Post by MacavityLock »

Status
Game Over!

Day 4 Final Vote Count
ChannelDelibird (4) -
Sotty7, Deer, camn, SensFan

Not Voting (3) -
ChannelDelibird, Locke Lamora, raider8169

4 votes needed for lynch. 4 votes needed for No Lynch.

Players
Alive (6)
:
camn -
Polk - Mason
survived to endgame.
Deer -
Daniels - 1 shot Lynch Preventer
survived to endgame.
Locke Lamora -
Greggs - Investigator/Bodyguard
survived to endgame.
raider8169 -
Prez - Investigator
survived to endgame.
SensFan -
Mahon - Mason
survived to endgame.
Sotty7 -
Santangelo - Investigator
survived to endgame.

Dead (6):
VP Baltar -
Bubbs - Snitch/Survivor
was removed from the game over Night 1.
jasonT1981 -
Wee-bey - Barksdale Goon
was removed from the game during Episode 2.
animorpherv1 -
Carver - Investigator
was removed from the game over Night 2.
Jebus -
Stringer - Barksdale Roleblocker
was removed from the game during Episode 3.
Fate -
Freamon - Wiretapper
was removed from the game over Night 3.
ChannelDelibird -
Avon - Barksdale Godfather/1-shot Rolecop
was removed from the game during Episode 4.

Backup Mod: Faraday
Last edited by MacavityLock on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Yes, my fake claim is Innocent Aligned with the Town win condition as per the mod's first post.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Mon May 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

The Rules

General
  • The site-wide rules apply.
  • Once you're dead (which is when your role abilities has been posted), you are allowed a single "Bah!" post, which may contain no game-relevant information.
  • I will attempt to respond to all communication either from PM or a post containing
    @mod
  • You may never quote anything you received as PM from me. You may never pretend to quote anything receive as PM from me. You may never quote anything you pretend to receive as PM from me.
  • If you think the rules have holes, please let me know. If you exploit such a hole before bringing it to my attention, expect to be mod-killed.
  • Mod-kills will be resolved in such a manner as I deem fit that is disadvantageous to the win condition of the mod-killee, and the mod-killee will immediately have their win condition changed to that of a Survivor.
  • If you have any questions, about the rules or whatever, please PM me or the backup mod.

Voting
  • A proper vote must be bolded, include the word "vote" and something that I can trace back to one of the players. This may be the whole name or an abbreviation. Please make sure that I understand whom you mean to vote for. Otherwise, your vote won't count.
  • I will not tolerate vote shenanigans, e.g. not bolding a vote to attempt to trap people, etc.
  • Unvotes are necessary, and a vote will stay on a given player and not move without an unvote.

Lynches
  • Before deadline, a majority of votes (50% + 1, rounded down) is required for a lynch to occur.
  • A No Lynch can be voted for like lynching any player. A No Lynch will be reached at a plurality of votes (50%, rounded up).
  • Once a lynch or No Lynch has occurred, it is irrevocable and no more votes or unvotes will count during that day.
  • At deadline, the player with the most votes will be lynched as long as that number of votes is greater than 1. No Lynch can also be deadlined in this manner. In the case of ties, the player who reached that maximum vote count first will be lynched.
  • The period when a lynch or No Lynch has occurred but the thread has not been locked is known as Twilight. Posting is allowed during this period. Twilight will end after 6 hours or when I am available to lock the thread, whichever is later.

Deadlines
  • To start, all game days will have a deadline of 3 weeks, with an additional week guaranteed to be added upon request of at least two players. Once there are 4 or fewer players in the game, the day will have a deadline of 2 weeks.
  • Additional deadline extensions will only be available in the case of extraordinary circumstances. Extraordinary circumstances are based on my judgment alone, but can be requested by players in thread.
  • Nights will be deadlined to 72 hours. If you have a compulsive action and do not send me a message stating how it's to be used, it will be randomized.

Participation
  • I expect each of you to post at least once every three days.
  • I will prod you if you don't. This will be announced in thread by me and you will have to answer the prod by posting in thread.
  • If prods are not answered or if I have to prod you repeatedly, I will replace you.
  • If no replacements can be found in a reasonable time, I will have to mod-kill you.

Game-Specific Rules
  • Unless otherwise stated, every player may only use
    one
    night action per night. This includes group actions
    submitted by the player
  • Group Abilities: Anything listed in the role PM with the “Group” modifier is considered a Group ability. Any one member of the group may take this action.
  • Group Choices: All group choices are to be submitted in a PM to me.
    The member that submits the night choice is the one who will carry it out
    . If I receive multiple conflicting PMs from Group members, only the last one will apply, but it's probably worth double-checking, as I can make mistakes.
  • Group Types
    • Trusted: All members are confirmed to have the same win condition.
    • Untrusted: There is no guarantee that members will have the same win condition.
  • Group Talk: All groups can talk at night and will do so in a QuickTopic thread I provide. This includes Night 0.
  • Ability Choices: If a player happens to submit more night actions than he is allowed to, only the last ability submitted will apply.
  • Reveal: Upon death, I will post the set of abilities of the dead player, including group memberships, excluding group details i.e. other members and group abilities. The first post will only contain their role character and a catchy role name. While alive, players don't know their catchy role name.
  • Flavor: All flavor in this game is just that: flavor. It has
    no game relevance
    . A character’s presence in a Day opening or closing scene is not an indication of their existence or non-existence in this game. A player’s flavor of being removed from the game will also be purely flavor and is not an indication of the mechanics in which they were removed from the game. Specifically, lynches as you are used to them will not flavored as lynches, and kills as you are used to them may or may not be flavored as kills.
  • Investigator and Snitch: At least 2 players on the Major Case Squad team have the following ability:
    Investigator Role PM wrote:Investigate - Each night, you may PM the mod the name of a player you'd like to investigate. If that player is the Snitch, that player will give up the name of any members of the Barksdale Crew that he knows of. If for any reason you fail to target the Snitch, you will receive "No Result". You may only target each player in this manner once.
    One player has the following ability:
    Snitch Role PM wrote:Snitch – If you are ever targeted by the Investigate ability, the player that targeted you will learn the role name and player name of any Barksdale Crew members that you know. If you are targeted by the Investigate ability, you will learn that you’ve been targeted, but not by who.
  • Vanillas: There are no pure vanilla roles in this game.
  • Night actions will resolve via Natural Action Resolution

Victory Conditions
  • Major Case Squad: You are on the side of the Major Case Squad. You win when all “Dangerous” players have been removed from the game.
  • Barksdale Crew: As a member of the Barksdale Crew, you win when the members of your group make up 50% or more of the players in the game. This is considered a “Dangerous” win condition.
  • There may be other win conditions in this game.
  • If the same set of players remain in the game for 3 cycles of day and night, a stalemate will result. In a stalemate, no one has achieved their win condition, so everyone loses. ("There is no tying in baseball.")
Last edited by MacavityLock on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Yes, my fake claim is Innocent Aligned with the Town win condition as per the mod's first post.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Mon May 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Episode 1 - Scene 1

“C’mon into the chambers, Jimmy” Judge Phelan said with a wry smile. “What is it you want to talk about?”

