[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6375 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Also playing around with something like the following:

Pill Pusher Mafia

Town (10x)

3-4x Town Drug Dealer
1x Town Pharmacist OR Town Junkie
5-6x Vanilla Town

Mafia (3x)

1x Mafia Drug Dealer
1x Mafia Junkie OR Mafia Pharmacist
1x Mafia Goon
Drug Dealer wrote:You are a Drug Dealer

Each night you may target another player with pills. These pills will keep them alive if anyone attempts to kill them during that night. However if a player takes more than two pills in a night, they will overdose and die.
Junkie wrote:You are a Junkie

Having been on pills for most of your life, their side effects don't do much for you. You may take up to three pills in a single night before you would die. Additionally you may target a player each night, if they are a Drug Dealer you will steal and take any pills they would have given out.
Pharmacist wrote:You are a Pharmacist

You may target a player each night and learn if they are or are not dealing drugs
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6376 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6374, Cabd wrote:Llama can we get feedback on Vi's setup proposal?
Will take a look at it sometime tonight (or tomorrow depending on life stuff)
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6377 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Post by Cabd »

Also it's perpetual MYLO not LYLO
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Belisarius
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6378 (ISO) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Post by Belisarius »

Been practicing setup design. I really like the idea of Mafia Poisoner, but I can't think of anything theme-friendly and it doesn't qualify as normal due to the no result that a tracker or watcher would get. I'm thinking it's workable as an Open as long as there's no flavour distinction between a poison kill and the regular NK, and it might make it less scum-sided than it would be as a fully closed game.

Tell me everything that's wrong with this (I'm expecting quite a lot):

Tentative title: Arsehole's Anodyne

13p version:
1x Mafia Rolecop
1x Mafia Poisoner
1x Mafia Goon

1x Town Even-Night Tracker
1x Town Odd-Night Watcher
1x Town Apothecary
1x Town 2-Shot Doctor
6x Vanilla Townie

9p version:
1x Mafia Poisoner
1x Mafia Goon

1 of {Town Watcher, Town Tracker} with either even or odd-night modifier, randomly determined
1 of {Town 2-Shot Doc, Vanilla Townie}
1x Town Apothecary
4x Vanilla Townie

-Poisoner targets a player, they passively die the next night (So a tracker/watcher would see them visit a player who lived if the check on the first night, but the poisoner would be idle the night their target actually dies)
-Neither Poisoner nor Apothecary can carry out their role 2 nights in a row
-Apothecary cures anyone poisoned on the same or previous night
-Scum PRs cannot Poison/Rolecop if they are carrying out the factional kill
-Doc can cure poison in the 9p version

The 9p version is probably not salvageable since scum can win with 2 mislynches even with an all-PR town, it's more of a thought experiment for me than anything else. It'd be great if someone could prove me wrong, though.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #6379 (ISO) » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:16 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

In post 6373, LlamaFluff wrote:Unless I hear otherwise then I will move this (which needs a name):
I'd probably name it Rows & Columns.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6380 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:44 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 6298, Vi wrote:Discussed the above mechanic with Cabd further.

*15 players, 11 Town and 4 scum.
*Night 0: The scum create a timeline of player deaths. They select two players to die per Day/Night cycle. The timeline must end in a viable LyLo (of any size).
*As long as the timeline is followed, the scum cannot deviate from it with their NK. They cannot No Kill as that defeats the purpose.
*If the timeline is broken (by lynch), then:
**If the lynchee was Town, the scum can create a new timeline.
**If the lynchee was scum, the hammering player (or the next player behind in the event of a self-hammer) creates a new timeline ending in a valid LyLo. If the person controlling the timeline is Town, their timeline can end with any number of players that would be in a valid LyLo if they were scum, though the players they put in their endgame do not have to constitute a valid LyLo (how would they know?). Only living players can be put in this timeline; dead players stay dead as they are.

*Prior to the Day start, the moderator chooses a number between 1 and {# players/2, rounded down}.
*At any time during the Day, up to {# players/2, rounded down} players may post inthread
Gate to the Future
. The _th player to do so ( _ being the number the moderator chose) will receive the LyLo created in this timeline privately. A player may only try to Gate once per Day.

*The game begins with a single lynch in the initial scum-created LyLo. All other players may watch but not post inthread. After the lynch, there is a flip and then the real Day 1 begins.

