Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Post by Who »

In post 4, Umbrage wrote:so

um

I've been playing Dishonored

and uh

it's pretty cool
Dishonored is awesome. Teleportation and stabbing people, what more could you want in a videogame?
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #95 (isolation #1) » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Post by Who »

I'm having trouble making decisions about black friday, can someone help me out?

The games I'm considering:
Assassin's Creed IV: Buy now for 35$ or wait a while until it gets to 20$.
Batman: Arkham Origins: Buy now for 30$ or wait a while until it gets to 20$.
Or wait until the GOTY/whatever edition comes out and goes down to 20$, sounds good.
Hitman: Absolution: Buy now for 10$ or don't buy.
What the heck it looks fun.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #100 (isolation #2) » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Post by Who »

I have a mac, so that is not an option. I'll wait for the version with all the DLC to get down to 20, unless the regular version drops to 20 very quickly.

The reason for waiting for the DLC bundle is simply that if I am going to wait for it to get to 20 then I may as well wait a bit longer. Especially given how at the moment I am not exactly without new videogames, I'm getting Hitman: Absolution and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD remake, so there is no reason to get AO when it isn't at its absolute cheapest.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #103 (isolation #3) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:24 am

Post by Who »

Is PS+ worth it?

Also, God of War Saga is currently only 15$, I've never played GoW but I've heard good things about it, I'm buying it.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #105 (isolation #4) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:39 am

Post by Who »

I've heard that Ghosts is bad, even from people who like the series.

I am bad at not buying shiny things, I bought a year of PS+. The total wallet damage:
Kingdom Hearts 1.5: 10$ (20$ but split with my sister)
Hitman:  Absolution: 10$
God of War Saga:     15$
1 year of PS+:         30$
Total:                     65$
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #107 (isolation #5) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:24 am

Post by Who »

I don't have a PS4 and probably won't get one for a while. Also, I don't play online that much. I mainly got it for the free games.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #140 (isolation #6) » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Post by Who »

In post 139, xRECKONERx wrote:Should I play AC3?
No.

Are you referring to the long-term story involving Desmond, or the story involving Connor?

Spoiler: A summary of Desmond's story:
He gets to the place where Those Who Came Before may have left a solution to the end of the world, but it's locked. He plays through Connor's story to find the key, then unlocks it and finds that there is no solution, one of TWCB was EVIL and survived the end of the world somehow and caused all of the templar-assassin fights so that you would be too busy fighting to solve the end of the world and would have no choice but to free her. Desmond is faced with a choice: A) Live while all the rest of society dies, become Jesus, and let the cycle repeat or B) Free the evil one, she saves the world, but then she's free. He chooses B and dies. Yay. Oh and some templars die in the process of getting batteries, Vidic, I think Cross, and possibly a few others. And some stuff involving Desmond and his daddy issues happens but that doesn't matter because Desmond died.

Spoiler: A summary of Connor's story:
The templars have a plan to ease tensions between England and America before a war starts but then Connor starts murdering them. Then they have a plan to end the war quickly but Connor keeps murdering them. Meanwhile George Washington goes around ordering Native American villages burned. And Connor sides with and continues to side with America because propaganda. And then we realize that the entire thing is an aesop about not having sex with random people because otherwise they might have a kid who kills you and your friends and causes a massive war.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #144 (isolation #7) » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Post by Who »

In post 143, Hiraki wrote:
In post 141, Battousai wrote:Definitely play it if you like the story of inside the machine (outside is just, yeah..).
I don't think it's possible to truly like that story.

There is nothing likable about Connor and killing off Haytham was the biggest crime of the game.
It might be possible if you weren't playing as Connor. If you were playing as Haytham for the entire time it might be pretty good.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #158 (isolation #8) » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:37 am

Post by Who »

In post 148, Battousai wrote:
Spoiler: From the POV of someone who liked the story
Haytham is against freedom, and wants the Templars to have complete control over the colonies/the world under a fake government headed by the man, Lee, who personally led the attack on Conner's village (and is an all around asshole). Conner tries to kill Lee, but gets attacked by Haytham. Haytham fights to the death with Conner in order to defend his conviction, same with Conner. Conner didn't want to kill his father, but he knew he had to in order to protect his people, and later, to protect the colonies. If Haytham only gave in, gave up his convictions, he would have been spared.

