Newbie 958 ~Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (isolation #0) » Fri May 14, 2010 10:28 am

Post by Earlder1 »

/confirm
Mortality is the number 1 cause of death.

Town: 2-2
Scum: 1-0
Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (isolation #1) » Sat May 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Well I wish I could vote incognito randomly because he thinks I am 2 people. But he already has a vote, so I'll refrain.

Vote: Alta

It's always a scumtell being last to join the game :p

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (isolation #2) » Sun May 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

@Incog

I didn't wanna give you your second vote. I guess at this stage, it isn't entirely important, but I feel everyone should have their name thrown around in this stage. It is less helpful to try and generate conversation by voting randomly if not that many people are getting voted. With that thought, I prefered to vote for someone without a vote yet.

@Brianj

It has to do with another game I am in. My bud and I registered for this site using the same computer so we have the same IP address. Incognito is hosting another game and wasn't sure if we were the same person or not, that's all. It's completely unrelated.

@ Tumbleweed

Everything is so silly to you, isn't it?

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (isolation #3) » Sun May 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Speaking of Avatars, I know it's considered scummy to diverge discussion, but it's early so I'm taking the risk.

Without looking it up, what is my avatar a picture of?

Iguana?

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (isolation #4) » Mon May 17, 2010 10:30 am

Post by Earlder1 »

Alrighty then. I have a couple things to respond to.

@brianj
First off, reasons for me being scummy? Is it because of my comment about my avatar?

If so, then please explain how it is so scummy. As I mentioned in post, I know that diverging is generally considered scummy, but since it is soooo early, I don't really think I'm distracting the conversation from anything productive. Perhaps if I'm trying to take away talk about an important topic, that may be scummy but a random comment this early isn't delaying or derailing anything. It's mostly to be funny and perhaps kind of introduce my personality into the forum. Take from it what you will. Also, in my first game, Newbie 919, I did the exact same thing and I was aas town as could be. I am confident that you will see the same thing from my posts in this game as well.

Secondly, how did someone edit my post? I didn't write Iguana in purple letters. Does that mean it's the mod? I figure it has to be, but clarification would be nice anyways.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (isolation #5) » Mon May 17, 2010 11:36 am

Post by Earlder1 »

@ Tumbleweed

I really wanted people to guess about my avatar. :)

@ brianj

Well, random voting is one thing, but calling me scum, is a bit more serious. That's why I decided to reply. I didn't even mention incog's vote because it's obvious his is just random. You calling me scum, however, I felt needed recourse.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (isolation #6) » Mon May 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

@ Incog

Well, be it a pressure vote or just a vote because you think I am scummy, if you provide a reason, I will provide a defense. Otherwise I suppose it's best left where it is.

Well, I'm not sure Alta deserves my vote at the moment, so I shall reassign it to the person I currently find the most scummy.

Unvote

Vote: Coach Travis

Read his last post. I percieve complete neutrality as scummy because scum like to stay off radar. I know this is weak at best, but with only three pages of information, this is the scummiest thing I've seen.

@ Coach Travis
Have you non-neutral opinions about people so far? Although early, there is still some slight information to go off of. Any leanings?

@Everyone except the mod

It's a tuatara! Go look it up in your spare time. It's a fascinating creature.

Axolotls are better. ~Nik

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (isolation #7) » Mon May 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

@Leech

Great contribution with that first post. Any leanings?

@Incog

Well, I can see what you're saying, but I still like my reasoning for both. I see the logic in early bandwagon's but I also think there is merit to putting everyone on the slate. I'd be a shame if randomly (since it is all random voting) the scum didn't get a vote, and then was not mentioned as a candidate on that day because he was never pressured early and caused to slip. Also, I just wanted to add my disclaimer when talking about my avatar because I know that is a general scumtell. I didn't want people to get the wrong impression of my harmless question regarding my avatar. I was just trying to be fun.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (isolation #8) » Tue May 18, 2010 10:29 am

Post by Earlder1 »

Well, I actually think I'm doing well this game. My appearance may be slightly scummier than I'd like, but it's always good to be somewhat suspicious. The last game I played was my first and I got really into it. The problem, however, was that I was soooo town seeming. Everyone knew I was town and the mafia attempted to kill me night 1 because thay knew I would never be lynched. Luckily, I got doc saved, but this game I don't wanna make the same mistake. I wanna contribute to scum hunting but still be slightly suspicioud so that I don't get NK'd due to being completely town seeming.

