sob*
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16603 (isolation #737) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 am

Post by Rhinox »

Wow just realized in a couple weeks it will be 3 years since I started playing minecraft. Pretty good legs for a $20 game.

I haven't touched minecraft at all since like february. I think I could probably give it a try again. Is there *any* community server up and running right now?

I've given up on the dream of another vanilla server like we used to have when I started playing. If there are enough people interested I'd certainly give it a look but I'm done advocating for it. I just want to play on an active server, otherwise its not really worth playing.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16716 (isolation #738) » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Post by Rhinox »

ppl done with the vanilla server already lol? last 2 nights haven't seen anyone on...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16776 (isolation #739) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 am

Post by Rhinox »

YES EVERYONE IS PLAYING AGAIN :D
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16796 (isolation #740) » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

FYI: community farm is not exactly mob proof at the moment. Creeper snuck up on me by the melons and pumpkins. I don't have the stuff on me to fix it just needs a couple dirt and acacia slabs is all.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16836 (isolation #741) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16846 (isolation #742) » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:31 am

Post by Rhinox »

Alternatively, we could dry out an ocean monument and turn it into a PVP arena.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16931 (isolation #743) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:32 am

Post by Rhinox »

hmmm... I still have the plans for my pyramid maze. Perhaps I could resurrect it on the new server.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17056 (isolation #744) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Making progress on the
"Bridge to somewhere (eventually)"
:

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17090 (isolation #745) » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:37 am

Post by Rhinox »

beeeeeees

forestrrrryyyyyy

must... resist...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17092 (isolation #746) » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:41 am

Post by Rhinox »

Could I leech off someone's power supplies while I'm getting set up and orientated?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17095 (isolation #747) » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:58 am

Post by Rhinox »

yesss I'd be much more likely to play modded if I didn't have to do all the stuff that gets in the way of playing :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17133 (isolation #748) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:00 am

Post by Rhinox »

So, I made it to the modded server last night, and once again became overwhelmed by the enormity of it all
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17138 (isolation #749) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:14 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 17134, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:awwwwwwww i missed you! come back tomorrow night! i will be around! i will give you the grand tour! i will give you gifts!!

I'll hop on for a bit tonight, but unfortunately I probably won't be around much this weekend. Maybe on sunday.

I got some gifts from Oso and Osota to get me started. Osota hooked me up with a warp book and some pages, and Oso gave me some apiaries (and probably would have given me anything else I asked for too <3).

I set up shop in a meadow biome that seems like it should be a nice spot for tree and bee breeding. Near the meadow, I found a spruce village and was excited that there was a beekeeper there with apiaries. Then I was dismayed when I found out that apiaries are perma destroyed if not broken with a pickaxe D: Thats when Oso intervened and saved the day. I also found a bee chest with some bees and combs, a scoop, and a grafter. So I've got my forestry starter kit :D
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17140 (isolation #750) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:07 am

Post by Rhinox »

I don't remember what they were exactly but I don't think they were rare. Some kind of icy/frozen bees I think.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17141 (isolation #751) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

oooh Gendustry looks fun :D
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17143 (isolation #752) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:42 am

Post by Rhinox »

So where is everyone on the server? I walked around a bit and only found 1 place in a cherry blossom biome, and I only found osota and oso because they provided warps for me.

Also, whats a good trajectory to follow to go from "mining with a wooden pickaxe" to "pretty much having unlimited, automated resources and energy" in this modpack, and about how long should it take?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17198 (isolation #753) » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 17196, Klazam wrote:As an aside, m, jmj, dav-

:neutral:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17205 (isolation #754) » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:53 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 17204, Oso wrote:Note the Modded Server Players

The Industrial Fertilizer Plant I made for the Spawn Community Power set up is over producing Fertilizer by a pretty good volume. I have hooked an Ender Chest to the Fertilizer Storage so anyone who needs Industrial Fertilizer can tap into it by making an Ender Chest and setting the color code to:

BROWN-BROWN-BROWN

This fertilizer can be used directly in the Minefactory reloaded Fertilizer Machine or it can crafted into Forestry Fertilizer on a 1:1 basis by simply placing it in any crafting grid. It can also be used as Brown Dye in any crafting recipe that needs Brown Dye.

