EnPaceRequiescat
EnPaceRequiescat
Goon
EnPaceRequiescat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:07 pm

Post by EnPaceRequiescat »

Hey... I think coolbot made an important observation on calvin's imagination versus real characeters. under that, god's rule has a smaller margin size (as gnome is more suspicious, so we have a larger chance of catching scum). And with god's latest quote of modargo, I think modargo is very likely an ally of MGIA. And remember Polar Boy's post on how masons are not as important, and therefore may not be as high priority. The mafia could easily go back later to kill gnome, and they also know that if gnome is a role blocker and follows god's plan, they will not be role blocked.

so,
vote: modargo for his subtle protections of MGIA

and I'd also note that modargo was anti-rule before, perhaps trying to draw our attention away from them? But it is important to note that carefully used rules can be beneficial for the town, such as picking out dangerous loopholes like those in MGIA's.
freak with short term memory
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:02 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

That's a little paranoid, En Pace, I believe mordargo and Gnome. Why don't we try to focus on revealing Dad right now?
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:11 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

However, I want to test Gnome's role block ability, and I still want doc protection tonight.
So no doc protection on Gnome, he "blocks" my ability. If it gets blocked, so be it. This still does no ensure that the aliens(mafia) cannot block rather than kill.
Ahem, cops?
God
God
Goon
God
Goon
Goon

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:19 am

Post by God »

UT wrote:That's a little paranoid, En Pace, I believe mordargo and Gnome. Why don't we try to focus on revealing Dad right now?
We shouldnt reveal any more possibly pro-town roles unless necessary, since the night plan will either confirm or have Gnome dead by the morning, we dont need Dad to come out.
UT wrote:This still does no ensure that the aliens(mafia) cannot block rather than kill.
Where have you ever seen role-blocking mafia members before? and why would they role-block if they could kill?
"Still looking for one, heh" Dragon Phoenix, inside the 2nd DP9 Modprod.
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Hell if I gnome

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:34 am

Post by Mr_Gnome_It_All »

I think UT either meant "confirm Dad" or "reveal Mom" Since, like I have said and will say again, I am Dad. So, if he meant confirm Dad, that's fine (and what were trying to find the best way to do). But if he meant reveal Mom, like God said, that's a bad idea.
korais666
korais666
there is no hound
korais666
there is no hound
there is no hound

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:16 am

Post by korais666 »

Wow, three pages in two days...

unvote: gnome

The issue with this plan is that although gnome (or some random person, or whatever) won't get killed by UT, the mafia can still hit whoever they want. I feel that UT and gnome have been willing enough to find a plan that works for the town. Unless they're REALLY good mafiosos, they probably aren't lying.

Instead of focusing so hard on how to prove hobbes and dad are really hobbes and dad, shouldn't we be finding out who the mafia actually is? Then maybe the parents and hobbes wouldn't have to waste a night choice, and could try hitting the mafia instead?
Holy crap, I forgot this site existed.
-Me, 2/25/08
EnPaceRequiescat
EnPaceRequiescat
Goon
EnPaceRequiescat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:17 am

Post by EnPaceRequiescat »

what else do we have to go on to end the day? I guess we could check on gnome tonight with the plan, and then check modargo later. i just felt that god's post was convincing.
freak with short term memory
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:39 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Yeah, God is making a lot of sense.
I mean confirm dad, sorry to cause undue confusion.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:13 pm

Post by mathcam »

I'm just going to lob this out there: Does anyone think that maybe the lack of effort put into designing this game means role-revelation is appropriate. Think about it: There's probably not too much subtlety into which roles are good and which are evil. If we all reveal our roles (say, in a random order), we'll nail anyone who duplicates a role and then we can lynch from all the suspicious claims.

Not, of course, that this is really still mafia, but I play to win and I think this might be a good idea.

Cam
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:39 pm

Post by Werebear »

I can securely say that some roles are more out-landish than others. *laughs*
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
--Wacky, HHGG3 - Life, The Universe, and Everything mafia
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:10 pm

Post by mlaker »

I have kind of skimmed the last pages but anyway:
As the people look around they are confused and scared. It seems only a few understand this game. So suddenly out of the sky a fork comes spinning down and destroys the Calvinball!
Ca;vinball is officially over! The town decides to then just use the mob justice! Continue.
God
God
Goon
God
Goon
Goon

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:52 pm

Post by God »

Spinning sky forks always seem to ruin my fun nowadays.
Mathcam : Are you saying that Spaceman Spliff or the Calvin clone were predictable roles?

I don't know the comics THAT well, but i have never seen either of them.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:09 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Uhh, Spaceman Spiff was predictable, Calvin Clone was not (I know the strips pretty well)
Scalebane
Scalebane
Goon
Scalebane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:57 am

Post by Scalebane »

actually, if you read the game over at news (which it seems that mlaker has) then you would know that calvin clone was a predictable role.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Well since I entered that game towards the end as an evil snowman and was nightkilled that night.... no I didn't.
God
God
Goon
God
Goon
Goon

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:30 am

Post by God »

Alright then, so they weren't predictable to ME :P
Could I get a link to the news version of C+H mafia if its not too much trouble?
ZONEACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:34 am

Post by ZONEACE »

here you are god
http://forums.mtgnews.com/showthread.ph ... did=149104

thats the MTGnews game
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:47 am

Post by PolarBoy »

If we're going to talk about what roles are predictable, Spaceman Spiff appeared in loads of strips, and Calvin must've cloned himself at least once a year(Once he did it five times in one strip).

