Title Fairy: Abuse of Mooglepower!

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:58 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Oh Prozac
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:00 am

Post by JDodge »

Porochaz wrote:
MagnaofIllusion wrote:Ah look how cute that Izzy brought in her friends from scum-chat to support that title that Untrod didn't want ...
Hi.

In other news, the other scumchat titles had context, this one doesn't.
it has plenty of context, it happened in a game that was played as a team by members of the community
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 am

Post by Porochaz »

I met CDB once in a caravan park, we passed by, recognized each other and high fived so
I nominate CDB for Five Go Off in a Caravan
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:20 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Have you seen his sigs? Doesn't that scream "fat and sassy"?
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:31 am

Post by JDodge »

Porochaz wrote:I met CDB once in a caravan park, we passed by, recognized each other and high fived so
ok, if we're not counting things that are off-site, then I would like to note that now Cay (came from scumchat), mole (came from an incident on the GL), and Xyl (based on his running the IRC-bot) should be stripped of their titles.

titles are a community thing, this is something that happened between a not-insignificant number of the members of the community, get over it

the recent trend towards anal-retentive title enforcement is ridiculous, get over yourselves
stream

Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:44 am

Post by Chevre »

Oman's Title Fairy Policy, Section 2 wrote:A title is designed to be an informal representation of a user's personality and individuality. It is also a badge of honour that the title-holder has become an individual within the community, valued by his or her peers. A title should be something that user is recognised by, including a lasting appeal, not a quickly waning fad. In layman's terms, one should say "Yup, that is User X alright!".
It should be easily accessible to all people
, with wittiness/humour being a benefit.
The bolded part, mostly.

As for your examples:
- Even crywolf20084 herself has gone to using her title (her tengaged is "CAYKE," for example)
- mole's is really quite ancient. Maybe it should changed.
- Xylthixlm's bot is recognized sitewide; he shared with us, as well as posting a list of roles in MD, allowing for much discussion. And considering Xylthixlm hasn't visited the site since before the server switch, it's really quite irrelevant.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:57 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:Have you seen his sigs? Doesn't that scream "fat and sassy"?
No.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
crywolf20084
crywolf20084
Cayke
crywolf20084
Cayke
Cayke

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:09 am

Post by crywolf20084 »

Prozac, and everyone else for that matter, my title doesn't have context that anyone can find. It happened in scumchat almost 2 years ago. It was me JD and Kscope and prolly a bunch of others. Fuck if any of us remember
exactly
what happened anymore. It happened amongst other scummers, and it was funny.

I went to using it because I liked the name. Most people here don't even know me by crywolf20084 anymore. they all know me as cayke. But I agree with JD. if UT cannot have fat and sassy, then my title should be stripped, and I'll continue to go by a name that is no longer linked to my account.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

GlorkTheInvader: GET UP ONTO SEXY ROSS'S BACK
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:11 am

Post by shaft.ed »

I think the problem is you guys jumped the gun. You need to do some preemptive meme generation sitewide prior to titular copulation
crywolf20084
crywolf20084
Cayke
crywolf20084
Cayke
Cayke

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:14 am

Post by crywolf20084 »

that didn't happen for cayke shaft.ed

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:17 am

Post by shaft.ed »

crywolf20084 wrote:that didn't happen for cayke shaft.ed
you're going to need to cite sources for this. Titles are serious business
crywolf20084
crywolf20084
Cayke
crywolf20084
Cayke
Cayke

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:25 am

Post by crywolf20084 »

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:26 am

Post by JDodge »

shaft.ed wrote:
i think the real issue is that we forgot form HJ-7B :(
stream

Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon
Location: Welcome to Silent Hill (The living's in the way we die)

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 am

Post by Bella »

Porochaz wrote:
MagnaofIllusion wrote:Ah look how cute that Izzy brought in her friends from scum-chat to support that title that Untrod didn't want ...
Hi.

It does. There's a story behind the origin. It has amused members of the community. It has it's genesis within the Mafiascum community, even off site. It has moved beyond the initial group who were involved - it spread to other people who've played LoL with us since the initial incident. It has moved into the general scumchat population - CES has never played LoL to the best of my knowledge. It fits who he is and how he behaves. It is something that makes him stand out from the community. There is nobody who more exemplifies Fat and Sassy than UT.

It's a good title. Better than a lot of the ones that have been suggested.
Show
Chloroform girl, how have you been?
Don't let me catch you sleeping again
You're only alive because I like you
It's been three years since you've seen the sunlight
But I know you're having fun
Bound, gagged and chained up in my basement
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:36 am

Post by shaft.ed »

it's funny cause with the Cayke nomination Poro was all "I don't get it" but none of the rabble backed him up. This time he doesn't get it, but there are torches and pitchforks to carry!
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:56 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

JDodge wrote:
Porochaz wrote:
it has plenty of context, it happened in a game that was played as a team by
an extreme minority of
members of the community
Fixed.