@ LordChronos

Fair enough. Consider it dropped.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (isolation #9) » Tue May 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

@Lord Chronos

I didn't say I am intentionally being scummy. I just noted that it's better to be slightly suspicious than obvious town. No where did I say I was trying to appear scummy. Reread it.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (isolation #10) » Tue May 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Also, I will come up with a list of reads soon. This will require me to reread the thread, though, so it may take a few days before I get around to it. Basically, don't worry about me not scum hunting. It will happen ;).

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (isolation #11) » Wed May 19, 2010 7:44 am

Post by Earlder1 »

Well, I believe that is a difference of opinion. The fact of the matter is that there is rarely a majority of obvtown. In my previous game, there was maybe one other person who everyone thought was probably town and that's it. I know that I got lucky in my previous game because of the doc save but there is no guarentee we are in a setup with a doc. Obviously I don't want to appear so scummy as to be lynched day 1 because no matter my allignment, that hurts its chances of winning, but I will try and refrain from seeming obvtown. Maybe I'm alone in the line of thought, but after my first game, I value it.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (isolation #12) » Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 am

Post by Earlder1 »

@brianj

I understand that it doesn't really change the odds and that mafia will NK town regardless. I'll admit that my reasoning is a bit selfish, but I would hate for my game to end day 1 for me. I know that I win if my allignment wins, regardless if I survive or not, but I still would not want to be Nk'd day 1.

That being said I understand that I am looking pretty bad right now. I made some comments about my perception earlier and my point about not being obvtown is selfish.

With this in mind, the deadline is still a ways off and a lot more discussion can be generated before a final decision has to be reached. I have no doubt that if deadline were tomorrow, my head would be in the noose, but since we have so much time, I urge that people do not get one track minded with me. Everyone needs to be looked into, everyone needs to be discussed and analyzed. Even if you still think I'm scum, at least be open to other possibilities.

As stated before, my analysis of the game thus far and reads on everyone will come in a few days time. Hopefully this will spark interest in toher people's actions as well.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (isolation #13) » Wed May 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Lol, yes Tumbleweed, please don't. I don't wanna be a L-1 within 3 days of the game haha. This is a newbie game, and by nature slow. It's fine that you have your concerns about me, but at least give time for other things to unfold before lynching, or even getting close to a lynch. Hopefully, by deadline I will have swayed some people because in reality, I am town. However, I blame no one for being suspicious. I had a conversation with my roommate about this game so far and he straight up told me I am playing horribly. I will try and fix that. Hopefully my town nature will shine through in time :).

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #122 (isolation #14) » Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Well, sorry about the delay guys, I've beed prodded lol.

But like Incog said, I haven't had much time for my other game either so I hope this isn't seen as a scum tell. So I've read through the thread and such and I have my reads. They are as follows.

brianj- I'm a bit weary about his play. As I'm sure will be agreed with, I was an easy target because my mistaken comments. In post 103, he also seems to be trying a bit hard to appease everybody. He says he agrees with both sides and fails to really have an opinion on anyone but myself. I'd like to see some more content from him, but for now he reads slightly scummy.

Incog- Well, I think he's pretty pro-town, but I'm also very cautious about saying that about the ICs. These are the most experienced players and therefore can be very good at deceiving, such as his scum record implies. His play does strike me as town because I do understand his reasonjing against me and his reasoning about unexplained votes. So, I would say he's leaning town but I would not be surprised if he's just a good player.