So that what all those cows were doing >.>
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17216 (isolation #755) » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Post by Rhinox »

So... whoever said the mining age was mob free - tell that to the cave spider that jumped out of a tree and killed me >.>
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17258 (isolation #756) » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:42 am

Post by Rhinox »

Are you building near honeyopolis or somewhere else entirely?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17272 (isolation #757) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

:igmeou:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17273 (isolation #758) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

things I learned in modded last night:

1) Nether Bees and End Bees spawn in the mining world! I found them while mining near y=12. The spawn in a pocket of glowstone/endstone, respectively.

2) Atomic Disassembler acts as a scoop!
Last edited by Rhinox on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17275 (isolation #759) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:20 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 17274, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
In post 17273, Rhinox wrote:2) Atomic Disassembler acts as a scoop!

:eek:
That is pretty fuckin awesome lol....

yes, yes it is haha.

Although, I'm pretty sure it does not act as a grafter. In fact I'm pretty sure any leaf blocks broken by the AD don't drop saplings ever.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17277 (isolation #760) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 17276, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:By the way, Rhi - I set up an MFR tree farm in Aroma, and it wasn't dropping any saplings when chopped by the Harvester. Have you been getting sapling drops from your rubber trees?

Yeah I've been getting plenty of saplings from rubber trees and spruce trees.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17291 (isolation #761) » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:48 am

Post by Rhinox »

haha yeah I had pretty much the same reaction first time I took out an apatite vein with the AD.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17307 (isolation #762) » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:39 pm

Post by Rhinox »

I'm in! Just tell me when!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17314 (isolation #763) » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

Nice Ender Eye of Sauron... I wouldn't want to be in that village the eye seems fixated on :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17977 (isolation #764) » Fri May 22, 2015 1:42 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'm so hype!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18055 (isolation #765) » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:28 am

Post by Rhinox »

heard this was amazing but haven't watched yet (still can't, because youtube is blocked at work, but I can still post the link)

(those might both be the same vid, wasn't sure which one to post)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18094 (isolation #766) » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18093, Bulbazak wrote:So much want. So little time.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18135 (isolation #767) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:37 am

Post by Rhinox »

Thanks for the PM reminder ETL. I'd really love to play, I'll see if I can find some time to get set up. Been pretty busy what with having a newborn around the house now and all ;)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18200 (isolation #768) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18199, jmj3000 wrote:Oh my. Mazes. I miss mazes. I miss the gauntlet. I miss things like that.

I agree with jmj.

I'd like to play again, but I still miss the old experiences of mafiascum server minecraft. Getting back on the old server would probably give me sad feels :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18202 (isolation #769) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

Who all is even still playing these days? Is this regrowth server the official server now or is SP5 still in operation? I logged into IRC a few weeks ago with the intention of setting up an SP5 instance just to check it out, and nobody was active in IRC and the bot said no one was online in SP5.

I don't even remember which vanilla server was the last one we had. Was that where I built the pyramid maze with the dragon on top? and we had bag end? And cobblewall-gate? That was feeling like old times for a while, why did that server die again? Just loss of interest?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18240 (isolation #770) » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:29 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18239, Claus wrote:Dug up this link from earlier in the thread: http://imgur.com/a/ow2wl#64

:D

Some good memories in there
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18273 (isolation #771) » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:09 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18268, Claus wrote:Anyone building far away
should leave coords in the thread :-)
is bad and should feel bad.
ftfy
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18275 (isolation #772) » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18266, Claus wrote:Minecraft: Story Mode is pretty, and nice if you really like minecraft (like us), but I found it inferior to other telltale adventure games that I have played so far (fable, walking dead I, II)

I just bought Telltale Game of Thrones a couple weeks ago and that has been the only telltale game I've played. I have walking dead season 1 that I picked up for free off games with gold but haven't played it. Don't watch walking dead so not sure if I'd enjoy it. I was thinking about getting Minecraft Story Mode but there's a lot of games I want to play, and not a lot of free time to play them.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18279 (isolation #773) » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Post by Rhinox »

I'm on. Spawn in at night and raining, of course

and someone else in on and afk. perfect.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18306 (isolation #774) » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 am

Post by Rhinox »

Town's looking great. I was surprised to see so much new stuff between when I played on Saturday and when I logged back in last night.

