Private Topics Discussion (Now with Mish Mash)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

When I scroll down the View Active Topics page, I saw Neighborhood Kilo (http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p5838713) on the list.
I was wondering why it is included as an active topic (which excluding marathon weekends, are just non-game threads)
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

It's because Completed PTs weren't excluded from Active Topics until just now.
Retired as of October 2014.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

In post 146, SleepyKrew wrote:
In post 143, RichardGHP wrote:Also, I think "manipulation" is an overly strong word. It is certainly not appropriate to describe what I do. I often reroll setups a few times anyway to get what I view as the best possible distribution. Again, this is not based on mathematical reasoning, just my thought process. For the same reason you might shake a pair dice for longer than usual or shuffle a deck of cards more thoroughly than usual, if you want to make sure that the result is "more random" (don't yell at me).
Just jumping in on this:
What you are describing is absolutely manipulating otherwise random results. It doesn't matter how much you shake the dice, the chance of any given outcome never changes. What you're saying is "oh I got three 2's, not random enough try again". Your dice and card examples are to assure randomness before getting a result. The modding practice you're describing is changing things
after
a result.
I already told you I know randomness is assured from the outset. In my mind, however, it is possible to have different levels of randomness. It is how I work. Don't like it, don't join my games. Also, you're misquoting my example, but since I am phoneposting I will let that slide.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 152, RichardGHP wrote:I already told you I know randomness is assured from the outset. In my mind, however, it is possible to have different levels of randomness.
Altering a random result because it doesn't look random enough actually reduces the randomness.
In post 152, RichardGHP wrote:It is how I work. Don't like it, don't join my games.
It's shitty practice. Don't do it, and then you won't have to worry about your players trying to outguess you on whether this game is the game you went against your convention to screw with people.
In post 152, RichardGHP wrote:Also, you're misquoting my example, but since I am phoneposting I will let that slide.
When you get the chance, please tell me what I misquoted.
To be clear: quack
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 152, RichardGHP wrote:In my mind
This fragment right here--this is not how randomness works.

Furthermore, you're excluding random options because they... don't look random? That doesn't make any sense and you're reducing the possibilities of a setup the players would be looking for. As SleepyKrew said, it's a poor practice and you're trying to shed blame from it, which just looks silly when you're the one doing it.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

Actually, I no longer care enough to keep debating this. I have defended my position as best I can and it's not going to change anytime soon, so the way I see it, we're just going around in circles.

Edit: In case I phrased it poorly earlier, my view is that while all random distributions are mathematically equal, some outcomes are more desirable than others. I get that the "done thing" is to stick with the first roll you get until the end, but I am not afraid to reroll if I get what I view as an undesirable outcome, and I stand by that absolutely.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 155, RichardGHP wrote:some outcomes are more desirable than others.
In post 155, RichardGHP wrote:I am not afraid to reroll if I get what I view as an undesirable outcome
kajdkdjskdjfnfkdowkdmdkxnsoxnsksjsndkxnajxoxnskxkd
I think you just gave my stats teacher a hernia

I want to keep telling you why you are wrong and it is bad but you have made it clear that you have no intention to listen and I don't think anyone else will be taking up the mantle for your position so I'll just go back to

Just
One final thing
You're mistaking arbitrariness for randomness
To be clear: quack
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:48 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

In post 155, RichardGHP wrote:but I am not afraid to reroll if I get what I view as an undesirable outcome,
what would be an example of an undesirable outcome?
Show
Things I've learned.
1. It's just a game, have fun.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
3. Don't take everything so personal.
4. Tunneling sucks (unfortunately I can't seem to stop)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 am

Post by Faraday »

Rolling dice to prove you randomised seems a good idea, not like it puts much additional effort on the mod + being able to show the players is something I've always wanted to do but was too lazy to do zoraster's method.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:07 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 155, RichardGHP wrote:Actually, I no longer care enough to keep debating this. I have defended my position as best I can and it's not going to change anytime soon, so the way I see it, we're just going around in circles.
Going in circles? It's more all of MD telling you that what you are doing is wrong in every way you look at it. At this point you had two options: fix your shit or run for mommy.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 am

Post by zoraster »

come on, that's not necessary. At the very least, at least RGHP is being honest, which is instructive.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:44 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

in the past on another site I have done similar things to richard, an important role goes to someone who is a VI or something you want to re-roll it.

Right or wrong it is his right to set his games up however he wants so like he said if you don't like the way he does it just don't join his games. I wouldn't be surprised if more people actually did this but most wouldn't have the courage to speak up.
Show
Things I've learned.
1. It's just a game, have fun.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
3. Don't take everything so personal.
4. Tunneling sucks (unfortunately I can't seem to stop)
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:50 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 160, zoraster wrote:come on, that's not necessary. At the very least, at least RGHP is being honest, which is instructive.
that's just one step.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:57 am

Post by RichardGHP »

Just to be clear, any rerolling is done
BEFORE
signups. I would never change the assignments after that, so it's not like I'm playing favourites, if Jake from State Farm gave that impression.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:58 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 161, Jake from State Farm wrote:in the past on another site I have done similar things to richard, an important role goes to someone who is a VI or something you want to re-roll it.

Right or wrong it is his right to set his games up however he wants so like he said if you don't like the way he does it just don't join his games. I wouldn't be surprised if more people actually did this but most wouldn't have the courage to speak up.
This is my point. I think Richard is just an example of someone who is willing to admit to it, whether he's misguided or not. I suspect he is just one of many. Which is why I don't think it's wrong for me to say I don't trust mods to secretly randomly generate without manipulating.

That being the case, there are gains by being able to verify (or at least partially verify) random generation. As a mod, I like that. As a player, I like that.

