cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #14 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 am

Post by cuban smoker »

I doubt Jack has a posting restriction; probably just trying to get a reaction.

Claiming post restrictions, or any part of your role for that matter, is not a very good first day strategy. Instead, we should pick on the quiet ones since they're always the hardest to figure. I waggle my
FOS
at all the players who haven't posted in the first few hours of this game.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #39 (isolation #1) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:12 am

Post by cuban smoker »

I think I signed up for the wrong minigame. My anime knowledge is limited to a couple love hina shows an old roommate made me watch and that awesome trippy movie Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi. Oh yes, and who I am, but the name means nothing to me.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #43 (isolation #2) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:52 am

Post by cuban smoker »

If only I knew whether my character was evil or not, I could help everyone out. For now I wallow in my ignorance. The mod told me my alignment, but I never trust them anyway.

vote: ubertimmy
for not posting yet
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #69 (isolation #3) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:07 am

Post by cuban smoker »

BIG FOS: Skruffs
for vote hoping to spectrumvoid who made a good point. I should also note that players who post a lot are valuable (either as townie or mafia) and thus voting for/lynching spectrumvoid is destructive. I would switch my vote to scruffs if I didn't have it squarely pointed at my favourite target.

Jack is attracting too much attention to himself. Posting restriction or not, probability of him being scum is small.

I agree fishing is suspicious: almost all early claims hurt the town. However, the way cubs asked makes me think it was an innocent, perhaps frustrated, question.

My vote stays on the absent one.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #75 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:03 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

*whistle* Two minutes for embellishment!

How did "players who post a lot are valuable" become "most important player" and "don't ever vote experience players"?

How did "voting for/lynching spectrumvoid is destructive" become "some people should be immune from votes"?

I've been down this path many times. There is little to nothing to work with on day 1. People who talk a lot can be analyzed later. People who don't talk much are harder to figure. So... day 1 should be about posting thoughts, provoking reactions and getting quiet people to talk through old fashioned bandwagoning!

In my experience, this type of panicked reaction on behalf of Skruffs is extra-scummy. I am not accusing yet, but you get a place of honour at the top of my mafiawishlist

Cubs: I know you didn't ask Jack to claim, but you did ask for information about his role. I'd rather Jack not answer your question. Not that what I say matters much in this case. Either way, you draw suspicion on yourself by asking such a question, but I give you the benefit of the doubt.

Vote stays on ubertimmy
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #84 (isolation #5) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:36 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Skruffs, you have this amusing way of making things more exciting than they are. I'll admit I shouldn't have used the word destructive. You can vote for whoever you want and interesting things may happen. I'm just grumpy because no one else is helping me put pressure on ubertimmy.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #98 (isolation #6) » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:48 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Why, did you see an unquestioned bandwagon go by?! Did I miss it?!

Man I need my fix..

Simeon, by the way I read the thread, a little while ago spectrumvoid made a good simple argument. Shortly afterwards, Skruffs coined "good point" and promptly voted for him without fruther explanation. Ignoring the direction that took us... my argument is simple: players who post a lot help the game regardless of their affiliation by making it more fun as well as providing the town with more information. Lurking and unhelpful posts do not help the town.

Using game theory, you can argue the only people who benefit from lurking are people working against the town, that is the mafia.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #108 (isolation #7) » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:10 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

I suggest we all join me by voting for ubertimmy in celebration of how useful his posts have been in advancing the town goals.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #120 (isolation #8) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:09 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Let's get this party started:

unvote: Ubertimmy
vote: Cubsfan4ever

Cubsfan has contributed nothing to this game but more questions.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #131 (isolation #9) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:34 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Now that the more heated arguments have settled down I'm trying to get some more action started. I didn't just pick the most likely target to get a bandwagon going on, I thought I was on to something. In fact, almost all of cubsfan's posts up to his last one were in fact questions. You could argue this is just a townie in the dark trying to gain more information, but I believe it's more sinister.

