Newbie 993 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
steppenwolf
steppenwolf
Townie
steppenwolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:44 am

Post by steppenwolf »

/confirm
steppenwolf
steppenwolf
Townie
steppenwolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (isolation #1) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:11 am

Post by steppenwolf »

Leech wrote:Vote: Mysterio for being the first person to post in the thread.
Leech wrote:Voting for less-likely reasons are one thing, but you should never vote for something completely ridiculous.
Now this is just plain silly.
steppenwolf
steppenwolf
Townie
steppenwolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (isolation #2) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Post by steppenwolf »

Leech wrote:
steppenwolf wrote:Now this is just plain silly.
Did you intentionally take that statement out of context and misrep me?
Leech wrote:You never have to random vote, in fact that is completely counter-productive.
You should always have a reason for your vote, period. I voted for a pretty ridiculous reason, but it was a reason none-the-less. I will actually defend my vote, as well.
The discussion that stems from votes with reason, are much more informative than votes that are cast from "random" reasons. I'd much rather see a defense of "Oh, well, my reasoning was flawed so I changed my opinion" rather than "It was just a random vote" which leaves it at that.
Voting for less-likely reasons are one thing, but you should never vote for something completely ridiculous.
That just makes the game take longer to start.
I stated, in the paragraph you got that quote from, that my reason was "pretty ridiculous", and it is. While Incog's theory did work 50% of the time, it was also wrong 50% of the time. So while it is statistically better than random voting, I still wouldn't actually lynch for that reason.
I had a response typed out to this, but then read further and saw your explanation of Incognito's theory, of which I knew nothing. Ok, I'll concede that you had a reason for your vote, even though the theory still sounds silly and not remotely convincing.
steppenwolf
steppenwolf
Townie
steppenwolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (isolation #3) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Post by steppenwolf »

Leech wrote:That's what happens when you try to make something out of a random vote. It's ridiculously easy to kill the entire point with a single sentance and end the conversation.

If you can find an early reason, may not be the best reason in the world but a reason nonetheless, to vote for someone that you can actually defend it's far more productive. Trying to make something out of a completely random vote is nearly impossible. Trying to make something out of a vote that actually has a chance of being true, results to discussion that actually relates to the game.
Ok, I have to agree with the point about random voting.

Just a passing thought, though: If you always vote for the first person to post in every game, how can I really make anything out of that? I assume you're going to follow Incognito's theory whether you're scum or town. So, just as Hinduragi can conveniently answer any questions with a terse "it was just a random vote," you too can brush aside any questions/criticism by saying "it's just Incognito's theory."
steppenwolf
steppenwolf
Townie
steppenwolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #88 (isolation #4) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 am

Post by steppenwolf »

startransmission wrote:For the love of God, the wall o texts are ridiculous. Let me read up and I'll offer some opinions.
Agreed. I'm falling way behind. I'm not even sure what you people could possibly be discussing that would warrant such lengthy posts. :? It's only day 1, for god's sake.
steppenwolf
steppenwolf
Townie
steppenwolf
Townie
Townie

Post Post #95 (isolation #5) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Post by steppenwolf »

Leech wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:It's only day 1, for god's sake.
I'd love for anyone to explain to me how that's relevant. I have never seen such resistance to actually having discussion before this game. Yes, it's day 1, it doesn't have to be wasted. We don't have to have a RVS/RQS. Get this guys...we can jump right into the game! Imagine that. I find it odd how most people hate the RVS/RQS and look for ways around it, so we have game that leaves the RVS at the end of the first page, and people apparently don't want to discuss on day 1. Very, very strange phenomena.
It's relevant because not all days are created equal. I assume the depth and vigor of a day's discussion is predicated on the available information. On day 1 we have virtually zero information. With each passing day (and death), we'll have more information and thus much more to discuss. All we can really do today is force people to post often and observe their interactions. I'm sure that'll be useful to analyze after we've had a lynch and/or nightkill.
Hinduragi wrote: Steppen -
What's your opinion on things so far? Who do you think seems scummiest? I find it odd that you posted one short reply and then left us.
Well, umm, I think we can conclude that Mysterio and Leech probably aren't both scum. I don't think two scum would pick apart each other's posts like that. That's my gut feeling.

To be honest, I've skimmed through most of Mysterio's/Leech's posts. I've paid a bit more attention to Leech because he and I had a few direct exchanges. His approach is fairly aggressive--sometimes it felt like he was just being contrarian. I honestly think this stems from a sincere attempt to encourage discussion, though.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”