Which is why I liked his death speech, "Don't think I have any intention of caressing your cheek and saying I was wrong. I will not weep and wonder what might have been. I'm sure you understand. Still, I'm proud of you in a way. You have shown great conviction. Strength. Courage. All noble qualities... I should have killed you long ago."

They are both very similar, both strong, courageous, and have great conviction. The only difference is Haytham believed in order that came from a controlled society over the chaos of freedom, whereas Connor believed that everyone should be free, and that no one should have control over another.

I really like the story. It had a lot of murkiness when it comes to right and wrong, ends justifying the means and what have you. Both sides of the Revolution were wrong to the Native Americans, both sides enslaved and tried to control others. Conner and his tribe also were stuck between preemptive action to defend themselves, but not being able to withstand a counterattack (thus stuck between action and inaction). Connor was betrayed, and misled many times; but he still kept fighting for his cause, because he knew it was right. He knew he had to push forward and protect his people and everyone else who's freedom was at risk.
Spoiler: About Lee
Lee didn't have anything to do with the attack on Connor's village, it was all Washington. No arguments on him being an asshole though.

Spoiler: About Connor
Connor was a naive idealist. Yes, he was like Haytham in that he was strong, courageous, and with conviction, but unlike Haytham he was idealistic and stupid. Freedom is a nice word, but did it really mean anything? Pre-revolution a group of rich white males ruled America, they were elected/appointed by rich white males, and they only cared about rich white males. Post-revolution a group of rich white males ruled America, they were elected/appointed by rich white males, and they only cared about rich white males. But these new rich white males were American. Yay, wasn't that worth everyone who died? In regards to murkiness, I disagree, there was no murkiness. The templars were unquestionably right imo.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #161 (isolation #9) » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Post by Who »

I actually ended up buying a lot over Black Friday, I just bought MGS legacy collection for 30$, making the grand total 95$. Which means that the entire thing is less than one pre-ordered game and one game which I waited a tiny bit to go down to 40$. And I got 4 games+everything on PS+, if you count the collections as multiple games I got 12 games on discs+everything on PS+ + 4 games downloaded.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #348 (isolation #10) » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Post by Who »

In post 345, Kcdaspot wrote: the next 4 people to message me on steam will get one game of thier choice.

needless to say: first come first serve.
How do you message someone on steam?
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #429 (isolation #11) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Post by Who »

In post 427, zoraster wrote:is dark souls the answer if I don't confuse difficulty with quality?
Yes. The only way it isn't the answer is if you're a wuss who gets annoyed when things get difficult and you break 5 controllers just beating the first boss. But it's really not
that
hard.

I've never played the PC port though, I'm talking about the PS3 version.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #700 (isolation #12) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:47 am

Post by Who »

Games owned: 46
Games not played: 25 (54%)
Hours spent: 179.1h
Account worth: $441.63

In case you're thinking "Wow, he doesn't have many games" or "Wow, he plays almost most of his games", don't think that. I'm pretty sure I have more unredeemed codes for games than I have games I've redeemed the codes for. Nearly all of my games come from HumbleBundles.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #805 (isolation #13) » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Post by Who »

Recently I started playing Kerbal Space Program, does anyone else here play it?

It's this fun game where you make rockets and send them into space.

Currently I've sort of given up on manned missions, because probes are so much lighter, better, and less risky. Also landing on anything without an atmosphere is frickin impossible, so with probes I can keep sending them until they work and have no guilt about sending Kerbals to die. I've landed and returned a probe to/from the mun, and landed* a probe on minmus but the engine was damaged and I couldn't return. I still got the transmitted science though.
*It was a cross between landing and crashing.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #808 (isolation #14) » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:03 am

Post by Who »

In post 807, theaceofspades wrote:i play KSP ocasionally.

I played the hell out of it when it had like 5 pieces. and then stopped for a while. When i came back it had like 8 bazillion more parts so i'm not really sure what a lot of them do.

It's the only thing in my life that has made me actively want to study physics. I've landed on the moon several times, but i have never been able to return cause i suck at piloting.
Try career mode, it limits what pieces you get until you get science.