I think this is classic scum behaviour in the following sense: people with nothing to hide are often forthcoming about facts, discussion, speculation, etc.; while people with something to hide distance themselves from these things by asking questions instead.

No one joined my attempt to oust ubertimmy the lurker, so I've picked a target that should be appealing to everyone.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #132 (isolation #10) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:34 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Oops. I was getting SQL errors, but apparently my posts still went through. Mod can you delete 2 of the above 3 posts AND this one?! Thanks
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #142 (isolation #11) » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Doesn't mean he's scum. In fact, he's done a fine job of attracting all sorts of attention to himself, which most scum try to avoid.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #153 (isolation #12) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:55 am

Post by cuban smoker »

IH your vote count is borked.

I love cheese and I hate to whine, but no one has even reacted to my last accusatory post of cubsfan. We got lurkers, we got suspicious posts left, right and centre, and everyone is unvoting!

C'mon town, get the vote out! This day 1 has dragged on long enough. We need someone closer to a lynch so we can smell their sweat. The nose knows how to catch mafia.

Look at my desperate turns of phrase! It's a cry for help!

Mod-Fixed and unborked.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #172 (isolation #13) » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:43 am

Post by cuban smoker »

What on earth is a mumu?

Speed lynch?! I almost spilt my coffee. I have seen attempts at speed-lynches, and this is not one of them. I think we've established a behavioural base line for most people (except the lurkers). It's time to put some pressure on somebody and watch them squirm. I mean.. that's why I play mafia! If I wanted to have a philosphical debate about good vs. evil I'd enrol in a psychology course. Or visit 'Mafia Discussion' on a good day.

Now, at the risk of appearing to protect someone, I don't think Skruffs is our best first day target. I like to leave suspicious but active players around for a day or two, let the cops check 'em out, let the mafia off the innocent ones. We really should be focusing on people who don't contribute much, people trying to fly under the radar, etc.

unvote: cubsfan
although he is also on my mafiawishlist.
vote: Hemisphere Dancer
, mostly for a low post count this game. I also want to note, as much of a stretch as this is, that her response to Skruffs questions was not 'no'.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #214 (isolation #14) » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:16 am

Post by cuban smoker »

spectrumvoid, you misinterpert the purpose of the strategy. I will bodly venture that it is hard to pick out mafia on the first day. This being said, while everyone has their suspicions, no one (save for the scum) have anything solid to go on. The word scummy has been used 'today' to describe pretty much every type of behaviour we've seen. I would rather lynch a quiet (and thus scummy to me) person over a active and scummy person.

We are not trying to catch all the mafia right now. We are trying to catch them within a few days.

I'm starting to tire of Jack's antics. Skruffs has made a reasonable point concerning said antics. Thus:
unvote, vote: Jack
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #229 (isolation #15) » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

This is a bandwagon I can get into. Too bad Abbott hopped off so quick, It'll look suspicious when cubsfan turns out to be scum. See previous posts.

unvote: Jack
vote: Cubsfan4ever
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #245 (isolation #16) » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:54 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

I had no knowledge of this little meta-game problem with cubsfan. I noticed his first few posts were only questions, which is scummy to me as it allows him to talk without revealing anything anout himself.

Skruffs, your 'analysis' is goofy. The human brain has this funny way of noticing patterns everywhere. You're just looking at a random network of relationships and picking out a shape you like. You can find anything you like if you look hard enough. A much larger sample of posting & voting behaviours is required before you can infer a relationship.

I'm into studying who people vote for, but without knowing some constants (like dead people alignments) you have no basis to work with. It's more likely we're just two good townies who can recognize two other good townies.

I'll lynch cubsfan, Jack or ubertimmy today.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #256 (isolation #17) » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

They used to call me CS. And I found an avatar that looks a lot like my old avatar.

