The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17025 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:42 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

In post 17022, Chevre wrote:I think you should be fine using the wiki. In addition to the aforementioned randomness of user pages, I've used the wiki to create pages for MishMash Survivor games, and much Song Contest information is stored there. I don't think one page for MS's Minecraft community should hurt anything.

:] This now exists under Minecraft (probably something better to call it... but.. this will do).

Feel free to spiff it up with your mad wiki skillz if you have em - just don't edit the lists. :mrgreen:
Art is cool.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17026 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:49 pm

Post by Claus »

In post 17023, Nexus wrote:If anyone's got any spare nether quartz kicking around, I'd appreciate it.

I've spent an hour and mined four stacks. Which makes one stack of quartz block. I want a QUARTZ PALACE.

Fortune III Pick is your friend. You get 3/4 times more quartz that way!

In post 17024, Nexus wrote:Actually I don't. I changed my mind.

NETHER BLOCK PALACE.

That is a great idea! (Check my spawn fortress for inspiration :-P)

On other news, I'm kinda bummed by the whole "Microsoft Buys Minecraft" thing, but let's see what the future holds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17027 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:04 pm

In post 17026, Claus wrote:On other news, I'm kinda bummed by the whole "Microsoft Buys Minecraft" thing

ME. TOO.
Art is cool.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17028 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Post by Oso »

2.5 Billion though. That would be a hard number to say no to.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #17029 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Post by chamber »

2.5 billion is such a large amount of money that people don't even have a conceptualization of how much it is. Like if I thought I was going to live to 100, I could budget about 90k a day, and that's without any interest.
Taking a break from the site.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17030 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Post by Oso »

Yes.

No way I personally could spend that much money before i die. My needs and aspirations pretty much don't extend past what I already have. Might do a bit of traveling but still, wouldn't put a dent in it.

Even after I made trust funds for every immediate member of my family plus a number of minor children who are related to me through cousins that are once, twice, three times or more removed from me, there would still be a big chunk left over. I do know one thing, even before i died, none of the local schools, homeless programs, stray animal programs or a half dozen other social type programs the county I live in runs, they certainly wouldn't be hurting for money for a long while
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17031 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Post by davesaz »

Kinda makes me wonder how Mojang's ownership is held pre-acquisition. Maybe there is a lot of corporate debt that gets paid off?
What will be really interesting will be to see if the other Mojang projects take off.

The scary thing is what happens if Microsoft takes over the API aspect. Sure it's good to have people who specialize in that, but I hope the end result isn't as complicated as the other MS APIs.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17032 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Post by Oso »

Hopefully (and I'm knocking on wood hard with this) they will realize that the reason(s) for Minecraft's success (at least in my opinion) is that it is predominately a community game and the reason that the community has such a long lasting interest in the game is the modding community. They would be flat shooting themselves in the foot (again, in my opinion) if they make it too difficult for a person or group of people, who have an interest in adding improvements to the game through mods, to make those mods.

Granted, there are a goodly number of people who like and play Vanilla exclusively but if you do a cursory Google search on Minecraft Servers, Modded outnumbers Vanilla by a large, almost huge, margin.

3rd party mods are really what made Minecraft what it is today.
-
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #17033 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Post by Chevre »

The interesting thing is that Minecraft is 5 years old, so even with additional updates there's really not going to be so many more people purchasing the base game. Therefore, the thing to be worried about if anything is how Microsoft plans to profit. Is it "Minecraft 2"? Or is it something more simple like all the franchise gear that sells with it? Very interesting.

Like other's have said, 2.5 billion is so much money that it simply can't be refused. There was a Reddit thread today speculating what one would do with that much money, and as I thought about I realized it's literally so much that even if your financial intelligence was poor you'd still probably be OK in the long run. Plus, Microsoft is obviously a fairly smart company and even if it all goes down the drain, where the game is right now is pretty great.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #17034 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 17033, Chevre wrote:The interesting thing is that Minecraft is 5 years old, so even with additional updates there's really not going to be so many more people purchasing the base game.

...what? No?

Babies born to parents who started playing it right when it was released are just becoming old enough to have their accounts, etc. and that will happen as long as the game is being updated and most likely long after. :giggle:
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17035 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

^I'd have my midlife crisis at 20 and buy a boat, a house, some fancy car, and probably a city or two.

In all seriousness, though, that is a TON of money. I'm not too worried about them buying it though. I mean...it can't be all that bad, right? Perhaps it'll improve. Maybe Microsoft has some hidden plan to bring more people into minecraft. I read a post on (the onion?) or something like that the other day that basically said even if Microsoft does buy it, minecraft as we know it at this very moment, the one we're all playing right now, will not change and even in the near future, it won't change, if it ever changes at all.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17036 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Post by Oso »

I've been reading some on the web. Financial fluff, news reports aren't really that informative but it seems that Microsoft is basically buying it for mainly the mobile and console aspects of it. So if that is the case, we very well might not see any change in the Personal Computer aspect of the game. If anything, the PC versions of the game may become the forgotten stepchild and freeze eternally at 1.8 or something.
-
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17037 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Post by Maestro »

lol No again, IMO.

