The Pokemon Nuzlocke Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #500 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Update:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I FOUND A SCYTHER AT THE BUG CATCHING CONTEST !!!! There's only a five percent chance of encountering it, and FUCK YES THE FIRST ENCOUNTER WAS A SCYTHER ! If this thing dies I'm going to be extremely pissed off.

Oh, and I killed Sudowoodo. On purpose. And I enjoyed it ;)

Main team:

Image Cornelis the Croconaw - lv 21
I learned it headbutt because I tried to get a Heracross (sadly in vain) from headbutting trees. It's actually his strongest attack now because water gun just doesn't really cut it.
Image Gert the Geodude - lv 22
Seriously, Geodude is * the * best. I was very happy that I indeed encountered it on the route above the first one. Nothing can maim it (heck even Bellsprout's Vine Whip didn't hurt that much because it's a physical move) and it's pretty strong with Rock Throw. The only downside is that it hardly ever moves first because it's so slow, but it learns Rock Polish to take care of that, though honestly I hardly ever use it. With magnitude and Rock Throw, it can basically hit anything and do good damage too.
Image Beatrix the Scyther - lv 19
This thing is just so bad ass. It's extremely rare to get a scyther on your first try in the bug catching contest (5 percent chance). Even though its best move is fucking Pursuit, it can still hit very hard with it. How cool is that? I also gave him the U-turn TM which is a reasonably powerful bug move that switches you out. I like to use it instead of, well, simply switching, because it certainly packs a punch.

Backups:
Nidoran-Female - Seriously considering using this now as it gets a nice movepool and typing. Needs a lot of grinding though.
Zubat - It's sitting in the day-care now, though I'm not sure if I will use it. Crobat is a pretty good pokemon, but so... standard.

Deceased
Image Govert the Gastly - Route 36
He truly was a faithful companion, killer at catching pokes with Hypnosis and Night Shade and laughing in the face of pokemon with only normal-type moves. Killed by an alakazam that outsped me and OHKO'd with confusion...
Image Philippe the Togepi - Slowpoke Cave
He had a lot of potential with the ridiculously powerful move Extrasensory (basically a poor man's Psychic). However, his defenses were just too low.
Image Kenya the Spearow - Route 36
Fucking whore of a Clefable. That double battle with the Clefables and Wigglytuffs is pretty fucking hard and frustrating because they absorb all attacks with their immense amount of fat. Luckily we managed to save the Mail from Kenya's corpse. I'll avoid the gave who gave me it.

Now off to Goldenrod City to grab Bill's Eevee. Not sure what I'll evolve it in, I might make it happy and let it evolve into Espeon. Vaporeon is usually better, but I already have a water pokemon. Jolteon is another option. Umbreon and Flareon suck.
Aj The Epic
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #501 (ISO) » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:31 am

Post by Aj The Epic »

In post 500, sirdanilot wrote:He truly was a faithful companion, killer at catching pokes with Hypnosis and Night Shade and laughing in the face of pokemon with only normal-type moves. Killed by an alakazam that outsped me and OHKO'd with confusion...

Kadabra/Alakazam: Really, really fast. Mine, basically if I don't kill the Pokemon I attack with Kadabra, I'm going to lose over half his health.

Also, for your team right now, a Jolteon would not help you with your ground-type weakness. Now with a levitate and flyer dead, ground types with EQ can really hurt. I'd personally look into something other than a vaporeon, since crockanaw is really strong, and vaporeon is basically a wall. Umbreon is actually really good, the defense and especially SpD is some of the highest among dark types (and his SpD ranks up there with Clefable). A curse/payback umbreon is a really strong sweeper.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #502 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I don't really have a problem with grounds because Scyther is Flying/Bug. Admittedly it's weak to rock, though, and most ground types know moves like rock throw. But to be honest Croconaw can blast most ground types away with Surf.

I wanted to go for Espeon, but it takes a long time to get the happiness up. It learns confusion at level 15, but if I reach that level before it evolves it won't learn it....
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #503 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 am

Post by Klazam »

Happiness increases by one every 100 steps you take I think, so just run in circles for a few hours.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #504 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:50 am

Post by sirdanilot »

^Yep, I cycled up and down Goldenrod (wasted about 45 mins of my life on that, but oh so worth it) and it evolved into Espeon allright and learned confusion !