“Your trial today, have you heard any of these names before, Judge?” McNulty asked.

“Please, Jimmy, in here you can call me Mr. Phelan,” he said with a laugh. “To be honest, no I haven’t.” He took off his robe and sat down at his desk.

“That’s because nobody’s investigating these guys. These Barksdale fuckers are selling dope and dropping bodies all around West Baltimore. And we’ve got nothing real on ‘em”

“No weight, no guns, no names?”

“As far as I know, nothing that goes above street level, but you’d have to ask Narcotics. But I’m seeing these bodies, and the name I’m hearing whispered is Barksdale.”

“So why haven’t we heard anything about them so far?”

“They’re smart. One of the guys in your courtroom today: Stringer Bell, a top Barksdale lieutenant. Taking notes.”

“Taking notes on my case?”

“Yes sir. The corner boys are using pay phones, and the top men are meeting only face to face, no phones at all. We’ve got nothing to go on.”

“And you’re catching bodies?”

“I think so.”

“Dammit!” Judge Phelan slammed his fist down on the table. “So neither Narcotics or the Western are willing to pick this up, because it’s too hard.”

“Yeah, but I think we can make a case, with some time, manpower.”

“Well, shit Jimmy, I guess I’ve got to make some calls. But you better not be fucking with me!”

“Would I do that to you, Judge?” McNulty asked, with an impish smile.

----

“Sit down, Cedric” Deputy Commissioner Burrell waved at a chair in his office. “We’ve got something to talk about.”

“Yes sir. What can I do for you?”

“I’ve got something to offer you, Cedric. How do you feel about leading a Major Case Sqaud?”

“Deputy!” Lieutenant Daniels sputtered. “I’d be honored. What’s the case?”

“Some judge has got a bug up his ass about some drug ring in Western Baltimore. You ever heard of Barksdale?”

“Yeah, my squad has made some buy busts the name comes up, but it never goes anywhere. We’ve rolled up to above the corner level once, but never further than that.”

“That’s fine. I don’t think we’re going to need much more than that.”

“Sir?”

“This is political shit. Do you want to deal with political shit, Cedric? I don’t think you do. You get me a few names, get me some drugs and some money to put on a table, and we’re satisfied.”

“That’s all you want this Major Case Squad for?”

“We don’t have the money for much else. So, you take this assignment, take some men, and put something together. You’ll have a couple months. You make this quick and easy, and you’ll have a friend. You don’t,… well, you know what I’ve got in this desk drawer, right?”

“I believe I do. Deputy Commissioner.” Daniels stood to leave.

“Cedric.” Burrell dismissed him. “Oh, and Cedric? Good luck.” An oily smile sent Lieutenant Daniels on his way.
Last edited by MacavityLock on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #3 (isolation #3) » Tue May 25, 2010 6:21 am

Post by MacavityLock »

All role PMs are out. This is now the confirmation phase. Please confirm in thread. This phase will end once 10 out of 12 players have confirmed or 24 hours have passed, whichever is longer.

Also, please pay close attention to the rules, especially the Game-Specific rules for this game. I will specifically highlight 2 of them: Flavor and Investigator & Snitch. All flavor in this game is purely flavor and is no indication of game mechanics, players in the game, players not in the game, etc. There are at least 2 players with the Major Case Squad win condition with the Investigator ability. There is one player with the Snitch ability who may or may not have a "Dangerous" win condition.
Last edited by MacavityLock on Tue May 25, 2010 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #16 (isolation #4) » Tue May 25, 2010 11:02 am

Post by MacavityLock »

10 players have confirmed, so the game will begin at approximately 10:30 AM PST tomorrow.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #32 (isolation #5) » Wed May 26, 2010 6:08 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Episode (Day) 1 Go!
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #50 (isolation #6) » Wed May 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Vote CountDeadline: June 16, 9 PM EST

Sotty7 (4) -
SensFan, camn, VP Baltar, Jebus

VP Baltar (2) -
Sotty7, animorpherv1

camn (1) -
Fate

animorpherv1 (1) -
Deer

Deer (1) -
jasonT1981

Not Voting (3) -

7 votes needed for lynch. 6 votes needed for No Lynch.

Sotty's upcoming V/LA is noted.

Edit: Whoa! Accidental page-topper. Don't expect vote counts every page. Expect approximately 1 per 24 hours.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #79 (isolation #7) » Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Deer (4) -
jasonT1981, raider8169, animorpherv1, camn

jasonT1981 (3) -
ChannelDelibird, Sotty7, VP Baltar

Sotty7 (2) -
SensFan, Jebus

animorpherv1 (1) -
Deer

VP Baltar (1) -
Locke Lamora

camn (1) -
Fate

Last edited by MacavityLock on Fri May 28, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #95 (isolation #8) » Sat May 29, 2010 5:10 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Rule set has been updated to include the following: Night actions will resolve via Natural Action Resolution
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #180 (isolation #9) » Sat May 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

jasonT1981 (2) -
Sotty7, VP Baltar

Deer (2) -
raider8169, animorpherv1

animorpherv1 (2) -
SensFan, Deer

Sotty7 (1) -
Jebus

VP Baltar (1) -
Locke Lamora

Fate (1) -
ChannelDelibird

SensFan (1) -
Fate

Jebus (1) -
camn

Not Voting (1) -
jasonT1981

This is a friendly reminder to all players from your mod: PAY SOME FUCKING ATTENTION TO ALL THE RULES OF THIS GAME! Thank you, and have a nice day.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #210 (isolation #10) » Sun May 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Fate (5) -
ChannelDelibird, Sotty7, Jebus, camn, VP Baltar

VP Baltar (2) -
Locke Lamora, Fate

Deer (1) -
animorpherv1

animorpherv1 (1) -
SensFan

SensFan (1) -
jasonT1981

jasonT1981 (1) -
Deer

Not Voting (1) -
raider8169

MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #248 (isolation #11) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:08 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Fate (6) -
ChannelDelibird, Sotty7, Jebus, camn, VP Baltar, animorpherv1

VP Baltar (1) -
Locke Lamora

animorpherv1 (1) -
SensFan

SensFan (1) -
jasonT1981

raider8169 (1) -
Deer

camn (1) -
Fate

Not Voting (1) -
raider8169

MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #315 (isolation #12) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

VP Baltar wrote:
Mod, please prod Jason
Jason has requested emergency V/LA due to connection issues. Hopefully we'll have him back soon.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #330 (isolation #13) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Fate (5) -
ChannelDelibird, Sotty7, Jebus, VP Baltar, animorpherv1

Deer (3) -
raider8169, SensFan, camn

VP Baltar (1) -
Locke Lamora

SensFan (1) -
jasonT1981

raider8169 (1) -
Deer

camn (1) -
Fate

MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #342 (isolation #14) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:17 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Mod warning to Fate.
Please keep things civil in my game. Not everyone goes back and checks sigs for V/LA. I know I didn't.