Actually, I have no objection to UT's title. I don't get it, but if he's happy with it and it was made in good faith, then whatever. JD's fanatical absolutism bugs me though. However this isn't the time or place to discuss it.
Porochaz wrote:I met CDB once in a caravan park, we passed by, recognized each other and high fived so
Seco--..

Oh-ho! You're being sarcastic! You mean the exact opposite!
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 am

Post by JDodge »

Kublai Khan wrote:
JDodge wrote:
Porochaz wrote:
it has plenty of context, it happened in a game that was played as a team by
an extreme minority of
members of the community
Fixed.

Actually, I have no objection to UT's title. I don't get it, but if he's happy with it and it was made in good faith, then whatever. JD's fanatical absolutism bugs me though. However this isn't the time or place to discuss it.
no, it's not an extreme minority, especially in title terms

you have to realize that a lot of titles are about defining incidents, i doubt anyone knows the reason whatsoever behind "accept it" except for me and oman and perhaps a few people who were around back then, its context is also within "an extreme minority", are are mole's and cay's

great titles don't happen through strict, anal-retentive interpretations of the rules, they happen organically when members of the community decide that a moment is important enough to badge someone with it
stream

Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:28 am

Post by Oman »

JDodge wrote:
ok, if we're not counting things that are off-site, then I would like to note that now Cay (came from scumchat), mole (came from an incident on the GL), and Xyl (based on his running the IRC-bot) should be stripped of their titles.

titles are a community thing, this is something that happened between a not-insignificant number of the members of the community, get over it

the recent trend towards anal-retentive title enforcement is ridiculous, get over yourselves
The trend prior to that of "fuck it yeah, titles for all" is worse, considering. The anal-retentive enforcement I brought in was a response to the sheer amount of stupid nominations that were coming up, and I think title culture is better off for it. Arguing for this title is cool, but by lashing out against the system, you're coming off like if you don't get your way the system
must
be broken. I also don't think that it was a "not insignificant number" at all. What are we talking in LoL? 3? 5?

Finally, these title situations you cite while they did not originate on site made a significant impact on site. Also splitting hairs on early GL mafia and MS is kinda silly.
JDodge wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:
i think the real issue is that we forgot form HJ-7B :(
If the HJ stands for hand job, damn right!

Look, I don't dig the title, it doesn't make any sense to me, and when I asked for context I was given "that's just how he rolls on LoL". Someone (Bella? Forgive me for not looking it up) attempted to reverse engineer it to games etc, which is a lot closer to the mark. I just honestly think this title doesn't have the opportunity for non-LoL members (or more significantly, members who weren't on when that joke was made, regardless of whether they play later) to relate to it. The example I'd like to cite here is Drench's, right? It was a scumchat thing, Drench had a crush on Cayke, but it hardly made it to the site. It was a cute little thing that we all adored or were sickened by. My point is that people on the site can go "cool, Drench had a crush on crywolf, all over that shit", but with this if someone asks "That's just how he rolls on LoL" where do you start putting that in context?

I guess I look at it this way. If I linked to the game, or the chatlogs, or the explanation in thread, and put a little spiel next the name on the "Titles" wiki page, would people still laugh six months from now? Hell, it's been a week and I'm still floundering to contextualise it. Is it the champion he picks? Or does he block lanes? I don't get it.

I want you guys to know that I am really considering this and noting your concerns on either side. If I thought it was all too annoying I'd just give in at this point and give the title (because frankly Jdodge will annoy me more than Chaz will), or I'd just say no (because it's less work for me and Flaydog). Instead I'm going to actually hear this one out and really make an informed decision, even if only because I have a feeling Jdodge will be using
this one
as a precedent next.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:45 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

:Goodposting:

In other news I think we literally have an assload (yes, I gathered them up and put them on a scale. They match exactly the carrying capacity of a donkey) of older titles that I think are due for final dispensation either way. Conversation has pretty much run the course on them and having them either finalized or officially rejected is a good move, IMO.

Oman, could you please make this the focus of your next round of Title Fairy work?
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:47 am

Post by Porochaz »

Are we going to be seeing you play LoL in a year or two's time, is there going to be a subforum or is the thread still going to be there? or is it a passing thing like Conquer club or Farragomate and will fall into obscurity in a few weeks/months time? Fact is, that scumchat regardless of what people say is at the very least associated with the site. Things that happen there can affect what happens here, especially a couple of years ago. However things that happen outwith scumchat or meets etc. shouldn't be considered. The point of the title should be to be able to associate it from something on site. Associating it with the site because people from the chat are playing a game outwith the site is stretching it a bit thin and the fact you won't be playing it as majorly in however long means that the title becomes quickly irrelevant.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:54 am

Post by Oman »

Will do, MoI, mate. Currently out of the house and it's ANZAC Day on my horizon. But as soon as I have an hour to trawl through bullshit that was that last thread, I'm in.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:26 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

It seems to me that most titles are inside jokes about games that happened in the past that I will absolutely never read. There's an appreciable difference between that and a title that refers to an inside joke on scumchat? Right.

