Newbie 1339 - Game Over! (Scum Win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:32 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 24, Varsoon wrote:I don't have to submit a vote so soon, do I? It seems pretty scummy to come out the gate and be all 'Okay, this guy, he's dying'.
Can't we do this by lot, lol?

Finding scum is our first priority. Never lose sight of that as town, and you'll be alright.

In post 21, kuror0 wrote:@Nacho Where you got there where no newbies this game? Your source seems unreliable now.

none of you are true newbies
some are still tenderfooted
but we only have one who is truly new.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:44 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 25, Nachomamma8 wrote:
In post 24, Varsoon wrote:I don't have to submit a vote so soon, do I? It seems pretty scummy to come out the gate and be all 'Okay, this guy, he's dying'.
Can't we do this by lot, lol?

Finding scum is our first priority. Never lose sight of that as town, and you'll be alright.

In post 21, kuror0 wrote:@Nacho Where you got there where no newbies this game? Your source seems unreliable now.

none of you are true newbies
some are still tenderfooted
but we only have one who is truly new.

Well, yeah, if we don't lynch people then the scum gets to just kill us off without any resistance. I suppose pushing everyone around and riling them up is a good way to have accusations flung all around/make the scum step out of line, but it seems to very violent and forced at first. I guess what's important your first impression of the other players? Instinct!

Regardless, I'll hold my vote for now. I wanna see what all you guys have to say before I make my decision.

Am I the only true newbie? Oh man.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:48 am

Post by Varsoon »

Also, as far as the roles go, I realize that there's -definitely- a mafia cop and there /might/ be a Town cop. Now I feel bad for anyone if they're town cop, lol.
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

How is discussing the likehood of a Town Cop existing in the setup relevant to Town's success?
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:05 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 28, RandomYoshi wrote:How is discussing the likehood of a Town Cop existing in the setup relevant to Town's success?

Well, because there's 100% chance for Mafia to have a cop, we know that if anyone outright says they're a cop or that they investigated anyone, etc, they're either lying or they're likely not town. However, there's a pretty high chance that town has a cop, so I was saying I feel bad for that guy. He basically can't say -anything- about being a cop without falling under scrutiny.

Can we have conversations about things not directly related to the game? Like, I'm at my desk job right now, so that's why I'm replying so often. It'd be cool to hold some conversations that would let us know each other a bit more. If that's something generally off limits, that's k.
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 am

Post by Approximately Normal Guy »

In post 22, RandomYoshi wrote:
What specifically were you replying to? His reason for his RV or his RV in and of itself?

Sorry, it was the "he is creepy" part. I should have deleted the rest of the quote.

And @Varsoon, it's highly unlikely that scum would fake a cop claim unless it was end game, imo. It would just be pretty damn ballsy. So not much to worry about there.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:28 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 30, Approximately Normal Guy wrote:
In post 22, RandomYoshi wrote:
What specifically were you replying to? His reason for his RV or his RV in and of itself?

Sorry, it was the "he is creepy" part. I should have deleted the rest of the quote.

And @Varsoon, it's highly unlikely that scum would fake a cop claim unless it was end game, imo. It would just be pretty damn ballsy. So not much to worry about there.

Well, dude, that's the thing. What if, on second day or something, he exposed the other guy as scum and got his partner killed? Everyone would think he was actually the cop and then he'd have free reign to investigate town while seeming like a good guy.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:31 am

Post by Varsoon »

I mean, clearly, that'd be a pretty outlandish strategy, and both of the mafia would have to agree upon it. Also, if that does happen, IE: a cop reveals scum, I figure we might lynch him now that I mentioned that approach. It'd be too obvious.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 am

Post by Varsoon »

So, like I said, I feel kinda bad for town cop, if there is one.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

welp varsoon is town
and he should probably put a vote down
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:36 am

Post by Varsoon »

Vote:RandomYoshi

Your user title is 'Mafia Scum'. I think I'm gifted with the Sight.

In post 34, Nachomamma8 wrote:welp varsoon is town
and he should probably put a vote down

Yeah? I guess so--at the very least, it'll get the game rolling a bit more.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:45 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 28, RandomYoshi wrote:How is discussing the likehood of a Town Cop existing in the setup relevant to Town's success?

Furthering my vote from before, I'm a little suspicious of the way you say "relevant to Town's success". I know not all of us have written in, so it's probably hasty to make this judgment, but it seems like a subconscious slip to refer to Town as if you're not a part of it. In fact, if you were town, wouldn't you want to discuss things that might possibly lead to our success?
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:16 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

In post 36, Varsoon wrote:In fact, if you were town, wouldn't you want to discuss things that might possibly lead to our success?

Yes, of course I'd want to discuss things that are beneficial for us Townies to win. I just wanted you to highlight how it could be contributing to our success as Town. In fact, all I wanted to know was your mindset behind the topics you brought up. Now that you have explained satisfactorily how it can help our success as Town, my question has been thoroughly answered.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 37, RandomYoshi wrote:
In post 36, Varsoon wrote:In fact, if you were town, wouldn't you want to discuss things that might possibly lead to our success?