Fate's LA is noted.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #419 (isolation #15) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:32 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Day 1 Final Vote Count
Deer (7) -
raider8169, SensFan, camn, Locke Lamora, animorpherv1, Fate, Jebus

Fate (3) -
ChannelDelibird, Sotty7, VP Baltar

SensFan (1) -
jasonT1981

raider8169 (1) -
Deer

The Episode has ended. As per the rules, Twilight should last for 6 hours, but due to me wanting to get some sleep, today will end approximately 3.5 hours from this post. Mod guarantee that this has no effect on gameplay. During Twilight, everyone may post as normal.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #423 (isolation #16) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Episode 1 - Scene 2

Assistant State's Attorney Rhonda Pearlman stormed down the stairs and into the dank basement that the Major Case Squad had been set up in. "Lieutenant Daniels!" she shouted.

Daniels came out of his office. He waved the squad over. "Detectives, meet Attorney Rhonda Pearlman. She's heading up the prosectution for our Barksdale cases."

"Not with shit warrants like this, Cedric. Your officers seem to be entirely unable to type. Or spell. Or be coherent in any way."

"You're really having a problem with the warrants?"

"Yes, Cedric, I am. We're trying to make warrants that judges will actually sign off on. If I bring these things in, I'll get laughed out of chambers."

Herc whispered over to Carver. "So, we actually have to
write up
the warrants now? Alls I want to do is bust some heads."

"Shut up, Herc," Carver replied

"We're just getting set up, Rhonda," Daniels pleaded. "I mean, just look at where they put us up. We'll have good warrants for you soon."

"How soon are we talking?"

"Give us 24 hours. Even if I have to get these fuck-ups to stay with it all night."

"Fuck!" Prez complained. The other detectives mumbled angrily to each other.

"Well, the sooner we get these warrants in, the sooner we can start pulling these guys in." Rhonda picked up her briefcase and walked out. McNulty caught her eye as she was leaving, a wide smile on his face.

Daniels turned back to his crew. "Well, you heard the lady. Let's get working."

Episode 1 has ended with
No Lynch
. All players with night abilities have 72 hours to get their choices into me. (Actually, due to me-getting-sleep issues, let's make it 71 hours from this post please.)
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #424 (isolation #17) » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Important Role PM clarification. The Investigate ability now reads as follows
Investigator Role PM wrote:Investigate - Each night, you may PM the mod the name of a player you'd like to investigate. If that player is the Snitch, that player will give up the name of any members of the Barksdale Crew that he knows of. If for any reason you fail to target the Snitch, you will receive "No Result". You may only target each player in this manner once.
Last edited by MacavityLock on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #425 (isolation #18) » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:39 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Episode 2 - Scene 1

Kima hurried into the Office of the Medical Examiner. She saw a tall man with a large amount of hair coming out of his head. "Doctor? You called me?"

The man turned around. "Are you Detective Shakima Greggs?"

"Yes sir. Please call me Kima. What's this about?"

He pulled the latex glove off his hand and offered it to her. "Detective, I'm Doctor Randall Frazier. I'm sorry to bring you down here like this, but I'd like to ask if you can identify a body for me."

A flutter ran through Kima's stomach. "My family? Who is it?"

Doctor Frazier waved her into the next room. She saw a gurney with a sheet draped over it. "I don't believe so, Detective. However, we brought in a man beaten to death, no ID on him or anything." He took something off of the sheet. "Detective Greggs, besides a couple bucks and the vial in his shoe, the only useful thing this man had on him was your business card." He handed the ratty card over to her.

"Oh, shit." A tear formed in her eye. "Let's get this over with."

"Do you know who this is?"

"Not for certain, but I have an idea."

Doctor Frazier pulled the sheet back. The right side of his face was caved in and covered with blood, but she could tell it was him.

"Shit, Bubbs, what did you do?" she cried out. Doctor Frazier brought over a rolling stool, which Kima promptly collapsed on.

After a few moments, Doctor Frazier spoke up. "So, you knew this man?"

Kima collected herself. "He went by Bubbles, or Bubbs. He was one of my CIs. A scamming junkie, but he'd give up names, and you could trust him. He was helping us work on this new case we've got." She turned her head towards the body. "What scam did you try to pull this time, Bubbs?"

"Thanks, Detective. I'm sorry to make you do this, but do you know his real name?"

"I don't, Doctor, I'm sorry."

"That's okay, we can work on this more from our side. If you hear anything on the street that might point to his people, please do let me know."

"Thanks, Doc, I'll do what I can." Kima stood up and walked out of the Medical Examiner's office, more resolute than ever to put these Barksdales away.

VP Baltar's Role PM wrote:You are Reginald "Bubbles" Cousins. You are the Snitch. [Flavor redacted]

Abilities:
Snitch – If you are ever targeted by the Investigate ability, the player that targeted you will learn the rolename and player name of any Barksdale Crew members that you know. If you are targeted by the Investigate ability, you will learn that you’ve been targeted, but not by who.
[Other abilities redacted]

Win Condition:
As the Snitch, you just want to survive. You win if you remain alive and some other faction has achieved their win condition.
VP Baltar -
Bubbs - Snitch/Survivor
has been removed from the game over Night 1.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #491 (isolation #19) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:35 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Vote CountDeadline: June 28, 9 PM EST

jasonT1981 (4) -
Fate, Sotty7, SensFan, Locke Lamora

Not Voting (7) -
animorpherv1, camn, ChannelDelibird, Deer, jasonT1981, Jebus, raider8169

6 votes needed for lynch. 6 votes needed for No Lynch.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #567 (isolation #20) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Day 2 Final Vote Count
jasonT1981 (6) -
Fate, Sotty7, SensFan, Locke Lamora, Deer, camn

Fate (1) -
jasonT1981

Not Voting (4) -
animorpherv1, ChannelDelibird, Jebus, raider8169

6 votes needed for lynch. 6 votes needed for No Lynch.

