petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #1176 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Vote: Klebian

Also, I will restate that your lack of hammer mean nothings. No matter how many times you click "refresh", there is always the possibility that I could have slipped in an unvote which would catch you red-handed.

In fact, this discussion thread shows why I pretty much don't really care about your lack of hammer in the circumstances.

My vote will not change for the next ten minutes, however. It could change later, but this would probably help my thought processes. And if this results in town loss, then oh well.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1177 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:47 pm

Post by Glork »

From Newbie 297, two posts on my quicklynch stance:
Glork, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=502974#502974]Post 151[/url] wrote:Okay, this has relatively little do with the game and more to do with general mafia theory and my attitude towards Newbie games. But I feel I have to present it anyway:

I don't know about Ether, but I see little reason not to end the game and teach you the hard way why you don't hastily put a vote on a player in a LyLo (Lynch or Lose) situation. I have no compunctions about ending the game, as I am perfectly free to join another one immediately thereafter. There is little reason to risk being discovered (and losing) because you want to extend the game. The cat toys with the mouse, and the mouse escapes.

Seriously... I'd go "Vote: Ecto. Okay, we win. Now, here's what you did wrong and why you did it wrong. Now go play another Newbie game and try not to make the same mistake again." The whole point of a Newbie game is to teach you folks about how the game works; toying with you not only risks losing the game, but it also gives a false indication that players will do the same thing in other games (which, in turn, only promotes carelessness with your votes in future LyLo situations).
Glork, [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=503227#503227]Post 153[/url] wrote:Meh. If you want to believe that it's possible that I'm scum with Ether and that we're trying to keep the game alive, that's fine. I suppose it is a
possibility
, but I just want to point out how incredibly
slim
that possibility is in reality. In fact, it's probably a good thing that you're keeping an open mind, but I can assure of one thing: Scums will pass up an opportunity to win a Mafia game in maybe 0.01% of all possible situations. And I cannot honestly think of a single instance in which that has ever actually happened in a game.
If you want to be obstinate to the point of disbelieving me and lynching me later on, fine. The loss can be on your hands... because if that ends up being the case, I really wouldn't care if we end up losing.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1178 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:48 pm

Post by Glork »

Heh, okay, so we have a difference in opinions. Now are we sure we want to lynch Klebian or not?
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1179 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:50 pm

Post by Glork »

Vote: Klebian
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1180 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:51 pm

Post by Glork »

Blocking VitR if he turns up scum, and one of VitR/Dahen if he turns up town.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1181 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:55 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Frick. Guess I'll see what happens. *sigh*
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1182 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:58 pm

Post by Glork »

Yea, I made the decision for us. Sorry if we lose, mate. I think we have a pretty good shot, though. <3
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
klebian
klebian
Mafia Scum
klebian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1183 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Post by klebian »

dammit dammit dammit.
Bah. Bah. Bah. PJ!!!!! C'mon, man.........
I'm saying scum won at this point.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1184 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:46 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Pfeh.

So Glork + VitR, I take it?
dahen
dahen
Goon
dahen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1185 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:14 pm

Post by dahen »

Sometimes it sucks to be asleep when all the fun happens.
I'm sorry if I helped in lynching the wrong guy.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1186 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

End of Day Vote Count

klebian: 4 (VitaminR dahen petroleumjelly Glork)
VitaminR: 2 (Fritzler klebian)
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1187 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:39 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

STARDATE 1047.2051:
The battle for control of the
SS Simian
, and with it the future of the Galaxy, has entered is drawing to a close. Only a handful of survivors are left, exhausted by the relentless hand-to-hand combat. It seemed that today they would be too exhausted to force anyone into the airlock at all.

But with just a few moments to go before the power shut-down, Glork and petroleumjelly finally managed to put aside their differences and push klebian into the airlock, before collapsing with fatigue. And then, as the power was finally switched off, Glork pressed the EJECT button. There was only enough power left to open the airlock doors a crack, but it was enough. Within seconds klebian had asphyxiated. And as his final breath left his body, the Galaxy became just a little bit safer.

klebian (
Gorilla
) - lynched day 7.