LordChronos- I honestly have no read on you. I am going to have to iso your posts but I can't remember anything off of the bat that would set you as either scum or town. Lol, you can even ask Incog because I tried to "track" you in my other game, only to realize that you are in my newbie game, not my mini one. That being said, I really don't know what to think about your play. Hopefully I will get more of a feel for it soon enough.

Alta- I'd say he is the most unmemorable player. He definitely needs to post more before anythin can be said about him so I would peg him as neutral for now. I need to especially go back and find where he contradicts himself so that I can get a better feel for Coach Travis's case against him. But, for now, I will leave him as a big "?".

Coach Travis- Well, he's an interesting fellow and is currently where my vote resides. He says that he is more of a reactive player than aggressive, which is fine but it makes the game harder. He then proceeds to say Remouk's case is weak (which it is) and then gives a decent analysis of Alta and why his play doesn't sit well with him. After reading his most recent posts, I actually get more of a town vibe from him. His last post especially makes me think he may be town. I get a leaning town read on him.
Unvote

Earlder1- is town :).

Remouk- His case agaisnt Incog is pretty bad, but I sympathise with him in that it may be due to inexperience. Honestly, there is stronger evidence against me than there is Incog (although I'm glad he doesn't suspect me). That being said, I give him more of a newb-read, although he uses that as an excuse quite frequently. Just that fact makes me a bit uneasy, but for now I will report him as neutral.

Leech- Post more. I like your first post however, because it was full of good analysis, which is always pro-town. So yeah, post more but I am leaning him toward town for now.

Tumbleweed-I think she is town and I don't think anyone can find anything to disagree with that lol. Maybe that is how I looked in my first game, but I just get a straight town vibe from her.

So in recap, I have prepared the following list in terms of how scummy I think everyone is, 1 being most scummy.
1. Brianj
2. Lord Chronos
2. Alta
2. Remouk
5. Incog
6. Coach Travis
7. Leech
8. Earlder1 lolz
9. Tumbleweed

With this in mind
Vote: Brianj

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (isolation #15) » Tue May 25, 2010 6:45 am

Post by Earlder1 »

@brianj

Your initial vote against me was more of a random vote, and you admiteed this yourself. This initial random vote is not what I meant by myself being an easy target. I know you were the first to vote me, but you didn't believe I was scum until later. I don't think that because you voted for me first, you didn't choose me because I was an easy target.

Your post 103 is neutralish. You support Incog. You compliment Remouk's case. I guess these opinions are both fine, but there is nothign definite. You took two sides of an issue and looked positively on both of them. That's why it appears to me that you're trying to appease everyone.

I suppose my final point is refuted by your accusations against Alta, but it's a bit odd that this came only when prompted. I mention you don't have much of an opinion on anyone but me and your next substantial post is your analyses. It seems that you may just be trying to refute this claim about yourself. I don't know what to make of that.

LOL

Your case against Alta is decent and I can see some scummy elements in the way he is posting. It is a bit peculiar how his opinion of Remouk evolves throughout his posts, and then concludes with Remouk always appearing scummy. I'd like to see his defense, but I am getting a bit more of a scummy vibe from him after your analysis. My vote will stand for now, however, because I still see you as more scummy.

@Tumbleweed
So could you do something similar in terms of your analyses of all the players? I trust your opinion the most because you are the most confirmed town in my eyes.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (isolation #16) » Tue May 25, 2010 6:46 am

Post by Earlder1 »

Are you replacing Alta?

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #135 (isolation #17) » Tue May 25, 2010 6:54 am

Post by Earlder1 »

@Lord Chronos

I have no real read on you so that is the category I put you in. The people I got a neutral vibe from were placed later on the list because they are more set in their place. The three people I placed in the 2 spot are those that I'm really not sue about and thus, are more likely to be scummy that the people I am getting a neutral read from. It's not that I think you're scummy, I just don't know how to classify you.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (isolation #18) » Tue May 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Alright, well here's a bit of information about me before I answer all of the posts. I am not experienced and anyone who thinks so is mistaken. I have completed one game. I am titled "mafia scum" because that one game took around 45 pages so I ended up with a decent amount of posts, but in terms of knowing the correct way to play and scumhunt, I am still learning. Therefore, anyone who says "Earlder1 is experienced and should know better" is incorrect.