Also, I landed on the Mun but I'm an idiot. I thought that the lab actually increased the amount of science you got, and brought a lab to the mun. This made the rocket much harder to build, and ultimately I didn't have enough fuel to get back. So I'm currently attempting to launch a probe with a bunch of empty command modules to the mun near where I landed and get the Kerbals back with that.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #877 (isolation #15) » Thu May 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Post by Who »

In post 876, Parama wrote:aaaand you just created a paradox, grats
or maybe you didn't because it either is or isn't opposite day but nobody knows which it is now
It's not a paradox unless every day really is opposite day. Otherwise it's just a lie.

Therefore not every day is opposite day, and GreyICE is a liar.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1079 (isolation #16) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Post by Who »

I would get at least the cheapest bundle, but the only things to run on a mac are Hitman Absolution (above average) and Deus Ex: HR (Above 15).

Also KSP is the only game I play atm.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1122 (isolation #17) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:09 am

Post by Who »

In post 1121, CooLDoG wrote:Okay, kerbal space program is one of the best game ever.

Yes it is.

I'm doing to career mode so I can build my ships progressively and learn all of the parts. Now I'm in the planning stages of my first mood landing.

Land on Minmus first. It's scary because it's farther away and because it has a small inclination, but the distance actually really makes very little difference to the delta-v, and the inclination is easy to deal with. Minmus has much less gravity so it takes less delta-v to land on (This more than compensates for the tiny bit extra delta-v it takes to get there) and also you can use a rocket with less thrust.

In KSP I'm currently planning a Jool mission (Unmanned). It's going to leave a satellite and a probe lander on each moon, for a total of 11 (2*5 moons + 1 jool satellite) probes, but I have 13 just to be safe (Though one is specifically a Laythe lander. Also 13 isn't really "to be safe" even though the the satellite-depositing missions to Eve and Duna both required the backups which I had intended for their moons, and more because it's 3 sets of 4x symmetry). Back in .235 (Before funds) I had manned landings+returns on every body other than Eve and the Joolian moons.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1125 (isolation #18) » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:07 am

Post by Who »

In post 1124, CooLDoG wrote:@who... I disagree with that being the best first shot. Predicated on the fact that I came into the game having little knowledge of celestial physics and just an interest cultivated in SPACE by an engineer dad who
was
is a space nut.

With that said, I think for a first landing Mun is a better approach for a noob like me. Higher gravity is a good thing as long as your final engine can escape the gravity of the Mun (mine can). This is due to the Pull of "Earth" and the fact that there is not atmosphere on Mun. I can escape the Mun easy, but landing on it is more difficult because it requires more accurate orbital calculations to get there. Higher gravity = more forgiving.

Now, this is all given the fact that the pull of the earth from minmus is further away and thus the relative gravity maybe greater on minmus because of this distance. But for now, I'm happy to try a Mun landing for historical reasons as well as the shit ton of contracts I have for it. Again, Career mode.

Rhinox wrote:ooh KSP finally has career mode working?

there goes my weekend...

Yeah they have "contracts" now that you can complete for money and science. Pretty cool actually.

Well I did the Mun first because I was afraid of how far away Minmus was. Landing on Minmus takes less delta-v and is much more forgiving, but I suppose you are right in that it's easier to get a Mun intercept than a Minmus one. Also if your contracts say go to the Mun then follow the money, this playthrough I planned to go Minmus -> Mun -> Eve -> Dres -> Eeloo -> Moho -> Eve2/Gilly -> Duna/Ike -> Jool/moons, but contracts told me to go Mun -> Minmus -> Eve/Gilly -> Duna -> Jool ->Any of the final 3. Also it told me to do Jool's moons in order from the outermost to the innermost when I would have otherwise gone innermost to outermost.

Also, I finished my Jool mission, I have satellites and unmanned landers on/around every moon. Well, technically to be completely finished I need to get the main ship out of Laythe's orbit and get it into a Jool orbit where it doesn't risk hitting anything else, but I'll do that later, it's time to move on and go to Dres. Dres is going to be a manned mission, I know I can get a Kerbal there and back easily and I'm only doing one thing with that launch. I think I'll do Eeloo and Moho in the same launch though. Because I can.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1129 (isolation #19) » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:15 pm

Post by Who »

In post 1127, Oman wrote:Reference Kerbal Space Program: I can never play that game. I can't get a rocket to work that has more fuel than LEO and maybe return to earth. I can't even look at Mun.