Update:

Epic warstory at the ghost gym ! Scyther was slaughtering Ghastly's with Pursuit, until Gengar came in. Wow, a level 25 Gengar. It outsped scyther and used hypnosis, and Shadow Ball almost OHKO'ed Scyther. Between being asleep and within 2x the OHKO range (a critical hit is 2x normal damage and I don't want to risk losing a SCYTHER because of one), I decided to switch to the - until then - completely useless Joop the Hoothoot. A level 4 Hoothoot. Gengar used Mean Look and Hypnosis, and I used the time to heal scyther with items. But I discovered that Gengar couldn't hit Hoothoot at all ! Shadow ball doesn't work, and because I didn't really attack it (hoothoot only knew tackle), Sucker Punch didn't work either. So I decided to wear Gengar out until it had to use struggle to kill hoothoot. Then I sent in scyther and killed gengar with pursuit.
Funny thing is that I did actually hit Gengar with Tackle a couple of times. Hoothoot knows Foresight, and if you use foresight then tackle you can hit gengar with tackle. It only did one damage though as hoothoot was only level 4.

Hoothoot died a very heroic death. So long ! Now I only have two Hoothoots left :lol:

Main team:

Image Cornelis the Croconaw - lv 22
It blasts every single thing away with a killer moveset of headbutt, surf, bite and Ice Fang.
Image Gert the Geodude - lv 23
Seriously, Geodude is * the * best. I was very happy that I indeed encountered it on the route above the first one. Nothing can maim it (heck even Bellsprout's Vine Whip didn't hurt that much because it's a physical move) and it's pretty strong with Rock Throw. The only downside is that it hardly ever moves first because it's so slow, but it learns Rock Polish to take care of that, though honestly I hardly ever use it. With magnitude and Rock Throw, it can basically hit anything and do good damage too.
Image Beatrix the Scyther - lv 23
This thing is just so bad ass. It's extremely rare to get a scyther on your first try in the bug catching contest (5 percent chance). With Wing Attack, Pursuit and U-Turn (tm), it can hit anything for quite a bit of damage. If things get too hot, it can U-Turn out safely while still dealing major damage. It is also a killer poke catcher with false swipe.
ImageIvo the Espeon - lv 21
Took me blood, sweat and tears to evolve it at level 15 (if you evolve it later, it misses out on confusion and doesn't learn a good psychic move ever again until a very high level meaning it's essentially useless). But it pawns with confusion !

Backups:
Nidoran-Female - Don't think I will use this anymore, unless I fuck up and lose half my team or something.
Zubat - It's sitting in the day-care now, though I'm not sure if I will use it. Crobat is a pretty good pokemon, but so... standard.

Deceased
Image Joop the Hoothoot - Ecruteak City Gym
I never ever used him, he was sitting in my party doing nothing for the entire game up until his death. See above for the epic warstory.
Image Govert the Gastly - Route 36
He truly was a faithful companion, killer at catching pokes with Hypnosis and Night Shade and laughing in the face of pokemon with only normal-type moves. Killed by an alakazam that outsped me and OHKO'd with confusion...
Image Philippe the Togepi - Slowpoke Cave
He had a lot of potential with the ridiculously powerful move Extrasensory (basically a poor man's Psychic). However, his defenses were just too low.
Image Kenya the Spearow - Route 36
Fucking whore of a Clefable. That double battle with the Clefables and Wigglytuffs is pretty fucking hard and frustrating because they absorb all attacks with their immense amount of fat. Luckily we managed to save the Mail from Kenya's corpse. I'll avoid the gave who gave me it.

Now off to Goldenrod City to grab Bill's Eevee. Not sure what I'll evolve it in, I might make it happy and let it evolve into Espeon. Vaporeon is usually better, but I already have a water pokemon. Jolteon is another option. Umbreon and Flareon suck.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #505 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 am

Post by sirdanilot »

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I JUST CAUGHT A FUCKING TAUROS !!!!!!!11
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #506 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:21 am

Post by sirdanilot »

FUCK
THAT
FUCKING
HITMONCHAN

AAAAAAAAAAAARGHF;KJFSDJ;KLFDSAFADKJ;LFDAJ;KL
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #507 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Post by sirdanilot »

Erm... My Zubat is now level 35 (!) because of the Day-care... Is it ethical as per Nuzlocke rules to use it, or should I wait till my other pokes are at about that level?
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #508 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

It depends on the Nuzlocke, I guess.