Skruffs, you can theorize all you want, it's the conclusions you draw that one must always be careful about. I know you didn't say: "They're both Mafia!", but you were clearly planting the idea with your study of our voting & fosing history. I think it would be foolish to lynch based on your little study.

What I want to stress is I could identify a similar 'relationship' between many sets of two players in this game. However, I know it's futile at this point, so I am not going to bother. The strategy is not useless in general, just right now.

I really like lynching quiet people on day 1, because they will always be tough to read in the future. I also like lynching obnoxious people, because then there are less obnoxious people in the game.

I'm going to add AndrewS to my list of lynchables since he is not contributing much.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #259 (isolation #18) » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:13 am

Post by cuban smoker »

As the deadline looms, I think everyone should consider posting a list of people they are comfortable lynching. I've got 4 as I recall: Jack, ubertimmy, Andrew S & cubsfan.

These lists are obviously not binding, but it should help us pick one.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #303 (isolation #19) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:35 am

Post by cuban smoker »

unvote: cubsfan,
vote: Andrew S

I believe Andrew voted for Mert to create a rival bandwagon that had some momentum, note thrawn voted for Mert just a few posts earlier. I also believe scum are more likely to use diverting tactics, while townies are more likely to defend themselves.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #305 (isolation #20) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:42 am

Post by cuban smoker »

We can lynch cubsfan tomorrow if AndrewS is mafia, I don't care. I've been voting for cubsfan for a good chunk of today, but it seemed I couldn't garner enough interest. Deadline looms, Andrew is on my list.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #316 (isolation #21) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

unvote: AndrewS

Sometimes cryptic is good. Now that cubsfan may not be here for a while I have mixed feelings about lynching him today. But we have to pick somebody from our list. Maybe we should lynch Hemisphere Dancer for continuing to lurk at this late hour.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #323 (isolation #22) » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:34 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Has been lurking all game, including in this most desperate time. AndrewS and HD could be masons, cubs is out of town. I could also lynch Jack.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #341 (isolation #23) » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:52 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

unvote

I'm not sure I approve of this lynch considering what HD contributed, but it's probably too late now.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #373 (isolation #24) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:24 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

I think we should be able to learn a lot just from reading over day 1. For starters, I believe AbboTT was the first person to vote for AndrewS (doctor) yesterday, while Yamahako has not voted for AbboTT/Simenon. This makes me suspicious of both of them.

But I am more interested in ubertimmy, who stressed that he was a very bad lynch shortly before the deadline. We have now lost two power roles, which means the probability he actually is power role is much smaller now. Since ubertimmy is also alive, he is much more likely to be mafia than anyone else.

It is possible that a killer and Jack the replacer targetted ubertimmy, but this is not that likely.

I'd also strongly suggest we do a forced NAME-claim. You may have noted each of the dead townies has the name not of a anime character, but of a Manga. I don't think it can hurt the town to reveal our names. For instance, AndrewS was named Bleach, but Bleach is not about a doctor as far as I can tell.

It is important, if we do this name-claim, that we do it in an arbitrary order. Perhaps the mafia's Manga's are evil-themed, in which case they will have to pick another one. We should try and force mafia to go first so we have the chance to catch them with a counter-claim.

Kudos/Complaints encouraged re: name-claiming
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #390 (isolation #25) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Foolish mortals! Mert: you show no intuition and only seek to deconstruct arguments.

You must empathize with the player, Skruffs got it:
We have three power roles outed already - and ubertimmy better have a reason for being a very very bad lynch.
If ubertimmy were actually a townie, he shouldn't have used the defense he did. Thus he is less likely to be townie, and more likely to be mafia.
Mert wrote:cuban smoker wrote:
It is important, if we do this name-claim, that we do it in an arbitrary order.

cuban smoker wrote:
We should try and force mafia to go first so we have the chance to catch them with a counter-claim.