I am now going to adress the posts as they presented themselves so I may address the same person non-consecutively.

@LC
It's just my opinion that someone who tries to stay on the fence when it comes to an issue is generally trying to abstain from giving their real opinion or is just afraid to get involved. I see scum doing this more than town. When I said brian is trying to appease everyone, I was referring to both Remouk and Incog, not necessarily everyone in the game. I apologize if it was confusing. Secondly, I don't judge you as neutral. I don't have a read on you. Therefore, I included in my list as more scummier than people I have judged as neutral because your play is more likely to change my mind about your allignment. The people who I actually have reads on are a little bit more concrete in their placement. It's just the way I structured my list.

@Shadow Dancer
Refer to above. I am not all that experienced.

@Brianj
Noted.

@Incog
I felt Leech's first post was beneficial because it gave kind of a bird's eye view of all the topics that we had discussed. He touched on a lot of the early game activity and I felt it was a good perspective because he ahd not previously been involved in it. Upon rereading, I do see how it does lack personal analysis. I suppose it is all just general comments about the events so far, but I did think that was pro-town, at least for me because it gave a fresh view to everything. Now he hasn't done anything since that first post, and I do not like that either. I wouldn't say it's scummy, but it's definitely not helping anything. I suppose his activity to come will sway him more one way or another, but for now I still see him as townish.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #158 (isolation #19) » Wed May 26, 2010 11:51 am

Post by Earlder1 »

@LC

Well, I will try and break this down for you.
Neutral read - A read on someone that doesn't lean them toward either scum or town.
No read- Not having enough information to really form an opinion about someone.

It's a difference of opinion about brian. I understand that he agreed with Incog and applauded Remouk for activity. I still see that as playing the field however, and not trying to rub anyone the wrong way.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #167 (isolation #20) » Thu May 27, 2010 1:13 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

I want to be read a beutral!

My impression of shadow dancer is that he is going to be much more helpful that Alta. So far his posts seem logical and coherent (although slight grammar errs). What this means for his alignment, however, I am not sure of. He is obviously a better player that who he replaced since he is actively and logically making his mark on the game. But the best scum players will always be quite logical as well, giving then an aura of townie. We also cannot drop the reads that each of us had on Alta as well, because although the person is different, the alignment is the same. That being said, I am leaning him more towards the town, but will not forget Alta's early play.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #186 (isolation #21) » Sat May 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Sorry for my brief absence. I'm going to have LA until about Monday or so. I'll catch up then.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #211 (isolation #22) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:35 am

Post by Earlder1 »

Well sorry for the delay. I'm actually very sick right now so this post is not going to be very involved. I would like to make a few points though.

1. I have nothing to claim, I am a townie. I know this is the nail in my coffin, but so be it I suppose.

2. The probbaly reason for my poor and seemingly differnt play in this game is the enormous pressure I suffered through early on. I was never a real suspect in my newbie 919 game and in Incog's game, I was sure of the scum because of my role so that is where my confidence came from.

3. I apologize for my play and I know there is no getting out of a lynch. I am town however, so yeah, I'm sorry for causing a townie death day 1.

4. I am going to list my final reads on everyone so that you can use this information after I flip town.

Thattumbleweed- still town, even though she replaced out

Incog- town, but just remember he is quite experienced so don't discount him

Coach Travis- kind of scummy now, I don't like the way he said he would be willing to change his vote if everyone else did and then gave a lame excuse for it. He seems more removed form the game that I am, due to his "nature" of being passive. Also, iso him and see his opinions on me develop. At first he doesn't suspect me, but then as the game progresses, suddenly he thinks I'm scummy and doesn't give any strong reasons why. Keep an eye out on him.

