Yet Another Dance of the Title Fairy: Change Up

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #2750 (ISO) » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

Well, the user it belongs to has not posted on the site in over two years. I don't think they would mind.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2751 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:18 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2750, RichardGHP wrote:Well, the user it belongs to has not posted on the site in over two years. I don't think they would mind.
Except DemonHybrid is Matias, and we're not giving someone the same title as a legend like Phoebus?

Furthermore, are we seriously discussing
rewarding breaking site rules
with a title? We shouldn't be handing out titles, the admins should be handing out a ban.
green shirt thursdays
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #2752 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:42 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Overall I don't think a nomination being similiar to an existing title disqualifies it and I don't generally agree with the rewarding bad behaviour argument against titles. However given that the extreme similarity to an existing title does somewhat weaken the nomination and we are discussing violations of site rules rather then posting or playing styles I'm not exactly awed by the nomination.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2753 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Post by Oversoul »

MafiaSSK >
Lurkerscum

A play on mafiascum and his purposeful play style as a lurker. MafiaSSK epitomizes lurkiness.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2754 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:06 am

Post by Natirasha »

That's kinda weak.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #2755 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Post by Katsuki »

In post 2753, Oversoul wrote:MafiaSSK >
Lurkerscum

A play on mafiascum and his purposeful play style as a lurker. MafiaSSK epitomizes lurkiness.
Considering how many games you've played with me before...
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2756 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Post by saulres »

There are
far
too many lurkers on this site to give one a title.

And we don't want to reward lurking behavior anyway, do we?
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2757 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Post by Oversoul »

In post 2756, saulres wrote:There are
far
too many lurkers on this site to give one a title.

And we don't want to reward lurking behavior anyway, do we?
That "rule" went out the window the moment Varsoon got his title, so...

There are lurkers out there but none that make it their defining characteristic. On purpose. As both alignments.

We could go MoI gimmick with "has been prodded". Alternatives can be "I promise I'll play", "under the radar", etc.

I mean, when I think of MafiaSSK I think lurker. When I think of Katsuki I think... cupcakes?
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2758 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Post by Oversoul »

And if people are serious about giving Tamuz a title it could be something like "Oh, Chomsky" (insert other logician, linguist person). Tongue in cheek but really gets the point across about his persona.

That's what I think when I see his posts.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #2759 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

You're suggesting a title that encourages MafiaSSK to lurk in order to live up to his reputation. Don't use titles to recognize bad behavior. The fact that it's been done before (I don't know the context behind Varsoon's title, so I'm just taking your word for it) doesn't make it better.

Also, a ton of players lurk a lot and it's not at all special that he does.
MafiaSSK
MafiaSSK
Jack of All Trades
MafiaSSK
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2760 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Post by MafiaSSK »

I've sort of been in an invitational for my lurking. Yeah, it's pretty cool.
And it's who I am, it's my playstyle. I'm glad its being recognized by the site again.
I'd gladly accept a title for my lurking were anyone to agree with it.
Call me "SSK, or "ssk". Mafia is my father.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2761 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:31 am

Post by quadz08 »

nope nope nope
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2762 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:31 am

Post by quadz08 »

even beyond the "bad behavior" thing, it's a
really lame title
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2763 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:53 am

Post by Oversoul »

In post 2759, DeathRowKitty wrote:You're suggesting a title that encourages MafiaSSK to lurk in order to live up to his reputation. Don't use titles to recognize bad behavior. The fact that it's been done before (I don't know the context behind Varsoon's title, so I'm just taking your word for it) doesn't make it better.

Also, a ton of players lurk a lot and it's not at all special that he does.
The title I am suggesting does not require MafiaSSK to lurk in order to live up to his reputation. MafiaSSK will continue to lurk regardless of his title, I can pretty much guarantee that.

From his GTKAS:
In post 3, MafiaSSK wrote:Just how do you refine lurking into such an artform?
There are always prodding deadlines in every ruleset. No one ever uses them to their full advantage. I do. Simple as that.
At the risk of making this a personal attack on Varsoon, I am just going to point you to Nacho's nomination. I'd like to point out Nacho's other preference was Scatlord and the obvious connotations of scat...

My own personal experience with Varsoon was this game.

And since when is lurking bad behavior? It is not more destructive than fakeclaims, random hammers, replacing out all the time, or just generally abusive playstyle.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2764 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:55 am

Post by quadz08 »

You are right it is similarly destructive to those other bad behaviors you mentioned. Just because it's not
bannable
doesn't make it something we should encourage.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2765 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:32 am

Post by Oversoul »

Lurking is less destructive than those I mentioned. Lurking is a viable strategy as a player, I don't see why it is bad behavior at all.
I guess my main point is that one person lurking does not make a game unplayable. One person (slot in terms of the replacement) doing the other behaviors I mentioned easily does make the game unplayable.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #2766 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:25 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Oversoul, I think the reason you think MafiaSSK should get a title for his lurking is because you are mistaking "title" with "policy lynch." In fact, if we're looking to give him a title for his lurking, we should make it something useful:

Nominate MafiaSSK for I intentionally lurk every game and I am proud of it. Please policy lynch me day 1 until I change this behavior.

That would be a great title for him, assuming players in his games are willing to take it seriously.

