The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #765 (isolation #0) » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:58 am

Post by The Fonz »

UncertainKitten wrote:TOLD YOU! TOLD YOU GERHARD WAS THIRD PARTY!

Hell, I think I even called cult on him!

Surprised at only two scum though :S. Ah well.
Thing is... cult in a mini is insane, and a terrible fit for the flavour. When someone flips alien (and pink, whilst not the usual mafia colour, is associated with the aliens in X-Com) in a game where the flavour is two-sided, you usually deal with it. Tbh, I did think cult after several days of only one death- Tentaculat is the TFTD version of the Cryssalid, right? When everyone claimed VT, I pretty much knew it was one scum left- vs 3 groupscum and a third party, town needs a fuckload of power to balance it. That said, you still have to play worst case scenario- and I had reasons beyond plausibility of being one of a pair to suspect claude.

However, the cult variation this had was better than a normal cult by several million miles- the alt system allowed the Tentaculat to take over the account, without the original player's wc changing (so no problem with a player playing for one side all game then getting culted at the death).

The fact that being 'fully' culted required a positive action on behalf of the player, and that if that didn't happen the player could continue playing as normal, but counted towards the Culter's WC, was cool, as was the fact that if they didn't choose to lash out, the player could warn the town of the cult's existence.

The biggest of my many problems with the cult mechanic is that they actually have very little skill involved- usually, one of two things happen- either the CR dies early on, and it's a nonfactor, or it gets discovered too late, and town's basically screwed through no fault of its own. (Seriously, CRs seem to be N1 NK targets for scum far more than chance would suggest). Very rarely does the town know there's a cult, and still have time to do anything about it.

I think I'm going to nominate the role for a scummy.

I kinda feel sorry for Malth, cause obviously the cult mechanic must have been 80% or so of the interest in this game for him, and then the bastard goes and gets crosskilled N1.

On a side note, Chaco- I hope you can see why i changed my mind on you. In early game, a player who avoids a bad wagon, and says they suspect the scum, looks townish. If that player then doesn't run the scum up when given the chance, the picture is completely different. Whilst you may have felt Igor was scummy as hell, the way he was playing made him almost the perfect target for scum looking for an alternative to bussing his scumbuddy- and in fact, that's precisely what happened. It just wasn't you. That was part of my town read on Jaime, too- he looked like exactly the kind of player scum would try to push as an alternative to themselves.

Also, I've only used it as an argument in thread a handful of times, but the 'middle of the pack scum' tell has never yet been wrong. (I'm sure it will be at some point- but i still think it's damn useful).
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #769 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:57 am

Post by The Fonz »

UncertainKitten wrote: Anyway, I've improved a bit since our first game together, ne :P?
That one still pisses me off. This was a lot more like Ye Olde Tymes FL, minus the conspiracy theory. You actually listened to my argument for Jaime, which made me happy.
Chaco wrote:Yeah, my tunnel vision and coasting wasn't exactly helping anything.
Coasting, certainly not. But your tunnelvision helped me read you as town. It's quite hard for scum to fake tunneling- i can only do it when i genuinely think i've been grossly misrepresented.

Dizzle wrote:Like I said in the QT, I wasn't surprised at all at my NK thanks to multiple people, including Claude, declaring me town. Good work finding him out dudes.
I was kinda expecting me. Tbh, I was surprised Claude chose to kill Igor rather than you or I. We weren't exactly easy lynches either, and Igor was a VI, who could have been expected, i think, to tunnel on whoever the first person to express suspicion of him was. I know I'd have been a lot more reluctant to NL in a town which also included the Leon vs Jaime townfight AND Igor, because that's a whole lot of wrong floating around. In which case, that day could very easily have gone down to competing Leon and Jaime wagons, with whoever survived looking terrible when the other flips town.

Having you there meant I felt there was one reliable town player guaranteed to be there at EG. (No offence, UK, but your role had lurked so much all game that i found it hard to trust you however well you played).

Also: @Mod, you really shouldn't have posted the 'you know the townie pm is in the first page, right?' comment, because it very much indicated to me that in fact, neither did.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #771 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 am

Post by The Fonz »

UncertainKitten wrote:
Fonz wrote:
That one still pisses me off. This was a lot more like Ye Olde Tymes FL, minus the conspiracy theory. You actually listened to my argument for Jaime, which made me happy.
What happened in Ye Olde Tymes? I didn't play that one I don't think.
You kidding me? The one modded by Shea, with you, me, Ether, and Yos? Where you and Raging Rabbit spent the game tunneling on each other, but we ended up compromising by lynching scum instead.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #775 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:56 am

Post by The Fonz »

It wasn't that amazing. Like I said, that Emile post that prompted the unreasoned vote (that kicked off the wagon) was
really scummy
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #777 (isolation #4) » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:04 am

Post by The Fonz »

Eh? Stuart realising that Emile was scum was amazing FOR YOU?

Thoughts on the green room:

1. So Igor really would have gone after Leon or Jaime if he'd lived.
2. LOLOL chamber thought I was Shea! (Although, Shea and are are actually reasonably similar players. We tend to agree on mafia theory, and disagree on EVERYTHING ELSE).

Seriously, though, the Jaime-hate. There's a huge difference between having absolutely no filter for what you're saying, and being scum.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #780 (isolation #5) » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:15 am

Post by The Fonz »

No, that was legen...

wait for it...

dary.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #782 (isolation #6) » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Only a problem if he'd claimed day one.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #784 (isolation #7) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:58 am

Post by The Fonz »

That would have been a problem. The cop was dead. There was even less reason than usual to do it.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #786 (isolation #8) » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 am

Post by The Fonz »

Lol. I don't think 'I wasn't paying attention' is a good excuse to do something antitown.

(For the same reason i think that people who random vote on entry to a game are idiots).

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”