Yes, of course I'd want to discuss things that are beneficial for us Townies to win. I just wanted you to highlight how it could be contributing to our success as Town. In fact, all I wanted to know was your mindset behind the topics you brought up. Now that you have explained satisfactorily how it can help our success as Town, my question has been thoroughly answered.

Fairnuff, but I won't change my vote until we get some more discussion rolling.
I feel like I might be too chatty, but I think it's really important that we all chat as much as possible.
The best way we can route out the scum is to talk a lot. This way, the people who aren't as active are under scrutiny and scum is forced to be more social, leading to a higher chance of slipping up. We should hold a quota of so many posts per real-time day. Falling under the quota doesn't benefit town at all, and so those are people we can lynch if we don't agree on a definitive mafia target.

Does this sound like a good plan, everyone?
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:25 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

That sounds like the best plan ever. Now, what should the quota be?

For the matter, Varsoon is the hugest Townread I have so far.
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:49 am

In post 38, Varsoon wrote:
In post 37, RandomYoshi wrote:

Fairnuff, but I won't change my vote until we get some more discussion rolling.
I feel like I might be too chatty, but I think it's really important that we all chat as much as possible.
The best way we can route out the scum is to talk a lot. This way, the people who aren't as active are under scrutiny and scum is forced to be more social, leading to a higher chance of slipping up. We should hold a quota of so many posts per real-time day. Falling under the quota doesn't benefit town at all, and so those are people we can lynch if we don't agree on a definitive mafia target.

Does this sound like a good plan, everyone?

Super eager and ready to get the ball rolling. I like this guy.

And it's a great plan! Discussion is our greatest weapon. In my first newbie game I started getting really frustrated because the game wasn't active enough for me. It makes it nearly impossible to move forward when it's day 3 and most of the people in the game aren't even saying anything.

Let's not forget that people do have real lives, however. So it should be something within reason. I'm thinking like 4-5 posts per day?
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:51 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

That's a great quota. Anything above that should also be appreciated. Any objections?
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 am

Post by Nobody Special »

This is my first post of this real-life day.

I think posting quotas are stupid.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:01 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

Care to explain why?
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:08 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 40, Approximately Normal Guy wrote:

Super eager and ready to get the ball rolling. I like this guy.

And it's a great plan! Discussion is our greatest weapon. In my first newbie game I started getting really frustrated because the game wasn't active enough for me. It makes it nearly impossible to move forward when it's day 3 and most of the people in the game aren't even saying anything.

Let's not forget that people do have real lives, however. So it should be something within reason. I'm thinking like 4-5 posts per day?

I think that 5 posts a day is a healthy benchmark. Honestly, it only takes a minute or two to write something or respond to someone else. If you can't take 5 to 10 minutes out of a day to ensure that your fellow townsmen aren't wrongfully lynched, you probably shouldn't be playing the game.

But, yeah, let's talk about the quota for a bit.
Does a 5-post-per day quota work for you? Why or why not?

Keep in mind, this is wholly a construction of our game and wouldn't be enforced in any way. It'd just encourage us to keep the ball rolling and better ensure that we don't lynch the wrong people. The thing Mafia are scared of most is good communication, as they thrive off of miscommunication. If we stay in good touch, it should be a solid way to evaluate every player involved. Those who don't post very often will be under higher scrutiny as they aren't contributing to the well-being of the whole.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:09 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 42, Nobody Special wrote:This is my first post of this real-life day.

I think posting quotas are stupid.

Yeah, I'd like to know, too. I can understand that we all lead lives outside of this game, but why join a game if you can't even contribute a minimum of five posts?
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:12 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

Varsoon is so much Town.

Anyway, the posting quota is appealing to me. Five posts per day should give us Townies a lot of discussion to base our votes on.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Yes, Varsoon is very much town.

I think attaching an arbitrary number to a player and saying YOU MUST POST THESE MANY TIMES PER DAY OR... is folly. Some people post more substance in one or two posts a day than some other people who post forty times a day.

An arbitrary number is just that, arbitrary.

If you feel someone is lurking (or active lurking), vote them.

If they don't improve their quality of posting, lynch them.

It's very simple.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 am

Post by Varsoon »

I haven't really looked at other games, but I figure it's an effective strategy.
If you guys have any other ideas that can contribute to good communication, let all of us know!
Even if you get lynched or mafia kills you, your contributions will help town out long after you are gone.
Approximately Normal Guy
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Approximately Normal Guy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:24 am

In post 47, Nobody Special wrote:Yes, Varsoon is very much town.

I think attaching an arbitrary number to a player and saying YOU MUST POST THESE MANY TIMES PER DAY OR... is folly. Some people post more substance in one or two posts a day than some other people who post forty times a day.

An arbitrary number is just that, arbitrary.

If you feel someone is lurking (or active lurking), vote them.

If they don't improve their quality of posting, lynch them.

It's very simple.

I see where you're coming from. But I also agree it's good to have an informal agreement to keep a healthy level of content. There was a guy who lurked a ton in my first game, and when people called him on it, he'd just say something like "well if I'm lurking there's probably a reason for it" and it made it hard to lynch him. I'd personally feel better having a verbal agreement from people to hold them accountable in the future.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”