Alta/shadowdancer- townish, I think his recent contributions outweight Alta's inconsistencies and I am getting a pretty town vibe from him.

Leech/smash- Well, I thought Leech was alright, but I don't like smash's play. He introduces a big post with people he suspects but then drops it as soon as Lord Chronos rebutals. This makes me weary because I don't see how he could have really believed in his case to begin with if he's willing to be disuaded so easily.

Lord Chronos - Townish. His posts are fine, even though I somewhat agree with some of what smash brough up. A lot of them are just prodding others and he has only really developed an opinion on me (the agreed upon most scummy player). Despite this, he is still analytical in nature and logical, as good town should be. My read is weak on him but I would lean him towards town.

Brianj- Well, perhaps I was mistaken with my initial read. Brian seems alright. Regardless I am not convinced either way that he is scum or town because, frankly, I could see him as either. I will therefore, remove my vote and claim a neutral read on him.
Unvote

Remouk- He is quite an interesting character. His content is pretty bad and has only developed a weak case against Incog, which I don't agree with. I don't know what to make of him but those of you remaining should doa meta search on him. I think this would be quite beneficial when placing his playstyle because I don't know what ot make of it right now. This is obviously not his first game because he is a "goon" and only has 10 posts in this game. Research him!

So alright then, it's been fun and I feel dumb for being lynched day 1 as town. Oh well though, I can't blame you. Hopefully my final words are helpful for scumhunting after my death. Good luck town! GG.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #223 (isolation #23) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Well, I'm still here and just want to point out a few things.

@brianj

Why will you have no access? Could you drop in at all?

@ Incog

I understand that there is a shortage of lynch candidates. Personally, I would support a CT lynch beause he is who I find scummiest. I would to a lesser degree support a Remouk or smash lynch but that's mainly because it would save me. Honestly, I am not confident lynching either of them but I would like to survive.

Welcome DTMaster. Your insights will much be appreciated.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #232 (isolation #24) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

@ Shadow Dancer

One last clarification:

I did not claim to look scummy on purpose. I commented that it's just not good to appear obvtown. I never state I purposely am acting scummy.

I am inexperienced. One game under my belt is all I have. Regardless of how well that game turned out or how long it was, I have only played here once. I think that can explain my defensive reaction because, as you should see from your meta, I was never under attack that game. Here, I was attacked, responded incorrectly, and have seemed scummy since. I am inexperienced. Do not try and refute that.

@Incog
I agree that we are very far from a different candidate for lynch with a deadline so close. If we have this extension however, please be more open minded toward other people.

About Remouk vs. ShadowDancer
I see logic in both sides, but errors as well. Shadowdancer should refer to above to find where I disagree with his statements. Remouk does makes the mistake of assuming SD's neutral read on me. He did not state that. I do think SD overreacts, however, to go as far to say he does not care about the game, is blatantly scummy, or is making thigns up. That seems overly defensive on SD's part. Remouk does hit a very correct point, however, that I was playing too casually. That is exactly right. I did think about posting my avatar quesstion before I did, and thought "is this a bad move?" but I figured it would be dismissed as early game banter. I was definitely playing too casually. I didn't expect this small thing to escalate into my lynch. That is a mistake by me, and the consequences fully make sense, it is just unfortunate.

Overall, I got a slightly more town read on Remouk for developing a case and then responding to SD'd case logically. I'm still questioning his play in general but this was a bit of hope that is town. SD's reaction seemed far too overzealous. This is an admittedly weak case and he just blew up because of it. Although mostly logical, a reaction this big was unwarranted. It reminds me of my reaction to brianj's vote because of my avatar talk. I overreacted and thus, appeared scummy. Likewise, SD appears a little more scummy to me now.

I do have to go now though. I will touch back later.

Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #626 (isolation #25) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Boo lol. Good game, even though I was only briefly a part of it.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”