But let's please please PLEASE not talk about which roles we think are plausible. Least of all in a game based on Calvin and Hobbes, even less so in a game that opened with Calvinball. That's wrong on more levels than I care to describe.
Tigris
Tigris
Goon
Tigris
Goon
Goon

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:01 am

Post by Tigris »

(Okay PB no more posting like I talk occasionally ^_^) Oh and I agree about not talking about what roles are possible, make the mafia get their roles from somewhere else.

Anyhows, this is slightly embarassing to say, but I'm not sure that I fully understand the plans in regard to dad and hobbes. :oops: But, since there is a plan, I hope that it works properly.

Oh and shelper, as to why a vigilante might think they targeted the godfather if their target didn't die. Okay, so let's say I'm a vigilante, I will not kill someone unless I find them suspicious enough to be almost positive they are scum. They don't die, so one of three possibilities
1) They are the godfather and thus usually immune to night kills.
2) A doc protected them, which would irritate me greatly as if I think they are suspicious enought to try to kill, then they should be suspicious enough that someone shouldn't protect them
3) I was role-blocked (usually a fairly distant possibility in my mind)
Leonidas
Leonidas
Mafia Scum
Leonidas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:03 am

Post by Leonidas »

Sorry for the LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOONNGG delay !

HAPPY NEW YEAR, I'm back, and I have a lot to read.

(Catching up. Fast.)
[i]"Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." [/i]
God
God
Goon
God
Goon
Goon

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:41 am

Post by God »

I know this was mentioned before, but i never caught a response, who are you replacing PB? If you are replacing anyone.
bloojay
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
bloojay
The Other Blue Meat
The Other Blue Meat

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:47 am

Post by bloojay »

Finally! I can post again without haveing to read though rules over and over!
mepmuff: I don't know what to make of the Peacebringer news story.
sycko999: Mabye PB is really ugly...-Suburbia Mafia
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:32 am

Post by PolarBoy »

I'm not replacing anyone. My name not being on the player list is probably a mod oversight.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:36 am

Post by modargo »

I dislike the idea of a mass roleclaim this early. We can use the probable structure of the game to our advantage, but I think we need to have more information before that's actually feasible.

So, I'm suspicious of EnPaceRequiescat. Part of it is his eagerness to vote for me, for what (as far as I can tell) is no actual reason. A while back he voted for me because my rule my rule had a flaw -- people could "choose to ignore your rule and follow other rules... it just makes following rules annoying." The first half of that little quote there was part of the point of my rule; the second is completely false.
After that, he jumped back onto the Gnome bandwagon just before Gnome roleclaimed, unvoted afterward, didn't really participate in the debate over what plan to follow, and then made this post:
At the top of page 7, EnPaceRequiescat wrote:Hey... I think coolbot made an important observation on calvin's imagination versus real characeters. under that, god's rule has a smaller margin size (as gnome is more suspicious, so we have a larger chance of catching scum). And with god's latest quote of modargo, I think modargo is very likely an ally of MGIA. And remember Polar Boy's post on how masons are not as important, and therefore may not be as high priority. The mafia could easily go back later to kill gnome, and they also know that if gnome is a role blocker and follows god's plan, they will not be role blocked.

so,
vote: modargo for his subtle protections of MGIA
and I'd also note that modargo was anti-rule before, perhaps trying to draw our attention away from them? But it is important to note that carefully used rules can be beneficial for the town, such as picking out dangerous loopholes like those in MGIA's.
Now, if you read over that post once, you might think that there's some actual reasoning there. But then if you read over it again, you realize that his argument is "modargo is trying to protect Gnome. Therefore, modargo is an ally of Gnome. Therefore, we should vote for modargo."
Now, maybe it's just me, but I don't see how he supports that reasoning at all in his post other than just saying it, and I also don't see why you would even follow that reasoning. In the same breath, you're saying that Gnome is suspicious but we should test him, and that everyone should vote for someone who could be his ally? If you find Gnome so suspicious that you want to vote for people who could be Gnome's allies, why wouldn't you vote for Gnome? And more importantly, if you're uncertain enough about Gnome that you want to let him live long enough to be tested, why would you vote for someone because they are "very likely an ally of MGIA"?

Basically, either you think Gnome is suspicious enough that we should lynch him and people who could be his allies; or you think that there's enough of a chance that Gnome is innocent that we should leave him alive to test, which implies that there's no reason to lynch people who are "very likely an ally of MGIA" until MGIA himself is tested. And whichever way it is, it's a contradiction between your rhetoric and your actions.

It looks to me like he just posted a bunch of random agreements with Coolbot, God, and PolarBoy, and then tried to start a bandwagon on me, using whatever reasons he could come up with. Most likely because he thought people would be eager to jump on someone who was disagreeing with the majority about what plan to follow.

Thus,
vote: EnPaceRequiescat

Also, I'd like to note that my arguing in favor of Gnome was in no way subtle. I argued for a plan that would produce better results if Gnome is innocent because (gasp)... wait for it...
I think Gnome is innocent
. It seems to me that if he were scum, he would have done a number of things differently (probably starting with not claiming a role that could be viewed as antitown, and not claiming something as rare (or testable) as a roleblocking mason group). But anyway, just in case that somehow wasn't clear before, I'm stating it clearly here.

Directed to the Mod: I'd like to see a vote count. I'd also like to know the following: Who PolarBoy replaced and why it isn't noted in the first post (he isn't on the list in the signup thread either); if tehgood is still in the game; and if Leonidas is still in the game (I assume so, but he's still made only one post).
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:39 am

Post by PolarBoy »

This is highly embarrasing. I'm not actually playing in this game. This explains a lot of things, like how I never received a role. The only reason that didn't clue me in is that I asked mlaker about it and he didn't respond, so I figured townies didn't receive a role. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”