Worst role ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #30 (isolation #0) » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:14 pm

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Some of my favourite "bad" roles.... let me dredge up the role PMs:
You are Baron Munchausen, Townie Pathological Liar. You are a simple nobleman, with no particular talent - you have no night abilities.

But you could do all sorts of amazing deeds, if only the cards you had been dealt were slightly different. If only... if only you were someone else, someone like Spartacus, then you could do anything!

You may, at any point, roleclaim Spartacus and any combination of the following roles: cop, doctor, inventor, and recruiting mason. If you do, you gain those abilities from that point forth.

If you claim cop, you may investigate one person each night, and you will receive either an innocent or a guilty result.

If you claim doctor, you may protect one person each night other than yourself, and this will prevent a nightkill against that player (if the player is targetted by more than one nightkill, you only prevent one of them)

If you claim inventor, you may invent one device each night and give it to a player of your choosing other than yourself. You can stipulate what the device is and what it does. However if I deem the device to be too powerful I will modify it so as to be a reasonable power level.

If you claim recruiting mason, you may target one player each night, and from that point onwards you and your recruits will be able to talk at night. The player will be informed of joining your masonry in the morning, and will be allowed to talk with you from the following night.

You will only gain the abilities you claim in the post where you first claim Spartacus. If you claim multiple abilities, you may use each of them evey night. If you claim further abilities in a later post, this does nothing.

HOWEVER - if you suggest or confirm that the process of claiming Spartacus grants abilities, regardless of whether you have claimed Spartacus or not, you will be modkilled. If you later claim anything other than Spartacus, or suggest or confirm that you are not actually Spartacus, then you will be modkilled. I will be harsh on this, you have been warned. If you are not sure what you can or cannot say, then
ask me via PM. Please note that I do not consider this cheating, and it may be used legitimately as a deliberate tactic if you wish.

You win when all non-town players are dead and at least one town player is still alive.
You are Wolverine, Townie Invincible Vigilante. Your mutant healing power means that you can regenerate through any nightkill or lynch attempt faster than they can kill you, and your razor-sharp Adamantium claws can slice through pretty much anyone you need out of your way. Plus, you're cooler than Spiderman.

Except, of course, that you're having a bad week. You went jogging on Tuesday and got caught in the rain. Now, not only have you contracted some mutant 'flu - which has your healing factor working overtime (you're OK to be out of bed, but you don't have the constitution to survive more of a battering - you're not quite as invincible as you used to be), but your claws got wet and have rusted shut (meaning you can't really slice anyone to bits right at the moment). So, it's probably more accurate to say you're just plain Wolverine, Townie.

But you're still cooler than Spiderman.

You win when all non-town players are dead and at least one town player is still alive.
You are the White Rabbit, Neutral. You're late. Very late. You're not going to make the game until, oh, at least the beginning of day 3 (until this point, you will not show up as being a player). As for what you want to achieve - well, really, you just don't want your head chopped off. You win if you are still alive at the end of the game (this does not interfere with other win conditions, who see you as sharing their alignment as far as victory condtions are concerned).
But those are mild compared to the ultimate worst role ever:
Estel

You are Estel. It's only a matter of time before you implode spectacularly in a shower of attention-whoring hilarity. You don't take sides, and you can't win.
I modkilled that player about three RL days into day 1.

That's on a par with a role my brother designed which was vanilla townie except they died when anyone quoted them.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #38 (isolation #1) » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Post by Rainbow Brite »

random
town-aligned overeager vig? that's brutal. correct way to play that one is to get lynched day 1.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #74 (isolation #2) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:47 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

dammit, can we please stop the "post restriction" roles which still allow morse? all they do is frustrate. if it's meant to prevent communication, ban code. if it's just meant to frustrate, then you're a bastard.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #116 (isolation #3) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:23 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

What happens if he does claim cop - does he become a sane cop? Insane cop? Vigilante?
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #134 (isolation #4) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:08 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Man with no hat

You have no hat. You win when everyone who has a hat is dead.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #136 (isolation #5) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:21 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Glork wrote:
Rainbow Brite wrote:
Man with no hat

You have no hat. You win when everyone who has a hat is dead.
I don't know why, but this made me literally fall over laughing. :lol:
srsly, there's
massive
design space potential in that role.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #140 (isolation #6) » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:45 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

i was thinking more along the lines of a role that's either mafia traitor or townie, but doesn't know which at the start of the game...

...either that, or it's the
only
role that cares about hats.

anything else just undermines the uninformed majority conept too far.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #153 (isolation #7) » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:39 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

you are
cheese

i'm not telling you your win condition. do what you think is best, it'll all come out in the wash.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #186 (isolation #8) » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:59 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

you are the
delusional paranoid

you don't like other people much.

you don't like yourself much either, but that's a different story.

each night you may target a player.

a) the player you targetted dies.
b) you are scum. you win when everyone else is dead.
c) there is a player out there who has a cure for your delusional paranoia and can change your alignment and win condition. if this happens you will lose your nightkill.
d) as you have a clean criminal record, you investigate as town.

one of the above statements is a lie.

good luck!
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #189 (isolation #9) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:51 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

livingod wrote:Is it random which one is a lie, or do we get the mod notes?
does it matter? for a role like this, the fun bit is trying to work out exactly what your role is - are you a regular investigation-immune sk? a curable sk? a townie vigilante who can be recruited into the mafia (or some other nontown alignment)? or an investigation-immune curable sk with a night action that does something other than kill?

any one of those could potentially be the lie and the role still works. the possibility of any of them being untrue is going to affect your play.

and there's potential for other delusional roles as well, of course.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #192 (isolation #10) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:28 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Adele wrote:I know this.

It varies among the players :twisted:
What, like an entire game played in an Insane Asylum? :P

I like it. But as previously mentioned, I'm a
bastard
well, the role does feature (with numerous variations) in my insane asylum setup, as do various other mental disorder-related roles. if only i still had time for playing and modding... *sigh*
Primate wrote:I would make him the person with the ability to turn himself non-delusional. See how long it is before he targets himself.
me likey!
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #194 (isolation #11) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:29 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

yes, you are correct. i hadn't done the fine-toothcomb sanity test on it, just a proof-of-concept draft.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #202 (isolation #12) » Sat May 05, 2007 12:50 pm

Post by Rainbow Brite »

make it have to rhyme too.

i tried to do that once - iambic heptameter, not pentameter, rhyming, natural line breaks, and acting as a relevant narration of the events to date, mderating a game.

my english was, sadly, not good enough and i dumped the gimmick early on. :(

oh, and you want a bastard role? doctor variant, the person you protect each night is the person you were voting at the end of that day.
hey, a sig!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”