It is now night 8. Choices ASAP please!
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1188 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:21 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

STARDATE 2941.4901:
The battle for the
SS Simian
has entered its final phase. As the Ship's computer re-boots the power, only four survivors from the terrible battle remain. Among the fog and debris, it is impossible to see any of Fritzler's remains, save for a small scrap of dark blue uniform where he had been lying before the last power shut-down.

On the Battle Comms Screen, you can just make out the images of an approaching squadron of Space Monkey Fighters, rushing to respond to the Gorilla attack. But they are at least 3 days' travel away - which means that cannot possible get to the
SS Simian
in time. By the time they arrive, the battle will be over and the fate of the Galaxy will be sealed. They will either be greeted warmly and allowed on board; or blasted into atoms by the Ship's powerful Quantum Cannons - the first victims of the Gorillas' unstoppable march to take over the Galaxy!

The fate of all creatures is in your hands. Do not fail us now!

Fritzler (
Gorilla
) - vaporized night 8
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1189 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:14 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

STARDATE 2901.0305:
A few moments ago, the Space Monkey Fighter Squadron slowly approached the
SS Simian
. From the outside, the Ship was a mess. Vivid laser scars scored its bows and fins, while a large chunk of its underside was missing, as if gouged off by the jaws of some giant Space Shark.

The Squadron Leader nervously hailed the
SS Simian
, unsure whether the voice he would hear in response would be a Monkey or Gorilla.

For many minutes there was no response. The Fighter Pilots held their breath, not knowing whether the next thing they saw would be the terrible guns of the
SS Simian
turning on them.

"Repeat" said the Squadron Leader, "this is Squadron Leader, 17th Space Monkey Fight Squadron, do you read me
SS Simian
?"

And then, in choked voice, crackling with static, came the reply.

"This is
SS Simian
" said the voice, "Space Monkey Glork speaking. We've taken a lot of damage, and many dead, but I think we're going to be all right."

And across the Galaxy the cheer went up. The Evil Gorillas had been defeated and the GALAXY HAS BEEN SAVED!

GAME OVER: SPACE MONKEYS WIN!
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1190 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:14 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Survivors

Glork (Space Monkey)
VitaminR
replacing Nightson
(Space Monkey)

The Fallen

SpeedyKQ (Space Monkey Doctor) - killed night 1
bird1111 (
Gorilla
) - lynched day 1
MrBuddyLee (
Gorilla
) - vaporized night 2
inHimshallibe (
Gorilla
) - lynched day 2
Zindaras
replacing Sarcastro
(
Gorilla
) - vaporized night 3
Cogito Ergo Sum (Space Monkey) - lynched day 3
Masterchief
replacing Twomz
(
Gorilla Ensign
) - lynched day 4
spectrumvoid
replacing Phoebus
(
Gorilla
) - vaporized night 5
Save the Dragons (
Gorilla
) - modkilled day 5
AndrewS
replacing PookytheMagicalBear
(
Gorilla
) - vaporized night 6
Twito (Space Monkey) - lynched day 6
Thok
replacing Bogre
(
Gorilla Lieutenant
) - vaporized night 7
klebian (
Gorilla
) - lynched day 7
Fritzler (
Gorilla
) - vaporized night 8
dahen (
Gorilla
) - killed in endgame
petroleumjelly
replacing ibaesha
(
Gorilla
) - killed in endgame
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1191 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:15 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

The Setup

Roles
(17 real roles plus 1 NPC):

1 Space Monkey Doctor (NPC – dies night 1 from Gorilla laser fire)
4 Space Monkeys (Mafia)
1 Gorilla Lieutenant (Cop)
1 Gorilla Ensign (back-up cop)
11 Gorilla Soldiers (Townie)

Role PMs
:
Space Monkeys
: Cogito Ergo Sum, Glork, Nightson, Twito

The 4 of you the surviving members of the crew of the
SS Simian
. The only other Space Monkey on the bridge, SpeedyKQ (the Ship’s doctor) has just died of his wounds. You may speak to the surviving Space Monkeys at night.