But no, really, your insistence that lurking is a good basis for a title is mindboggling.
In post 2765, Oversoul wrote:Lurking is a viable strategy as a player, I don't see why it is bad behavior at all.
I guess my main point is that one person lurking does not make a game unplayable.
I really hope you're not serious.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2767 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:52 am

Post by Oversoul »

In post 2766, DeathRowKitty wrote:Oversoul, I think the reason you think MafiaSSK should get a title for his lurking is because you are mistaking "title" with "policy lynch." In fact, if we're looking to give him a title for his lurking, we should make it something useful:

Nominate MafiaSSK for I intentionally lurk every game and I am proud of it. Please policy lynch me day 1 until I change this behavior.

That would be a great title for him, assuming players in his games are willing to take it seriously.

But no, really, your insistence that lurking is a good basis for a title is mindboggling.
In post 2765, Oversoul wrote:Lurking is a viable strategy as a player, I don't see why it is bad behavior at all.
I guess my main point is that one person lurking does not make a game unplayable.
I really hope you're not serious.
Erm?
In post 0, TheButtonmen wrote:A title should subtly or not-so-subtly reference an amusing incident, playstyle or characteristic that the entire community can understand.
I'm suggesting a title based on his playstyle and his characteristics. A lurking title is a good title for MafiaSSK. I've suggested alternates but I guess this one isn't going to fly.

And I am serious. Do you think I am trolling? Well, maybe a little ;) but I do think this title fits every aspect it should.
What does one lurker in a game do to the game? Someone investigates him? Someone shoots him? Like a normal part of the game?
What does someone being brutal and mean to do the game? Changes the atmosphere of the game, makes it generally undesirable to play.
What does someone fakeclaiming a guilty do to the game? Possibly outs other PRs, gets a townperson killed, gets themselves killed, etc.
What does someone just hammering others do to the game? Again, possibly gets a townperson killed and basically guarantees their lynch for the next day.
What does replacing out all the time do? Makes the slot and the game slower and changes the atmosphere.

I can think of many recent games that all have had characteristics like this in it that caused more problems than someone lurking.

Lurking is a viable scum strategy and thus a viable town strategy. You can say purposefully making your town and scum games match is not in the spirit of the game, but that is tough to sell. I don't see why everyone abhors a title based on it. MafiaSSK has already endorsed he would not mind a title based on it and so does not find it offensive or any of its consequences (policy lynch).

But, my litmus test says this isn't going to be productive any further.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #2768 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

In post 2767, Oversoul wrote:I'm suggesting a title based on a negative characteristic of MafiaSSK's playstyle that applies to a lot of players on site.

And I am serious. Do you think I am trolling?
What does one lurker in a game do to the game? Someone investigates him? Someone shoots him? Like a normal part of the game?
What do two lurkers do to the game? You policy lynch one and investigate the other? Someone shoots one of them? Like a normal part of the game?
What do six lurkers do to the game? The entire town grows apathetic when half the playerlist ceases to do anything of use? No one has fun? Like a normal part of the game?
What do ten lurkers do to the game? Well...never mind I guess there isn't much of a game anymore when you have everyone lurking... (Like a normal part of the game?)

I can think of many recent games in which the presence of a lurker improved my experience.

Lurking is harmful as town and thus a viable town strategy. You can say purposefully making your town and scum games match is against playing to your win condition and you would be correct if you did say so. I really hope no one does that because it ruins games and should not be rewarded with a title. I can't imagine why people are so against this. MafiaSSK plays in an intentionally anti-win con manner and is proud of it and that sounds to me like it's exactly what a title is about. Let's give it to him~
There, I fixed your post for you.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2769 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:04 am

Post by Oversoul »

I don't use tildes.
MafiaSSK
MafiaSSK
Jack of All Trades
MafiaSSK
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2770 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:24 am

Post by MafiaSSK »

In post 2768, DeathRowKitty wrote:
In post 2767, Oversoul wrote:I'm suggesting a title based on a negative characteristic of MafiaSSK's playstyle that applies to a lot of players on site.

And I am serious. Do you think I am trolling?
What do two lurkers do to the game? You policy lynch one and investigate the other? Someone shoots one of them? Like a normal part of the game?
What do six lurkers do to the game? The entire town grows apathetic when half the playerlist ceases to do anything of use? No one has fun? Like a normal part of the game?
What do ten lurkers do to the game? Well...never mind I guess there isn't much of a game anymore when you have everyone lurking... (Like a normal part of the game?)

I can think of many recent games in which the presence of a lurker improved my experience.

Lurking is harmful as town and thus a viable town strategy. You can say purposefully making your town and scum games match is against playing to your win condition and you would be correct if you did say so. I really hope no one does that because it ruins games and should not be rewarded with a title. I can't imagine why people are so against this. MafiaSSK plays in an intentionally anti-win con manner and is proud of it and that sounds to me like it's exactly what a title is about. Let's give it to him~
There, I fixed your post for you.
Are you seriously that stuck in site meta?
Lurking is a legitimate strategy and if you can't see how it is, then you're not as good of a mafia player as I thought you were.
Call me "SSK, or "ssk". Mafia is my father.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #2771 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:41 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Do I see how it can occasionally be a legitimate strategy? Sure.
Do I see how it can be a good strategy as a playstyle thing? No.

Go sleep.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2772 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:47 am

Post by saulres »

In post 2770, MafiaSSK wrote:Lurking is a legitimate strategy but it's no fun to play with people who do it
FTFY.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2773 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:48 am

Post by quadz08 »

i agree with saulres
Bert
Bert