Newbie 835: Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Post by Humble Poirot »

/confirm (the first one!!! :D)
If you are to be Hercule Poirot, you must think of everything.
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Post by Humble Poirot »

lol... you need to do a GIF that says NINJA'D... XD

They're pretty cool, by the way...
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (isolation #2) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:30 am

Post by Humble Poirot »

Double A wrote:
vote: orangepenguin

random.org

Why are you so interested in specifying that this was a complete random vote?
Kirbyoshi wrote:
YJ wrote:We start now?
I'm pretty sure when Thok says "as soon as he confirms," he means "as soon as he confirms."

Vote: Humble Poirot

My first time using random.org, ever.
The same as before.
Kirbyoshi wrote:Then just self-vote (because you're gonna change it anyway) or reroll. Random votes are a good way to get discussion going.
No. I don't think random votes ON THEIR OWN get discussion going but they give us something to do. Reactions to votes and waggons and all that will allow people to try and read others.
Double A wrote:That's what's so fun about mafia though. You vote someone and then judge their reaction. Then you contact your
buddies
and try to get whatever the hell is going on in the game.
Sorry? Your buddies?
Double A wrote:He's acting kind of edgy THEREFORE HE MUST BE SCUM
How serious do you consider this statement to be? How useful?
Kirbyoshi wrote:I don't have a vote that stands yet either. Does that make me scummy? Also, I re-rolled on random.org, and you came up.

Vote: Webz
if you felt that you had enough to respond and vote webz... why the need to say that webz "casually" came up in random.org?

I agree with Webz in that people shouldn't justify their votes with random.org. That leaves no space for reaction because there's no, however small, reason for the vote. No need to reply.

@Devotress: Are you comfy with joking for 20 days? :?
Double A wrote:I said that in a game before and I got lynched
What do you mean? Is that a threat to webz or what? (
Poirot gasps
)

From what I have now... I need to decide wether to vote kirby or AA (Ha! Do you like that nick? Pure creativity)

but I will go with AA due to accumulated possible clues.

Vote Double A
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (isolation #3) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:35 am

Post by Humble Poirot »

Devo... the game started in post # 29...

Yours vote was the only vote I had.

If I had 2 votes against me I would need 3 more votes to get lynched...

Do you seriously think that 3 players (even if 2 of them are scum) will vote me quickly and lynch me? Without reasons? Without making themselves awfully suspicious?

I think that L-1 (1 to lynch) might be a bit more dangerous but L-3 definetly isn't.
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (isolation #4) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:07 am

Post by Humble Poirot »

YamiJoey wrote: I have to agree that Webz does look a tad scummy for being almost
too
pro-Town
EXCUUUUUSE MEEE??? :shock:

So... being too pro-town means someone is scummy? I don't understand...

oh... I knew I had read this somewhere...

Too Townie

Yours is a logical fallacy.

I'd like your opinions about it after you read the article. Does it change something? What? Why?
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (isolation #5) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:37 am

Post by Humble Poirot »

YamiJoey wrote:I understand what the article is saying, (and thus; you) but there is the idea behind it. Trying to force themselves into being seen as Town rather than letting people simply assume it. Which is bad Mafia behaviour, if you ask me.
I understand what you're saying. You mean that someone trying to auto-clear themselves may be scummy but this game is not just about finding scum, etc, etc. You also have to be readable (as town) so others may guess your allignment and act accordingly.

If you're an anti-town townie and you get lynched because of it you're only hurting your team's chances so I rather have 9 pro-town players, even if you consider them to be too pro town.

For the record, I'll take my time to call someone pro-town or anti-town and to call them scum or town.
YamiJoey wrote:I understand that by keeping my position on this I'm looking scummy, but lets face it; this post can only reinforce anyone's suspicions unless I had other evidence as to why Webz would be Scum, which I don't as it is about the only thing that has happened so far.

I did also argue against my own point in that post, so it's clear that I did understand I had a flawed argument, but a pair of FoS' that had
]some
basis was better than random.org, isn't it?
Way better than random org. All this talk is healthy. Knowing what everyone thinks will help us to read each other and determine who is more likely scum.
YamiJoey wrote: EBWOP: I know this also makes me look scummy, but I doubt that Double A (Semi-Experienced) would make a similar mistake, so I'll take him off of that list. I'd rather be wrong at the moment, as it's all I've seen to go off, but at the end of the day I have no proof.
mmm... I'm kinda lost... what's the mistake again? Why wouldn't an SE do that?

Mind you, there will never be "proof", just theories and deductions. Only PR's (in this game, only a cop) might have proof, and yet, he still needs to be believed by the town.

To the IC:
What course of action do you think is most proper to find scum in a newbie game?
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (isolation #6) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Post by Humble Poirot »

Kirbyoshi wrote:Also,
HP wrote:
To the IC:
What course of action do you think is most proper to find scum in a newbie game?
I'd be careful saying this kind of stuff,a tleast until the IC is cleared. ICs are just as likely to be scum as the rest of us.
Don't think for a sec that I will think that the IC must be town. We all have the same chances to be scum or town so...