Every time I try to learn I feel like I'm doing a tertiary engineering course just watching a youtube video. Which is a shame because I like the adventure and the exploration. I want to explore the galaxy with landers and shit.

Did any of those youtube videos mention the word "asparagus"?
I wouldn't recommend looking it up if you enjoy building rockets because coming up with asparagus on your own extremely satisfying, but as soon as you know how to do it it pretty much solves all design problems, and if you dislike that part of the game then looking it up would be fine.

CooLDoG wrote:Goddamn that is some pretty advanced shit going on. I was happy to land on the Mun today and get back in one piece. I have a pretty good rocket and I think with just a few modifications I can use existing parts and get to minmus pretty easily. Right now I want to go to Mun one more time with a few modifications to the lander and the third stage (the one that sets the intercept and initiates orbit around mun).

After that I'm going to minmus. And then after that docking. That shit is intimidating.

That's what I love about KSP, the learning curve. There is always something which is really intimidating.

Currently I'm extremely intimidated by Eve and Tylo, and way more intimidated than I should be by Duna and Laythe. They have atmospheres, atmospheres are intimidating. Well, actually I'm not that intimidated by Laythe because it has oxygen. Duna will probably be a joke when I finally land there, but I'm afraid of it at the moment. Tylo I think I could return from unmanned without much trouble, I was able to land something which only weighed .54 tons while it was in orbit and if I made something capable of taking .54 tons from orbit to surface (Should be easy) then I could use it to return, idk if I could return from Tylo with a manned thing. Eve is really really intimidating.

Ok I swear this is a conspiracy and Dres is a really nice (dwarf) planet. Every time I go to Dres I'm conveniently at a launch window. And I don't even plan/wait for launch windows (Well, sometimes I do sometimes I don't. I never have when going to Dres), I just launch, play with maneuver nodes, and find that I am at a launch window.

Of course, it's been labeled not to be trusted by the scientific community, so maybe it's just trying to get on my good side.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1131 (isolation #20) » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Post by Who »

In post 1130, CooLDoG wrote:SO I got to Mun and back. I ran out of fuel midway through my re-entry burn... so I had to use RCS fuel via the docking interface. Keep in mind kids: shit goes out, you go forward. And especially true if you are going at low speeds.

Also, the game isn't that hard to learn at first. It gets more challenging later on, but the basics are pretty simple. With that said, if I got this game as a kid I would be pissed off.

My next plan is a Mimmus landing (if who is to be believed it should be pretty easy with
just a hand full of modifications to
the current build I'm useing). That or docking. Actually, probably docking, because I will need that later.

FTFY. If something can land on the Mun it can land on Minmus. It may be overkill, but it definitely can.

And go for docking. I hear it helps. I never actually learned how to dock with docking ports. I mean, I can set up an intercept and get ships to the same speed/velocity, and I can then grab one with the Klaw/Transfer Kerbals/Whatever else needs to be done, but I've never actually docked with docking ports. Or actually I might have done so once in an attempt to create a space station which never ended up doing anything, but I definitely don't dock as a matter of course. So yes, learn it now or you could end up not learning it ever.

Also, why did you have RCS? Why do people use RCS in general?
I've never used RCS for anything other than as the propellant for really light probes and as a propellant with an obscenely high (You can just keep adding more ports, they're all massless) t/w ratio.

