Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:35 pm

Post by Patrick »

Incognito wrote:I'll just vote: Patrick. He has never been scum in any game I've been in, we've been in 5+ games together, so I'd say he's due.
No percentages for me?
Ether wrote:You should also help me lynch Incognito. That vote was serious.
The plot thickens.

At this point, I'd actually recommend killing camn.
Vote: camn
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #20 (isolation #1) » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:09 am

Post by Patrick »

I'm assuming vollkan wouldn't have said something like that in scumchat, and I don't see why anyone else would either. If skitzer held off confirming with some ulterior motive, I don't think he'd go round telling people about it. I guess we should hear from him though.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #45 (isolation #2) » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Post by Patrick »

My interpretation of camn's opening post was jokey, and not an actual serious attempt to get anyone to vote charter; the issue is being overblown. GC looks fine to me with his attack on camn (striking actually how much this reminds me of how he went after Mizzy in cops and robbers). Anyway,
unvote
Green Crayons, referring to omgus votes wrote:b) Hey, those aren't scummy at all!
Not inherently. This one doesn't feel like the bad kind to me.

Izzy, do you feel camn was making a case against charter?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #85 (isolation #3) » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:44 am

Post by Patrick »

OMGL wrote:It seems to me that Incog is trying to undermine a valid point made by Korts in 23 with nothing more than bad vibes.
This surprises me; last time we played together I remember you using just vibes semi-often to express suspicion of people. Do you feel vibes aren't legitimate (especially this early)? For the record, I can see where he's coming from there; Kort's interpretation didn't seem the most natural to me either and something about the immediate vote seems marginally off.
OGML wrote:I'd love for you to elucidate on this. As of post 45, the only vibe I'm getting from Patrick is that he's been unusually non-interactive.
Not sure I get this, as of post 45 I haven't posted at all because I went to bed and now I'm at work. Why did you prefer to vote me over others who've been less "interactive" then me? Reading on I see Ether agreed with this. Strange.

Early feeling is leaning town on Ether slightly town on camn; Ether just seems to be playing as she usually does as town, and camn's reactions seem very natural to me (with the qualifier that I haven't seen her as scum). Less sure on where I want to place a vote atm, might have a reread when I'm home from work. On my quick skim here, the GC/Korts debate doesn't inspire me.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #89 (isolation #4) » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:49 am

Post by Patrick »

Xdaamno wrote:This post is scummy. You seem to be thinking up points of attack, rather than noticing something that actually piques your interest. Most people wouldn't assume a "semi-often" mild behaviour in a game you played awile ago with someone actually meant anything (plus, I personally don't store meta information in this way, instead I just remember what that person was like, as if we knew each other in real life.)
Not sure why you put in "a while ago", this game was invitational 10, pretty recent. OGML was replaced quite early, but during his stay in the game alot of his suspicions were quite vague with a fair amount of vibes or gut type stuff. Sure, I guess it's possible he's had a drastic change of philosophy since then and now hates vibes, but it seems unlikely, and I don't see why you felt the need to cut across this at all. Why wouldn't it mean anything? What are you arguing?
Xdaamno wrote:Phrases like "for the record", "didn't seem the most natural to me" and "seems marginally off" also fit with this hypothesis; he's not being honest in his attacks.
This is just the way I post. It's not gonna change.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #99 (isolation #5) » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 am

Post by Patrick »

Xdaamno wrote:Yeah, wasn't asking you to change. I was just making an observation.
You weren't merely making an observation, you used that to paint me scummy, and this response feels like a sidestep.
Xdaamno wrote:Fairly town reaction, I think...
This feels planted. What's your vote based on? I still want you to explain why you didn't like my questioning of OGML.
Izzy wrote:Untrue. I just yet to have anything concrete to add. I have yet to get a sense of how people are playing in this game. So far, I've yet to really agree with any of the accusations of scumminess and I've found the particular attacks to be less that scummy. Sorry if the fact that I have yet to form firm enough opinions on the game makes me seem scummy.
This isn't entirely true, since you've expressed agreement with some of GC's attack on camn. I don't think you responded to Ether's question about this - what's your read of camn?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #108 (isolation #6) » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Post by Patrick »

Xdaamno, you said you find my phrasing suspect, I replied by telling you that it's nothing out of the ordinary. The whole, "I never asked you to change" thing is a red herring at this point that seems to ignore the more important issue of whether or not my posting is scummy or out of character. The way you've gone about this doesn't really leave me the impression of someone trying to figure me out or get reactions, because as soon as I responded you seem to try and close off the discussion straight away. I ask you again: what do you find scummy about my questioning of OGML?