But the situation is not as bleak as it seems. Although they outnumber you, it appears that the Gorillas have all been separated in the confusion of the battle for the bridge, and will be unable to coordinate their actions. They also do not realise that they outnumber you and may be posing as Space Monkeys.

Although you have no weapons, you may spend night 1 modifying the waste disposal system into an offensive capability; and starting with night 2 you may use this to kill the Gorillas, one by one. From night 2, one of you must PM me with the name of another player whom you wish to kill.

In other words: you 4 are the mafia and the Gorillas are the town. But the Gorillas all think they are the mafia.

Please PM me to confirm. You win when the all Gorillas have been killed and the
SS Simian
is safe once again
On night 4 the makeshift vaporizer malfunctioned and they had to spend the night repairing it.
Gorilla Lieutenant (Scum)

You are a member of the Gorilla Space Assault squad, second-in-command of the mission to capture the
SS Simian
and slaughter the crew.

But in the battle for the bridge you have become separated from your team and exhausted all your ammo. With all the confusion, they will have to find you – I will tell you if that happens. Until then, you must do what you can on your own to defeat the Space Monkeys.

However, you are able to recognise members of your Squad. Each night, PM me with the name of one player and I will tell you if they are a Space Monkey or a Gorilla.

You win when all the Space Monkeys are dead and at least one Gorilla survives. Please PM me to confirm with your first night choice.
Gorilla Ensign (Scum)

You are an officer in the Gorilla Space Assault squad. You were third-in-command of the mission to capture the
SS Simian
and slaughter the crew.

But in the battle for the bridge you have become separated from your team and exhausted all your ammo. With all the confusion, they will have to find you – I will tell you when/if that happens. Until then, you must do what you can on your own to defeat the Space Monkeys.

You win when all the Space Monkeys are dead and at least one Gorilla survives. Please PM me to confirm.
Gorilla Soldier (Scum)

You are a member of the elite Gorilla Space Assault squad, sent on the mission to capture the
SS Simian
and slaughter the crew.

But in the battle for the bridge you have become separated from your team and exhausted all your ammo. With all the confusion, they will have to find you – I will tell you if that happens. Until then, you must do what you can on your own to defeat the Space Monkeys.

You win when all the Space Monkeys are dead and at least one Gorilla survives. Please PM me to confirm.
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1192 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:15 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

For anyone who is interested, here are my thoughts on the game...

The Setup

This was a hard game to balance, because a huge amount depended on when the Gorillas realised that they were in the majority, and how that came about. It was possible that the Space Monkeys would make the revelation, in a way that made one or more of them appear to be almost certainly Gorilla.

I also wanted to keep the Gorillas in the dark as long as possible, with the idea being that their chances of winning or losing would depend very much on how quickly they cracked the setup. For that purpose:
  • Obviously there was the whole SpeedyKQ bluff and his "death" Night 1.
  • In addition, I decided that there would be no kill night 4, so as to introduce more confusion and reduce the number Gorilla nightkills - because the more Gorilla nightkills the more obvious it became who was doing the nightkilling.
  • The role revelations had to be somewhat ambiguous, else it would be too easy for the Gorillas to spot what was going on as soon as there were 1 or 2 Gorilla deaths. And I obviously couldn't reveal power roles as anything other than Gorilla Ensign/Lieutenant ("Gorilla Cop" would have given the game away). In fact, none of the power roles died before the set-up was figured out, but I still had to keep to this rule. I did however on Day 5, in the morning scene, make it clear that spectrumvoid, who I listed just as "Gorilla", was in fact a Gorilla Soldier. I felt I owed the Gorillas that.
  • I did not give too many power roles to the Gorillas because it would have made the fact that they were the "town" obvious.
  • And of course there was the flavour of the front post and the PMs. This was the most difficult thing of all. I had to make it appear that the Space Monkeys were town and the Gorillas were scum, but I wanted to lie as little as possible. In the end I decided that I
    had
    to tell the Gorillas they were "Scum" in their PM because I was afraid that some players would not immediately recognise that they were being given a Traitor role.
As regards the last point, I should respond to this:
petroleumjelly wrote:Of course, even if Gorillas are the uninformed majority, Stoofer's flavor makes absolutely no sense. For example:
Stoofer wrote:You are the surviving crew of the SS Simian. You are all that stand between the Gorillas and Galactic domination. You must make a last, desperate stand on the Ship’s bridge, to save the Galaxy. Although you face only a small number of the Gorillas, they are armed and well organised, while you have no weapons. The only way to defeat them is to use your combined strength to force them into the airlock one at a time. That would be hard enough at the best of times. But to make matters worse, the fog of battle means you cannot even see clearly who is a Space Monkey and who is Gorilla.
1.) This explicitly says there is a "small number" of Gorillas
2.) This explicitly says that the Gorillas "are organized" (which is definitely not true)
3.) This explicitly says that Space Monkeys do not have weapons (which goes against an informed minority of Space Monkeys)
4.) This explicity says that the only way Space Monkeys can kill Gorillas are to force them out of the airlock (which also makes no sense, since two Gorillas have already been nightkilled)

