More Leeway for Normal Flavor

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

More Leeway for Normal Flavor

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:03 am

Post by Ythill »

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or Site Ideas...

As a mod who likes creative writing, I find the rule requiring normals to be mafia/werewolf flavored to be too restrictive. I'm not saying that we should allow themes (books, movies, etc) in the normal forum or expand the
amount
of flavor that's typical there, but I'd really like more leeway in storytelling. If the consensus is that flavor in normals shouldn't be game relevant, then I really don't understand why it needs to be so strictly limited. Here's some examples...

A story about 12 treasure hunters in which three of them have made a pact to kill off the others and split the loot. The tale of a New England town infiltrated by a coven of witches. The story of a deep-space crew being attacked by doppleganger aliens. A game about an army recon team trying to find the traitors in their midst. Etcetera. Keep in mind that I'm only talking about lynch/death scene flavor and
maybe
generic role names (with measures taken to prevent them from affecting the game). I'm strictly suggesting original material, not themes based on pop-/sub-culture.

One of the reasons I was inspired to ask about this is that the /invitationals and marathon days have shown that people want to run games in that middle ground, but that there isn't really a place for it on our current forums. I think that giving mods more creative leeway will improve the reading experience without any drawbacks. Thoughts?
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #35 (isolation #1) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Post by Ythill »

Sweet. Lots of responses.
mith wrote:Newbie Games are off-limits for anything but Mafia flavor.
Agreed 100%.
mith wrote:There have to be boundaries, and they need to be reasonably well defined - original material based in a common and well-known genre might be ok; Fuwochichi vs. the Sandwich Army, not so much.
Disagree. I think that if the basic idea is that players should be able to skip the flavor entirely and still play the game, then it doesn't really matter what's written there. I do think that specific themes (non-original material, where knowledge of the theme could be a factor) should stay in the theme queues. If you want to impose a limit on subject matter, the best way to do it IMO is to have each mod submit a brief statement about the flavor (example: Gypsies have infiltrated a carnival.) with his/her setup.
Mith wrote:All flavor should be public (no role PM flavor that could be claimed, for example). That would have to include role names, and I'm not sure whether it would make more sense to say "no flavor in roles, period" or have the option of role name flavor if it's open (i.e. the OP/rules post lists "Alien = Mafia, Space Explorer = Townie, etc." for all possible roles).
Mostly agreed. The only problem is that if a mod wants to use a unique role of his own creation (within current guidelines) it would be pretty obvious on a list of all possible roles and players would not be able to try fake-claiming a unique or rare role that wasn't on the list. It might be better to have the information publically
available
but not posted, meaning that any player can ask for a doc rolename from the mod or whatever at any time. In a recent normal I ran with lightly (mafia) flavored role PMs, I used this solution and it worked. If we did institute a "no PM flavor" or "public PM flavor only" rule for this, I'd rather if it was conditional on using non-mafia/werewolf flavor so that mods could choose to follow one set of guidelines or the other. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't want to expand our options at the cost of limiting them in another area.
mith wrote:At the least, open role PMs should be "translated" into normal flavor - players shouldn't need to parse your treasure hunt flavor to figure out what their role actually does.
Agreed 100%. I'm not interested in expanding the amount of flavor that we alreday allow, or in creating niche role PMs or whatever. I really do think that should stay in the theme games. Mainly, I'm suggesting that the subject matter of public flavor (i.e. death scenes) be less limited. I discussed role names and PM flavor simply because one leads to the other, and if we do this, we're going to have people (including me) wanting to refer to the cop in a witchhunt game as an inquisitor. However, I woudn't want to take it further than that, and I'd be fine not taking it that far, or taking measures to ensure that such things do not effect gameplay at all.

Here's my own stab at guidelines for expanded normal flavor:
  1. Normal games must be flavorless, contain only flavor based on mafia or werewolf, or adhere to the following guidelines.
  2. The mod should post a notice in the queue and in his ruleset, informing players that they are signing up for and/or playing a flavored normal game.
  3. Flavor should be
    entirely
    original. Games based on books, movies, videogames, sports, real people, or any other topic which would allow a player's knowledge of the source to give him an advantage should be run as theme games. Please provide a brief summary of your flavor when you submit your setup for review. (example: The town are lumberjacks and the mafia are environmentalists.)
  4. Flavor posted in the thread should have absolutely no bearing on the game. It should be possible for a player to read only the role reveals posted at the bottom or top of any death scene and gain all information needed to play. This relevant information should be formatted to stand out from the rest of the post and should be limited to the details available in the dead player's role PM, the phase during which the player died, and a brief description of the kill method. (example:
    Ythill
    Mafia Roleblocker (tree-sitter)
    , stabbed night 1.
    )
  5. A sample vanilla townie PM must appear in the mod's ruleset or opening post. It must include the town win condition.
  6. Role PMs and reveals must include the standard name of the role. If secondary role names or descriptive flavor lines are given in role PMs, such information must be publically available.* It is permissable to provide public secondary names or flavor lines for roles which do not appear in the game.
  7. Descriptions of a role's abilities must not contain flavor, except that a player with a kill may be told his kill method.
*This could be reworded to require the list to be posted in the thread, but I like the idea of a private list that is shared by PM with people who request information for specific claims.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #39 (isolation #2) » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:31 am

