[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
SalmonellaDreams
SalmonellaDreams
Mafia Scum
SalmonellaDreams
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #528 (isolation #0) » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Post by SalmonellaDreams »

In post 527, BBmolla wrote:Faith Plus One has yet to have a town win, and I absolutely hate open setups with random chances so I was wondering if we could try to rework this a bit. I don't have anything great to suggest as of yet, but I definitely love the "If both Docs protect the cop, their protection fails" element of the setup. Or, it's entirely possible the setup is fine as is and I'm just being a loser. Looking back, people seem to have commented on enjoying the setup:
In post 190, Amrun wrote:
In post 183, DarthYoshi wrote:
Faith Plus One
- This setup has four variants, so we really ought to just pick one and use it if people like it. I know it was played recently. Is there anyone here that played or read the game? What did they think of the setup? To me, it doesn't have that X-factor about it, and I think there are some people who think %-based roles are kind of meh. It feels a little scum-sided too. Again, would like others to weigh in on this one.
Speaking as the setup creator--the reason it was made was back in the spring when people discussed the brokenness of the basic 12p, I wanted to make a setup that allowed for both cop + doc roles without having to fall back on more cliched counters like maf roleblockers, macho cops, etc. Faith +1 is what resulted from that. If I had to pick one variant to go with, it'd be 1 doc + 1 ineffective doc + 1 cop. If it feels a little scum-sided, I am happy to work on that as well.

I played in the first time this was run and I really enjoyed the set up.

I think the 2 ineffective doc version (the one I played) was really interesting because we had to figure out how to try and protect the cop correctly without BOTH doing it (and I actually was protecting the cop the night he died, but my 50% failed).

I didn't see a problem with it, balance-wise. it was fun.
And here's my problem with it. Here you have a game completely changed because of the 50%. A cop living or dying randomly is
hugely
swingy.

Worst comes to worst, I might just take the "both docs protect X target is fails" concept and make a different setup.
I'm still not that experienced with set-up design, but here's my two cents:

Keep the set-up the same, just adjust the mechanics. If both of the doctors target the same player, the protection fails. If one of the doctors dies, the other doctor will always fail when attempting to protect the cop, but will still be able to protect any other player without a chance of failure. The doctors will fail if they both target each other, but not if only one of the doctors protects the other doctor. I feel like this should maintain the balance, continue to keep "follow the cop" out of the picture, and eliminate the swinginess.

How's it sound?

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”