I just wanted to know what he has to say. Asking questions, getting answers and answering other people's questions helps a great deal(as long as they're not totally irrelevant or we flood the game with too much small stuff) so I'd let people answer before I comment on questions not posed to myself.

Thank you.
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (isolation #7) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Post by Humble Poirot »

Kirbyoshi wrote:Are you trying to shut me up? Afraid I'll out you as scum?
:? did you actually read my post? How is encouraging talk shutting you up?

I only asked you to refrain your comments if the person who is supposed to answer something hasn't done already. Then you may give your own answer and opinions. If you do it before, you're spoiling the purpose of my question.
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (isolation #8) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:16 pm

Post by Humble Poirot »

Kirbyoshi wrote:I don't think I was spoiling the purpose of your question at all; I didn't answer for "OP the IC", nor did my comment keep him from answering any question posed to him.
HP wrote:I'd let people answer before I comment on questions not posed to myself.

Thank you.
I still think this part of the post is meant to stifle me. It's not working, but it's worth noting that it seems like "Hercules" is trying to stop me from speaking my mind when I want to. Any thoughts from anyone else?
Ok. Let's see. If I ask someone a question and you inmediatly dissaprove of that question, whatever your reasons. You're therefore affecting the player's original, uninterfered, response. Wich was what I was looking for. An original reaction.

If you think that what I'm asking means that I'm stoping from speaking your mind then you are correct. I don't want you to answer for others before they even post. I think it's detrimental to my reads.

Do you think what I did was scummy? Why don't you say so instead of just saying "it's worth noting" without explaining what conclusion you may get...? Why do you feel the need to ask for someone elses opinion of what you read? in general? Do you feel that you need someone to support your views to pursue a thought?

Mod edit: equal opportunity quote fixing.
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (isolation #9) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Post by Humble Poirot »

EBWOP: something failed there... :?

I carried on his quote fail...
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (isolation #10) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:10 am

Post by Humble Poirot »

Kirby wrote: So, what you're saying is that once a question is posed, no one is supposed to post anything pertaining to that subject until the question is answered?
I wouldn't say "subject". This is open to argumentation, actually but I feel that discouraging or attacking a question before it is responded gives the target of said question an open field to use.
Kirby wrote: I wasn't answering for him, I was simply commenting on your question, and giving you some advice that I thought was good. You don't have to follow it if you don't want to.
Again. It was the way in wich you treated my question. The advice in itself (not thinking IC's as cleared) is good.

I agree with Webz #73 in wich the cop must chose his target on his own. If the cop inspects someone who dies then that inspection will be useless. Sometimes, it may even be good to inspect someone who you have no read on instead of someone that you read as scummy. Conclusion: Town PRs: do what you want. Scum: Dont kill. :P

Also, remember there's 4 possible setups in this game. Cop may not appear so we can't rely on him.
Thok: The Mod wrote: a. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, and 5 vanilla townies
b. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, and 7 vanilla townies
c. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Cop, and 6 vanilla townies
d. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, and 6 vanilla townies
Webz wrote: Also, no one vote for AA (though I still have the case on him). He's at L-2 already, so someone could hammer him at L-1 and hide behind the fact that it's the first day of their first game.
If someone hammers without REALLY GOOD reasons then I'm gonna put him on top of my scum list. There's no such thing as a free hammer because it's the first day. Hammering is a great power and we all know that "with great power comes great responsibility".

Devotress: Who is Humble Pairot??? XD

And Devo is right... We need input from Yabba and FA ASAP. If people don't post we can't try to read them. If that happens then we are in a bad position to find scum. Preview EDIT: Yabba posted. Cool. Will read on his future posts and expect his answers.
Webz wrote: HP: You did misunderstand Kirb as "answering your question" when it is pretty clear he didn't. I'm still think what he said was in no was pro-town, but you have misinterpreted here. Other than that, you haven't slipped up anywhere and seem pro-town to me.
I don't want to sound stubborn or arrogant but I don't recall saying he answered for the IC. I said he commented on it. I think I made myself pretty clear in #57, #61 and #68. By discouraging it he prevents me from doing my original read.

YamiJoey: Can you enclose your future quotes in [ quote ][ /quote ] tags, please? It makes it easier to read.

I know that my suggestions may be annoying but I'd also like to forbid all further setup speculation to avoid giving clues to the scum.

If and when someone claims or flips we will deal with it. Right now it won't be of any use.
yabba wrote: @HP-42: I don't know why you're getting on OP for his random vote.
errr... I don't really get what you mean...

As for giving out town or scum reads... I'd say that I have some preliminary reads:
Scum read on AA and a town read on YamiJoey. But it's not definite and relies a great deal on my instincts plus some things that have called my attention. I need to reread everyone's posts and get some more input before I can convince myself that I'm right about someone. Besides, fallen angel has not posted yet.
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #158 (isolation #11) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:23 am

Post by Humble Poirot »

BAH POST:

lol... I was expecting this...

I'm truly sorry I was absent during this weekend and did not have a chance to post...

Good luck. Go Town!

Make me proud. :wink:

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”