Learned my lesson... not to leave a primative settlement with bed/workbench/furnace + dbl chest with everything I owned so far out in the open and unprotected. >.> So I starting building the first building in Rhinoville last night.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18311 (isolation #775) » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:41 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18307, Hinduragi wrote:Are people taking your shit? I have all my chests out in the open in my house and people have respected me and only taken cobble/granite/stuff they asked for permission beforehand. Really going to consider locking it away if that's the case or asking for maybe bukkit+lockette or something.

Klazam wrote:His stuff got creepered

Yeah, I logged in and landed in a hole with no trace of anything except the empy half of a chest lol. But I found out who did it and they offered to let me raid their chests to replace anything of importance I lost, so it's all good. Didn't lose anything that can't be replaced in like 15min of mining, and had full iron and a full set of iron tools in my inv. My own fault really for not like putting up a shack around my stuff and/or spamming torches around.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18316 (isolation #776) » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:28 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18312, Hinduragi wrote:There's some small villager houses(outhouses) around the edge of town. Noone's used those so you can probably cram some stuff in one or both of them.

I broke ground on Rhinoville last night, so I've got a place to hide now. I'm settling the Savannah just east of where wgeurts is building, right across the river from spawntown.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18320 (isolation #777) » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18317, Claus wrote:Coordinates? I think your place may be really close to mine :-)

Also, I explored the deserts far to the northeast of spawntown. Found a large village with many librarians and priests, one of whom is selling a Looting III book. I will try to bring them closer to us via nether next time I can play for a long time (this weekend?). If anyone goes that way, try not the get the villagers killed :-P

I think you're on the other side of spawn town actually. I'm getting on now, I'll go look.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18328 (isolation #778) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:04 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18327, Claus wrote:I just realized that I started playing Minecraft 5 years ago. I wonder if this is more than any other computer game I have ever played for long periods of time. (Old SNES RPGs that I play once on console and again 10 years later on emulator don't count, I guess.

does minesweeper or spider solitaire count? :shifty:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18382 (isolation #779) » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Post by Rhinox »

so I was just on and noticed something pretty cool. our river by spawn town is actually pretty amazing. There are a couple areas that need dug out and filled in with water, but for the most part it is easy boatable, and goes from the port, back towards claus place, loops back up towards the other end of spawn town, passes a few more settlements, and then reconnects by the ocean. I was thinking it'd be pretty cool to fix up the couple areas to make it contiguous, but one issue is the spawntown wall was put up right over the middle of the river under seriouslyes's place, and I'm not quite sure how to go about making that area boatable without putting a whole in the wall that could also potentially allow mobs through. I also didn't want to just start blowing apart the wall there either as some people must have spent some time putting it up, so I just wanted to ask if any and all interested parties could help me brainstorm a way to make that area boatable again (without destroying the terrain and/or digging an unnatural canal to bypass).
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18389 (isolation #780) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18386, Klazam wrote:
In post 18384, Hinduragi wrote:Rhinox, I can make it mob-proof and boatable if it's a project you undertake and Maru doesn't mind taking apart the part of the wall that's within 1-3 blocks above the river surface.

I vote do it.

I'll start working on the areas of the river that need dredged out and filled in with water when I get on this evening.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18396 (isolation #781) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Post by Rhinox »

As self-proclaimed chairman of the spawntown river conservation committee, I have prepared the following report on the status of the spawntown river restoration project:

1) dredging of the grown in river bed has begun outside of the spawntown wall on the northwest side of spawn town in order to make the spawntown segment of the river contigious with the clausway segment. The riverbed has been dredged to the height of the water table at a width sufficient to allow boat passage. The surrounding terrain was graded to ensure a natural look. The river bed must now be dredged below the water table and flooded.