The Episode has ended. Due to me not being available this weekend, this night will either last 60 hours until Noon PST on Friday, or Faraday will take over for the weekend. I will contact him. Lynch scene forthcoming.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #568 (isolation #21) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:59 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Episode 2 - Scene 2

Lynch scene goes here.

jasonT1981's Role PM wrote:You are Roland "Wee-Bey" Brice. [Flavor redacted]

Abilities:
Trusted Group - Barksdale Crew - You are in the Barksdale Crew Trusted Mafia with [redacted]. During the confirmation phase and all night phases, you may post to a joint QT here: [redacted]

Win Condition:
As a member of the Barksdale Crew, you win when the members of your group make up 50% or more of the players in the game. This is considered a "Dangerous" win condition.
jasonT1981 -
Wee-bey - Barksdale Goon
has been removed from the game during Episode 2.
Last edited by MacavityLock on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #569 (isolation #22) » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:21 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Episode 3 - Scene 1

Night scene goes here. Sorry I haven't been able to post these. I've just been very busy getting ready for a vacation. Speaking of which, V/LA until Tuesday. You're left in the capable hands of our backup mod, Faraday.

animorpherv1's Role PM wrote:You are Detective Ellis Carver. [Flavor redacted.]

Abilities:
Investigate - Each night, you may PM the mod the name of a player you'd like to investigate. If that player is the Snitch, that player will give up the name of any members of the Barksdale Crew that he knows of. You may only target each player in this manner once.

Win Condition:
You are on the side of the Major Case Squad. You win when all "Dangerous" players have been removed from the game.
animorpherv1 -
Carver - Investigator
has been removed from the game over Night 2.
Last edited by MacavityLock on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #608 (isolation #23) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:58 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Hello, your mod has returned from V/LA. Thanks to Faraday for backing me up while I was away. He did a great job. (Except that while I was away, the forum went down. Coincidence?)

Anyway, I don't seem to have modding powers in this thread, so the first post will not be able to be modified at present. Also, if you PMed me anything during my V/LA, there's no guarantee that I received it. Please PM again if necessary.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #634 (isolation #24) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:04 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Vote CountDeadline: July 2, 9 PM PST

Jebus (3) -
camn, Deer, Locke Lamora

Deer (1) -
SensFan

ChannelDelibird (1) -
Fate

Not Voting (4) -
ChannelDelibird, Jebus, raider8169, Sotty7

5 votes needed for lynch. 5 votes needed for No Lynch.

Checking to see if anyone needs a-prodding.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #635 (isolation #25) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:07 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Prodding Deer, Jebus, and SensFan.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #655 (isolation #26) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:59 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Day 3 Final Vote CountDeadline: July 2, 9 PM PST

Jebus (5) -
camn, Deer, Locke Lamora, SensFan, Fate

Not Voting (4) -
ChannelDelibird, Jebus, raider8169, Sotty7

5 votes needed for lynch. 5 votes needed for No Lynch.

The Episode has ended, and we are now in Twilight.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #673 (isolation #27) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Episode 3 - Scene 2

McNulty barged in to the Western District office. "He's in there now?"

Lieutenant Dennis Mello intercepted him. "You got it, Detective. It looks like Mr. Bell and Major Colvin have been talking." He pointed back to the interrogation room. "I don't know how, and I don't know why, but he just came in out of the cold."

"Are you kidding me? We've spent so little time going after this guy so far, and already he gets jumpy? What, he's giving up?"

"Trust me, Detective, I have no idea."

McNulty stewed outside of the interrogation room for a good half hour or so before Major Bunny Colvin stepped out. "Detective McNulty!" he said with a smile on his face. "It's been a while. What brings you back to the Western?"

"That guy you got in there, Stringer Bell? He's a major player in the case I'm working right now. I'm on the Barksdale detail."

"Well then, it seems I've got quite a lot for you. Our Mr. Bell doesn't seem particularly comfortable with the direction his organization is taking, and he wants a way out. He and I have been talking for a little while now. He trusts me."

"Well, that's great, Major. We're trying to move quickly on this one. Can we pack him up and bring him over to my detail?"

"Oh, I don't think he's that comfortable. And this is my pull. He's giving up quite a bit though. You'll get what you need."

"Thanks, Major." McNulty offered his hand, and Colvin shook it heartily. "Looks like we owe you one."

"Oh, you know you do." And with that, Colvin headed back into the interrogation room.

McNulty turned away to walk out. This was a good result, but he was still a bit disappointed that he wasn't able to make the collar himself.

Jebus's Role PM wrote:You are Russell “Stringer” Bell. [Flavor redacted]

Abilities:
Trusted Group – Barksdale Crew – You are in the Barksdale Crew Trusted Mafia with [redacted]. During the confirmation phase and all night phases, you may post to a joint QT here: [redacted]
Roleblocker - At night you may PM the mod the name of a player. Any actions that player takes that night will be prevented. Additionally, if you target the Snitch, that player will not be able to provide any information to Investigators.

Win Condition:
As a member of the Barksdale Crew, you win when the members of your group make up 50% or more of the players in the game. This is considered a “Dangerous” win condition.
Jebus -
Stringer - Barksdale Roleblocker
has been removed from the game during Episode 3.

Due to continuing board issues, I'm not comfortable locking the thread at this point. There will be no posting in this thread during night, on pain of mod-kill.
Night will end in approximately 72 hours.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #674 (isolation #28) » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Episode 4 - Scene 1

"Come on into my office, Detective" Lieutenant Daniels waved Detective Freamon in.

"Lieutenant, what can I do for you?"

"Lester, our investigation, has the scope widened without me knowing?"

Lester looked away for just a second. "Well, with this crew, it doesn't look like it's just about the drugs. The money is going places. Places that are worth exploring."

"I'm sorry to be abrupt about this, but we can't be exploring them."

Lester looked up to meet Daniels' eyes angrily. "Lieutenant, some of the money is going to a state senator. We're talking bribery, payoffs, corruption."

"The people I'm reporting to don't want to hear it. They want the drugs, and that's all they want. This investigation is going too fast, too wide for them."

"And what do you want me to do? Close my eyes to it?
Not
investigate like a police?"

"Lester, why
did
you land in the Pawn Shop unit all those years ago?"

"This is bullshit, Lieutenant!"

"You think I don't know that? But I can't have you following the money trail here."

"Well, if you can't have me doing my damn job, I don't know what my purpose is on this detail," Lester said with disgust.

"I was hoping you wouldn't say that," Daniels sighed in resignation. "But it looks like I'm going to have to take you off the wires and the paperwork. You're either on the street, or you're off the unit."

"Looks like I'm off the unit then." Lester got up, and stormed out of the room.

Fate's Role PM wrote:You are Detective Lester Freamon. [Flavor redacted]

Abilities:
Wiretapper – Each night, you may PM the mod the name of a player. You will learn if that player has been talking on the phone that night. For the purposes of this game, you will identify whether or not the player can nighttalk. At the end of the night, you will receive a notification of either “Can Nighttalk” or “No Result”. Note that there may be some players who can nighttalk but are not affected by this ability. Note also that if anything interferes with this ability, you will also receive a “No Result”.