Post by Ythill »

mole wrote:How about having to give scum flavoured fakeclaims if there's going to be flavour in the role PMs?
Yeah, that's what I meant. In a recent normal, I put one sentence of (mafia themed) flavor in each non-vanilla role PM. Example: vig (You are an outlaw biker with a quick temper and a big gun). In the ruleset and scum QT, I stated that fake flavor was available for anyone who wanted it. I had a private list with the flavor lines for potential roles which were not in the game.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #52 (isolation #3) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Post by Ythill »

Yos wrote:FTR, I was under the impression that the current rule is "Flavor must be based on mafia, warewolf, or face to face games."
If that's true than obv add that to my rule 1.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #59 (isolation #4) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:05 am

Post by Ythill »

This thread needs more mith. I envision him contemplating this heavily and it makes me happy.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #69 (isolation #5) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by Ythill »

Ohey I just figured out a workaround that would solve the problem with public flavor names. Use the translation list that Mith suggested, containing all possible roles, and just come up with a few extra pieces of flavor which are assigned to null entries. Like so...

VT (soldier)
Cop (records officer)
Doc (medic)
Mason (night watch)
Vigilante (sniper)
????? (sergeant)
????? (mine sweeper)
????? (supply officer)
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #71 (isolation #6) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Post by Ythill »

Not if the list contains every allowable mini-normal role, plus a few dummy slots for mod inventions and fakeclaims of them. My example was abbreiviated.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #81 (isolation #7) » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:13 am

Post by Ythill »

Vi wrote:I'm fairly sure mith didn't want a definite whitelist for Normal roles.
I don't know whether he did or not but the point of my idea was that the ????? entries keep that whitelist from happening. Basically, I'm suggesting a list that has all of the common roles plus a few spots where the role isn't mentioned, to cover other possibilities. But... meh... I think we're getting sidetracked here. I'm still fine with no PM flavor if that's what it takes to have leeway for death-scenes. PM style flavor (ex: vig==sniper) can always be kept out of PMs and posted with the cardflips.

@SSBF's idea:
It's not bad, but I don't know if one game fits the bill. I've often thought that an "advanced mod" classification would be helpful on this site and this is just another reason. Not sure what the requirements would be. For this case, probably succesful modding of one normal and one theme game would work.

@Fonz:
That's exactly what I already do (you know from Mafia in Mendo). I don't know that it wouldn't work for a wider range of flavor, but I do see the point about role-names being inherently mafia/werewolf flavored as they are.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #84 (isolation #8) » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:39 pm

Post by Ythill »

Flay wrote:Requiring one Normal and one Theme game is sort of silly, though - with that experience you can run any style of game on the site, with any flavor you want.
Except a normal with non mafia/werewolf flavor.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #86 (isolation #9) » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Post by Ythill »

That's a good idea, shaft.

As to the question of queues, what I'm talking about is not a theme game but, rather, a normal with a cool story. I don't know how the rest of you feel about it but, when I go to one of the theme queues, I'm expecting strange mechanics, odd or unique roles, flavor puzzles, using non-mafia knoweldge to gain an edge in winning the game, etcetera. I'd be mildly annoyed if I /inned for one and found out that it was just a normal with a story about Bob and Timm.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #88 (isolation #10) » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Post by Ythill »

shaft wrote:What did Bob and Timm ever do to you?
Nothing interesting enough to call it "themed." :P

So... seriously? You think that if someone was running a twelve player setup with a tracker, a doc, and two masons against three goons, but that the deathscenes involved an original story about twelve people finding a winning lottery ticket insetad of a town invaded by the mod, that should be run in Coney Island? I guess we just disagree.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #91 (isolation #11) » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:58 am

Post by Ythill »

shaft wrote:No I don't. But according to current site rules that's the way it works.
I know, that's why I made this thread. :roll:
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #105 (isolation #12) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:51 am

Post by Ythill »

This is veering off-topic without achieving or explicitly failing to achieve its stated goals. I'm sure there are threads about bastard modding...

Both Flay and I took a stab at creating the policy Mith asked for. Comments on those? Other attempts?

It seems like a fair number of experienced mods think that non-standard rolenames should be reserved for the theme queue. What about shaft's idea of non-flavored names?
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Return to “Mafia Discussion”