The one thing I don't like about Izzy's play is that it looked like she was supporting GC's case against camn, and now she's saying she wasn't commenting on the actual case: I could see a situation where she was trying to support it, but is trying to wipe her hands clean of it now that it's not going anywhere. I'd rather see some more solid opinions from her before making up my mind though, and I'm not really seeing the inconsistency charter says he sees in her play. Also, charter, you switched votes onto Incognito on page 1 after Ether explained her reasoning, why do that if you don't see anything scummy about confirming late?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #122 (isolation #7) » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:56 am

Post by Patrick »

Vote: Xdaamno
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #128 (isolation #8) » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:56 am

Post by Patrick »

Text walls. I don't agree with every point GC makes against you: the thing about why you needed to vote rather than just using words to pressure me seems a stretch, since votes are fairly widely accepted as a means of applying pressure. I'm not sure I believe that's what you were trying to do though; your posts after that seem consistent with someone who sensed trouble and backed off, and despite asking a couple of times you've refused to explain what you found scummy about my questioning of OGML. After previewing:

Xdaamno wrote:Pre-emptive: Thinking I am 'jumping ship' is circular logic; if I am lying and I am scum then I might want to jump ship, but if I am truthful in my arguments and I am town, I would have no motivation to do so. If I was town and felt I was losing the argument, jumping ship would not be a scum tell because I would be town.
See, this is exactly what I think you might have been doing. I don't understand this defence at all, and it sounds circular itself. Why would we start by assuming your alignment then work backwards? I think your actions might indicate that you're scum who made a bad attack on me and kinda played both sides (saying town reaction but leaving a vote on in case there's some support), and I think that because it currently makes more sense to me than the version you've given. Please clarify this defence.
Xdaamno wrote:As I said above, I'll now try and explain why I thought this post was town. The "this is just the way I post" defense is something I think I see quite a lot. It completely misses the point, but I can just put myself in the shoes of a town player being confused at why they are being attacked. I feel a scum player would not react in this way, because defensiveness would typically be a more dominant emotion than confusion is such a situation, IMO.
Can you explain how I missed the point? You say my phrases might indicate a scum alignment, I tell you it indicates nothing, what did I miss? I know that aren't trying to get me to change the way I post. Also, what's your take on GC?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #129 (isolation #9) » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:07 am

Post by Patrick »

Green Crayons wrote:While I think both are leaning town, I think Dizzy is more firmly in the town camp than Ether at this point. So stick that in your pipe.
I'd be interested to know what makes you lean town on Izzy. I got a kind of vague town vibe from her last post, but her play in general is hardly inspiring. Do share.
Ether wrote:(For the record, Patrick's starting to feel better now, though I don't get why he interpretted my 76 as support.
I thought you were mildly supporting his reasons for voting me, have I somehow misread that?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #150 (isolation #10) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:00 am

Post by Patrick »

At this point I'm fairly sure Xdaamno is just making up reasons to still have his vote on me, even if he's town. I have to admit his last few posts make me waver a little on him, but he's still my best lead atm. Regardless of what he does with his vote, I'd like to hear his thoughts on the alignments of some other people.

OGML - I can see what you're saying about charter, but it doesn't seem good enough for a vote to me. Why do you think Xdaamno is town?
Ether wrote:That is what I was doing. Heh--looking back at your 85 I think I misread your interpretation. I'm not sure what you were getting at with "strange," looking closer. I agreed with OGML and didn't vote you for it.
Yes, your agreement raised an eyebrow. It just seemed pretty early to be saying that.

=======================
Page 7 Votecount

camn (1/7): Korts,
charter (1/7): OhGodMyLife
DizzyIzzyB13 (3/7): Ether, Incognito, charter
Ether (0/7):
Green Crayons (0/7):
Incognito (0/7):
Korts (0/7):
OhGodMyLife (0/7):
Patrick (1/7): Xdaamno
skitzer (0/7):
Xdaamno (3/7): Yosarian2, Green Crayons, Patrick
Yosarian2 (0/7):

Not voting (3/12):

skitzer, DizzyIzzyB13, camn

With 12 alive, it's 7 to lynch.

Countdown To Deadline
============================
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #152 (isolation #11) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:27 am

Post by Patrick »

Xdaamno wrote:Perhaps the vote is obsolete. I haven't done the mental legwork to decide if I think it is or not. Therefore, the 'expected value' of pressure from this vote is still above 0 (and would be even if we all believed otherwise, because we could all potentially be wrong.) If there is no negative to keeping my vote here, I'm drawing a net positive and so it's not worth removing.
Xdaamno wrote:You're blatantly ignoring what I have said. I showed why the vote could have some kind of purpose, and said I wanted you to either show me the benifet of removing it, or show why it cannot possibly have any value. You have failed to do either. Yes, the vote is probably useless. However, that small chance of being useful (by some strange mechanic) in and of itself makes the vote useful.
Both the above gave me that impression - it should be clear that a vote on someone where you've said that you don't really suspect them and that you're leaving it there for pressure doesn't cause any pressure at all, hence my comment of you making up reasons. In this case I could see it as just a pride thing where you're town.

