Scummies thoughts...

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Scummies thoughts...

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

I'm not really sure where this is going, but I thought I'd just pour out my stream-of-consciousness and see what I end up with.

Pretty much all of the individuals I have seen nominated for Best Town Performance are players who made a lasting impact on the game, usually leading the town in hunting down pretty much all the scum. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but what about the players who nail a couple scum single handed and then get killed off by the mafia early for being too effective in their scumhunting? I would think that in many cases, those players might be *more* deserving of an award than the first set of people. One has to ask, if that first set of people was so effective at scumhunting that they got nominated for an award, why didn't they get killed by the mafia before it was too late? Obviously, circumstances vary, but it seems that often nominations for best town player are going to people who played against scum who were bad at their job (or at least worse than the ones who killed their threats early on).

So, is there any weight to this, or are the people who live long enough to help nail all the scum just that much better? Obviously, there is no 100% generalization that can be made and there are always exceptions to the rule, but perhaps we can at least recalibrate our perception of what constitutes a great town player as a result of this discussion.
Permanent V/LA.
Mastin
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Unabridged
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Post by Mastin »

New category:

Largest Threat to the Mafia,
or
Most Night-killable,
or
Too good to Scum Hunt,
Or something along those lines. Simple as that. Especially if mafia share their after-game chat and pretty much everyone thinks they did TOO good a job of scum hunting.
I'm back! Well, kind-of.
No Access on Weekends
. :/
Advid reader/contributor to MD, as I'm far better in theory than I am in reality. :P

True to my word, I'm retiring. Totally not me. :P
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Just nominate players who are doing what you suggest. If they're really doing a good job, they'll get seconded.

If you think the *judges* are favoring those that live longer, well, that's a different question... I've seen several people who were nominated for just what you're talking about, but I can't think who they were right this second. I doubt Glork lives long anymore...
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Birthday! Happy Scumday!

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Post by roflcopter »

this really feels like a "waaah why don't i get nominated" thread
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Neh, I don't think MoS has even signed up for a game in awhile. Has he played one this year? I've just seen him modding as of late.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

PokerFace wrote:Neh, I don't think MoS has even signed up for a game in awhile. Has he played one this year? I've just seen him modding as of late.
This is often a sign of someone who plays under alts...
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 5:37 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Mr. Flay wrote:Just nominate players who are doing what you suggest. If they're really doing a good job, they'll get seconded.
So you mean players like the shaft/elvis hydra that vig scum RB day 1, push the lynch of the scum Doctor immediately after and leave a roadmap to certain victory before getting killed by the last remaining mafia member?
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 6:48 am

Post by gorckat »

shaft.ed wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:Just nominate players who are doing what you suggest. If they're really doing a good job, they'll get seconded.
So you mean players like the shaft/elvis hydra that vig scum RB day 1, push the lynch of the scum Doctor immediately after and leave a roadmap to certain victory before getting killed by the last remaining mafia member?
No- not that at all, I'm sure :lol:
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 6:58 am

Post by PokerFace »

shaft.ed wrote:
You talking about the same hydra that also vidged town me when I was sick? I said that in thread and said that was part of why I was inactive. Other part is you
know
for a fact shaft.ed that I lurk whenever I am bored. And I am prone to boredum when I don't have a descent night action to plan. When Muerte claimed and my hungarian role became useless I lurked didn't I? I loves IRC so much cause every role has an action so me not bored. You said it yourself to xyl that just making me think I have a great night action is enough to keep me active. Of all people you should have known I was obv bored vanilla. But don't worry I don't really hold it against you. I've lost count on how many times I've been vidged in the past and since you guys are my friends its cool. Who decided to shoot us anyway? You or Elvis?

