No-Eliminate D1: A bad move?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Toon Fighter
Toon Fighter
Mafia Scum
Toon Fighter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

No-Eliminate D1: A bad move?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 3:18 am

Post by Toon Fighter »

Hi, I've played mafia on other sites and forums, and in one of them the consensus seems to be that the best play D1 is to no-lynch and just wait for the night. I always try to shake up some discussion during that day, but, town and mafia both usually vote for a no-lynch, with the result of a wasted day, and everyone's time. My question is:

1) Why is No-lynch during D1 a bad move?
2) How do I convince a town that it is a bad move?
3) If the town's mentality doesn't change, how can I (as a player) take advantage of it?
4) If the town's mentality doesn't change, how can I (as a mod) take advantage of it/change the rules to modify the player's mentality/design the game around the fact that D1 will likely have a no-lynch?

I'd appreciate any answers. Thank you for your input!
~Toon fighter~
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 3:22 am

Post by Zachrulez »

If the game starts with an odd number of players, no lynching takes away one of the town's mislynches prior to the scum getting the endgame win.

In a 9 player game with 2 scum, you lose upon mislynching for a third time. If you no lynch, you can only mislynch once. (And will lose upon the second mislynch.)

Getting more town controlled kills on the scum is going to give you a much better chance of winning than getting less. (You can probably even point to a higher scum win % on the relevant site.)
Captain Corporal
Captain Corporal
Goon
Captain Corporal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 am

Post by Captain Corporal »

Let's take your classic newbie setup, as an example.
7 town
2 scum

Let's say that the town decide to NL D1, but lynch every day from then, and scum also kills every night.
Day 2: 6 town, 2 scum. (25% chance of hitting scum)
Day 3: 4 town, 2 scum. (33% chance of hitting scum)

Now let's say town lynch D1:
D2: 5 town, 2 scum. (28.5% chance of hitting scum)
Day 3: 3 town, 2 scum. (40% chance of hitting scum)

As you can see, the town have a greater chance of hitting scum if they lynch anyone D1. There's some rule about that, it's in the wiki somewhere.
This is just from a statistical PoV, but lynching D1 is almost always better.

Ninja'd >_> What Zach said.
 ̄\_(ッ)_/ ̄
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 3:47 am

Post by iamausername »

Lynching can kill scum.

Scum kills can't.

Less lynching = more scum kills.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
Captain Corporal
Captain Corporal
Goon
Captain Corporal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 3:49 am

Post by Captain Corporal »

This is what I'm talking about, but the opposite way around and not on D1.
The wiki link I was looking for: ...and they all lived happily ever after
Numbers, Part 1 is also relevant.
 ̄\_(ッ)_/ ̄
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 3:56 am

Post by Magua »

In post 0, Toon Fighter wrote:1) Why is No-lynch during D1 a bad move?
2) How do I convince a town that it is a bad move?
3) If the town's mentality doesn't change, how can I (as a player) take advantage of it?
4) If the town's mentality doesn't change, how can I (as a mod) take advantage of it/change the rules to modify the player's mentality/design the game around the fact that D1 will likely have a no-lynch?

For #1 and #2, IIAUN said it best -- if you don't lynch, you can't kill scum. You're just giving them free extra kills.

#3 is hard. Obviously taking advantage of it as scum is simple -- let them. If you're town, you probably simply can't take advantage of it, because it doesn't work to your advantage. If town is set on NL, you could try to run a policy lynch on a known lurker/non-contributor D1, but if they flip town, you may then become the lynch target D2.

#4 is easier. Depending upon what you want to accomplish, there are a number of ways you can alter the game rules:
- Start the game with an even number of players, so that the town doesn't lose a lynch by no-lynching (assuming one kill a Night).
- You could have a plurality lynch at deadline instead of a no lynch (person with the most votes dies). This won't work if the town actually votes for no lynch as opposed to simply not lynching anyone.
- You could have a Night-start game. Downside is that someone who wanted to play will probably die, but the upside is that investigative roles may have information that will spur the town to actually lynch someone.
- Since the biggest reason towns no lynch on D1 is "lack of information", give roles that can do things during the Day that generate information. Eg, a Day Vigilante (or, to be more forceful, 1 1-shot Day-1-Only Day Vigilante).
- Make it a known part of the setup that scum gain a reward if town no lynches (eg, "If there is a No Lynch, the Mafia gain an additional kill that Night" or similar.)
Lost Butterfly
Lost Butterfly
Mafia Scum
Lost Butterfly
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 4:03 am

Post by Lost Butterfly »

I had that problem in an offsite forum - what happened was mods put in a 'Benefactor' who if there was a No Lynch Day 1 could pick a town player to kill, instead. It wasn't a very refined option but it did brute force the problem pretty well eventually.
Mafiascum Fantasy Camp 2 - Day 7 ongoing
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 5:50 am

Post by kuribo »

Basically, if you don't lynch day 1, you can't analyze the wagons on day 2.

IE, if scum gets lynched day 1, you can try to look at the wagon and figure out who was bussing / who was avoiding the wagon.
If town gets lynched day 1, you can try to figure out who was pushing it.

If you no-lynch Day 1, then the scum kills someone Night 1, and you still don't have wagons to analyze on Day 2.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 7:20 am

Post by quadz08 »

If there's a huge giant issue with this on site meta, then designs games for a Night 0, and start with that.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 11:24 am

Post by Vi »

In post 0, Toon Fighter wrote:Hi, I've played mafia on other sites and forums, and in one of them the consensus seems to be that the best play D1 is to no-lynch and just wait for the night.
In my experience the reason for this is "the Cop will eventually save us, so the more we say now the more likely the Mafia are to find said Cop and kill them, so D3 or something we can actually start this game".
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Post by Glork »

No lynch is a terrible, awful, horrible move D1. It is literally the only thing that is worse than self-hammering as town.