What don't you think I understand? You said this before about my town looking defence as well, then didn't come back when I asked.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #174 (isolation #12) » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 pm

Post by Patrick »

So I now have a small bandwagon made up of two unexplained votes and some crap from Xdaamno about not liking my metagaming of OGML? Explain these votes please.
Ether wrote:Patrick, what was weird about my agreement?
I said this already, it was very early in the game. Like, 35 hours in, and I'm pretty sure I've played games with you where I've started more slowly than that. What was unusual to you about this time?
skitzer wrote:Patrick in Post 122: Could you give us a little reasoning? I don't have an opinion on the Xdaamno case, so even quoting something of his that pertains to your vote would help me understand.
I have talked about this, even though I didn't provide any reasoning in that post. I think the reasons he gave for voting me where shoddy, which isn't necessarily scummy, but he's avoided any response to that despite being asked multiple times - why do that if he thinks the reasoning's good? He didn't try to get reactions from me after that, in fact he basically acted as though I was invisible. Now, the fact that he's kept his vote on me didn't and doesn't make alot of sense to me; I see my vote as an indicator of my thoughts and it seems counter-intuitive to leave it on someone in the way he did, but after looking at all his responses, I think he believes what he's saying. So
unvote
. I still want him to talk about some other players, or back up his vote on me with something that makes sense.

You said you're not sure about any of the three bandwagons, is there anyone you are suspicious of?

Did have some other stuff I wanted to comment on, but that'll have to wait till tomorrow.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #209 (isolation #13) » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:44 am

Post by Patrick »

Wow. I too want Yosarian to respond to Incognito's quote from Mafia Discussion, but I'm having real trouble seeing why he'd fakeclaim like that as scum. I think he'd be clever enough to realise as scum that he'd pull considerable suspicion despite his defence of "why would I do this as scum?". About the only benefit I could see would be to try and explain away a potential guilty on him later by getting the claim out early, but that seems like a tiny benefit compared to the suspicion he's picked up. The speed of the attacks/suspicion doesn't sit well with me. I'm most surprised by Ether and Incognito actually, who tend to follow my lines of thought most of the time. I agree that Yosarian didn't do much before the claim, but why do you guys think this is more likely to come from scum than a real miller?

OGML's conclusion in 189/190 seems pretty counter-intuitive if he's suggesting what I think he is. I also don't like Kort's catchup so far.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #213 (isolation #14) » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:10 am

Post by Patrick »

I have a thought on the MD post, but want him to explain himself.
OGML wrote:What exactly doesn't sit well with you about Incognito's stated suspicions. His seem the most well founded out of anything, since he brought in a quote from MD which would seem to indicate that this is, in fact, NOT how Yosarian would play town miller. The only thing that doesn't sit well about Incog for me is the fact that he still hasn't voted Yos.
It's more surprise than suspicion of him actually. Why are you bothered by the fact he hasn't voted?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #251 (isolation #15) » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:59 am

Post by Patrick »

Hm. That makes me feel better about your alignment.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #260 (isolation #16) » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:40 am

Post by Patrick »

Incognito wrote:Partially because of 186 and partially because this is Yosarian2 we're talking about. If this was some brand spanking new MS player, I might be thinking exactly along the same lines as you. If Yosarian2 was town I think he'd know better than this, and the fact that he commented on everyone else's reaction post except mine which points out an obvious inconsistency between what he said here and what he mentioned in a completely unbiased forum of discussion in MD makes me think he might be scum who realized he botched up his claim.
He'd know better than what? I haven't thought a great deal about miller strategy up to now, and if pushed I think I'd probably not claim as a miller and hope to be nightkilled or not investigated by a cop, but it's a fairly debated subject. I spose I'm just not really seeing why this would be such awful horrible play coming from town. On the other hand, I keep coming back to why he'd be doing this as scum: that seems more like horrible play to me. If he did this as scum in the hope that he'd actually come out looking better or at least not worse from it, he'd have to be showing pretty appalling judgement, I think. Anyone can make a bad play, but it doesn't seem likely to me.

