The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #15000 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:50 am

Post by Klazam »

post 15000!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15001 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:24 am

Post by Rhinox »

awwww klaz I wanted post 15000 :(
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #15002 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:50 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 14997, izakthegoomba wrote:The urge to cry "I told you so"...

Seriously, guys...

*headdesk*
?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15003 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

In post 15002, Maestro wrote:
In post 14997, izakthegoomba wrote:The urge to cry "I told you so"...

Seriously, guys...

*headdesk*
?
I told y'all not to start a serious new world until we got the next big biome update out of the way.

Anyways, end portal up. Saturday GMTevening/ESTafternoon for the dragon fight, anyone? I'd like to try and kill the dragon reasonably near the End's spawn point, so when I get round to building an ender-ender later it's not too much of a pain to set up the rail lines.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15004 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:45 am

Post by Maestro »

lolizak, people will be unhappy if a world stays alive but has issues and/or suffers from inactivity, people will be unhappy if we don't have bleeding edge updates. People will certainly get upset if we have no Vanilla server at all, which, if you'll remember, was the situation we faced. The temporary loss of the server files till Maru/Corin found Corin's backup was a considerable amount of time when a bunch of us did (at least for awhile) want to play Vanilla MC with eachother.

What would you have recommended given those circumstances?

I'd seriously like to think we should honor Rhinox's "you haven't been playing so you don't get a vote" but honestly many people only play Vanilla for "the next big thing", they make their way through what they want to do, and get bored quickly. Same with modded, tbqh, it's just Modded has more bells and whistles. There's no one way to play, there's no one way that's best for everybody. There's compromise or there's stagnation and I thought we'd chosen to adopt the former rather than the latter.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15005 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:43 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

In post 15004, Maestro wrote:lolizak, people will be unhappy if a world stays alive but has issues and/or suffers from inactivity, people will be unhappy if we don't have bleeding edge updates. People will certainly get upset if we have no Vanilla server at all, which, if you'll remember, was the situation we faced. The temporary loss of the server files till Maru/Corin found Corin's backup was a considerable amount of time when a bunch of us did (at least for awhile) want to play Vanilla MC with eachother.
What would you have recommended given those circumstances?[/quote]
Sure, it was a difficult situation and I don't actually think there was a better solution available. But it still sucks that we're looking at another world reset after I explicitly warned you all that there was a big worldgen update coming. I don't mind
too
much because I've only been playing a couple of days (though I have played a LOT in that time), but there's some pretty impressive stuff that it would be a real shame to lose.
In post 15004, Maestro wrote:I'd seriously like to think we should honor Rhinox's "you haven't been playing so you don't get a vote" but honestly many people only play Vanilla for "the next big thing", they make their way through what they want to do, and get bored quickly. Same with modded, tbqh, it's just Modded has more bells and whistles. There's no one way to play, there's no one way that's best for everybody. There's compromise or there's stagnation and I thought we'd chosen to adopt the former rather than the latter.
I just want to point out that I disagree with the premise here. The builds I've seen on the vanilla server, even just around spawn, ought to discredit the notion that people only play for "the next big thing".
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15006 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 am

Post by Rhinox »

Well I didn't mean to sounds as angry as I did last night I was just dealing with some IRL shit that I was already pissed about, so sorry about that.

I'm not even strictly against a restart I just don't think people who haven't invested any time into the server should be the ones deciding to erase all the effort others have put into the server.

M's right, people play for a bit from time to time to see whats new and then get quickly bored - but they're not the ones who justify keeping a server running IMO. When those people get bored a quit those fewer who do play regularly are likely still going to be there, and they're likely the same group playing regularly now.

I think it makes more sense to wait and actually see the new biomes and maybe walk around in SSP a bit to decide if they're even all that spectacular before even discussing the R word. The only thing this discussion is going to accomplish is killing whatever regular activity still exists on the server now, because no one is going to bother wasting any effort on stuff that is just going to be deleted. Might as well just switch us all over to creative mode and let us go to town for a few weeks if a restart is really going to happen again.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15007 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

To be totally honest, I miss the old way of running the vanilla server, back when it was Claus (and later me and Xalxe) running the show. There were at least two major worldgen updates during that period, and numerous other changes, and nobody even
mentioned
a restart.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15008 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:24 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

To elaborate on that, it would be nice if we could have a chance to pre-generate, either using supervised creative mode or some other tool, an area around anywhere that we want to live long-term, so that we don't have to run into chunk borders unless we go exploring. But I don't think this warrants a restart.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15009 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Two "cat" and four "13" records in a chest at x-416 y35 z-1725, if anyone wants them. I didn't have room for them.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15010 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:36 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Hey guys. Guess what?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15011 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 15007, izakthegoomba wrote:To be totally honest, I miss the old way of running the vanilla server, back when it was Claus (and later me and Xalxe) running the show. There were at least two major worldgen updates during that period, and numerous other changes, and nobody even
mentioned
a restart.
Agreed!
In post 15008, izakthegoomba wrote:To elaborate on that, it would be nice if we could have a chance to pre-generate, either using supervised creative mode or some other tool, an area around anywhere that we want to live long-term, so that we don't have to run into chunk borders unless we go exploring. But I don't think this warrants a restart.
Not sure I follow. Do you mean like limiting the world? Build a big bedrock wall from +5000 to -5000 in each direction to prevent exploring outside that area and then expand the world when an update happens?
In post 15010, izakthegoomba wrote:Hey guys. Guess what?
WHAT?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15012 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:23 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