---

Balance concerns:
*All vanilla
*Scum getting the Gate = mass hilarity?
Addition to this: Each player may only use a gate once. If you've used the gate before, you cannot bid again on it.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #6381 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Post by Titus »

Ok, I'm really wanting to host here. I've got a unique idea for an open setup.

Mafia picks from 3 of the following

Loud Roleblocker (The target, even if VT, gets Feedback they were roleblocked)
Rolecop
Tailor
Godfather
Goon who enables daychat
Janitor

The town PRs assign roles in a circle. Player A assigns Player B's Role who assigns Player C's role who assigns Player A's role. They will not be notified of the player they were assigning the role of. They'll assign when the mafia picks roles, pregame. They are not allowed to claim or hint at who they assigned their role to or if they assigned a role at all.

1 Cop/Angry, Odd-Night Neighborizer (Picks a new neighbor during the day for each odd night and the old neighbor is no longer a neighbor)
1 Doctor/Bus Driver
1 Loud Roleblocker/2 shot Vigilante

6 Vanilla Townies
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Belisarius
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6382 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Post by Belisarius »

In post 6381, Titus wrote:Goon who enables daychat
This is called a Mafia Encryptor.

It sounds kind of PYP-ish. There'd have to be some kind of bidding system, since all but the first 3 would only have a choice of VT to assign.

I'm finding this confusing:
They will not be notified of the player they were assigning the role of. They'll assign when the mafia picks roles, pregame. They are not allowed to claim or hint at who they assigned their role to or if they assigned a role at all.
If they don't know who they're assigning roles to, how can they claim or hint who they assigned a role to?
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6383 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Post by N »

In post 6381, Titus wrote:They are not allowed to claim or hint at who they assigned their role to or if they assigned a role at all.
Having a rule like this is always a bad idea.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #6384 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:02 am

Post by Titus »

I slept on this and decided I would go with a majority rules assignment of each of the categories.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
phokdapolees
phokdapolees
Mafia Scum
phokdapolees
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6385 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:35 am

Post by phokdapolees »

Something like this has probably been talked about before, but it would be really interesting to have a 2 VT, 1 mafia goon setup. Automatic LYLO. Have any games like this been played before? Players couldn't really RVS vote, so that might hold up discussion.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6386 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:22 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

I was thinking of this mechanic. Everyone can choose their own PR, but taking a PR gives someone else a negative role modifier that counters the role you picked. Eg, cop paired with miller, macho with doctor, ninja with tracker.

The alternative was that every pr only works on vts.
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6387 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:32 pm

Post by JacobSavage »

I really like it, how about having:

Over-Concentred

13 players, 3 scum at the start of the game players must select from this list of roles, scum can talk at this time.
RoleNegative
CopMiller
DoctorMacho
TrackerNinja
JailkeeperAndy Dufresne
StrongmanCommuter
VanillaVanilla

For every PR chosen, the number of negative role modifers is equal to number of people that chose that role +/- 1.
These are distiputed amongst the players randomly?
"
I don't have an opinion, everything is great.
"

I have a GTKAS!
| Slightly V/LA at the moment
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6388 (ISO) » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

Problems I think with it are that with enough possible roles there's no reason to go vanilla, and a 10 pr town is pretty much gonna win unless they all get the exact same thing. Espeically if they massclaim negative utilities day 1.

The other is that the counter-role makes some roles useless - a cop doesn't really do much when you have 3 of them and every guilty is a 50/50 chance. And tracker in this is weird.

Possible solutions - make the negative modifiers hidden (Meh on this)
Have multiple negative roles per positive role, so 1 cop = 2 millers (bit overkill probably)
A vanilla remains full vanilla.
ArcAngel9
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6389 (ISO) » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 am

Post by ArcAngel9 »

Hello folks,

I am planning on hosting a micro open game.. every role has some major powers.. the alignments are not decided yet. But i want to know if i could make any of the two or three roles as mafia and rest as town. Or 2 mafia, 1 as other and 6 as town . Will that be balanced well?