<no image available>

2) Rerouting of the spawntown wall around the rive has commenced and much progress has been made. The pathway and external wall has been completed and is mob proof. The internal wall must still be completed. The pre-existing wall was partially cannibalized for raw materials for the new wall construction and will eventually be removed entirely. Please see the attached images of the progress and state any obvious issues with the new spawntown wall.

Northwest end

Plateau Walkway from spawntown

Plateau Walkway from port end

Eastern Port end

3) Upon completion of the spawntown wall reroute, the river will be contigious in 3 section: port section, spawntown section, and clausway section. The port section and clausway sections are outside of the spawntown wall, while the spawntown section is inside the wall. Construction of tunnels with mob proof gates for boat access will be required in order to allow boats to safely pass into and through spawntown.

<no image available>

This spawntown river conservation committee thanks you for your time. This concludes the report.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18398 (isolation #782) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:11 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Made some more progress on the river restoration project. Old wall is gone (except for some underwater blocks i didn't feel like mining yet) and the new wall should be up to the specification of maru's design. Check if out when you have a chance. Boat tunnels/gates still need done, and some terraforming is required around seriouslyyes' place to restore the natural grading and riverbed.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18400 (isolation #783) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:02 am

Post by Rhinox »

sweet. I'll check it out tonight.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18406 (isolation #784) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

Nice job on the port! I'm glad I'm settling just across the inlet. What texture pack or resource pack are you using? Looks pretty.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18417 (isolation #785) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:18 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18339, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:Checked out vanilla. Looks amazing, and then I added the John Smith resource pack and it looked like WOWOWOW

https://www.johnsmithlegacy.co.uk/

Nice job yall - everything is super cute. I probably wont be active on there too much but I want to build a little house somewhere. If someone wants to point me to an appropriate spot I'll go there.

In post 18407, wgeurts wrote:The texture pack is the one ETL linked: https://www.johnsmithlegacy.co.uk/

did you guys just use the pack or also the MCpatcher thing?

nice pirate ship
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18494 (isolation #786) » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18475, davesaz wrote:Jetpacks and other modes of flight are one of the biggest reasons I
don't
play modded. :cool:

ftfy ;)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18498 (isolation #787) » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Post by Rhinox »

we now have a continuous river from port to at least claus' place. I probably still need to dig out a couple areas to make sure it's 2 blocks deep (otherwise you can take boat damage off the bottom if you're traveling fast enough). Here's a couple picks near the northwestern gate inside the wall. Seriouslyyes has a brand new retaining wall for his animal pen:

And here is the new channel outside the wall. The river used to end not too far from the pillar for the elevated railway there:

Notice the little friend in the water there? He can't get in, he gets stuck in the watergate and drowns. But if you get too close, he'll still go boom.

Speaking of the elevated railway - whoever is building that, please be mindful that I'm attempting to have a boatable river. Just noticed that it looks like the river is blocked by the elevated rail structure :(

I might try to widen the new section a couple more blocks because it is difficult to get the boats through without bouncing off the sides and ultimately breaking them. The new boat mechanics means that you need to provide propulsion in order to maneuver - you can't steer while coasting - so you need to be able to carry some speed, but too much speed is too hard to control in tight areas.