There seems to be a large conflict between these two quotes. If we're to reach a general consensus on who is most scummy and force them to claim first, this is no longer arbitrary.
If we had a consensus on who was most scummy we could start lynching. If the list is arbitrary, mafia may randomly end up having to go first, which is better than having innocent people jumping forward. I know there is also the possibility of mafia fast claiming to appear innocent, which is why the arbitrary list is the most reliable way at getting mafia at the top of the list.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #416 (isolation #26) » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:45 am

Post by cuban smoker »

I also remember not being happy with Mert. Didn't like one of my posts where I was trying to help the town and voted me for it.

I'm sad the board crashed again.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #423 (isolation #27) » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:10 am

Post by cuban smoker »

My case against Mert: I was trying to explain why I thought a name-claim would be a good idea, and suggested we try and use a random list to make people go in an arbitrary order. Mert didn't like it or understand it and voted me for it. I think ubertimmy jumped on shortly after.

I find above behaviour scummy.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #448 (isolation #28) » Tue May 01, 2007 6:04 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Mert: my 'suspicious post' and you response are both still here, on page 15-16 I believe.

for chronic lurking, voting for me without thinking for himself & for claiming that he was a really bad lynch yesterday. I stand by my claim that only mafia & power roles would say this, and since we are missing... 3 power roles and 0 mafia, that ubertimmy is my suspect ichiban!
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #458 (isolation #29) » Wed May 02, 2007 1:04 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

I also don't trust Yamahako, and thought about voting for him for a while. I have this theory that (except in extreme cases) mafia don't attack other mafia in thread, and my superficial impression is that Yamahako is choosing his battles carefully. A full reread may be in order soon.

If timmy offers a reasonable explanation I may yet switch my vote.

I want to draw attention to Mert's comment against role-claiming of
partly because it could be used by scum as a way of attacking somebody unjustly due to some arbitrary reason such as "your anime isn't broadcast on TV Tokyo and all ours are - die scum".
I have reason to believe, based solely on this comment, that's Mert's anime flavour name may not be in the same theme as the townies. I want Mert to nameclaim (not roleclaim.. nameclaim), and if he won't, I want the town to force him to. I will nameclaim as well if the town wants me to, I have nothing to hide.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #460 (isolation #30) » Wed May 02, 2007 1:27 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Yes, how blatantly obvious of me. What I aim to achieve in general is to take ALL the rolenames and point out arbitrary differences between them and present that as evidence. Of course scum could use this to push for a false lynch, but you are ignoring that ability of the town to use this for a real lynch should we actually find something of substance.

You have been against the idea of nameclaiming from the moment I suggested it, yet I know looking at my name that the town won't lynch me for it, as it falls in nicely with the theme of the dead townies. What do you have to fear?!

My list of suspicious people:

AbboTT
Yamahako
Mert
spectrumvoid
ubertimmy
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #469 (isolation #31) » Thu May 03, 2007 10:13 am

Post by cuban smoker »

We may want to leave these decisions up to the moderator.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #511 (isolation #32) » Fri May 11, 2007 12:54 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

I reread a fair amount of this thread.

I think cubsfan is clean, Skruffs is too helpful to be mafia and Yamahako too friendly to be town.

I wish we could resolve our issue with ubertimmy.

Thrawn's voting is jumpier than a jack rabbit in heat.

vote: Yamahako

I also think Mert and AbboTT are scum.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #533 (isolation #33) » Wed May 16, 2007 4:57 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Gee Skruffs, if only Yamahako had voted for himself your theory might hold..

I was not impressed with the spin doctoring of my post on the previous page. I didn't say too townie, and regardless my claim is NOT a fallacy. This game is NOT about opinions: everyone has opinions and they are rarely affected by your alignment. This game is behavioural.

I think Yamahako is onto something: we will probably find the mafia in the abstension section of the vote counts for both days.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #551 (isolation #34) » Mon May 21, 2007 8:58 am

Post by cuban smoker »

unvote; vote: cubsfan

This needs no justification. If he's on my team I don't want him anymore.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”