Titles: not that big of a deal.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:35 am

Post by JDodge »

Oman wrote:
JDodge wrote:

The trend prior to that of "fuck it yeah, titles for all" is worse, considering. The anal-retentive enforcement I brought in was a response to the sheer amount of stupid nominations that were coming up, and I think title culture is better off for it. Arguing for this title is cool, but by lashing out against the system, you're coming off like if you don't get your way the system
must
be broken. I also don't think that it was a "not insignificant number" at all. What are we talking in LoL? 3? 5?

Finally, these title situations you cite while they did not originate on site made a significant impact on site. Also splitting hairs on early GL mafia and MS is kinda silly.
I would argue that Xyl's mafia bot has not made a significant impact on the site, nor has a game on the GL ages ago.

What we're talking about for LoL is not 3-5 people. My current MS friends list from LoL includes Izzy, MoS, Cay, UT, Buttons, Nuwen, hito, pops, bev, Fate, scot, peg, quadz, Cyberbob, IH, and Shanba. Not including myself, that is 16 people - which is about the same as the normal scumchat contingent about the time Cay got her title. Furthermore, if we assume most everyone who's posted in the DoTA/LoL thread anything about LoL can get the context based on the description provided below, the number increases substantially.
Oman wrote:Look, I don't dig the title, it doesn't make any sense to me, and when I asked for context I was given "that's just how he rolls on LoL".
You are an arbiter, you are not the title dictator. Your job is to mediate, and to prevent dispute. You are getting in the way of the community as a whole and turning titles into a "what Oman wants" process.
I don't give a shit about a what Oman wants process. I give a shit about a community process.

Oman wrote:Someone (Bella? Forgive me for not looking it up) attempted to reverse engineer it to games etc, which is a lot closer to the mark. I just honestly think this title doesn't have the opportunity for non-LoL members (or more significantly, members who weren't on when that joke was made, regardless of whether they play later) to relate to it.
How are non-back in the day GL members supposed to relate to mole's title?

How are non-back in the day scumchat members supposed to relate to Cay's title?

How are non-IRC players supposed to relate to Xyl's title?

How are people who weren't around back when we were trying to force NK-Immune Miller Vig for you going to relate to my title?

Given that fact, I ask that my title be removed if this policy is to be enforced, as A) I don't wish to be branded by an overly-authoritarian process and B) it falls on the wrong side of said policy.
Oman wrote: The example I'd like to cite here is Drench's, right? It was a scumchat thing, Drench had a crush on Cayke, but it hardly made it to the site. It was a cute little thing that we all adored or were sickened by. My point is that people on the site can go "cool, Drench had a crush on crywolf, all over that shit", but with this if someone asks "That's just how he rolls on LoL" where do you start putting that in context?
It can be explained fairly easily, actually. Nobody has bothered to give a sufficient explanation.

On LoL, the character UT played almost exclusively when he was starting out was Cho'gath. Cho has an ability where he gains HP and his model grows as you eat minions (and enemy champions). The ongoing joke was UT noting how he was/was getting "fat and sassy" as time went on over the course of the game.
Oman wrote:I guess I look at it this way. If I linked to the game, or the chatlogs, or the explanation in thread, and put a little spiel next the name on the "Titles" wiki page, would people still laugh six months from now? Hell, it's been a week and I'm still floundering to contextualise it. Is it the champion he picks? Or does he block lanes? I don't get it.
Do people still laugh at my title? Your title? Mole's title? Cay's title? Xyl's title? I don't think that matters at all, it's not about providing a little joke underneath people's usernames.
Oman wrote:I want you guys to know that I am really considering this and noting your concerns on either side. If I thought it was all too annoying I'd just give in at this point and give the title (because frankly Jdodge will annoy me more than Chaz will), or I'd just say no (because it's less work for me and Flaydog). Instead I'm going to actually hear this one out and really make an informed decision, even if only because I have a feeling Jdodge will be using
this one
as a precedent next.
If
you personally
shoot this down despite the support for it, I'm done with the title system, because it's quite obvious that the power
you shouldn't have to begin with
has gone to your head.
stream

Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:43 am

Post by Porochaz »

I think we could describe you with the words Accept it. If we apply the same rules that are applied here for a LoL title there would it go through, I don't think so.

The point is not to provide a laugh but it is meant to be a small one liner about something that defines them here and from my point of view UT has been nowhere near fat or sassy enough to warrant that title here.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:44 am

Post by Drench »

Drench had a crush on Cayke