Standardized Rules and Role PMs (Open Games)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:55 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

I propose that the townie PM always be public knowledge.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:46 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Oh oops. Yeah, in an open game I think all role PMs should be public.

As far as what they should say... It depends a bit how much common knowledge and general rules you want to work in. Myself I don't see a big problem with

"You are a/the
Cop
. Every night you can investigate someone. You win with the town."

But I could also see working in:
1. exactly how you investigate someone (PM the mod)
2. the format of your results
3. whether you can be sure of your sanity
4. precisely how the town wins
5. the fact that you're not allowed to talk to anyone outside the game
6. rules on when choices need to be received
7. the rule that if you get NKed, you don't get to post any results you had
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #30 (isolation #2) » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

It occurs to me that with this win condition, as long as the game has not been called, the scum know the town has some way to thwart them. I'm not sure what they could do with that info, but it seems inappropriate.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #32 (isolation #3) » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:53 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

It seems to me a total matter of opinion whether scum deserve to win at the point where town can only win through night power...
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #47 (isolation #4) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

As always my take on this is "live and let live." But this debate always annoys me.

For one thing it should be obvious that the "50%" camp holds that mafia have an inherent endgaming ability. That makes it pointless to point out that flavorwise it makes no sense that a vig would just stop killing.

For another thing, wth is with saying "the real rule is total annihilation of opposing sides." That's either attacking a strawman, or you guys think the 50% camp is so dumb that they don't even believe mafia win by killing off the town.

I'd also like to see a reference on what is "Standard Mafia." I was not aware that was subject to capitalization. Lacking that, how can you claim that the 50% rule is "really chrome" when the basic game doesn't have vigs or double-voters to make it possible to tell what the practice signifies?

Finally, I'm sure there are any number of points that could be made along the lines of what Glork says in post 45, making a plea for townies with one-shot abilities. Personally I like the 50% rule because I like it to be clear for scum that when they reach a certain ratio, they win. I don't expect anybody else to find that aesthetic preference of mine to be a convincing argument.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #49 (isolation #5) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:10 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Why should I have to do that or care about other people's aesthetics? I say the setup designer should be able to implement whichever they like. And confirm it to the players if they so choose.

I am only annoyed by what I see as bad arguments against the 50% rule.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #50 (isolation #6) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:37 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

I didn't see you edited your post.

I will try to dig up the thread where this was discussed earlier. [Edit: here from last October. Besides myself, CES and Norinel preferred a 50% rule.]

I don't know why you give that quote from Princeton when I just stated why such statements of the win condition don't favor either camp. Nobody is talking about games where the mafia reaches half, wins, and lets the other townies go home.

I also don't know why you point out that I'll likely lose to most people on aesthetics when I pretty much said that myself.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #53 (isolation #7) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:15 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

I'm not arguing about what should be standard in open games. I'm only responding to arguments that seem to be used to argue about what should be the rule generally.

Beyond that I don't know how to be any clearer. My questions in post 50 come from two points you made in 48 not appearing to be sensible responses to my post 47. In particular my post 47 already rebuts using that particular Princeton quote as an argument against using a 50% rule.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #61 (isolation #8) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:08 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Mr. Flay wrote:It's time for a PBPA!
(and people wonder why I don't
play
Mafia games right now...)
Kelly Chen in post 47 wrote:For another thing, wth is with saying "the real rule is total annihilation of opposing sides." That's either attacking a strawman, or you guys think the 50% camp is so dumb that they don't even believe mafia win by killing off the town.
But at least some of the 50% camp are saying that night actions don't have any bearing on a 50% daytime 'win'. I (and Glork, and Nocmen, and ssflea, and Yos, and mneme, and mith/Princeton previously) are saying that it does matter, at least where the town could pull out a
win
. Tie situations are usually a result of bad game design, IMO.
The 50% camp say night actions don't have any bearing at the point that the scum attain 1:1
due to the fact that the town gets endgamed to death
before any more night actions can be made. That is why it doesn't make
flavor
sense to point out that
flavorwise
e.g. a vig wouldn't stop killing. [edited]
Norinel back in October 2006 wrote:My metaishgame justification for mafia winning in that scenario is that the town's goal is to
find who the scum are fast enough
, and having them all be dead at the end is a consequence. This situation most likely came from a 2-town 1-mafia endgame Day situation where the town lynched wrong and thus failed to find scum who the scum are fast enough.