Win Condition:
You are on the side of the Major Case Squad. You win when all “Dangerous” players have been removed from the game.
Fate -
Freamon - Wiretapper
has been removed from the game over Night 3.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #681 (isolation #29) » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:10 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Vote CountDeadline: July 12, 9 PM PST

ChannelDelibird (2) -
Sotty7, Deer

Not Voting (5) -
camn, ChannelDelibird, Locke Lamora, raider8169, SensFan

MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #722 (isolation #30) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:00 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Important note: Some, but not all, role PMs were corrupted in the move to phpBB3. At this point, I believe that everyone still in the game has an intact version of their role PM. Please PM me if you do not. I apologize for any confusion that this may have caused.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #724 (isolation #31) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:57 am

Post by MacavityLock »

ChannelDelibird (3) -
Sotty7, Deer, camn

Not Voting (4) -
ChannelDelibird, Locke Lamora, raider8169, SensFan

MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #728 (isolation #32) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:20 am

Post by MacavityLock »

ChannelDelibird (4) -
Sotty7, Deer, camn, SensFan

Not Voting (3) -

The Episode has ended. Lynch scene coming soon.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #729 (isolation #33) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:46 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Episode 4 - Episode 2

A tall man, toothpick poking out of the side of his mouth, walked into a cluttered appliance store. He waved off the other big men in the store. They knew him. He walked up to the desk, a large man looked up over his glasses at him. The large man put down the toaster he was working on.

"What up, Unc?" Cheese asked. "You heard the news?"

"I guess I haven't. What's the news you bringin'?" Proposition Joe asked with a slow drawl.

"They got Avon. Haulin' him off."

"The Police?" asked Prop Joe incredulously. "Naw, he keeps his shit clean."

"Not no more, Unc. They got him next to a large stash. And he was carrying."

"Sheeet. That don't sound like Avon."

Cheese shrugged. "Hey, I'm just telling you what I hear."

Prop Joe sat back and thought for a moment. "All right, I'mma talk to the Greek. You make sure this is for real."

"We gonna tool up?"

"Boy, you just get ready. If Barksdale's off the street, we gots to get going. Put some muscle together."

"We gonna step 'em off?"

"We gonna take them towers. No Avon, no String, we go up there now and tell the hoppers that they now on our payroll? Shit, that's ours."

Cheese smiled. "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!"

"What you say, boy? That our territory?" He waved over his other guards and got ready to set up a meeting.

"That our territory!"

"Well, go to!" Prop Joe waved Cheese out the door.

Prop Joe looked up and smiled. When opportunity knocks...

ChannelDelibird's Role PM wrote:You are Avon Barksdale. [Flavor redacted]

Abilities:
Trusted Group – Barksdale Crew – You are in the Barksdale Crew Trusted Mafia with [redacted]. During the confirmation phase and all night phases, you may post to a joint QT here: [redacted]
Godfather – No matter what type of investigations are targeted towards you, the result will be the same as if targeting a completely vanilla member of the Major Case Squad. You will never be identifiable as a member of the Barksdale Crew.
1-Shot Rolecop – Once during the game, at night you may PM the mod the name of a player. You will then receive the role name, the set of abilities, and the win condition for that player.

Win Condition:
As a member of the Barksdale Crew, you win when the members of your group make up 50% or more of the players in the game. This is considered a “Dangerous” win condition.
ChannelDelibird -
Avon - Barksdale Godfather/1-shot Rolecop
has been removed from the game during Episode 4.

The
Major Case Squad
has achieved their win condition. (Or at least as much as can be expected in the Baltimore drug war :} ) Congratulations to animorpherv1, camn, Deer, Fate, Locke Lamora, raider8169, SensFan, and Sotty7!

Full roles, night actions, setup notes, and game notes forthcoming.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #731 (isolation #34) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:02 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Role PMs

Deer’s Role PM wrote:You are Lieutenant Cedric Daniels. You’ve been a shift commander on the Narcotics division for a couple of years now, and have a solid squad behind you pulling street collars and making buy busts. Deputy Commissioner Burrell brought you in to command a new Major Case Squad on the Barksdale detail. He wants a quick in-and-out case to satisfy the judge that’s putting this on him, and he’s got some dirt on you, so that’s what he’s going to get. But, hey, if the case leads somewhere, you’re going to follow, because you’re a Police. You’ve got just enough suction with the higher-ups to make something happen.

Abilities:
  • 1-Shot Lynch Prevention – Once during the game, you may prevent a lynch that has occurred. This lynch prevention must be PM’ed to the mod before or during the Twilight period of the day that lynch has occurred. If you use this ability, it will be as if you forced a No Lynch. There will be no alignment or power reveal.
Win Condition:
You are on the side of the Major Case Squad. You win when all “Dangerous” players have been removed from the game.

Game thread is here.
----
Fate’s Role PM wrote:You are Detective Lester Freamon. You’re a veteran of the force, and your first major unit was Homicide. However, after ruffling some politically-connected feathers, you were banished to the Pawnshop unit for 13 years. The higher-ups eventually forgot about you, which is why you were allowed back onto a useful case: the Barksdale detail on the Major Case Squad. You’re natural police, and these wiretaps they’ve started setting up on the phones these dealers use are a goldmine of information for your case.

Abilities:
  • Wiretapper – Each night, you may PM the mod the name of a player. You will learn if that player has been talking on the phone that night. For the purposes of this game, you will identify whether or not the player can nighttalk. At the end of the night, you will receive a notification of either “Can Nighttalk” or “No Result”. Note that there may be some players who can nighttalk but are not affected by this ability. Note also that if anything interferes with this ability, you will also receive a “No Result”.
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
----
SensFan’s Role PM wrote:You are Detective Patrick “Pat” Mahon. You enjoy a drink now and again. And again, and again. You’ve been in the Property unit for years now, never managing to put a good case together. You and your partner Auggie Polk are “humps” and you know it. You’re just hanging on until you get your full 30 years pension. Much to your chagrin, you’ve been assigned to this Major Case Squad looking to put up a case on the Barksdale crew.

Abilities:
  • Trusted Group (i.e. Mason) – During the confirmation phase and the night phase, you and your longtime partner Augustus Polk (camn) can nighttalk at the following QT: [redacted] You may not post to this QT at any other time. You know that Polk is a member of the Major Case Squad.
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
----
camn’s Role PM wrote:You are Detective Augustus “Auggie” Polk. You enjoy a drink now and again. And again, and again. You’ve been in the Property unit for years now, never managing to put a good case together. You and your partner Pat Mahon are “humps” and you know it. You’re just hanging on until you get your full 30 years pension. Much to your chagrin, you’ve been assigned to this Major Case Squad looking to put up a case on the Barksdale crew.