---

All that said, this is just one very tiny benefit of private topics on the whole. There are certainly bigger ones, and I don't want that to get away from us.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:01 am

Post by zoraster »

ANNOUNCEMENT

The following will be added to the Private Topic policy:
Xalxe wrote:Moderators of Mish Mash games who would benefit from the use of Private Topics should PM Xalxe for permission to create them. Permission will be granted on a case-by-case basis, depending on their intended function. Generally, they should only be used for topics which require multiple users to have access, not one-on-one discussions.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:08 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 164, zoraster wrote:This is my point. I think Richard is just an example of someone who is willing to admit to it, whether he's misguided or not. I suspect he is just one of many. Which is why I don't think it's wrong for me to say I don't trust mods to secretly randomly generate without manipulating.
I'm legitimately curious what you think you gain by a permanent paranoia about the randomness of role generation.

Even if a mod fudges 15% of the time, it's not anything you can rely on or make decisions based on. Newbie Games showed a general and systematic bias against some setups, and we fixed that by having the LM roll for them. But for an individual mod, in an individual game? The fact that Richard MIGHT reroll tells you absolutely nothing about the setup. The fact that I might reroll tells you nothing. The setup is already so complex that the small chance of a non-random factor literally vanishes unless they are blatantly assigning PRs to their friends. In which case, would you really play that mod's game to begin with? It's not like you can 'verify' that they have randomly assigned the roles BEFORE that particular game is over, so what are you really gaining by all the hoops?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:26 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 166, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 164, zoraster wrote:This is my point. I think Richard is just an example of someone who is willing to admit to it, whether he's misguided or not. I suspect he is just one of many. Which is why I don't think it's wrong for me to say I don't trust mods to secretly randomly generate without manipulating.
I'm legitimately curious what you think you gain by a permanent paranoia about the randomness of role generation.

Even if a mod fudges 15% of the time, it's not anything you can rely on or make decisions based on. Newbie Games showed a general and systematic bias against some setups, and we fixed that by having the LM roll for them. But for an individual mod, in an individual game? The fact that Richard MIGHT reroll tells you absolutely nothing about the setup. The fact that I might reroll tells you nothing. The setup is already so complex that the small chance of a non-random factor literally vanishes unless they are blatantly assigning PRs to their friends. In which case, would you really play that mod's game to begin with? It's not like you can 'verify' that they have randomly assigned the roles BEFORE that particular game is over, so what are you really gaining by all the hoops?
And I think that's a legitimate question that has a couple different answers, both of which are true.

1. Does there have to be anything "gained" by permanent paranoia? Particularly so if it is justified paranoia? I don't base my beliefs on what I'd like to believe is true.

2. That said, the reason this came up was when several people balked at some of us saying that using dice rolls in a private topic might be a good way to have verifiable randomness. If all mods everywhere always perfectly randomize their roles and never manipulate and every player believes this to be the case, this would be unnnecessary. But because I believe mods absolutely do manipulate, and I think other players share my belief, it works in my favor to provide new and better ways of proving to players that I am doing everything I can to give them a random setup.

You've made a lot of assumptions about what players might and might not take into account. I do not make the same assumptions.

As for what's gained even though they don't verify until after: I tell them beforehand that things are randomized using this method. Unless they believe I'm lying about that in a way that will get me in trouble when the game is over, they now have assurance I did not manipulate the roles. Regardless, the vast majority of players in my games, particularly my large games, are repeat customers. I tend to run multiple games a year.

That built trust is important to me, even if it is not to others.

You are free to randomize (or not randomize) your roles as you see fit. I have not suggested nor do I plan to suggest we mandate anything here. But if you believe there is an implicit criticism of those who do not strive to prove their randomness when such a thing is readily available, your belief is correct.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:44 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 167, zoraster wrote:You've made a lot of assumptions about what players might and might not take into account. I do not make the same assumptions.
I believe the burden of proof is on you to show that imperfect randomization breaks games. That's why I asked the way I did - not to prove that it happened or didn't happen, but that it can have an impact on the game,
during the game
. There's too much noise and incomplete information to derive anything about the role X has in Y's game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:51 am

Post by zoraster »

Why in the world would that be? That is a patently absurd statement to make, and there is absolutely no reason for me to need to do that. It's incumbent upon you to show that imperfect randomization is not a problem if you want to justify it despite the fact that randomization is a pretty crucially held concept in mafia games.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:15 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Zoraster, my problem isn't the aspect of verification per say. I'm not hugely for it or against it. It's that I find dice rolls an inferior way of actually randomizing alignment and find it an overall worse method than simply using my current method. If I was able to use my current method in a verifiable way, I would as it's not really a big deal to me one way or another.

That is to say I don't really understand why it's important to verify a mod's honesty in distributing the roles, but I don't really have a problem with it outside of the fact that a push toward it might force or pressure me to use what I feel is an inferior randomization method.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:17 am

Post by zoraster »

Well it's a little bit more work for the mod to put together, but is it inferior outside of that?
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:27 am

Post by Zachrulez »

That it's more efficient to put together is why I prefer my current method. How much value we put in the ability to verify that it was put together honestly is where we part company.

In fact I've as much as said that I would be happy to use my current method in a verifiable way if it was possible, but I don't find the advantage of verification alone a big enough one to use dice tags.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:39 am

Post by Majiffy »

This looks like fun, I'm glad it's finally ready.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:45 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 161, Jake from State Farm wrote:in the past on another site I have done similar things to richard, an important role goes to someone who is a VI or something you want to re-roll it.

I am aware of this occurring with certain mods off-site, but I'm not aware of it with anyone here.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

Return to “Mafia Discussion”