As a side note, I don't know if it is because maru has us with a good host or if mojang optimized something for 1.8 since the last time I played vanilla on a server, but boats and horses and minecarts have practically no lag or jumpiness at all while using them, which means they're actually usable and a ton more fun than before :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18499 (isolation #788) » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:43 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18498, Rhinox wrote:Speaking of the elevated railway - whoever is building that, please be mindful that I'm attempting to have a boatable river. Just noticed that it looks like the river is blocked by the elevated rail structure

Yeah this. Can we not do this? It kinda defeats the purpose of the whole project I just undertook fixing the river through town and moving the town wall and everything:

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18508 (isolation #789) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:14 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18500, Hinduragi wrote:That's me and I did this way before we did the boating project. It's part of the rails to the clay biome and was one of the first things I did. We can modify the bottom or go around it. Not a big deal at all.

ok cool. yeah not a big deal at all just wasn't sure who was working on it. I remember the elevated rail was there well before I started on the river but I didn't remember seeing the pillars underneath or the lattice supports area until now which is why I said something. They might have been there before and I just didn't notice.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18538 (isolation #790) » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:01 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18533, Klazam wrote:Related to vanilla-

[14:30] <Xevei> and I'm not going to play on vanilla anymore
[14:30] <Xevei> tired of people messing with my house
[14:30] <Klazam> oh?
[14:30] <Klazam> oh the river renovation
[14:31] <Xevei> yeah, instead of moving it AWAY from my house, they moved it towards my house and replaced my walls with cobblestone
[14:31] <Xevei> after fixing it, I find out someone also looted parts of my chests
[14:31] <Klazam> huh
[14:31] <Xevei> so, ... screw that
[14:31] <Klazam> i can bitch if you want
[14:32] <Xevei> no point
[14:32] <Klazam> what was looted?
[14:32] <Xevei> half of my coal for starters
[14:34] <Klazam> yeah ill bitch

Xevei is seriousyes.

get this fixed, guys, and c'mon, i thought we were cool enough not to steal from each other.

This is bullshit. I asked his permission to terraform the area around his house. He told me i could do whatever as long as i didnt break into his animal pen. We were're online together and he showed me where the animals were underground and everything. Maru can probably go find that conversation in the server logs? I even brought him a cow for breeding bc he only had 1. So maybe there was a misscommunication about what he thought i was doing, but i was just following the riverbed.

As for the cobble walls I'll take the blame for that. I thought it would look better than a dirt wall from the outside. I was carefull not to screw up his stuff except for replacing a little bit of dirt wall with cobble wall. So, I'm sorry for that and I'll reverse it if he didnt already.

If I'm also being accused of stealing stuff, we'll i didn't steal shit. If it's mostly coal I'd ask him if he misremembered how much he had or used more than he thought making jack-o-lanterns for his skyroad. Accusing someone of stealing is pretty serious shit and everytime I've ever thought something was stolen I've ultimately realized i either used what was missing or moved it somewhere else.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18573 (isolation #791) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18512, Klazam wrote:I really like the john smith texture pack, but im too much of a purist for vanilla textures

klaz whoa I love your temple/monastary. It's beautiful. And I'm quoting that particular post because if you haven't looked at what you've created in the john smith pack, you totally should.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18734 (isolation #792) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:48 am

Post by Rhinox »

VR Minecraft? Might have to give that a try...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18780 (isolation #793) » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18778, Claus wrote:I don't plan to playing a lot, but I would appreciate being on the whitelist :-)
Same for me
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18864 (isolation #794) » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

Hey guys I'm going to be home alone Saturday night and sunday morning. Might actually get to play some minecraft for the first time in forever! Anyone going to be around this weekend to help me set things up when I inevitably screw it up?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18871 (isolation #795) » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 am

Post by Rhinox »

So my plans changed and I ended up not being home this weekend. But I'm still going to join once I get some free time. Hopefully some evening this week I'll get set up. ETL what facebook details do you need just like my name? or is there something else?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18879 (isolation #796) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:23 am

Post by Rhinox »

ETL:
In post 18871, Rhinox wrote:ETL what facebook details do you need just like my name? or is there something else?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18893 (isolation #797) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Post by Rhinox »

managed to get on the server tonight. nobody was there :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18900 (isolation #798) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:28 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Actually thats not a bad idea. 1.10 vanilla server for a while until 1.10 modded is more stable?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18939 (isolation #799) » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:29 am

Post by Rhinox »

yay I'll be on tonight!

Return to “The Arcade”