Lurking vs. Keeping Quiet

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Is there a difference?

No... there's no excuse not to post to a game each time you're on mafiascum.
15%
Maybe... not entirely sure. Sometimes I stay quiet, sometimes I'm a chatterbox.
30%
Yes... sometimes it's better to keep quiet than post just for the sake of posting.
55%

Total votes: 60

mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #14 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:42 am

Post by mathcam »

This will echo a lot of sentiments already expressed, but I agree that posting "I have noting to say" is still essentially lurking, and keeping quiet is saying essentially the same thing as saying "I have nothing to say." So yeah, I think intentionally keeping quiet
is
lurking (at least to a near approximation).

My rule for games in general is somewhat Kantian: I only play a certain way if I would find it fun if everyone played in the same way. Not only would the "I'm waiting for something interesting to happen" attitude not be fun, there would be no game at all. In my mind, it's that simple.

Oh, and I love this line:
mathcam wrote:Another example is mathcam, who comes up with so many ideas that some of them are bound to stink. mathcam is lynched for those bad ones, while the town prospers from his good ones.
I'd put it as my title if it weren't too long, and I'd put in as my signature except that if I did, every time I came up with a plan from now on, people would make some stupid reference to the quote and lynch me. But really, that's an awesome quote.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:24 am

Post by mathcam »

No... there's no excuse not to post to a game each time you're on mafiascum.
Yes... sometimes it's better to keep quiet than post just for the sake of posting.
Well, I think a lot of people might agree but have voted differently. The above choices are not mutually exclusive. I agree that it's sometimes better to keep quiet than post just for the sake of posting, but I also think it's better to post for real than to be quiet. There of course
are
excuses for not posting
each
time you log on, say external time constraints, but I don't think there's any excuse for prolonged deliberate silence.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #22 (isolation #2) » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:04 am

Post by mathcam »

There is a difference between mailing lists and a game of mafia. A mailing list is a venue for thoughts and messages if they occur, so not posting to them is simply a sign of not having any thoughts to share. A mafia game is a vehicle that has to be moved by its participants for it to function. Mailing lists
allow
communication, mafia games
require
it.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #23 (isolation #3) » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:06 am

Post by mathcam »

Oh, and the first part, if you can't manage to not say something stupid, then probably again you shouldn't be playing mafia. :) You don't have to go out of your way to be talkative and generate potentially-self-lynching ideas, just maintain an observable presence in the game.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #25 (isolation #4) » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:24 pm

Post by mathcam »

Sure enough. :) But you'll almost certainly find someone who'll criticize your posting no matter what style you use. So given that you leave yourself open to this no matter what/how often you post, everyone might as well post to at least make sure the game progresses while this goes on. And though the accusations are made, I think often enough *most* people have the sense to realize that the argument's a stretch.

Cam

Return to “Mafia Discussion”