If anyone would like to review that setup.. Please let me know... I will send you the QT link. thank you
I
n
a
t
i
m
e
o
f
a
n
c
i
e
n
t
g
o
d
s
w
a
r
l
o
r
d
s
a
n
d
k
i
n
g
s
a
l
a
n
d
i
n
t
u
r
m
o
i
l
c
r
i
e
d
o
u
t
f
o
r
a
h
e
r
o
S
h
e
w
a
s
X
e
n
a
a
m
i
g
h
t
y
p
r
i
n
c
e
s
s
f
o
r
g
e
d
i
n
t
h
e
h
e
a
t
o
f
b
a
t
t
l
e
T
h
e
p
o
w
e
r
t
h
e
p
a
s
s
i
o
n
t
h
e
d
a
n
g
e
r
H
e
r
c
o
u
r
a
g
e
w
i
l
l
c
h
a
n
g
e
t
h
e
w
o
r
l
d
-
Xena Warrior Princess, Coming Soon!!
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #6390 (ISO) » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:11 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

Listen up, person. This is a setup. It's based on the originally Belgian TV show
The Mole

Mole Mafia

16 Vanilla Townies
2 Moles

Mechanics

Every night and pre-game, the moles answer a list of questions (some of them are kind of personal), such as "How tall are you?" The townies have to answer these questions, rephrased to "How tall is the mole?", the night after. The last question is always "Who is the mole?"

Every townie gets assigned a penalty, based on how far their guesses are from the answers of the moles. If both moles are alive, the penalty is calculated for both of them. The best one is the final penalty. Correctly answering one half of the questions for one mole and the other half for the other mole results in a higher penalty than giving a correct answer to 60% of the questions for one mole and 0% for another.

The townie with the highest final penalty dies. This death is indistinguishable from the mole's nightkill. Even the dead people don't know how they've been killed until after the game. But here's the kicker: unlike the nightkilled townie, the worst guesser immediately loses. The moles can double kill once. The townie with the highest penalty doesn't die that night, so the kill pattern is the same as every other night to the townies. This should make it harder for the townies to draw information from the nightkills.

If the moles win, all townies lose equally. If town wins, all townies win except for the ones that died as a result of having the highest penalty.

That's it, person. Now give me those opinions. Please.
Last edited by Bicephalous Bob on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #6391 (ISO) » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:16 am

Post by mastin2 »

Not sure on the exact composition of roles and of size (I was thinking something like 16 or so), but basically, I thought of a game mechanic that I want to turn into an open setup.
Essentially, there's a serial killer.
The town has a lynch, the scum a nightkill.
But the town has a second lynch, and the scum a second nightkill--yet the serial killer gets to control if it goes through or not. Basically, the first town lynch is done normally. The second town lynch is also done normally, but before the flip, there's a twilight phase where the serial killer gets to choose whether that lynch goes through or not. (The serial killer does not have the capability to change the result--at least, not in the setup I have in mind. I can see it maybe being done as a one-shot power, but that's not what I had thought of.)

Same for the scum's nightkill. Their first nightkill selection will go through as normal. They select a second nightkill target, and there's a dawn phase where the serial killer gets to choose if the second nightkill goes through or not. (The serial killer does not get to choose the kill. Again, at least not in the setup I have in mind; I can see it maybe being done as a one-shot power, similar to the lynch.)

If the serial killer dies*, then both the second lynch and nightkill are lost, and the game mechanics become normal again.

I don't have the details ironed out (player size, what power roles to have, the name of the setup** :P), but I was wondering if it seems like a good idea for an open game setup.

*If all the mafia die, then the serial killer gets to select a nightkill, becoming a normal serial killer, but the second lynch remains.
If the serial killer is the only surviving scum in 4p mylo and the town mislynches on the first half of a day, the serial killer also wins because they can veto the second lynch and nightkill a player to bring it to 1:1.

** I was thinking of a name along the lines of "The Mediator", but that doesn't seem to be perfect.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6392 (ISO) » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:33 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 6390, Bicephalous Bob wrote:Listen up, person. This is a setup. It's based on the originally Belgian TV show
The Mole

Mole Mafia

16 Vanilla Townies
2 Moles

Mechanics

Every night and pre-game, the moles answer a list of questions (some of them are kind of personal), such as "How long are you?" The townies have to answer these questions, rephrased to "How long is the mole?", the night after. The last question is always "Who is the mole?"

Every townie gets assigned a penalty, based on how far their guesses are from the answers of the moles. If both moles are alive, the penalty is calculated for both of them. The best one is the final penalty. Correctly answering one half of the questions for one mole and the other half for the other mole results in a higher penalty than giving a correct answer to 60% of the questions for one mole and 0% for another.