Also, done with Dres, now it's time for the Eeloo/Moho mission. I don't know if my current ship has the delta-v to get from Kerbin to Eeloo to Moho, I think I should build a bigger one just to be safe. Also, because Moho has a relatively high surface gravity and takes an obscene amount of delta-v to get home from, rather than using my standard return stage I need to make the moho to orbit stage lighter and include a heavier moho orbit to Kerbin stage which gets left in orbit. (Lander is a thing involving a lander can, FL-T200s, and Rockomax 48-7Ss. Usually I just take along an ion thruster, some xenon, and a command seat and use that to return but Moho's gravity+high delta-v requirement means that I'll take two, one heavy one one light one, and switch in orbit of Moho)
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1154 (isolation #21) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:44 am

Post by Who »

Whichever branch gets you closer to ion thrusters. Ion thrusters are god.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1157 (isolation #22) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:29 am

Post by Who »

That depends on whether or not you use guides. If you wanted, you could download mechjeb+a rocket capable of going anywhere, tell mechjeb to fly it there*, and it would go there. Alternatively, you could not download KSP and get a similar experience.

Whether or not you use guides is up to you. I would recommend using the following:
The ingame tutorials. (I think they've been updated as of .24 and are now even more helpful)
Wikipedia's pages on rocket science/orbital mechanics**

*I think. I've never actually used mechjeb but I hear it does everything for you.
**Most of those things you can figure out on your own and it feels much better than if you looked them up (For example, I discovered bi-elliptic transfers on the way back from the mun when I didn't have the fuel for a hohmann transfer and it was glorious), but some things you should know going in, for example, the tsiolkovsky rocket equation. (Not that you'll necessarily be plugging in numbers, but it helps to have an idea of what affects your delta-v in what way)
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1327 (isolation #23) » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:56 pm

Post by Who »

In post 1326, Sudo_Nym wrote:So, if I can only afford one or the other, should I get Wasteland 2 or Kerbal Space Program?

Kerbal Space Program.

It's the greatest game in all of history.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1705 (isolation #24) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Post by Who »

In post 1703, Untrod Tripod wrote:I'm going to spend an appreciable portion of the next day(s) on Deus Ex HR

advice?

If you want to try to stealth past everything, keep in mind that the bosses will fuck you over.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1719 (isolation #25) » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 am

Post by Who »

I'm not saying DXHR was bad, I'm just saying that make sure you are prepared for bossfights. The first few levels, which didn't have bossfights, were great, I just got fucked when I went up against a boss and my only lethal weapon was a pistol because I didn't realize that I would ever need to kill anything. I'll go back to it at some point.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1912 (isolation #26) » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:52 pm

Post by Who »

In post 1907, bv310 wrote:WOOOOOO New Dishonored!

Like, I was excited for Fallout 4 because I love the series, but Dishonored is one of my favourite games, and getting to play as the little girl from the first game is awesome. I might be more hyped for this than I am for Fallout.

As soon as I saw this I got mega-hyped. But now I have a bad feeling. I haven't been this excited for a game since Assassin's Creed 3. And that was horrifically awful. But like, I don't see how they can screw it up. The first game was just so good.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1918 (isolation #27) » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Post by Who »

In post 1915, bv310 wrote:
In post 1912, Who wrote:
In post 1907, bv310 wrote:WOOOOOO New Dishonored!

Like, I was excited for Fallout 4 because I love the series, but Dishonored is one of my favourite games, and getting to play as the little girl from the first game is awesome. I might be more hyped for this than I am for Fallout.

As soon as I saw this I got mega-hyped. But now I have a bad feeling. I haven't been this excited for a game since Assassin's Creed 3. And that was horrifically awful. But like, I don't see how they can screw it up. The first game was just so good.

Have you watched the trailer? It looks like they stuck to what was best in the first game, but just added Emily.

I know, which is why I'm so hyped.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #2315 (isolation #28) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 am

Post by Who »

BBS had the best gameplay, days had the best story. Also, considering that it was on the DS, days had great gameplay.

I've never played Re:Coded, only watched the cutscenes. I've never played 3D, and never finished CoM. I tried to get through Re:CoM but it was so boring.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #2316 (isolation #29) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:47 am

Post by Who »

Om, I didn't think the Xaldin fight was anything special. I didn't do the data refight though. Best fight in the series would probably be either Sephiroth in 2 or Iron Imprisoner 4 in BBS. I haven't played all the BBS bosses though, I still have yet to beat vanitas remnant and fight the other guy.
Who said that?
Or is it?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #2510 (isolation #30) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:55 am

Post by Who »

I've played it, it's a fun game. I haven't played in in a while though. The servers seem to be dead.
Who said that?
Or is it?

Return to “The Arcade”