[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #541 (isolation #0) » Sun May 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Post by Kaiveran »

Seeking official review and approval for this setup:

Jack Be Nimble
13 Players

1 Mafia JOAT (3 Powers)
2 Mafia Goons

2 Town JOATs (3 Powers)

8 Vanilla Townies

Mafia JOAT Powers are randomly selected from the following pool:
  • Roleblock
  • Strongman Kill (Variant: Protection/Bodyguard/PGO Immune)
  • Ninja Kill (Variant: Watcher/Roleblock Immune)
  • Bus Drive
  • Role Cop
Town JOAT Powers are randomly selected from the following pool:
  • Cop
  • Watcher
  • Jailkeeper
  • Friendly Neighbor
  • Bodyguard
  • Vigilante
  • Roleblocker
  • Commuter
  • Kidnapper
  • PGO
  • Vengeful Self (permanent)

This setup was previously looked at by LlamaFluff here.

The main points I think need to be addressed before this starts getting run:
  • Fluff indicates that he feels it might be slightly scum sided in theory, but it is counteracted by the Town JOATs being effectively conftown when they claim (barring a successful JOAT fakeclaim, which will be
    extremely
    difficult); is everyone else willing to give a pass on this? If not, perhaps one or two other VTs will help?
  • I still feel like the power pools might need some tweaking for maximum balance.
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #542 (isolation #1) » Tue May 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Post by Kaiveran »

There are things that go bump in the night. And we are the ones who bump back.
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #544 (isolation #2) » Tue May 27, 2014 5:10 pm

Post by Kaiveran »

In post 543, BBmolla wrote:I mean the setup is kind of swingy to balance completely by nature of it being super semi open but here

Does PGO need to be activated?

Yes.

Are all abilities one shot?

Never seen a game where JOAT powers are not one shot. the answer is yes.

If so, does Kidnapper get used up if used one night and the JOAT doesn't die?

I suppose I should outline what the Kidnapper power here does since there's no wiki page for it. Kidnapping a player here is essentially a combination of Roleblocking the target and forcing the target to Hide behind you. Any role action that the target takes is blocked, any role action that would normally resolve on the target is blocked, and any action that affects the Kidnapper also affects the target. It is used up after one use. I was going to have it carry over to the next day so that his target dies if he gets lynched, but decided against it.

What are you attempting to accomplish with this setup?

I wanted to bring the variety of powers, and the "facing the unknowns" element of C9++ and family, to something that's as close to a "standard" set up as possible. The powers are unknown but concentrated in a small number of players relative to the team size.

If mafia could choose Town JOAT's abilities, which ones would they choose?

This is a hard question to answer because one, it's not the case, and two. I specifically aimed to pick powers that had more-or-less equal footing with each-other. I wouldn't know what to specifically choose until I had a player roster to deal with. However, looking at it now after a while, I would probably avoid choosing Cop and watcher in most circumstances. I guess that's supposed to mean they're unbalanced, but I'd like to hear more.
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #545 (isolation #3) » Tue May 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Post by Kaiveran »

BTW sorry for not reviewing your Empires setup molla. I got sucked into that miserable hole called life.
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #548 (isolation #4) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Post by Kaiveran »

As my turn in the Open queue is coming up soon and I've been working on this with LlamaFluffStuff, I would like to have a few more pairs of eyes on this semi-open multiball setup.
It's tentatively called
C18++
, but given how close the revisions have made it to its inspiration, I'd be willing to call it
Two-Fold C9++.

Wiki article here.
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #551 (isolation #5) » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 am

Post by Kaiveran »

In post 549, reinoe wrote:
I have a problem with a setup that's not approved having it's own wiki page. Aren't there enough vanity Open setups that have only been used once or none clogging up the Open games setups?

This setup is probably getting a trial run soon, so it's not going to be unused as you say, hopefully. I felt that a wiki article was the best way to explain and present the setup. I understand that vanity pages are a problem, and if it does end up being aborted before it runs, I will gladly delete the article.

Therefore, please criticize the game, and not the manner in which it is delivered.
I'm meowing
AT
you, not
WITH
you

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”