Hydras in mini normals

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (isolation #0) » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:45 am

Post by gorckat »

@Tierce:

I think that's good, but potentially creates another problem if the majority of games are good with hydras (which I assume they are- could be totes off base), then players not wanting to play with hydras have to watch like a hawk for games that fit their taste. I suppose they could check the queue for mods with no hydras and pre-in, though.

But I think rolling back one step is more important first, because I had forgotten I wanted to initiate this thread myself a couple months ago:

Are hydras
Normal
?

As an off the cuff thought experiment, would you consider a game with 13 hydras Normal? (Assume it formed organically and was not advertised as a game for hydras- I believe that was shown to be not normal/violating player limits.)

EDIT: Duh- forgot to answer my own question. How rude.

I don't think Hydras are Normal because they require a change in how you interact with them.

-You can't press on them and try to force mistakes the same- one head can back off and tell a potential hot head partner to take a breather for a meat world day or two.
-Behavior changes between days aren't as indicative as a solo player because the other might be in the driver seat.
-You also have the potential to create a 'super slot' where you take a good gut player and a persuader- they cover the other's strenghts, and the gut player doesn't even have to post once in the game, just share reads and suggest pressure points.
Last edited by gorckat on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (isolation #1) » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:53 am

Post by gorckat »

Hydras being more than one player is not the argument that they are not Normal.

Barring a replacement, I argue that you shouldnot have to judge multiple playstyles in a single slot.

Imagine a hydra of kuribo and mastin2 with unsigned posts and secret heads. It is obviously two people posting, but how in the world do I judge that slot? It rages, it walls, it pushes different ways.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (isolation #2) » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Post by gorckat »

In post 34, Cabd wrote:
In post 33, gorckat wrote:Imagine a hydra of kuribo and mastin2 with unsigned posts and secret heads.
If you were unable to tell those heads just by looking at what they posted, then you probably wouldn't be able to meta them anyways.
I'm not necessarily talking meta (because I generally don't), but rather just reading in-game, and the example is a bit poor/extreme.

I was trying to get at the idea of reads are created on a player based on their behavior and how it changes over the course of a game. Two players react and change differently from each other, and both posting as one player-slot is a muddy water that is not "Normal".

FWIW- if the powers that be come down on the side of "Hydras are Normal, dealwithit.gif", then so be it. I don't think mith has ever weighed in in the same way normal/flavor were resolved. If this were to occur, then I would just re-read the recent queue activity and possibly make a suggestion or three to Tierce about game announcements.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (isolation #3) » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Post by gorckat »

That is interesting...check hydra lynch rates to see where power leans balance wise. Nifty.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (isolation #4) » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:56 am

Post by gorckat »

In post 43, Ankamius wrote:I don't really see the issue.
my lawn is trampled
when four feet walk in two shoes
get the fuck off it!

I am accepting my curmudgeonly position.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”