Abilities:
  • Trusted Group (i.e. Mason) – During the confirmation phase and the night phase, you and your longtime partner Patrick Mahon (SensFan) can nighttalk at the following QT: [redacted] You may not post to this QT at any other time. You know that Mahon is a member of the Major Case Squad.
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
----
Locke Lamora’s Role PM wrote:You are Detective Shakima “Kima” Greggs. You’ve been working under Lieutenant Cedric Daniels in the Narcotics division for a few years now, and you’re a good damn cop. When Lt. Daniels got put in charge of this Major Case Squad on the Barksdale detail, you went along with him and got promoted to lead detective. You know how to put together a case, though you’ve mostly been focused on buy busts up until now.

Abilities:
  • Investigate – Each night, you may PM the mod the name of a player you’d like to investigate. If that player is the Snitch, that player will give up the name of any members of the Barksdale Crew that he knows of. You may only target each player in this manner once.
  • Bodyguard – Each night, you may also choose to act as the Bodyguard for the player that you Investigate. Any kills that are targeted at that player will then be targeted to you instead. If you choose to Bodyguard your Investigate-target, you may also choose to name the player that you think will be the killer. If the player you have selected as the killer is in fact the player who has attempted to kill your Investigate-and-Bodyguard target, you will perform a Retaliate Kill on that player. This will not prevent any kill attempts on you.
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
----
raider8169’s Role PM wrote:You are Detective Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski. You’re a bit of a hot-head, and not the best with gun safety protocol. Before being assigned to the Major Case Squad on the Barksdale Detail, you were in the Auto Theft division, where you were best known for accidentally shooting up your squad car and then filing a false report. Your father-in-law is the commander of the Southeast Division, but he thinks you’re a knucklehead. You’re hoping that this assignment will be a new start for you.

Abilities:
  • Investigate – Each night, you may PM the mod the name of a player you’d like to investigate. If that player is the Snitch, that player will give up the name of any members of the Barksdale Crew that he knows of. You may only target each player in this manner once.
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
----
Sotty7’s Role PM wrote:You are Detective Michael “Sanny” Santangelo. Before being assigned to the Major Case Squad on the Barksdale Detail, you were an eight year veteran of the Homicide department. However, your clearance rate is pretty awful, which is why you got the assignment in the first place. So far, making these drug cases is a hell of a lot easier than clearing bodies, so maybe Homicide was never really right for you.

Abilities:
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
----
animorpherv1’s Role PM wrote:You are Detective Ellis Carver. You’ve been working under Lieutenant Cedric Daniels in the Narcotics division for a few years now, tight with your buddy Thomas “Herc” Hauk. When Lt. Daniels got put in charge of this Major Case Squad on the Barksdale detail, you went along with him. You’re wary of Detective Kima Greggs, also from the Narcotics Division, because, well, she’s a better cop than you. Still, you’re going to make the best use of this assignment as you can.

Abilities:
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
----
VP Baltar’s Role PM wrote:You are Reginald "Bubbles" Cousins. You are the Snitch. You been addicted to heroin for a while now, and it’s cost you everything. You’re homeless, no job, nothing you can count on, except that next high. You run scams with your boy Johnny when you can, but you’d do pretty much anything to pick up a dollar. After the Barksdale boys beat up Johnny because of one of your scams, you’ve started up as a Confidential Informant for the cops. They’ll pay you, and you might be able to take some revenge. Still, as much as you want to kick it, that high feels so good…

Abilities:
  • Snitch – If you are ever targeted by the Investigate ability, the player that targeted you will learn the rolename and player name of any Barksdale Crew members that you know. If you are targeted by the Investigate ability, you will learn that you’ve been targeted, but not by who.
  • Information – You know that jasonT1981 is Wee-Bey Brice. You may learn more about the Barksdale Crew in the future.
  • Safe Claim – You’ve recently seen Detective Leandor Sydnor go undercover as a junkie, and this will keep him away from this direct investigation for a while. You may PM the mod to request additional flavor.
Win Condition:
As the Snitch, you just want to survive. You win if you remain alive and some other faction has achieved their win condition.

Game thread is here.
Mod Notes: If Wee-Bey is removed from the game for any reason, Bubbles will learn the identity of Stringer. He will never learn the identity of Avon. The message sent upon learning Stringer's identity is "Now that Wee-bey's out of the picture, you're seeing Stringer come around the corners more often. You know that Jebus is Stringer Bell." If Stringer is subsequently removed from the game, Bubbles will receive the following message: “You’re not seeing any more big men on the corners, just the regular hoppers. You have no more useful information to provide.”

The message sent to Bubbs when targeted by an Investigator is “Over the previous night, you were Investigated.”

The message sent to the Investigator when targeting Bubbs is “Over the previous night, you investigated the Snitch and learned that PLAYERNAME is CHARACTER.”

----
ChannelDelibird’s Role PM wrote:You are Avon Barksdale. You’re the head of the Barksdale Crew, and you’ve got a hold on the West Baltimore drug trade. You keep things isolated, never being near the drugs, just the money. You don’t talk on phones, just in person with people you know. You have no priors, and the toughest thing you can be called out for is fighting Golden Gloves when you were younger. Right now, life is good. Still, the cops have started picking up guys at the fringes of your organization. But as long as things stay tight, you’ll be fine.

Abilities:
  • Trusted Group – Barksdale Crew – You are in the Barksdale Crew Trusted Mafia with Stringer Bell (Jebus) and Wee-Bey Brice (jasonT1981). During the confirmation phase and all night phases, you may post to a joint QT here: http://www.quicktopic.com/44/H/CAm2jviwi5YJm
  • Group Kill – Each night, one member of your group may PM the mod the name of a player. That member of your group will make one kill attempt on the player targeted.
  • Group Safe Claims – You haven’t seen Detectives Jimmy McNulty, Thomas "Herc" Hauk, or William "Bunk" Moreland patrolling the streets for a while now. Also, you believe that notorious stick-up boy Omar Little has headed up to New York to lay low for a bit. You may PM the mod to request additional flavor.
  • Group Information – You know that the Snitch does
    not
    have the Major Case Squad win condition.
  • Godfather – No matter what type of investigations are targeted towards you, the result will be the same as if targeting a completely vanilla member of the Major Case Squad. You will never be identifiable as a member of the Barksdale Crew.
  • 1-Shot Rolecop – Once during the game, at night you may PM the mod the name of a player. You will then receive the role name, the set of abilities, and the win condition for that player.
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
----
Jebus’s Role PM wrote:You are Russell “Stringer” Bell. You act as Avon Barksdale’s right hand man and second-in-command for the Barksdale Crew. You deal a lot with the day to day operations of the crew, from the money, to the muscle, to the supply. So far, your crew has been tight, and you hope to keep it that way. You’ve also been taking business classes at night school, trying to see if you can use any of that stuff to make your crew run smoother, more profitably.