Aside from that though you did play pretty well though. If you'd read my posts in that game you'd see one of my last ones pointed at the last scum being among, Ortohoops, RW, Jscope. So you weren't the only ones on the right path. Town lost that game because they went after lurkers when we were gone. Not a single dead lurker was scum or even remotely connected to scum. People need to hunt scum before they hunt lurkers. That's why we lost there.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 10:47 am

Post by shaft.ed »

PF, it was really simple, the players who were voting for Yos were all cleared as town. Thus it was our job as vidge to make the town move more quickly through the players that were not voting for Yos. You were chosen by both myself and elvis independently for the kill. Looking back on it, we might have been better off picking a player that was less likely to be lynched but we really didn't think the town would have trouble lynching the remaining fish in the barrel.

And since when to you not think a vidge taking out a scummy-appearing townie is a good thing?
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Birthday! Happy Scumday!

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 11:07 am

Post by roflcopter »

aren't we supposed to wait til both games are over before discussing either?
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 11:10 am

Post by shaft.ed »

I don't know. It's not ongoing though so we can talk about it. But I can't talk about why I know that because that's onoging.

OMG Catch-22
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

Mastin wrote:New category:

Largest Threat to the Mafia,
or
Most Night-killable,
or
Too good to Scum Hunt,
Or something along those lines. Simple as that. Especially if mafia share their after-game chat and pretty much everyone thinks they did TOO good a job of scum hunting.
haha mastin
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

One might say that those people were ineffective at convincing the town of scum, but in a way that didn't alert maifa that they were the mastermind at scumhunting. Of course I think maybe Jesus could accomplish that.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Post by PokerFace »

shaft.ed wrote:PF, it was really simple, the players who were voting for Yos were all cleared as town. Thus it was our job as vidge to make the town move more quickly through the players that were not voting for Yos. You were chosen by both myself and elvis independently for the kill. Looking back on it, we might have been better off picking a player that was less likely to be lynched but we really didn't think the town would have trouble lynching the remaining fish in the barrel.

And since when to you not think a vidge taking out a scummy-appearing townie is a good thing?
That's just it. Only reason people thought I was scum was I was not posting during the Yos lynch. There was no other reason; You said that was only reason in thread. And you know I lurk or don't post when I am bored. You've seen me do it and you know I am active otherwise considering my love of power roles. I'm disputing your reasons for shooting me. Whether I was sick or not the obv conclusion someone like you should of gotten from your history with me was PF = Vanilla town. I guess I'll save more of this just in case for later though...

I don't get your comment ectomancer but I do see some of the main point of this thread. More deserving players should be nomed and win. Self noming victory or campaigning for a nom should probably be avoided now.

:?
wait didn't Adel campaign for nom and then get a best scum award for "mature" mafia...
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Well, I'd have to say if a player draws doc protection or catches scum without being seen as threatening enough to be killed and goes on to catch the other scum, they played much better than the player who goes all out in getting one scum lynched and while they may have named the other scum, they only managed to lynch one before being killed.

^Longest sentence ever.

Really though. The win condition is to eliminate ALL threats to the town. Not to eliminate one threat, name the others, and die.

I could see a player being killed Night 1 and still winning the scummy though if their posting/actions led to other correct lynches.

------------------------

And in double head, I'm pretty sure we can talk about the finished game. Just not the ongoing one.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 1:05 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

But Poker the point was all we had to do was lynch/vig you, Zaph, Zmd, J-Scope in any order and we win. Scum didn't have enough kills so it didn't matter what order the killing was done in.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Post by PokerFace »

shaft.ed wrote:But Poker the point was all we had to do was lynch/vig you, Zaph, Zmd, J-Scope in any order and we win. Scum didn't have enough kills so it didn't matter what order the killing was done in.
OH, RW, JS = shorter order less town casualty. You didn't have to go after the lurkers (Zaph, ZMD, me, Hogfather). Don't trim the fat, trim the threat. None of them were scum and you should have known I was town. Skip the lurkers and shoot who has reason for being scum (
you, Zaph, Zmd,
J-Scope). I don't know if elvis knows pf lurks only when bored, but you do. You've seen me do it. Vidge scum over lurkers always. That's all I'm saying. You did play awesome I won't dispute that. Too bad that wasn't enough. I'll say more to everybody in general later though since this is becoming a bit of a thread jack.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Post by Adel »