That's the last thing I see happening if Microsoft has any business sense, which they do because they're a multinational corporation.

Mac / PC Minecrafters outnumber the others at least 2:1; they must, just head to the Minecraft or Bukkit forums and start counting. Microsoft buying Mojang for the non-PC version development? That just means that's what they want to focus their own time on - which makes sense since that's the main Minecraft version they've had a leg up on over their competitors. Not only that, but since most of the Mojang staff are going to be staying on for Minecraft's continued development, I suspect it's likely Microsoft just wants to add to their own influence on the XBox versions, not pick and choose how to limit the others.

Minecraft for XBox 360 / 1 is easily the second most popular version, they probably just want to be able to exert more control over its development since it's proved to be such a phenomenon. Ironically, the one thing I would think would result from this sort of thing (the death of Minecraft for PlayStation, perhaps?) has already been forsworn / debunked / what-have-you by Microsoft themselves.

I'm not sure about this, but you also might all be forgetting that since we each have... you know... a
full game
already downloaded (
multiple versions
if you've been playing long enough, like most of us have), not only could you protest Microsoft updates if they started doing things you didn't like, but you could ignore them completely and continue playing anything from 1.8 backwards. If there's shit you want in newer versions, deal with Microsoft's logo being involved.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17038 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Post by Klazam »

(But will it still enjoy mac support?)
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17039 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:36 pm

Post by Maestro »

(Until Java doesn't have Mac support... I'd say yah.)
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17040 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Post by Claus »

Oh, I'm not worried about Minecraft. The game, the hobby as we have it right now will most likely be fine (and if things turn out bad, we will always have offline mode)

I'm just bummed because I really enjoyed the image of Mojang as the "little" studio out of nowhere that stood tall among big game companies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #17041 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Post by Chevre »

In post 17034, Maestro wrote:
In post 17033, Chevre wrote:The interesting thing is that Minecraft is 5 years old, so even with additional updates there's really not going to be so many more people purchasing the base game.

...what? No?

Babies born to parents who started playing it right when it was released are just becoming old enough to have their accounts, etc. and that will happen as long as the game is being updated and most likely long after. :giggle:

54,000,000 x $20 is a little over 1 billion dollars, and that's a super-rough estimate of all the copies of Minecraft that have been bought since it's inception. Even then, to think that 54 million more copies will be sold is just silly. Of course kids as they get old enough will want accounts, but I doubt such great numbers will be purchasing this game, especially with the likely possibility of something becoming much more popular.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17042 (ISO) » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

I think one of their splash texts says like "1 Billion Copies sold" or something.
Regardless, Minecraft will always have a place on the market. I, myself, have more than one account for various purposes and I know tons of people who don't have one simply because they can't afford it.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17043 (ISO) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:59 am

Post by davesaz »

Anyone know what the floating orb of light is? It shows up on radar as a mob, and if I get close it starts shooting what looks like energy zaps, which don't seem to hurt. Though with armor stats maybe I just don't feel it. Maybe some Thaumcraft thing?

Also I occasionally see a little critter with a backpack. That's probably Thaum too?

fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17044 (ISO) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:03 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

dave, that's a wisp. Nasty creatures, really. Some are passive, some are aggressive, you never really know which is which.

edit:
Those are thaumcraft pechs. you can trade with them (similar to villagers, but they require things with lucrum (like gold) and give you dungeon loot in return).

In other news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T043YjZ0YIc
Last edited by fuzzybutternut on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17045 (ISO) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 am

Lol those are wisps from thaumcraft. The little guys with backpacks are pechs. Also thaumcraft. The wisps are hostile mobs. The oechs are only hostile if you mess with them, but they'll trade thaumstuff for expensive things like gold.

Pedit what fbn said
Art is cool.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17046 (ISO) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:06 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Also, Dave, that axe I gave you yesterday, it restores hunger and health as well as saturation. it's like free food. Just hold it in your hand :)
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Catbug
Catbug
Goon
Catbug
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17047 (ISO) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 am

Post by Catbug »

In post 17046, fuzzybutternut wrote:Also, Dave, that axe I gave you yesterday, it restores hunger and health as well as saturation. it's like free food. Just hold it in your hand :)

say what? what is it
You're my friends now. We're having soft tacos later!
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17048 (ISO) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Healing axe from Extra Utils :p
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Osota
Osota
Watcher
Osota
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #17049 (ISO) » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 am

Post by Osota »

In post 17043, davesaz wrote:Anyone know what the floating orb of light is? It shows up on radar as a mob, and if I get close it starts shooting what looks like energy zaps, which don't seem to hurt. Though with armor stats maybe I just don't feel it. Maybe some Thaumcraft thing?

Also I occasionally see a little critter with a backpack. That's probably Thaum too?

Is this in Modded?

Return to “The Arcade”