Abilities:
  • Trusted Group – Barksdale Crew – You are in the Barksdale Crew Trusted Mafia with Avon Barksdale (ChannelDelibird) and Wee-Bey Brice (jasonT1981). During the confirmation phase and all night phases, you may post to a joint QT here: http://www.quicktopic.com/44/H/CAm2jviwi5YJm
  • Group Kill – Each night, one member of your group may PM the name of a player. That member of your group will make one kill attempt on the player targeted.
  • Group Safe Claims – You haven’t seen Detectives Jimmy McNulty, Thomas "Herc" Hauk, or William "Bunk" Moreland patrolling the streets for a while now. Also, you believe that notorious stick-up boy Omar Little has headed up to New York to lay low for a bit. You may PM the mod to request additional flavor.
    not
  • Roleblocker - At night you may PM the mod the name of a player. Any actions that player takes that night will be prevented. Additionally, if you target the Snitch, that player will not be able to provide any information to Investigators.
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
----
jasonT1981’s Role PM wrote:You are Roland "Wee-Bey" Brice. You’re Avon’s head soldier in the Barksdale Crew. You, Stringer, and Avon have been boys from back in the day, slinging on the corner and being the muscle. That’s your job now, the muscle. You’ve put down bodies all over Baltimore, and you don’t see that stopping anytime soon. You’ve got your baby mama De’Londa and your son to take care of.

Abilities:
  • Trusted Group – Barksdale Crew – You are in the Barksdale Crew Trusted Mafia with Avon Barksdale (ChannelDelibird) and Stringer Bell (Jebus). During the confirmation phase and all night phases, you may post to a joint QT here: http://www.quicktopic.com/44/H/CAm2jviwi5YJm
  • Group Kill – Each night, one member of your group may PM the name of a player. That member of your group will make one kill attempt on the player targeted.
    not
Win Condition:

Game thread is here.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #732 (isolation #35) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:04 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Night Actions

Night 1 Actions

animorpherv1 - Carver - Investigate camn
ChannelDelibird - Avon - Rolecop camn
Deer - Daniels - Lynch Prevent on Deer (Day 1 action)
Fate - Lester - Wiretap Jason
jasonT1981 - Wee-bey - Kill Baltar
Jebus - Stringer - RB animorph
Locke Lamora - Greggs - Investigate Jebus/BG/Retaliate VP
raider8169 - Prez - Investigate camn
Sotty7 - Santangelo - Investigate Fate

N2 Actions

animorpherv1 - Carver - Investigate Deer
ChannelDelibird - Avon - Kill ani
Fate - Lester - Wiretap CDB
Jebus - Stringer - RB Fate
Locke Lamora - Greggs - Investigate Fate/BG/Retaliate Sotty
raider8169 - Prez - Investigate CDB

N3 Actions

ChannelDelibird - Avon - Kill Fate
Fate - Lester - Wiretap Locke
Locke Lamora - Greggs - Investigate camn/BG/Retaliate Sotty
raider8169 - Prez - Investigate Sotty
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #733 (isolation #36) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:47 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Setup Notes

The genesis of the game comes from 2 places. I recently played a Mini Normal entitled "Mafia in Bawlmer". The flavor was very Baltimore-y and reminded me of just how much I enjoyed The Wire. Also, a good while back, I had come up with the Wiretapper role. The Wiretapper was basically a Gunsmith, but who detected all night-talkers, as opposed to those who had access to guns. It seemed a nifty role, as the two things that mafias generally have are killing and night talk. If there's a role out there to detect one, why not create a role to detect the other?

So I set about building The Wire. With a Wiretapper, you of course need some town players who can night-talk, thus the Masons.

I already had a flavor theme, so next I needed a mechanic theme. Given the interesting investigative twist of the Wiretapper, I decided to continue with that. The flavor of The Wire led me directly to Confidential Informants, snitching, and the idea for Bubbs. I came up with the idea for basically a reverse Cop, someone who facilitates information being provided to the town. In many ways, the Snitch + Investigators as I designed them is equivalent to a Cop being available for the town. Instead of one Cop trying to hit 1 of the 3 mafia, here we have 4 Investigators trying to hit the one and only Snitch, who will produce the name of one of the mafia. The probabilities work out very similarly, in fact. The exact number of Investigators necessary to produce identical investigation probabilities is actually between 3 and 4.

Note that the reason I said that there were "at least 2 Investigators" is that I was intending for the Investigator role to be basically the vanilla role, and I wanted to be sure that everyone, including the Mafia, knew that.

Now we have some roles, and I went about fitting names to them. Lester Freamon was the obvious Wiretapper. Originally, the Masons were going to be Carver and Herc, but that changed when I couldn't come up with a reason that they wouldn't also have the Investigation ability. So, the Masons went to the most useless members of Daniels's squad: Mahon and Polk.

I had the Barksdale Mafia in mind pretty early: Avon as Godfather, Stringer as some sort of power role, and Wee-bey as Goon. I had a hard time deciding what power role would fit for Stringer, but in the end I decided to go simple and make him a Roleblocker, as that would clearly help the maf the most. The 1-shot Rolecop was added to Avon later, as I realized that the Mafia were somewhat under-powered, and I wanted to give them a way to identify Bubbs if at all possible. In retrospect, I maybe shouldn't have limited it to 1-shot. However, that wouldn't have made any difference in this game: By the second night, Avon had to be doing the kills anyway.

Our list so far:
Mahon & Polk - Masons.
Lester - Wiretapper.
4 unnamed Investigators.
Bubbs - Snitch.
Avon - GF.
Stringer - RB.
Wee-bey - Goon.

Most of the members of Major Case Squad would fit in the Investigator role, and I swapped those names in and out a ton. Here I realized a couple things. 1) I needed a protective role for the town. 2) I needed one more non-Investigator townie. For the protective role, Doc doesn't really fit into The Wire theme at all, while Bodyguard definitely does. As per her role in season 1, I decided to give Greggs the Bodyguarding ability, with the added bonus of a retaliation shot if guessing both the kill target and killer correctly.

The non-Investigator townie came in the form of Lieutenant Daniels himself. I knew I needed him as some power role, since everybody else was, but I couldn't think of a good role. My first instinct was to give him a double vote, but in my opinion, that basically confirms a player as town. Given the confirmed Masons already in the game, I didn't want that. I decided in the end to go with the 1-shot Lynch Prevention, as it doesn't necessarily confirm a player as town, and could actually be detrimental to town, if he protected a scum.