In post 15011, Rhinox wrote:
In post 15008, izakthegoomba wrote:To elaborate on that, it would be nice if we could have a chance to pre-generate, either using supervised creative mode or some other tool, an area around anywhere that we want to live long-term, so that we don't have to run into chunk borders unless we go exploring. But I don't think this warrants a restart.
Not sure I follow. Do you mean like limiting the world? Build a big bedrock wall from +5000 to -5000 in each direction to prevent exploring outside that area and then expand the world when an update happens?
No, I just mean give us a chance to generate some land around the areas that we plan to inhabit long-term. So that after the update, we at least don't see version borders until we go a bit of a way out.
In post 15011, Rhinox wrote:
In post 15010, izakthegoomba wrote:Hey guys. Guess what?
WHAT?
NATURAL SPAWNED GOLD APPLE IN A DUNGEON CHEST, BITTTTCCCCHHHESSSSSSSSSSS!

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15013 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:52 am

Post by Maestro »

THE ENCHANTED KIND?!? WTF IZAK ( P.S. Is that yellow/white disc in your inventory mellohi? I may be interested in buying...and I would really love a name tag if possible. <3 )

I like the idea of updating and not restarting I guess, I was just reiterating some of the points that were brought up relatively recently.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #15014 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:52 am

Post by Xalxe »

In post 15012, izakthegoomba wrote:NATURAL SPAWNED GOLD APPLE IN A DUNGEON CHEST, BITTTTCCCCHHHESSSSSSSSSSS!
what
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15015 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:22 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

In post 15013, Maestro wrote:THE ENCHANTED KIND?!? WTF IZAK ( P.S. Is that yellow/white disc in your inventory mellohi? I may be interested in buying...and I would really love a name tag if possible. <3 )
Nah, just a regular one. :P Though they should really change it to make enchanted ones generate, considering how rare they are.

Mellohi is purple. I've been dungeon/mineshaft raiding, so all the disks I have are Cat and 13.

As for name tags - I got 9 out of one dungeon chest (a surface dungeon in a desert, too!) and I now have 14 total, so I'm sure I can spare one. :D
In post 15014, Xalxe wrote:
In post 15012, izakthegoomba wrote:NATURAL SPAWNED GOLD APPLE IN A DUNGEON CHEST, BITTTTCCCCHHHESSSSSSSSSSS!
what
Well it's worthless, but still, ~RAREST NATURALLY GENERATING THING IN THE WHOLE GAME WOOT~
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15016 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 am

Post by chesskid3 »

In post 15015, izakthegoomba wrote:I got 9 out of one dungeon chest
hax0r
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #15017 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Post by chkflip »

So... uh... the vanilla server took a shit on itself? I can't see any of the blocks now...

nvm it's something on my end.
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15018 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

SUGGESTION:
Keep same map, but when 1.7 updates, we all have a max exodus to like, 10,000, 10,000 and start anew. Then someone can do something with command blocks so we can visit old-spawntown.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15019 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Post by Maestro »

Meh, I could set it up, but I'll leave it up to people whether to decide to move to where it puts you or not - people are already KINDA spread out so I don't personally have an issue with that idea, but I think we've settled on keeping the same map, yeah. I dunno, I kinda like the fugly biome borders - nostalgia +10. Soon enough we'll long for the days when we'd come across a Desert lining a Jungle.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15020 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Post by fuzzybutternut »

max exodus...
I need sleep.
Mass exodus**
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #15021 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Post by Klazam »

The above idea is good also. Actually, now that i think about it, i much rather to implement the above idea instead of a restart.

I'd move to NewWorld, but i'd also visit my ol desert mansion. (Rather proud of that thing)
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15022 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

And remember, I'm working on a transit system, so we would have easy access to old spawntown.

As for End raiding, I'll have an awful lot of work to do to get prepared for a Sat. run.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Axxle
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #15023 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Post by Axxle »

In post 14999, fuzzybutternut wrote:little known fact: Minecraft doesn't have an official speedrun world record.

At least: I couldn't find one.
I'm actually surprised at this.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15024 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

In post 15018, fuzzybutternut wrote:SUGGESTION:
Keep same map, but when 1.7 updates, we all have a max exodus to like, 10,000, 10,000 and start anew. Then someone can do something with command blocks so we can visit old-spawntown.
I am very strongly against this idea. If people want to run away to live in the new biomes, that's absolutely fine. But it shouldn't be an official change, there shouldn't be a command block teleporter, and we
definately
shouldn't think of what's already been built as "old-spawntown".
In post 15022, Bulbazak wrote:As for End raiding, I'll have an awful lot of work to do to get prepared for a Sat. run.
Meh. People massively overestimate what you need for a dragon run, especially if you're doing it with a group. Really, low-level enchants on iron gear, a power I bow with a decent stock of arrows, a water bucket in case you attract endermen, food, and blocks should be enough.

Return to “The Arcade”