Ethics: Codes

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:13 pm

Post by VisMaior »

I think codes are a valid strategy. Sometimes codes are best play, (like, for instance, masons clearing each other) sometimes not (doc roleencoding or somesuch). I think mods should not discoursge players doing it if they wish. I compare it to any other strategy they do. like, one might think scum lynching each other might be a bad strategy, or suboptimal play, yet, the actual scum players have to decide if they do it or not (noone wuold even think about disallowing that one). I would feel disallowing codeing would place an unnatural and unnecessary limit on the players.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:29 am

Post by VisMaior »

Not really. I have yet to see a game that got broken because of a code.
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:10 am

Post by VisMaior »

I dont really see how it is game-breaking tough. I think if it would people would use it extensively. And if they would, mafia would look for the clues. And then it would be like a massclaim, with no ordering. and that favors the mafia...
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #15 (isolation #3) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:13 am

Post by VisMaior »

You assume people use RSA in a forum game. Good luck with your sanity check.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #19 (isolation #4) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:35 am

Post by VisMaior »

I guess if an RSA program would be widely available just for this, yea. But as is, I dont think this is a real problem.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #20 (isolation #5) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:36 am

Post by VisMaior »

Well, you dont need RSA either, some simple XOR would work just as well.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #22 (isolation #6) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:50 am

Post by VisMaior »

I mean you dont need public keyt encription, a ymmetric encription will do just as well. XOR beeing the most simple and also the most effective (unbreakable by any means, no less), It never occured to me I should mention other ones...

I agree that if this arises, it should be banned. Or, alternatively, scum should get some indication as to what kind of flavor they should claim. Or something. Safeclaims even.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #23 (isolation #7) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:52 am

Post by VisMaior »

If I modded a game where this would come up, Id just delete/alter the encrypted post to some gibberish. Heh, thatd be some bastardy :)
cop:"here is the key, just decrypt to see Im the cop"
people:*decryptdecrypt* Err, no, its still gibberish.
cop: "wha? WTF? OMGHAX!"
people: "ORLY?" *lynchlynch*
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #26 (isolation #8) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:16 am

Post by VisMaior »

If I'm not mistaken, with XOR encryption, you can make up a key afterward that turns the encrypted post into absolutely any message you want.
Right, but not if you have a password of minimal length (like, 8 chars or so) and repeat the word over and over. No real problem, people using a key as long as the messge iotself are claiming false.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #29 (isolation #9) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:51 am

Post by VisMaior »

Vigenère, no, I dont mean that. Exclusive-OR, thats what I mean.

For every bit in the encrypted data we take the appropriate bit in the ley. If Keybit(n)==1, we invert the textbit. Otherwise we do nothing.

Basically, its a bitwise XOR operation between the text and the key. Unbreakable without the key, as the information in every bit of the text is exactly half a bit. No correlatiopn whatsoever with the next bit. With short keys repetitively added it shows some degree of vulnerability, wich is actually dispatched quiet easily, but for the purposes of a forum game, it should proove unbreakable even so.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”