I think the point about the MD post is fair, but his responses make sense. Now I really want some elaboration from Ether as to why she hates the claim, because that vote seems sketchy to me. Charter's vote doesn't give me good vibes either. "a game I was in just ended like five hours ago where a "miller" claimed day one, not in his first post. Was scum." seems pretty thin reasoning, and he's been kind of opportunistic all game.
skitzer wrote:Patrick in Post 174: So it sounds like Xdaamno started that bandwagon on you, and then you voted him and now unvoted him. It looks like OMGUS followed by quick removal; however, I do not feel that is what you meant.
A vote on someone who is voting you isn't automatically OMGUS, and this acronym by itself doesn't really say anything. Please read the cases against Xdaamno and comment in a slightly less vague way.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #281 (isolation #17) » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:42 am

Post by Patrick »

Incognito wrote:What is it about DizzyIzzy's 250 that you found to like?
It's more of a gut thing, or I'd probably have said something more at the time. I like that her thoughts on charter seem to be running similar to mine, and I agree with her read of Yosarian's responses. I certainly didn't agree with everything she said in the post. The whole top three thing hasn't particularly interested me either: I think it's largely taste whether someone likes to give lists or not, and I don't think Ether asking for one says anything about her alignment. A much better reason to suspect Ether is the post she made voting Yosarian, and I'm surprised that you don't seem bothered by that at all. As for your issues with her post, I don't find them especially compelling, though I'd rather let her defend herself from those first.
Incognito wrote:I do agree that claiming Miller as scum in the manner he did would probably be worse play for him as scum than as town, but I do hold by the belief that if he's telling the truth, his choice and the manner in which he claimed is terrible.
I still don't get why the choice and the manner in which he claimed is terrible. Is there some special reason why a miller claim should come right at the start of day 1 instead of half way through it? Or something else that's terrible? If he wanted to get reactions with his claim, I'd say it worked.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #286 (isolation #18) » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:33 am

Post by Patrick »

You saw that post as
townish
? I don't see how making those observations would be less likely to come from scum, especially if Yos2 is town, which I think he is. That whole post seems like a pretty easy one for a scum to make, actually.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #293 (isolation #19) » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:12 am

Post by Patrick »

charter, any opinion on the last 3 pages or so? I can see you've been around.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #306 (isolation #20) » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:43 am

Post by Patrick »

What's the point of just repeating that Yos claimed scum? He quite clearly hasn't. Do you have some reason for not believing the miller claim other than some recent game where a miller was scum? It feels like you're being deliberately obtuse here.

I'm getting fed up of all this vagueness from certain people. I don't recall anything very substantial from Korts, and the only thing I know about Xdaamno's opinions is that he thinks GC is town. This is like half way through our day, and he still seems more interested in peppering the thread with ambiguous little observations and arguing with GC about stuff probably half the players aren't even reading. Skitzer's posts have been entirely unmemorable to me, and I don't get what's holding Ether up either. This game hasn't been dull or short of things to comment on, so I don't see any excuse. Xdaamno: why do you seem to ignore questions to you about who you suspect? Are you reading the game?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #340 (isolation #21) » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:15 am

Post by Patrick »

OGML wrote:What exactly did you think I was suggesting. I already ventured a guess as to what it was, but got no response one way or the other to that.
I wondered if you were suggesting that Yos2 and I are scum together and that he claimed miller to take heat off me. I still think it's counter-intuitive even if you weren't suggesting the latter part, but there we are.

Much of the post is for Yos2 to respond to, but my general feeling is that you've basically decided on your conclusion and you're then trying to make everything you can fit into that (ironic that you accused GC of confirmation bias). I'm fairly sure if I suspected Yos2, you'd be shouting, "wow! I called the scum and now he's distancing from his partner!!!!111!". I'm leaning slightly towards you being a tunnel visioned townie rather than scum purposefully using craplogic, but I'd suggest if you are town you stop working backwards from your conclusions. Also, although I might have missed it, I don't think you actually explained anywhere in that huge post why you don't believe his miller claim. What was so bad about claiming a week into the day rather than right at the start? All I've seen from you on this is something about disrupting ongoing discussion, which I don't particularly think it has, and which seems like a pretty minor point anyway.

I might have more to add later on some other things.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #352 (isolation #22) » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:55 am

Post by Patrick »

About this:
Izzy wrote:A look at Ether's posting history and her absense from scum chat, plus the fact that her last post in this thread was this:
Ether wrote:I've slipped behind, and I've only skimmed the last few pages. I'm a bit preoccupied right now--don't expect a proper post until Friday evening at the earliest.
... would incdicate that Yos's meta-analysis is flawed anyway. Ether appears to be MIA at the moment.
Yos's meta is correct in that Ether hates being scum and tends to lurk more when she has a scum role. I haven't spoken to her much recently but I know she's been online, so I have to wonder what her preoccupation is, or even if there is one at all. Her early play looks protown to me but I wouldn't rule out that she's scum who's frozen up after making a mistake.
Xdaamno wrote:I'll try and contribute more, but that in no way invalidates what I'm saying.
Except that what you are saying is pretty ambiguous. Like your comments on camn for example, it's pretty unclear to me whether you're calling out something scummy, something a tiny bit scummy, or just chiding her for perceived bad play, or something else. And on the miller claim, which is probably the biggest event in the game, I feel like you're in a position to go either way. I'm not saying every post someone makes has to have some bottom line conclusion, but it seems like they're having to be forced out of you. I've only looked at one forum game of yours so far, and it did seem different as you've claimed; I didn't have much trouble discerning your suspicions there.
camn wrote:Because insisting on a fact something with no reason at all, and no evidence at all, is generally looked at as illogical....and they have enough respect for you that they equate illogical with scummy?