For tie-ists and townwin-ists: Suppose there's a mini with two scum and a complete bulletproof. The bulletproof claims and is cleared (somehow) Day 1, and the town lynches scum Day 1. Now, no matter what happens, the town cannot lose, because they won't lynch the bulletproof and so the best the scum can do is tie by not being found by the end. If scum counterclaims, (And the vest isn't cleared), the town can force a tie by finding the rest of the scum and not lynching either. Is this fair?
Cogito Ergo Sum back in October 2006 wrote:Two unnkable GFs: tie.
Mafia + Unnkable Townie: depends on the Moderator and the mafia winning condition. I would count it as a mafia win(the mafia, no longer fearing the lynch mob, comes out at day and beats the living crap out of the townie), although others count it as a draw.
Norinel seems to be arguing against passive roles like 100% Bulletproof Townie (which have been shown repeatedly to have problems of this nature). CES is talking about to resolve a true stalemate. Neither are dealing with games that still have viable options left.
CES: "I treat the mafia as having an inherent endgaming ability. You wouldn't want a double voter to win if he's left with a goon or SK, would you?"

It is possible that Norinel doesn't favor the 50% rule generally but I don't see how one could conclude that he had an issue with that role. Why make a deal of saying "the town's goal is to find who the scum are fast enough" if his real complaint is about the town having that role?
Kelly, also in 47, wrote:I'd also like to see a reference on what is "Standard Mafia." I was not aware that was subject to capitalization. Lacking that, how can you claim that the 50% rule is "really chrome" when the basic game doesn't have vigs or double-voters to make it possible to tell what the practice signifies?
There's a big difference between saying that the "standard" game-winning condition (eliminate everyone but your faction) has changed as the game has evolved, versus the inclusion of new roles as the game has evolved. "50% = win" is/was just a shortcut to avoid a series of foregone conclusions in the endgame.
Again:
1. No one is saying mafia don't have to "eliminate everyone but their faction."
2. I stated it wasn't clear whether the rule was a shortcut or a natural part of the game. All you have done here is state that it is the former. I asked how that is clear.
Finally, Kelly in 47 wrote:Finally, I'm sure there are any number of points that could be made along the lines of what Glork says in post 45, making a plea for townies with one-shot abilities. Personally I like the 50% rule because I like it to be clear for scum that when they reach a certain ratio, they win.
Glork in post 45 of this thread wrote:
Thesp wrote:I agree, well before they get endgamed. ;)
Disagree entirely.

Though this case isn't necessarily applicable for the purposes of our "standardized role PMs for open setups," consider the case of protown players with one-shot abilities. If these players choose to keep their aces up their sleeves, even to the very last possible moment, they should be allowed to use their abilities as long as they are alive. If night chocies can turn the tide of a game, then by all means they should be used.