It was at this point that I realized that I had one too few names on the Major Case Squad to cover all Investigators and fake claims necessary. I had 6 names in McNulty, Carver, Herc, Sydnor, Prez, and Santangelo, but I had to still cover 3 unnamed Investigators, and fake claims for 3 Mafs and the Snitch. I decided to get around that by giving the Maf additional options: Instead of 3 fake claims, the maf had 4, 2 of which were Bunk and Omar. Neither Bunk nor Omar are on the Major Case Squad, but I hoped that fact wouldn't torpedo them.

I agonized for a bit as to how to apportion between the real investigators and the fake claims. (Were all the fake claims white guys? Were all the fake claims originally from the Homicide Unit? If I split up Herc and Carver, would that make people more or less likely to believe one or the other?) In the end, I went with Sydnor, McNulty, and Herc as the fakes. For the maf, Bunk and Omar were there to provide power role type claims, Herc was an obvious vanilla Investigator, and McNulty could have probably been an option for both a power or just a vanilla Investigator. For the Snitch, I didn't know whether he would decide to use a fake claim or not, so I was sure to provide it just in case.

After discussing this full setup with my reviewers Faraday, mykonian, and ooba, we decided that it was definitely a little town-balanced, but I hoped not too badly. The presence of a Survivor did make it such that if a LYLO was achieved with the Survivor still alive, that could basically be an auto-win for scum.

Obviously, things didn't go in any way that I had planned :} Stay tuned for game notes.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #735 (isolation #37) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Game Notes

First off, I'd like to say thank you to all of my players. I didn't have to replace a single one of you, and I am hugely grateful for that. Also, I'd like to thank my backup mod Faraday, who performed admirably in my absence. I actually have a much longer V/LA coming up, and in a lot of ways, I'm kind of glad the game ended before then.

OK, the game itself. I've got to say, there were quite a few players who acted in ways that I couldn't, and still can't, understand. Fate, ani, Jebus, wow, just wow.

So, first day was kind of a clusterfuck. Ani's Al Capone claim was just mind-boggling. As a mod, I honestly had no idea what to do, given restrictions on discussing ongoing games. I actually PM'ed mith and MeMe about it. Even after that made for a tough day, as ani obviously didn't have a good understanding of the rules or his PM, since he thought he was a regular Cop. I'm wondering if there's a way I can force some kind of check that a person has actually understood their role PM in the confirmation staged. Jebus's faked post restriction was also surprising. The Wire theme does not lend itself to that kind of meta-game play, in my opinion, and I was wondering why he did it.

The biggest news from Day 1 though was Deer. I thought he stumbled into an amazing use of his role by claiming Lynch-proof. I hadn't considered that when making the role, but it was a hugely townie way to go about, hopefully drawing the night kill when he failed to get lynched. Then he stumbled his way out of it by claiming 1-shot. Poor Deer :} Note that I don't think he ever actually claimed the complete truth of his role: He has a 1-shot prevention of any lynch, not just his own.

Over night 1, the maf requested additional flavor for Bunk, Herc, and Omar, which was provided in their QT. They had a whole thing planned with Jebus being drunk Bunk with the post restriction, CDB being a potential vig with Omar, and jason being an Investigator as Herc. But the most important part of that night was Fate's Wiretap investigation on jason, a clear guilty. When confronted with it on Day 2, jason
mangled the flavors for Bunk and Herc
, thus torpedo-ing two of the maf fake claims in one post. My jaw dropped.

At this point, the maf clearly was scrambling. I think they missed an opportunity. Had they requested some flavor for McNulty, I think their "drunken post restriction" plan for Jebus might have still worked. Sadly, it seems they completely forgot about their McNulty fake claim. When the time came for Jebus to claim on Day 3, he basically gave up.

I can kind of say the same thing for CDB. I don't think a vig claim is all that useful at that stage of the game, and I would have probably used the McNulty fake claim to kind of hide away as a simple Investigator. There was no way Omar was going to survive to the end.

So, in the end, the maf was decimated, and to be honest, I kind of think they deserved it :}

One very disappointing thing to me was Baltar/Bubbs's death happening so early. It was clearly a very tough role to play, as he did know a maf member, but also didn't want to die. So, you have to walk a very narrow path: be scummy enough to not get NKed, but not too scummy to get lynched. I was really looking forward to seeing how Baltar would play it, but we sadly didn't get a chance to see it. It also turned all those Investigators into real vanillas right quick.

Interestingly, by Night 3, it was a very vanilla game. Fate's Wiretap wouldn't work on CDB/Avon, so he was now useless. Deer and CDB had both already used their 1-shots. The maf basically just had a Goon left, while the town had some Masons and a Bodyguard.

----

So, what did you guys think? Setup notes? Game notes?
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #742 (isolation #38) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Moderately uninteresting graveyard thread: http://www.quicktopic.com/44/H/Ka3CnLwvxKU

The Masons can decide if they want their QT made public.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #745 (isolation #39) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

ChannelDelibird wrote:Not quite true, we were going with Jebus as Herc, who was too bored and uninterested to post actual words instead of images, and Jason was going to be Bunk, who could do something or other with forensics on the dead bodies, with Bunk being Homicide rather than Major Crimes.
Ah, right, my bad. It seems that I'm remember the stuff
I
was planning for you guys :}
ChannelDelibird wrote:As a fan of the show I couldn't see McNulty as just being a drunk in this game, having always thought of Bunk as having the biggest "drunk moments" on the show.
Don't you remember when he drove into that overpass stanchion, backed up away from it, tried to line up the turn, and drove into it
again
? And then had sex with the diner waitress?
Fate wrote:The masons might've been a bit too much. NEIGHBORS maybe, which would've stopped them from claiming in thread AND opened up the possibility that I would get a "guilty" on them by wiretapping them, (I was pretty suspicious of camn back in the day).
I couldn't see how to make them Neighbors in a way that fit The Wire flavor. Confirmed Masons is a bit much, but I didn't think they'd be so obvious about it.

Also, The Wire was on HBO, lasted for five 12 episode seasons, and is one of, if not the, best TV show ever. Watch it. Seriously.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #750 (isolation #40) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

camn wrote:Oh, PS:
Mac, this might be on you, but I was going to roast raider on the Southeast Division thing. Wasn't it the "
Southeastern
district
" ??
These are the holes that fakeclaims are made of! I would have had to pursue it if CDB had flipped vig.
Though, TBH, I had decided that it was more likely mod supplied.
Well, damn, I do believe you're right. Problem is, no matter whether I made the mistake or raider did, he obviously had Prez as either his real role name or a fake claim, as no one counter-claimed. I don't see how little mistakes like that in flavor would have led to obv-scum.

Now, big mistakes like jason's...

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”