I personally have no insight at all into the setup of this game. I am thinking LESS THAN 6 scum.... but that's about the extent of it.

Although, on the other hand.. maybe you have role-based knowledge of the setup, and them wanting your reasons is actually them rolefishing?
So now you've laid out two different options, which do you agree with?
OGML wrote:Before I get into anything else, does anyone here other than Yosarian or Patrick want to venture a guess as to why the two of them continuing to hammer at wanting a reason for me not believing a miller IN THIS SETUP is terribly scummy?
I don't recall asking about the setup, more just why you don't believe his claim and why you think the timing of his claim doesn't make sense for a protown player. I don't like this post.

I'm going to
Vote: Korts
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #354 (isolation #23) » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:09 am

Post by Patrick »

I'm trying to get you to say something.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #378 (isolation #24) » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Post by Patrick »

Mod
: I'm also voting Korts.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #379 (isolation #25) » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Post by Patrick »

OGML wrote:Why am I not surprised that when I specifically ask for the opinions of people not named Yosarian2 and Patrick they're among the first three to respond?
Don't give me this bull. You said something that wasn't true, of course I'm going to point it out.
Korts wrote:Actually, I won't read everything if I don't need to. What was the context or apropos to Yos' miller claim, and what were the relevant reactions? Has there been anything else notable?
Yos claimed miller out of nowhere. It's surely your responsibility to decide for yourself what was notable about the reactions. How many pages behind are you? Your first post back implies only a couple of pages, but then on this page you're acting like you don't have a chance of catching up unless people link you to highlights.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #384 (isolation #26) » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Post by Patrick »

I don't see a big deal about Izzy not voting yet, actually. I'm often conservative with my vote too.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #418 (isolation #27) » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:52 pm

Post by Patrick »

skitzer wrote:Am I incorrect in deducting that the case on Korts is mostly in his playstyle? It's lurky, but aren't we in agreement that lurky doesn't necessarily mean scummy?
Actually I do think scum are more likely to lurk than town, and that alot of people don't appreciate that. I've found it to be especially true in games with fairly strict deadlines. A small part of me wonders if you typed that last sentence to see if you could excuse away your own lurking. Have you got any opinions yet on those cases you said you'd read up on? Why are you so passive?
Korts wrote:Instead of giving me all this flak for not catching up, you could have given me a few pointers. If the fact that I started with a page of backlog and ended up with nine while constantly reading up is not enough proof that I'm not capable at this point of reading everything, then I don't know what is.
I'd hardly call it proof, since you could easily be lying. Without wishing to sound harsh, nine pages doesn't seem like that much to read up on.
Korts wrote:A question: why is Incog considered so pro-town? Is it a build-up of a constant series of helpful scumhunting posts?
There's been some places where his reads have seemed weird to me, which is notable because we tend to think along similar lines, but my feeling is that he's playing more like his town meta rather than the more low key scum version I saw in SPQR. The way he unvoted Izzy when she seemed to be picking up more flak seemed town to me as well, though I realise that depends on your view of how valid the case against Izzy is. I'm leaning town on him. I would, however, like Incognito to try and articulate his charter town vibes if he still has them, because I'm getting the opposite feeling, especially after his last.

Maybe more tomorrow - on first glance the debates between GC/Yos2/OGML didn't seem that interesting though.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #505 (isolation #28) » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Post by Patrick »

I've fallen behind with all these new posts. Should be able to catch up tomorrow.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #517 (isolation #29) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:00 am

Post by Patrick »

Xdaamno sounds genuine in his last few posts. I think as scum he'd have been more likely to try and latch onto one of the alternative wagons/suspects rather than defending them, unless he's alot more devious than I've given him credit for. I suppose he could be scum with Korts, but their sparring doesn't look fake either. I think Korts, or failing that charter, would make much better lynches today. I don't like either of Korts's votes much since returning, but especially the Izzy one. Her reasons for voting him seem fine to me and some other people have certainly given him flak for similar reasons; I'm thinking he voted her because she looked like a relatively easy target (and I don't agree with his case on her, I'm reading her as mildly town). I should add that I don't think the couple/nine argument tells us anything: whilst I don't think a couple means anything close to nine, I think Korts meant it in that way in his post 362, because two minutes later he mentions that he hasn't even read Yosarian's claim yet. I think his use of "couple" was just bad wording rather than a lie which he contradicted two minutes later.

