Townie false role-claiming

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:01 am

Post by mathcam »

Ditto MGM's last paragraph. Even if you believe in the policy "Lynch all liars", that doesn't necessarily imply "Never never never lie if you're pro-town." It just means that you should only lie if you think there's a tangible gain to doing so, and that the gain outweighs the negative of being caught lying (and subsequently lynched).

Another complicating factor is that even if you're pro-town, your goals as an individual may not coincide with the goals of the town, so the two following questions:
Telamon wrote:Is it ever to the town's advantage for a townie to claim to have a power/role that he doesn't?
Telamon could have wrote:Is it ever to a townie's advantage to claim to have a power/role that he doesn't?
have very different answers. Really, I think the second is a more poignant question...players should make their decisions based on
their
goals, not those of the town.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #12 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:51 am

Post by mathcam »

jeep wrote: *shrug* easy to make up scenarios though. But it's so rarely in the towns favor to lie that I say- Lynch all liars.
-JEEP
But I think that even if you take this stance, that doesn't necessarily imply that you shouldn't lie as town. Again, I think the distinction between the two stances is the difference between the two questions "Is it good for the town if a townie lies about his role?" and "Is it good for the townie if he/she lies about his role?" Your argument, and the generic "lynch all liars" stance, gives at least one viewpoint toward answering the first question.

As I mentioned above, however, I think the second question is more to the point, since it addresses what a player
should
do in a given situation (which is to play according to his/her own best interests), and gives a different answer. For example, it may be advantageous for a townie to lie to make himself more appealing to be recuited by a cult, say in a game where it looks likely that said cult will win. This is obviously an instance where the townie's best interests and the town's best interests do not coincide.

Cam

Return to “Mafia Discussion”