Scummies thoughts...

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Scummies thoughts...

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun May 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

I'm not really sure where this is going, but I thought I'd just pour out my stream-of-consciousness and see what I end up with.

Pretty much all of the individuals I have seen nominated for Best Town Performance are players who made a lasting impact on the game, usually leading the town in hunting down pretty much all the scum. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but what about the players who nail a couple scum single handed and then get killed off by the mafia early for being too effective in their scumhunting? I would think that in many cases, those players might be *more* deserving of an award than the first set of people. One has to ask, if that first set of people was so effective at scumhunting that they got nominated for an award, why didn't they get killed by the mafia before it was too late? Obviously, circumstances vary, but it seems that often nominations for best town player are going to people who played against scum who were bad at their job (or at least worse than the ones who killed their threats early on).

So, is there any weight to this, or are the people who live long enough to help nail all the scum just that much better? Obviously, there is no 100% generalization that can be made and there are always exceptions to the rule, but perhaps we can at least recalibrate our perception of what constitutes a great town player as a result of this discussion.
Permanent V/LA.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #19 (isolation #1) » Mon May 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Mr. Flay wrote:Just nominate players who are doing what you suggest. If they're really doing a good job, they'll get seconded.

If you think the *judges* are favoring those that live longer, well, that's a different question... I've seen several people who were nominated for just what you're talking about, but I can't think who they were right this second. I doubt Glork lives long anymore...
I'm not sure exactly what I think, hence the whole steam of consciousness thing. It just seems that the general conception of the award follows along the lines of what I outlined in the first post. I mean, it's easy enough to say "oh hey, why don't you just nominate those people?", but why wasn't this *already* happening on a regular basis? Besides which, I don't ever read mafia games that I'm not in, so I'm not really one to go around nominating people.
roflcopter wrote:this really feels like a "waaah why don't i get nominated" thread
lol
PokerFace wrote:Neh, I don't think MoS has even signed up for a game in awhile. Has he played one this year? I've just seen him modding as of late.
this.
Xylthixlm wrote:
PokerFace wrote:Neh, I don't think MoS has even signed up for a game in awhile. Has he played one this year? I've just seen him modding as of late.
This is often a sign of someone who plays under alts...
I have a total of one alt that has ever played in a game...and I wasn't the one using the account. =P
shaft.ed wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:Just nominate players who are doing what you suggest. If they're really doing a good job, they'll get seconded.
So you mean players like the shaft/elvis hydra that vig scum RB day 1, push the lynch of the scum Doctor immediately after and leave a roadmap to certain victory before getting killed by the last remaining mafia member?
Thanks for pushing the rest of this thread way off topic. =_=
Permanent V/LA.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #28 (isolation #2) » Tue May 19, 2009 8:35 pm

PokerFace wrote:Ok let's get this back on topic a little. Mos, you seen any games/players that fit the bill here?

Also which is better,
Catch one perfectly and get night killed
or
Point at a bunch of scum logically then get mafia killed
or
Vidge a bunch then get shot yourself
I know I've seen it happen in the past, but I don't know of anything recent because I haven't been around.
DrippingGoofball wrote:MoS tell me your Alt and I'll be sure to nominate it.
Why use an alt when you can use your main account?
Permanent V/LA.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”