For example: I asked Adel/Seol in Scrubs Mafia, if my ability to turn a kill back on scum meant that they wouldn't auto-win at "endgame," and when I was told that you would in fact
not
auto-win, I played a little differently. I decided that personal survival was much more important, as my role could very easily swing the game in favor of us (which it did, albeit not at endgame itself).
I was with you right up until you stripped one-time-roles of their ability without warning.
Personally I would never assume I've guessed the end-of-game conditions the mod has established in a closed setup. If it were really crucial I would ask the mod (and have).
Kelly Chen in post 50 wrote:Nobody is talking about games where the mafia reaches half, wins, and lets the other townies go home.
Correct; no one is, including the "kill everyone else" 'camp', so why did you even bring this up?
For example, when you bring up that Princeton quote as an argument against a 50% rule, you imply that the 50% camp do not believe that the mafia's "goal is to kill off all the civilians in the game." Of course that's still the goal. The difference isn't whether mafia have to kill everybody, it's whether they ever obtain an ability to do it during the day.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #63 (isolation #9) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:36 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Mr. Flay wrote:I'm saying that both
Princeton and mith
have said that the true goal is to kill off the other factions.
I guess this will be the fifth time I've tried to point out that the Princeton quote etc. doesn't favor either camp, since nobody disagrees that "the true goal" is "to kill off the other factions."
Even still, I was
pissed
when RPS (a theme mini) came up with a "Paper beats Rock" mechanic to resolve ties when the 2-2 tie came about, because I'd orchestrated a very difficult to arrange MAD endgame between the two remaining factions. AFAIK, even the other scum group didn't ask if that was the case, but I could be wrong.
I would be pissed too, since it sounds like that resolution is out of nowhere. Also, if Rock had an ability to defeat Scissors, you might expect this to have been in the Rock role pm.
I always figure out the results of non-MAD ties before I start my games, even if I don't tell the players explicitly, and I'm very careful in not lying in my role PMs.
??? You're implying something about the RPS setup I take it.
I'm willing to concede that I might be misinterpreting CES & Norinel, but I still disagree with this "inherent endgaming" concept, and I think its unusual, not just ambiguous.
I have no problem with people arguing against the rule because it is "unusual."
For instance, nowhere in the Mafia role does it usually say "...and you gain a daykill for each living member of your faction when you reach 50% of those alive", so why are you granting it to them suddenly?
My role pms usually do say that. If they didn't, it would largely negate the reason I prefer this endgame condition, since scum wouldn't know they had this in their favor.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #67 (isolation #10) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:49 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Kelly Chen wrote:My role pms usually do say that. If they didn't, it would largely negate the reason I prefer this endgame condition, since scum wouldn't know they had this in their favor.
Ahh, that explains it, then. I've never played in one of the famous Kelly Games
(tm)
Kelly Chen wrote:??? You're implying something about the RPS setup I take it.
Not really, I just would be even more hacked off if I suddenly lost a game after carefully saving my one-shot vig until the endgame. Do your town PMs know that the scum have this ability, too?
In an open setup (which is most of my games) the endgame scenarios are outlined in the OPs.

In a closed setup it would be good advice for townies to expect that I'll do things the same as usual. Beyond that I really don't think it is necessarily any of a townie's business to know the endgame rules. As a case in point, in my last closed setup I felt I could only hint even in the
scum
role pms about the endgame conditions, since spelling them out would reveal that there were two scum groups, which was not open knowledge.

I see we have different expectations, but I as a vig would never assume that I would still get a chance to shoot when a mislynch gives scum 1:1. If it were crucial to know, then I'd ask, but if I didn't get an answer, I'd accept that that's part of being a townie.
Yosarian2 wrote:I'm kind of surprised you think that that an "everyone dies" tie is somehow not as good as a "living" tie; I've never thought of it that way.
Well, they may both be ties, but usually
someone
on your team living is part of the Win Condition (even if it's just implicit), so it's a lower sort of tie, if that makes sense. It beats losing outright, but not by much, in my book. One may let me claim I satisfied my WC, while the other merely says I denied you yours.
I use "everyone dies and loses" to prevent a scum alliance against the town.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #84 (isolation #11) » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:50 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Well I think usually the town is told that they win when all threats to them are eliminated. Maybe they win on a technicality if a threat technically ceases to be a threat.

I think town winning with a single roleblocker and a single goon is... Uh, lame. How would the mod even explain why the town won?
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #86 (isolation #12) » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:38 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

I guess I think that would be more satisfying if there were a chance of them catching syphilis and dying prior to endgame.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”