Either way I look at it, Stoofer is lying in terms of flavor. So meh.
Sure, the flavour was misleading although none of those statements were literally untrue:

1.) In my mind, the Gorilla Space Assault Squad had about 15 members, of whom 13 were alive at the start of the game. That is a "small number" to storm a ship the size of the
SS Simian
. (Don't ask me how the commanding officer of the Squad got killed. I don't know.)
2.) The Gorillas were well-organized in the sense of being well trained and well drilled; it wasn't lack of organization that lead to them being split up.
3.) The Space Monkeys didn't have any weapons - the vaporizer was a converted waste disposal unit that didn't work every night. And they hadn't even converted it at the time I wrote that.
4.) Again, that was true at the time - they didn't convert the waste disposal unit until the end of Night 1. This was perhaps the closest I came to an outright lie and in hindsight perhaps I could have made it more ambiguous, changing "The only way to defeat them is to..." into "You will have to..."

As I say, the flavour was misleading, but I tried to avoid lying as far as possible.

My comments on the Game

This game unfortunately got overtaken by role/flavour claiming. As petroleum jelly said:
PJ wrote:Not to mention the fact that the town has pretty much been relying solely on Thok's Cop claim, and now instead of using scumminess or bothering to reread, they are reverting to using role PMs. This game is pretty sad overall.
In fact, with hindsight I should have modkilled petroleumjelly for the amount of detail he went into in in his claim. But having let him get away with that, I couldn't punish players who did no more than he had done. Late in day 7 I sent VitaminR and Glork the Gorilla Solider role PM to try and balance this up. In the end I am glad that the Gorillas didn't win that way. I think PJ was right and that in the end it distracted them from properly analysing the game.

Next time I will make sure that the scum know enough about the townies role PMs to make this approach counter-productive.

Other mod comments

I found days 1 and 2 very interesting. Zindaras seemed to be the first to ventilate a thought that something was up. First he suggested that perhaps the Gorillas killed MrBuddyLee not knowing that he was a Gorilla. The he posted this:
There's way too much conflict here. MBL and bird were pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum, and I didn't see any way in which they were both scum.

But they were.
No one else seemed suspicious of the set-up at that time, and I wonder if the fact that Zindaras came in as a replacement enabled him to look at the situation more objectively than other players? Glork told me that it was this line of thinking that lead the Space Monkeys to kill Zindaras. Otherwise they would have killed Thok on Night 3 - and then just imagine how different the game would have been!

Personally, I think it was a mistake for the monkeys to have killed MBL. The fact that bird1111 and MBL were both Gorillas inevitably forced players to ask the questions that Zindaras asked above. petroleumjelly told me that that was a major giveaway for him.

They way the revelation came out was interesting. PJ's claim in post 530 was a classic that deserves to go down in history. I especially liked the beginning of post 534: "Oh, thank goodness".