Charter is on my scumdar mainly because I don't like his pushes on either Yosarian or Izzy. It seems like he just jumped on the Yos wagon when it was becoming popular and then came off when people starting analysing it more thoroughly and asking for reasons; and the only one I can see in his posts is some vague reference to a single past game. Some of his attacks on Izzy look like he's trying to make cautious play on her part look alot scummier than it really is, especially the last one:
charter wrote:
Izzy wrote:Yes, you can. If, that is, you're not just looking to latch onto the first thing that vaguely doesn't sit right and call scum. Scum aren't the only people who act scummy. The art is sifting between occasional lapses by townies and discerning patterns of scumminess. I don't see patterns emerging yet, just confusion emerging from narrow focus and general theory discussion that does not necessarily add to the data from which opinions can be formed.
Ok... So your plan is to just sit and do nothing until you see a connection? What day do you think this is going to happen on? Why should we let you coast through until this point?
I think it's clear that Izzy had talked about her suspicions at that point (she'd recently voted Korts, for example), so "your plan is to just sit and do nothing until you see a connection" seems overblown.

I'd support a Korts or charter lynch as things stand. Much as I hate how he's played, I don't think a Xdaamno lynch is likely to hit scum. I feel better about GC, Incognito and to a lesser extent OGML with their recent posts.

Xdaamno, why is Korts town in your eyes?
Mod
: Some of these recent votecounts are pretty innacurate, for example charter and Ether.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #519 (isolation #30) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:06 am

Post by Patrick »

GC wrote:An incredibly recent game comes to mind about a scumbag showing really awesome frustration that looked really town and convinced the town to not lynch the guy because, in part, he was town-looking with that frustration. Being frustrated isn't a town tell by any stretch of the imagination.
If this refers to what I think it does, I don't think there was a self vote involved. We probably shouldn't talk about it too much though.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #550 (isolation #31) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:38 am

Post by Patrick »

charter wrote:Where did anyone attack my reasons for voting Yos? I'd still lynch him in a heartbeat if he gets to six votes.
I attacked your reasons for voting Yos, GC indicated agreement with not liking your vote.

Your sudden suspicion of Incognito seems very contrived; even a cursory look at the links he gave would show that he's given people town cred for self-voting in the past. I could understand disagreement, but the fos seems very forced.

Unvote, Vote: charter
. Lets do this.

=======================
Page 23 Votecount

camn (0/7):
charter (2/7): OhGodMyLife, Patrick
DizzyIzzyB13 (1/7): charter
Ether (0/7):
Green Crayons (0/7):
Incognito (0/7):
Korts (3/7): Incognito, DizzyIzzyB13, Ether
OhGodMyLife (0/7):
Patrick (1/7): Xdaamno
skitzer (0/7):
Xdaamno (4/7): Green Crayons, Korts, camn, Yosarian2
Yosarian2 (0/7):

Not voting (3/12):

skitzer,

Countdown To Deadline
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #556 (isolation #32) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:50 am

Post by Patrick »

charter wrote:Why on earth would I pick now to all of a sudden be suspicious of someone unless I actually thought they did something suspicious? Why would I pick Incog who's so "obvtown" to all you sheep?
I don't know. If you're scum and he's town, maybe you're just trying to chip away at his credibility so you can keep the net for suspicion wider for later. Maybe you thought you could get a little pressure on him. Maybe you just wanted to add more content to your post and didn't realise you'd get flak for that attack. I'm sure there's other possibilities. I'm more concerned about why your attack doesn't make much sense from a protown perspective, and your recent exchange with Incognito hasn't changed my mind.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #611 (isolation #33) » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:29 am

Post by Patrick »

Tricky, but I think I'm inclined to stay put. I could easily see it as a way for scum to just try and buy a little more time alive, and even confirming the ability wouldn't completely confirm him (though I think scum recruiters and cults and the like are pretty rare). That said, two questions before I completely decide:

If you masonise someone, do they get "mason" tagged onto their role?
Would you be able to start talking to someone the night you target them?
camn wrote:I mean really... what kind of nutso setup are we looking at if both those claims are true?

Is it likely?
Is it possible?
Does it make sense?
Are these even "pro-town" roles, in that they help us?
Maybe we should lynch them all?
I don't see how the two claims clash. Why would it be a nutso setup if both are true? This is a curious sort of dilemna you're making here.

On a different note:
Xdaamno, on Incognito wrote:Your relaxed attitude lately makes me think that if you are scum, there's probably no town players under suspiscion right now.
Do you mean no scum players under suspicion right now? Otherwise this doesn't make much sense.

