Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:25 am

Post by zoraster »

Nominate: popsofctown
for Don Corleone.

As an example, take Mafia 105

Pops played a flawless game as scum, coming across as definite town (or at least I thought so), but also perfectly and subtly distancing himself from his partner hiphop, which proved a valuable tool when it came to lylo.

In an anonymous post game survey, 9 out of 14 players voted popsofctown the player of the game. Only roflcopter's excellent cop play contested this, garnering 3 votes.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Post by zoraster »

then you're eligible for best newbie. better go out and earn it.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #27 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:14 am

Post by zoraster »

hasdgfas wrote:
imaginality wrote:
Third popsofctown
for Don Corleone.

Nominate: zoraster
for best new role for
traitor vig
from zoraster's Mafia 105.

Giving the traitor the ability to kill until he is recruited makes the mafia's decision of whether and when to recruit the traitor an interesting question, while the traitor doesn't know who the mafia are, and therefore has to choose carefully who to kill just as a town vig does, but in reverse.
Seems rather un-normal to me, tbh. Plus, it seems like a poorly designed role to me. I don't see the appeal of it at all. It seems to encourage sub-optimal play.
I don't dispute it's unnormality or whatever and don't see the need for the nomination because of that perhaps, but it's not a poorly designed role. Can you elaborate what you mean by suboptimal play?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #260 (isolation #3) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:59 am

Post by zoraster »

Nominate: Hoopla for Professor Mafia
for this http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 94#2185294

This contribution is huge. Not only does it take a long time, but it helps to stop the endless chatter without any data. Data is good. It helps us make informed comments without relying on simple anecdotal evidence that is fraught with problems.

I am grateful for the contributions made already on behalf of some essayists, but to my mind, Hoopla's contribution here is something that helps Mafia Discussion (Professor Mafia=Contribution to Mafia Discussion) in ways that essays can't possibly hope to do.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #266 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:41 pm

Post by zoraster »

Shanba wrote:Look, I accept we're going to have differences of opinion on things like these, and I can accept that she gets nommed for collecting the data - ultimately the judges will make the decision as to what they think is most important. But I don't see what hoopla is adding as that notable.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate it and I hope she continues to get data for analysis, but what does the data actually tell us? I mean, it's just a list of win percentages relating to different setup types. It's a great starting point for discussion about balance, and I hope people take up that opportunity (I'm going to make some comments in a bit). But this kind of thing has been done before: there are countless people who have run stats on newbie games win percentages, and I know that I myself have done something like this before, and a google search reveals that you have too, Adel. What makes this particularly noteworthy?

(As to why I think the things I nominated to are particularly noteworthy, as someone is inevitably going to throw this in my face: I think that both JD and shea are raising topics that aren't often discussed yet have relevance to the way that people play mafia. JD's is more self serving and shea's is more notable imo, but I'm interested in seeing what JD adds in the continuation of his series.)

This is intended to spark debate btw. If you disagree, please please please say why and don't just blow me off. Adel, I'm looking at you here.
I certainly don't want to minimize the contribution of others writing essays and the like. But I think you're wrong to dismiss the contribution of data.

I think comparing Hoopla's data to newbie data is useful, but newbie data is more easily collectible as there's a limit to the number of setups possible and each gets reported and cataloged together, making compiling the data relatively simple if a little mind-numbing. Hoopla's, on the other hand, not only shows whether town or scum won but the actual setup. Having tried to do this on a limited number of games before, it is really tough stuff to do because mods aren't always great about including what the setup was on the front page. That can lead to a lot of hunting for information.

Obviously the data does not show anything in and of itself. But it gives the opportunity for analysis that did not exist before. It helps fight bad conventional wisdom. It helps people more rationally think about the balance of the games they're creating. 63% win rate for scum is HUGE. In the NFL, the owners were convinced to change playoff rules because the winner of the coin toss had gotten SUCH an advantage in recent years... and that was something like 59%.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #270 (isolation #5) » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Post by zoraster »

sorry, i wasn't clear. I meant in 9:3 setups which are often thought of as the default setup for a 12 person game, the scum win rate is 62% which is huge.

And the fact that other setups lead to lower scum win rates (some close to a 50/50 split) gives some hope for balance.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #325 (isolation #6) » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:37 am

Post by zoraster »

Nominate Ythill for Mafia Catcher

Yes, it's true he wasn't technically a player in the game, and I had to think hard about whether Ythill or shaft.ed was more appropriate, but Ythill was, until the very last, 3/3 in pegging scum. He lost it when there was a lot of evidence that exonerated Zang, but even then he had the insight that Zang might be a gunsmith framer -- not exactly a "normal" thing to have in a game. Shaft.ed certainly deserves honorable mention for pushing Zang so hard, but Ythill was amazing at catching scum this game.

Anyway, that game is: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 93&start=0
And the thread he did this in was: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 07&start=0
Last edited by zoraster on Thu May 06, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #328 (isolation #7) » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 am

Post by zoraster »

animorpherv1 wrote:
nominate Zang for Best Role Claim - Almost No Rules Mafia link above)

That Bodyguard claim was amazing. I, as the gunsmith, believed we had a town win when I got TNM as having a gun,becuase the claim was not only belivable, but it was the fact the it said that he died if he protected right.
This was actually the fake claim I gave him at the beginning of the game, but I'll let him take the credit ;)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #332 (isolation #8) » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:38 am

Post by zoraster »

Yeah, perhaps I should be clearer. Not only was it a safe claim, but the role PM itself was made by me prior to the game starting. I realized this would be necessary given the possibility of crypto claims.

Not to take anything away from Zang, of course.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #365 (isolation #9) » Sat May 29, 2010 11:42 am

Post by zoraster »

Nominate the Mafia of Pledge of Allegiance for Best Scum Team

I was thoroughly impressed by the TEAMWORK that these guys showed.

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... c&&start=0 for the thread, but almost more importantly, take a look at the QT:

http://www.quicktopic.com/44/H/Kit5bYqWBfn
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #368 (isolation #10) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:52 pm

Post by zoraster »

StrangerCoug wrote:Can a player nominated for one game be nominated in the same category for another?

Regardless,
nominate MacavityLock for Most Cunning Manipulation.
Start reading here, because that's the post that, once people started taking him as confirmed, sealed the game for us.
My theory: technically, they should not be. It should be amended to the original nomination. This is because the category is called "Body of Work" which refers to the play in general of the player. Most nominations, however, attempt to provide some evidence of that body of work through a game or games. Therefore, this should be added to the nomination he already has.

That said, I don't see macavitylock nominated for that award already.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #370 (isolation #11) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:14 pm

Post by zoraster »

animorpherv1 wrote:can nominate multiple people for the same game, I think.
I don't think that's his question.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #380 (isolation #12) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:06 am

Post by zoraster »

Those are actually fourth, fifth and sixth on Ythan.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #383 (isolation #13) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:55 am

Post by zoraster »

yes. yes i did. Stupid Yth names. You'd think one of you would be enough.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #577 (isolation #14) » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:14 am

Post by zoraster »

By the way, I just want to advise people making nominations to be specific when they nominate. Just saying
nominate zoraster for best looking mod
is annoying. Give a reason why you're doing it, and preferably with some links.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #583 (isolation #15) » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Post by zoraster »

I have no problem with someone who played elsewhere then came here being labeled as a newbie, but that's just me.

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”