I thought Glork handled the revelation process with his customary skill and almost came out of it as a confirmed Gorilla. Petroleumjelly even marked him down as almost confirmed for a short while.

Kudos to dahen for his breadcrumbing: very useful even if it did not work out quite the way he intended!

The whole Masterchief farce was a bit unfortunate. It should have been obvious from post 631, in which he purported to set out his PM in full, that he was a Gorilla - if that really had been his PM he would have been modkilled. But a townie who is that inattentive is just as dangerous as scum in the endgame, so he had to die.

dahen (post 888) wondered what it meant when I said, in Masterchief's death scene, that he could "impersonate the enemy". All I meant by that was that he had pretended to be a Space Monkey.

I think that the Space Monkeys then made another mistake by letting Thok live for so long. Glork told me that they believed that he would have doc protection. I don't like cop-lead games and so I specifically avoided putting in a doc, to ensure that the moment the cop claimed he would die. I even gave the Gorillas a back-up cop, safe in the knowledge that he couldn't survive for long either! It never occurred to me that the Space Monkeys would keep hunting in vain for the doc while letting the cop live. As Day 6 started, Glork told me in chat:
Glork wrote:I feel like us SMs are responsible for the position we're in because we nearly killed the Cop, and we decided not to. I think we probably could have won by now otherwise
The vain search for the Gorilla Doc of course allowed Thok to confirm a bunch of Gorillas, find the remaining scum, and almost win the game!
Last edited by Mr Stoofer on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1193 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:15 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

I enjoyed some of the questions/comments that I received by PM from players during the game, so I thought I'd post some of the more interesting/amusing ones. Unless otherwise stated I did not give any substantive response.

Lots of people, made comments when they got their role PM, asking if they had a night choice. E.g. Fritzler said:
Fritzler wrote:do i get to kill anyone? :cry:
and when I said not:
Fritzler wrote::cry:

you're mean
Other comments:
Masterchief wrote:So basically im mafia....
Save The Dragons wrote:oh joy. seperated.
I got asked a number of questions, such as:
inHimshallibe wrote:If I can be privy to this information - if straightforward investigators exist, will I turn up as scum in said "scum/not scum" investigations?
petroleumjelly wrote:Oof, this game is brutal.

Jelly premonition: If I am not lynched today, the Vig (guessing Glork) will take me out next. ><

A few questions:

1.) Do I have investigative immunity until I am recruited, by chance? I'm seriously doubting it since it's not explicitly in the role PM, but I've seen Traitor roles go both ways, so I have to ask.

2.) Will I be alerted if all the actual Gorilla scum group ceases to exist, so I'm the only one floating around? And if that happens, will I gain a killing power?

3.) How will I show up when I die? "Gorilla Soldier", "Gorilla", or something else? I have been considering claiming to have been culted if I come up "Soldier" explicitly, so as to help any remaining scum spread confusion.

Thanks. :)

PJ
I told him that I couldn't answer any of his questions.

I think it was pretty obvious that Masterchief struggled with the game. He asked me
Masterchief wrote:can you tell me my role in plain english please?
I responded:
Mr Stoofer wrote:You are a Gorilla (scum) but you don't know who the other Gorillas/scum are
inHimshallibe amused me with his occasional commentary:
inHimshallibe wrote:Just a funny observation on my part: I think I might be unknowingly suspicious of all my partners.

:P

Just for kicks, I'm going to say that I have at least one scummate between Glork and MBL.
inHimshallibe wrote:Space Monkey Mafia gives me fits, and kind of makes me want to go punch a hole in something. But it's terribly fun. :)

And if I've actually already sent you something like this a couple weeks ago, this message is only to drive home the point. Not knowing who my scumbuddies are drives me... yes, here's the pun...
bananas
. Definitely not a role I've ever had to play.
After 2 days petroleumjelly was obviously getting frustrated too:
petroleumjelly wrote:Do I get a consolation prize if I manage to help lynch all the gorillas? This is preposterous. Of course, I will probably be killed tonight by whatever is left of the gorilla group (if anybody), or alternatively, killed by GlorkVig (unless he is also a Gorilla).