I'm not really seeing how one players jokey attitude read scummy whilst anothers read protown. If it's a gut thing then I can respect it I guess, but I'm not seeing it.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #619 (isolation #34) » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:18 am

Post by Patrick »

Off the top of my head I can remember playing in one mini with a cult, and one with a mafia recruiter. I don't think either of those are likely due to rarity. Anyway, I want charter to answer the two questions put to him. If he's not lynched today, I don't want to leave certain parts of his claim vague.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #625 (isolation #35) » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:10 am

Post by Patrick »

Interesting.
Unvote
for now. If you're telling the truth, I'd suggest PMing any questions to vollkan, I doubt he'll answer them in thread.

If you recruit someone, will they know about it today or only when night hits?

=======================
Page 26 Votecount

camn (0/7):
charter (4/7): OhGodMyLife, Korts, Ether, Green Crayons
DizzyIzzyB13 (2/7): charter, Xdaamno
Ether (0/7):
Green Crayons (0/7):
Incognito (0/7):
Korts (2/7): DizzyIzzyB13, Incognito
OhGodMyLife (0/7):
Patrick (0/7):
skitzer (0/7):
Xdaamno (0/7):
Yosarian2 (0/7):

Not voting (4/12):

skitzer, Yosarian2, camn, Patrick

Countdown To Deadline
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #638 (isolation #36) » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:03 am

Post by Patrick »

Back to this then.
Vote: Korts
. We can test charter's claim today before even lynching anyone, though it needs to be done quickly because we've only got a couple of days left.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #671 (isolation #37) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Patrick »

Unvote
. Barring a counterclaim, I don't feel comfortable lynching him. I have almost no time right now, but will look over and place a vote before deadline. Nothing particularly appealing is jumping out right now.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #685 (isolation #38) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:56 am

Post by Patrick »

Bad feeling about this. I don't particularly think either are scum, but between Izzy and Xdaamno I have a slightly preference for lynching Xdaamno. Since there's a chance this is my last post before deadline,
. I don't consider Korts cleared (or confirmable, has has been suggested), but I'm not prepared to take a risk on him today. I'm also tending to think charter is telling the truth about his ability, otherwise I can't see why he'd have said the person he recruits finds out today and gets "mason" appear in their name on death. I want skitzer to commit to something before deadline hits. I still feel like I have almost no read on him after 3 weeks of play.

In response to this:
Korts wrote:As of my scumlist: I still think charter is scum based on that claim, and he has been fairly scummy for a while; Xdaamno is scummy, but I'm not convinced of his guilt now; and the people who are pushing my wagon based on the fact that I decided to interact rather than lag behind--Izzy, Patrick I assume (although I don't see any explicit reason for his vote), and Ether I assume (her apparent case on me never got produced).
I did give an explicit reason for my vote, and it wasn't your "interacting rather than lag behind". Actually, even having recently come off you, I want you to explain why you're not reading the posts of someone you apparently suspect.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #711 (isolation #39) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:07 am

Post by Patrick »

I'd still like Korts to answer my question to him at the end of yesterday. My first impression coming into today is that Korts and skitzer are the most suspicious, but I'm going to need to reread certain parts of the game.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #714 (isolation #40) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:43 am

Post by Patrick »

I don't think it was that hard to tell why I'd returned to you, and it was only about 3 days after I'd explained it.

What's your opinion of skitzer?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #724 (isolation #41) » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:05 am

Post by Patrick »

Nah, Incognito is definitely town.

I should be able to do some reread by tomorrow at the latest, but that much I'm pretty sure of.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #738 (isolation #42) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:17 am

Post by Patrick »

GC wrote:1. Ether acts like Ether-Scum.
2. Ether gets called out on it.
3. Ether goes "Oh, yeah. I guess. I'll fix that, though, don't worry."
4. Ether continues to act like Ether-Scum.
I don't know. I certainly don't think she was acting like Caffscum in the first part of day 1; she seemed pro-active and the tone of her posts was different to the when I've played with her and she was scum. The Yosvote still makes me twitch, though her return post sounded genuine. Since then she has seemed very disinterested in the game, which is bothersome because it's not exactly boring, and that does remind me of her disinterest in hunting scum in newbie 530. Looking back, the mention of a cult around the charter-vote seems weird as well because of how incredibly rare they are, especially in a mini normal game. I think she's a decent scum candidate and I want to see some more substance from her today. I don't want it to slide, especially given that a couple of people seem to have ignored the case made by Incognito entirely.

I'm not so sure about an Ether/Yos2 connection; if Ether is scum, her vote on Yos2 seems like it could be pretty equally opportunism or a nervous attempt to bus him. Having said that, I'm not wild about Yosarian's first post today which ignores the meta-style case made against Ether (when he's previously said that Incognito is a good authority on Ether), ignores Incognito's attack on his charter vote yesterday, and places a vote on Xdaamno for jumping on an easy wagon. There's nothing illogical about what he said, but I just feel like he's capable of better at this point. Yos2, what's your view on the case against Ether?