First of all, the lynch is the ONLY thing that is guaranteed to be in the hands of a town. Barring multiball/setup shenanigans, there are always more town than scum in an active game, and town players will have more votes than scum players. So as a whole, the town controls a lynch.

In contrast, night play generally favors scum. The scum get to nightkill. There are often foils to protown power roles (Mafia Roleblockers, Godfathers, etc.). Even protown abilities can wind up hurting the town (like when a vigilante shoots four protown players in four nights).

Giving up your lynches literally hands extra nightkills to the scums.

By extension, No Lynching on
Day One
means:
1) Your first night of actions is a series of completely blind actions. This is BAD. Playing a role correctly is a talent, and you give away your ability to play your role correctly for an ENTIRE Day/Night cycle.
2) Your D2 lynch will be uneducated. Yes, there will be results from a scum nightkill and possibly an investigative result. But unless the investigative result is claimed, nobody will know anything, so they're still playing blindly. A D2 lynch after a D1 No-Lynch is almost as random and inaccurate as a D1 lynch.
3) As mentioned before, you're handing a living player to the scums. A town should seek to use every advantage it possibly can, and going into D2 with no bandwagons and a dead protown player is just bad strategy.
4) If a moderator designs a setup for a Day Start, you should assume that the setup is balanced for a Day Start. While assuming moderator competence is not always safe (Blood Bowl Mafia, anyone?), it's a good baseline. Letting the game "start" with night unbalances the setup, and probably NOT in your favor.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Post by Staeg »

Well - if the numbers don't favor it, then give them the numbers. Make them think. If they don't listen, I'm not sure why are you still playing there. If the numbers do favor a nolynch (well, don't not favor it... or something), I guess that it's not THE worst idea, but you can try the other things mentioned in-thread.
sa vrede?
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

On another forum we kind of had this problem. It was more players were too lazy to move their votes? I tried a mechanic where our IRC dicebot would randomly lynch someone if there wasn't a majority. The town suggested letting the dicebot choose Day 1 because it always selects scum (and it did so ??? )
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Om of the Nom
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Om of the Nom
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Post by Om of the Nom »

I thought it was common knowledge on there that Keine-tan is the best mafia player?
“Leftover lady, let alone the strongest to be subdued.
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to the plateau of the highest me.
Even though I’ve been badly bruised, living in a house to become a popular muse.”

hey beautiful ! how was your day ?
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

There are times when no-lynching is the correct option. It's generally not on Day 1. However, if I'm convinced the people with the highest wagons are all town, I'd rather see a no lynch than a town person fall. That's very situational, though, and very rarely am I that confident in a read.
Permanent V/LA.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun May 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Post by UberNinja »

I tend to think it's a bad idea because it gives scum a head start, plus even though you get information from the night kill flips, there's literally no chance of scum dying (unless it's a game with two scum factions).

Those should both be good enough reasons to lynch someone Day 1.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon May 14, 2012 5:06 am

Post by callforjudgement »

The meta in some real-life games I played was for policy lynches based on stupid reasons day 1, which is nowhere near as bad as a no-lynch, but still quite bad. (We eventually fixed it by adding a jester to the setup for a while; people had learned how to play day 1 better by the time we removed it again.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon May 14, 2012 7:34 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 7, kuribo wrote:Basically, if you don't lynch day 1, you can't analyze the wagons on day 2.

IE, if scum gets lynched day 1, you can try to look at the wagon and figure out who was bussing / who was avoiding the wagon.
If town gets lynched day 1, you can try to figure out who was pushing it.

If you no-lynch Day 1, then the scum kills someone Night 1, and you still don't have wagons to analyze on Day 2.

This.
Retired as of October 2014.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon May 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Post by Amrun »

In post 14, Mastermind of Sin wrote:There are times when no-lynching is the correct option. It's generally not on Day 1. However, if I'm convinced the people with the highest wagons are all town, I'd rather see a no lynch than a town person fall. That's very situational, though, and very rarely am I that confident in a read.

Even in that situation, showing everyone that you're right on Day 1 so they can re-orient their reads rather than revisit the same thing AGAIN is still much better.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue May 15, 2012 4:51 am

Post by Magua »

Even if you think both the wagons on D1 are town, if you no lynch, chances are really, really, really, really, really high that they'll simply be the wagons again D2.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue May 15, 2012 5:02 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 19, Magua wrote:Even if you think both the wagons on D1 are town, if you no lynch, chances are really, really, really, really, really high that they'll simply be the wagons again D2.

As a corollary, this is why it is (very) occasionally the right move to deadline self-hammer as town.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue May 15, 2012 8:47 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Although it's a better move to deadline hammer someone else, if there's any chance of doing so.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Dillon90
Dillon90
Watcher
Dillon90
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 am

Post by Dillon90 »

Jokerman-EXE caused a no-lynch, a bad move by any standard. Then he went and tried to spin it as a protown thing while at the same time saying it wasn't intentional.
Last edited by Dillon90 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Leafsnail
Leafsnail
Goon
Leafsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:05 am

Post by Leafsnail »

Thanks for the update
hp [leaves]
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:29 am

Post by hp [leaves] »

Well, Tarhalindur's Babylon 5 Mafia had a role that won and ended the game if any day ended in a No Lynch. Brutal; but there were never any no lynches after that point in any Tar game
We must embrace the pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”