>< Not actually expecting an answer. Just venting at my precarious situation. Sorry. >.>
During Night 3, Thok asked:
Thok wrote:Is it a safe assumption that in this game Scum=informed minority, Town=uninformed majority?

(I will accept the answers "yes", "no", or "I can't answer it but I'll make it a point to reference this PM at the end of the game")
This I think was a fair question, for the reasons which I told him in response:
Mr Stoofer wrote:There must be an informed minority vs. an uniformed majority. Otherwise it wouldn't be mafia.

Why do you ask?
He responded:
Thok wrote:I'm trying to decide if the Gorillas are the uninformed majority.
The same night Pooky said this:
PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:i'd be annoyed if the space monkeys were the actual mafia.
After he died, Zindaras sent me this:
Zindaras wrote:Please tell me Glork's a gorilla.

I really want to know if I'm right about him.

And I'm also curious to know if my theory (none of the scumbags know each other) is correct.
In fact I was a bit sad to see petroleumjelly give the game away because I was enjoying receiving these PMs!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1194 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:26 am

Post by Glork »

I'm just glad it's over. That game was
brutal.
But I must say, other than two things (PJ making up factually wrong arguments, and us nearly losing because of flavor-quoting), I had a lot of fun.

We didn't go into the game with any sort of plan or strategy. My personal strategy was just to create enough chaos and hopefully use the town's "scumminess" against them. It seemed to work out well enough. The one thing I was concerned about was that power roles would figure the game out first -- since they'd have abilities, some of which might be (highly?) unusual for Scum Traitors.

Killing MBL was probably a mistake and in retrospect, I don't remember why we decided to do so. I think the reasoning at the time was that it would create a lot of confusion if MBL and Bird both came up scum. If I remember correctly, I wanted to create the illusion of a killi having been blocked and a vig having killed MBLscum. It seemed to work out well enough... most players did something of a doubletake: "What? Both MBL
and
Bird were scum?"

As Stoof indicated, on Night Three, we almost killed Thok. I advocated a Thok kill, but Twito talked me into killing Zindaras, because he appeared to know too much about what was going on. I was upset when he basically claimed Cop and revealed that the alignments were backwards. Several of the players seemed to pick up on it, too... though PJ didn't, which surprised me. I also distinctly remember thinking, "We should test for the existence of a Doc by just targeting him tonight." Sadly enough, N4 was the night that we did not get to make a kill.

Juggling when to kill Thok was rough, and that's definitely where we made the biggest mistake (as I don't think killing Zindaras over Thok was a
mistake
per se... it made enough sense at the time). I figured that if we missed another kill for any reason, we were screwed... so I was trying to decide if there was a Doc or not. I figured three power roles, each of which would be fairly standard/typical. What we ultimately decided to do was to kill off a couple of unclaimed confirmeds who we thought might be potential Docs (SV, then AndrewS). N7 was our breaking point and we had to kill Thok.

For as little posting as Nightson did, we talked an awful lot, especially Night Six and Night Seven. I promised Stoof I'd post the chat logs from our conversations. I will go do that later on... it basically contains a lot of number-crunching and figuring out how to nightkill to best help our chances.

I don't know how the D7 Roleblocker claim appeared, but I pretty much made it up on the spot. I told Nightson that I was likely going to claim to be a Roleblocker partway through the day. As I read over the thread during N7, I realized that post-N4, I had called everybody pro-town or neutral at least once, so I knew I was going to have trouble justifying whichever "target" I chose. I ultimately chose Klebian for a few reasons:
1) I figured that my "I defaulted to Doc and didn't want to overplay my role like I did in Best of the Internet Mafia" excuse would hold up
well enough

2) I decided that the slow turning of "if there's a Godfather, PJ is it" to "if there's a Godfather, it's Klebian" would reflect my changing opinion that maybe I did block a kill afterall.
3) Attacking Klebian and having Thok investigate him as innocent the very next night gave me an excuse to not claim the result for the next couple of days.
4) I correctly guessed that if I claimed to have that result on an "unconfirmed" player, I would probably be lynched on the spot. And going after PJ like that probably would have been equally suicidal.