Kmd4390 wrote: And in double head, I'm pretty sure we can talk about the finished game. Just not the ongoing one.
That is the way I see it.

~~~

I don't think that y'all are giving the scum hydra that survived in that game enough credit. They overcame huge obstacles to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

The town didn't mess up, the town got
played
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

If you think the *judges* are favoring those that live longer, well, that's a different question... I've seen several people who were nominated for just what you're talking about, but I can't think who they were right this second. I doubt Glork lives long anymore...
I'm not sure exactly what I think, hence the whole steam of consciousness thing. It just seems that the general conception of the award follows along the lines of what I outlined in the first post. I mean, it's easy enough to say "oh hey, why don't you just nominate those people?", but why wasn't this *already* happening on a regular basis? Besides which, I don't ever read mafia games that I'm not in, so I'm not really one to go around nominating people.
roflcopter wrote:this really feels like a "waaah why don't i get nominated" thread
lol
PokerFace wrote:Neh, I don't think MoS has even signed up for a game in awhile. Has he played one this year? I've just seen him modding as of late.
this.
Xylthixlm wrote:
This is often a sign of someone who plays under alts...
I have a total of one alt that has ever played in a game...and I wasn't the one using the account. =P
shaft.ed wrote:
Thanks for pushing the rest of this thread way off topic. =_=
Permanent V/LA.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2009 11:34 pm

Post by ortolan »

Adel wrote:The town didn't mess up, the town got
played
I disagree with this. J-Scope did play well; however we always suspected them and were all set to lynch them in the final 3. There is no possible way you can say the town self-destructing wasn't a very (!) large factor in that game.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2009 1:35 am

Post by PokerFace »

Ok let's get this back on topic a little. Mos, you seen any games/players that fit the bill here?

Also which is better,
Catch one perfectly and get night killed
or
Point at a bunch of scum logically then get mafia killed
or
Vidge a bunch then get shot yourself
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2009 6:15 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

MoS tell me your Alt and I'll be sure to nominate it.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2009 6:17 am

Post by shaft.ed »

PokerFace wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:But Poker the point was all we had to do was lynch/vig you, Zaph, Zmd, J-Scope in any order and we win. Scum didn't have enough kills so it didn't matter what order the killing was done in.
OH, RW, JS = shorter order less town casualty. You didn't have to go after the lurkers (Zaph, ZMD, me, Hogfather). Don't trim the fat, trim the threat. None of them were scum and you should have known I was town. Skip the lurkers and shoot who has reason for being scum (
you, Zaph, Zmd,
J-Scope). I don't know if elvis knows pf lurks only when bored, but you do. You've seen me do it. Vidge scum over lurkers always. That's all I'm saying. You did play awesome I won't dispute that. Too bad that wasn't enough. I'll say more to everybody in general later though since this is becoming a bit of a thread jack.
But OH and RW were already cleared as town. I wasn't clearing lurkers I was clearing unconfirmed town. And I've never seen you lurk when bored. My only in game interaction with you was mod'ing Monty Python where you posted more than anyone in the game (thanks for that btw :D )
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 am

Post by PokerFace »

shaft.ed wrote:
PokerFace wrote:
you, Zaph, Zmd,
But OH and RW were already cleared as town. I wasn't clearing lurkers I was clearing unconfirmed town. And I've never seen you lurk when bored. My only in game interaction with you was mod'ing Monty Python where you posted more than anyone in the game (thanks for that btw :D )
I posted more in that game than any other cause I was laughing and very amused. Loved the role and loved the game. When Muerte fake claimed something that fucked my role, I was no longer amused I was practically heart broken. And I started to post less as a result. I was trying to say you've seen and talked about both extremes cause I was both there though I was obv very entertained for most of that game. You need to make a sequel to it. Instead of flying circus, run "And Now for something completly different". That would be super awesome!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”