The townie with the highest final penalty dies. This death is indistinguishable from the mole's nightkill. Even the dead people don't know how they've been killed until after the game. But here's the kicker: unlike the nightkilled townie, the worst guesser immediately loses. The moles can double kill once. The townie with the highest penalty doesn't die that night, so the kill pattern is the same as every other night to the townies. This should make it harder for the townies to draw information from the nightkills.

If the moles win, all townies lose equally. If town wins, all townies win except for the ones that died as a result of having the highest penalty.

That's it, person. Now give me those opinions. Please.
Belongs in mishmash not really a true mafia game.
Show

Leafsnail
Leafsnail
Goon
Leafsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6393 (ISO) » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:19 am

Post by Leafsnail »

I'm intending to run an offsite Jungle Republic game, and I had a couple of ideas for rule changes/ clarifications. If anyone could give me their thoughts on them that would be great.

1. Win Conditions
The current Jungle Republic win conditions are a bit complicated, and also leave a case that I think is bad. Here is another version of the win cons that result in the same endgame rules except in that one case.

Town: You win if all threats are eliminated and at least one town player is alive. If you are the only surviving town player and there are still threats alive you will commit suicide. e: The suicide should probably only trigger in the morning to avoid changing some of the endgames too much.

Mafia: You win if at least half of the living players are mafia.

Wolf: You win if at least half of the living players are wolves, unless there are an equal number of wolves and mafia members alive.

The one situation that's changed by this is 2 mafia, 2 wolves, 1 townie. Previously the game would keep going and the townie could act as kingmaker (or the werewolves could shoot for a mafia member). Under these rules, it's a mafia victory, which seems more consistent with the wolf/mafia/townie endgame. This is a slight boost for the mafia, but I don't think it's too significant.

2. Lynching
Should lynching be compulsive even while there are still wolves alive? My instinct is yes, but I'm not sure if there are any absolute deadlock situations I've overlooked. If not, how does one resolve a stalemate?
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6394 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:34 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

Please give this input :)

Vicious Mafia

Beware the dangers of love...

At the beginning of the game, the moderator randoms one of the following setups:

Vanilla Town x7
Vengeful Townie (he receives a VT role PM, does not know he's vengeful until he's killed)
Cupid (must create a lover pair on Night 0. Lovers may talk starting night 1)
Limited 2-shot Cop (can only use power on Days 2 and 4)
Mafia Goon x3

OR

Vanilla Town x7
Vengeful Townie (he receives a VT role PM, does not know he's vengeful until he's killed)
JOAT 1-shot vig, 1-shot cop, 1-shot cupid (must create a lover pair on Night 0. Lovers may begin night talk on N1)
1-shot bulletproof Bodyguard (bulletproof does not protect him if his lover dies)
Mafia Goon x2
Mafia Watcher x1

OR

Vanilla Town x7
1-shot bulletproof Bodyguard (bulletproof does not protect him if his lover dies)
Limited 2-shot Cop (can only use power on Days 2 and 4)
Mafia Goon x2
Mafia Cupid x1 (must create a lover pair on Night 0. Lovers may begin night talk on N1)
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6395 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 am

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

If the 2X cop outs, that is an auto-lynch of the mafia cupid.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6396 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:47 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

Mafia cupid needs to fakeclaim. Nobody knows that he's the cupid except scum, not even the lovers.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #6397 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:52 am

Post by Guyett »

2nd setup is very swingy
I think a lot about meteors. The purity of them. Boom! The end. Start again. The world made clean for the new man to rebuild.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #6398 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

Trouble Communicating

1 Mafia Gunbearer
1 Mafia Weak Compulsive Double The Dose Doctor Backup Gunbearer
1 Mafia Weak Compulsive Double The Dose Doctor Backup Backup Gunbearer

7 Vanilla Townies

The Mafia know their partners, but they have no way of communicating outside the main thread. The Gunbearer submits the nightkill. Every night, the Weak Compulsive Double The Dose Doctor (dibs on the band name) can choose between committing suicide and protecting two townies. If two doctors target the same townie, the target isn't protected. If the Gunbearer dies, the Backup becomes the new Gunbearer and loses his ability to protect.

The Mafia role PM will contain a link to the wiki article on Breadcrumbs.

Thoughts?
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6399 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Post by quadz08 »

I've no idea how balance works out, but the concept is exceedingly cool.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”