The flavor claiming D7 was awful. I had absolutely no idea how to deal with it, so I kept referring to my PM, PJ's claim, and the flavor in the opening post. When that pretty much failed, I had to resort to using "well obviously my role is laid out differently" excuse which I honestly did not expect to hold up. There was definitely a period of time when I thought I would be lynched based solely on flavor claims, and that bothered me a lot. As Stoof said, he eventually gave us the Soldier PMs and said we could cite/quote parts of it as we saw fit, but it was way too late by that point. Almost all of the relevant flavor had been claimed already, and I had already patentedly demonstrated that I new nothing of Soldier flavor. Furthermore, the two keywords that I saw which
hadn't
been claimed ("elite" and "capture") were contained in the same line that had "slaughter the crew"... and I had already stated that "slaughter the crew" was not contained in my role PM. (By the way, I think that bit of flavor claiming was the most modkill-worthy. Klebian posted that
exact
phrase, with the clear intention of saying "look, I have the role PM right here and this is how I'm proving it." However, Stoof had said that ending the game on a modkill like that was a sorry way to end a game, and I couldn't really argue with that.)

The whole thing at the end of the game, with PJ's attempt to get me to quick-hammer, was interesting. The reason I didn't quick-hammer was actually because not more than ten minutes prior, I realized that Fritz hadn't claimed to be anything. I actually became worried that he was a Vig (likely One-Shot, as I think he would have been much more active otherwise), and I thought that giving away the scumgroup could be suicide even if I did get the hammer. (Incidentally, two kills thhe next night -- one on scum -- would have basically cleared Fritz with an acceptable reason to have not claimed.) So I decided not to hammer, and the "Not hammering yet." post was actually more of a
reaction
than anything else because I
didn't
want to drop the hammer yet. I wasn't even sure if PJ was testing me either, though I suspected he might have been -- a post with just "Vote: Klebian" is not at all something I would expect to see from PJ if he were actually deciding to determine what could have been the last lynch of the game. My "unvote to think" was genuine -- I wanted to figure out what to do next -- and I used the opportunity to propose some lynch/kill scenarios because I wanted to see PJ's response. When he re-voted Klebian and stated that he wasn't going to change that for the next ten minutes, I figured he was telling the truth. I thought, "Well, he's throwing me a bone and seeing if I really am scum or not." I didn't hammer at first for the same afore-mentioned reason -- if Fritz could somehow stop a kill or kill one of us, we were screwed completely. After a few minutes of thinking, though, I realized that if that were the case and we lynched VitR that day, I was screwed anyway. I'd have to no-kill, get Kleb lynched, then no-kill and go after Dahen... but even if I got Dahen lynched, Fritz could have killed/stopped me.

Incidentally, the reason we killed Fritz on N8 was because we knew the others were claimed Soldiers and just didn't want to take any chances. Fritz being an Unkillable Gorilla didn't make sense to me, and I didn't see any other feasable role.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1195 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:39 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Victoire!

I was totally a Death Miller though. Boo to the town for quicklynching me.

<_<
>_>
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1196 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:39 am

And Thok should've been Glrok'ed way earlier.

bird1111
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1197 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:41 am

Post by bird1111 »

Town totally should have realized once MBL/me came up Gorilla, I mean, what scum would stupidly put his partner one from lynch TWICE due to a crash for stupid reasons? What I did would have been one horrible bussing attempt had it been that way.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #1198 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:42 am

Post by Glork »

EBWODP:
Glork wrote:Incidentally, the reason we killed Fritz on N8 was because we knew the others were claimed Soldiers and just didn't want to take any chances. Fritz being an Unkillable Gorilla didn't make sense to me, and I didn't see any other feasable role
that Fritz could have to prevent us from killing
him
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1199 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:43 am

I was trying to bus you, btb. Only during the later stages of Day 1 did I realize that you weren't scum with me.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”