CPU Quota

Obsolete, fixed, and incorrect bug requests and problems. Browse here before posting a new topic, to avoid duplicates.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:45 am

Post by mith »

The CPU error has more to do with lots of different things happening than with one action.

We get that error if our account uses a large percentage of CPU time (it used to say 20%, but I think it's more like 15%); probably partly to combat denial-of-service attacks, and partly to keep one site from slowing down all the other accounts on the server. It lasts for about 10-15 seconds.

I recently received an email saying they now have servers specifically for those of us who get this error frequently, but it's a significant jump in cost. Something to consider in the future, though.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:19 am

Post by mith »

Exactly.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #7 (isolation #2) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:29 am

Post by mith »

I hope so too... guess we should stop messing with the wiki for a day and see if that's what's causing it.

Looking at the logs, it looks more likely that it's something else. We're getting a big list of slowness for about 5 minutes at a time, with gaps in between (unfortunately, the gaps aren't very big). I'll look into it.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #10 (isolation #3) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:57 am

Post by mith »

Nearly everything in the logs is forum page loads (with the odd slow mysql query thrown in for good measure). I guess it's possible one of the edits messed something up on the server, but like I said, it's more likely something else.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #16 (isolation #4) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:42 pm

Post by mith »

Looks like there was about a six hour gap, then another five minutes of log, and it's been quiet since then.

jeep, have you made any code changes in the past day or two?
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #18 (isolation #5) » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:55 am

Post by mith »

That makes sense. The last log is from around 9 (I believe the server is on the west coast). We'll see how it looks today. If nothing comes up, I'm inclined to believe it's just a temporary server hiccup - some of the queries that were taking large chunks of CPU time simply shouldn't have been. Probably worth looking into making some things more efficient anyway.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #21 (isolation #6) » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:37 am

Post by mith »

An update on this:

We only had the one CPU exceeded incident yesterday. As I discussed with jeep, the main culprit in that appears to have been a mysql call on the search table. Given that the query is very routine and never ever takes as long as it did that time, I still think it's most likely this is some temporary server issue. We may do some archiving just in case, though.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #26 (isolation #7) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:10 am

Post by mith »

Argh. It was doing relatively well the past few days, too.

Looking at the logs, it seems we've had one CPU Quota error most days, caused primarily by one extremely slow MySQL query. Yesterday, that query was a search one - I could understand those being slow (but on the other hand, they're obviously not
that
slow
all
the time, or we'd have CPU Quota errors constantly... and that totally sounds like WIFOM, doesn't it :)).

Today, we've already had three, and none of them were caused by just one MySQL query, but several not-quite-so-slow-but-still-slow ones, and most of these queries are just routine forum stuff (loading a page and what not).

bluehost will not be getting a valentine today. I'll yell at them some more when I get a chance.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #54 (isolation #8) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am

Post by mith »

I'll look into it (again) when I have some time. I've been sick all week, and now I'm behind on work.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #55 (isolation #9) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:05 am

Post by mith »

We were down for a few minutes. I was told admins were investigating performance on the server. I suspect this is a Lepton's Gambit.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #58 (isolation #10) » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:52 am

Post by mith »

sv, you got a CPU Quota Exceeded error yesterday? Because there's not anything in the logs for yesterday.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #63 (isolation #11) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:36 am

Post by mith »

Weird.

Anyone else gotten a CPU error recently? Nothing in the logs since Saturday.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #87 (isolation #12) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:51 am

Post by mith »

That's the database server (or the site server) being down temporarily. Nothing to do with the CPU. Usually means they're working on something.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #94 (isolation #13) » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:35 am

Post by mith »

Huh. We've had one each of the past three nights, and the logs are... well, it's different than before, I'll leave it at that until I talk to jeep.

Return to “Solved Requests”