I say go for it.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #509 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:24 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Nah I decided to wait as my three pokes that actually don't die (scyther, tauros and geodude) suffice for the moment. I'll need to raise a water poke for the olivine gym (geodude can handle the magnemites but not a Steelix) and then I'll be fine.

Good news: I caught another tauros. Yes, on the route to the safari zone. What are the odds of that? Tauros is incredibly rare ! Should tauros die, I can simply raise the other one. I almost caught a kanghaskan (went into the safari zone and first thing I saw BAM kanghaskan) but alas it fled.

Bad news: Tried to raise a tentacool, I got it killed. Then caught a mareep, tried to raise it but it got killed by a FUCKING POLIWAG. Then I tried to raise ANOTHER tentacool but it got killed as well.... I did catch a poliwag which I could use, or I could go and catch myself a krabby (the rock smash rocks in cianwood city contain Krabby and sometimes shuckle, though the latter is very rare and honestly not very useful as it can't really attack for shit).
Aj The Epic
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #510 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Post by Aj The Epic »

How do people lose so many pokemon on a nuzlocke run? I rarely drop a pokemon (at the time, I've only lost Frightful, fifth gym area now) and I use relatively fragile pokemon in my group.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #511 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Post by Klazam »

how much do you level grind?
Aj The Epic
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Aj The Epic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #512 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Post by Aj The Epic »

I try to be at least four levels ahead of the leader. And I always make sure the main poke either is immune or should be faster than anything the leader has.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #513 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Post by Klazam »

That's why
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #514 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:58 am

Post by sirdanilot »

I don't grind that much. For example, against the Red Gyarados (level 30) my highest level poke was level 25. I sadly lost a geodude in that battle, but honestly I just went to dark cave and caught anotther (60 percent encounter rate of geodudes there). Or well, I did but then my emulator crashed. I have told myself that I have the right to go back and catch a geodude though, because that's lame. Now if I was playing on a handheld adn the battery died, alas that'd be my fault, but not a stupid emulator crashing...

I will have to train it from level 4 to level 25, which will be a pain but that's why DesMuMe has the 'fast forward' button, haha.

In fact it's so extreme that I can't use any poke that's at a higher level than the current highest poke in my party, which is now level 25 or so. So I can't use gyara till all my pokes are at about 30. Same goes for the level 35 zubat that had been sitting in the day care for too long. I think this adds a nice little extra challenge to the Nuzlocke concept.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #515 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:50 am

Post by Klazam »

I usually battle the gym leader when I have Pokemon either at their level or one less.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #516 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 am

Post by Glork »

In post 512, Aj The Epic wrote:I try to be at least four levels ahead of the leader. And I always make sure the main poke either is immune or should be faster than anything the leader has.

Real Nuzlockes don't grind. Within one level or it's hacks.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #517 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:59 am

Post by Klazam »

No reward without the risk of a loss
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #518 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:51 am

Post by sirdanilot »

It depends on your team, though. Like for the Fighting gym I had scyther to rape everything, so I managed well below Chuck's level. But now I am going to face the steel gym and my main pokes can't even dream of hurting any steel pokemon. Staryu (yes I caught one !!!!) is still at too low a level and actually I want to find a waterstone before I battle the gym, and geodude is at too low a level too.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #519 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:14 am

Post by Glork »

I also don't raise my Pokemon by swapping them out of a fight against higher levels. Go back to Route 1 and make your Pokemon fight its way up. :P

Damn. Now I want to Nuzlocke again.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #520 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:44 am

Post by Chevre »

I raise my pokemon to the level of the highest pokemon the gym leader has. Although this is now tricky because Jasmine has Lv. 35 and Pryce is Lv. 31. But I got a new Heracross (Kimberly) to train up, so that's kind of useful. :)
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #521 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:50 am

Post by Om of the Nom »

In post 511, Klazam wrote:how much do you level grind?

When I was trying to do my Touhoumon Nuzlocke I grinded my starter to level 20 before I even
reached
the first gym.
Fast forward buttons are amazing~
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #522 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Post by Glork »

So what version are people Nuzlockeing right now? Link to download?
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #523 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 522, Glork wrote:So what version are people Nuzlockeing right now? Link to download?

Buy the game you silly cheapskate.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #524 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Post by Glork »

I own no platforms which run pokemon games. A bunch of us did Emerald Nuzlocke runs with randomly generated pokemon a while back, but I thought I'd try another version if there was one available.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!

Return to “The Arcade”