I've done some quick meta on skitzer and am slightly less suspicous of him, since what I've seen does seem consistent with what Korts just said. However, I'm still uncomfortable about how under the radar he's been all game and how little attention he's been getting for it, whilst Izzy got a ton of flak for "noncontribution". There's nothing outrageous in his posts, but his approach seems like it would be beneficial for scum. His "Am I incorrect in deducting that the case on Korts is mostly in his playstyle? It's lurky, but aren't we in agreement that lurky doesn't necessarily mean scummy?" still nags at me too.

I think charter is confirmed beyond reasonable doubt by his proven ability, and I feel pretty certain Incognito is town. GC has also given me a fairly strong protown vibe all game. At this point, I'm guessing all our scum can be found in the other 5. My gut is that Xdaamno is town as well but I'm not as comfortable with that as I am with the above players. Yos2's claim looks worse than it did yesterday; maybe he is a red herring miller, but they must be pretty rare. I don't think I've ever even seen one. Ether and skitzer aren't doing much scumhunting, and my opinion of Korts hasn't improved from yesterday. No vote yet - too many people bothering me.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #759 (isolation #43) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 am

Post by Patrick »

Yosarian2 wrote:As for Xdaamno; I'm not sure what you mean by "he's capable of better at this point"; I'm pretty sure Xdaamno is scum here, and there's nothing "better" then that. He was attacked yesterday for not voting, and it looks like he was told by his scumbuddies last night "Hey, make sure you vote someone today", and so he did. His vote for me today seems complety inconsitant with his attitude towards me yesterday, and it just really feels like a scum move.
It seemed like a pretty thin contribution, but fair enough I guess if you were just dropping in. I'd only checked the time stamp to see if it was a quick before work post. I don't feel his attitude towards you is inconsistent, because we're dealing with significant new information today that makes your claim look worse. By that token, it seems like you could be calling alot of us inconsistent today, although I do get your argument about how it was an easy vote.
Yosarian2 wrote:Out of 9 town
See, I don't think this is a safe assumption. Vollkan's first post kind of implies just a town v mafia game, and in his last mini normal, I actually used that to help me figure out the setup. What worries is me is that postgame one or two people made comments about how players shouldn't be able to figure out the setup based on what the mod writes, so I could see him taking that on board. I also think SK is more likely than vig; it seems like we'd have a huge amount of power with a tracker, gunsmith, vig and masoniser, even if Korts is scum.
Yosarian2 wrote:Well, your claim would be convenient for scum in that it's not actually confirmable, it's not likely to be counterclaimed if you're lying because bodyguards aren't very common, and it's not a role claim the town was likely to lynch on day 1.
This seems like the opposite of what you said on day 1 about scum claiming bodyguard. Am I missing something?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #760 (isolation #44) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:42 am

Post by Patrick »

skitzer wrote:This is tricky. The miller is just WIFOMy if there isn't a cop, so it's not really anything towards balance. If anything, a copless miller detriments the town.
To clarify, do you feel his claim is more or less suspicious than yesterday, or about the same?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #768 (isolation #45) » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Post by Patrick »

skitzer wrote:I guess more suspcious: any vig (or SK trying to look like a vig) would have killed him.
Not sure what the second part has to do with first. You're saying he looks more suspicious because he wasn't nightkilled or something?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #774 (isolation #46) » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:30 am

Post by Patrick »

Vote: Ether
. Don't think she'd be doing this as town.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #792 (isolation #47) » Sat May 02, 2009 7:07 am

Post by Patrick »

Xdaamno wrote:Lots of linguistic cliches in her last few posts, such as this one. I think that's a very strong scum tell because townies are never complacent. So, yes, an Ether wagon looks very good to me.
Much as I think Ether is probably scum, this seems very manufactured to me. Do you really feel townies are never complacent? The thing that bothers me is that I don't think I've ever seen Ether react so apathetically to this much pressure as town. I've seen her do it as scum though.

skitzer, who's your best guess for scum? It's not terribly clear to me.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #815 (isolation #48) » Tue May 05, 2009 1:30 pm

Post by Patrick »

This appears to have slown right down. My suspicions haven't changed substantially, except that if Ether is scum Xdaamno goes up a bit; I don't like how he tried to deter the Ether wagon then suddenly found some huge "scum tell" in her posts when nearly everybody expressed suspicion of her. "Townies are never complacent" still doesn't make sense, I know Xdaamno has played with Glork at least once =)

skitzer, you didn't answer my question. Who do you think is scum?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #834 (isolation #49) » Sun May 10, 2009 7:45 am

Post by Patrick »

I'm vanilla. This is starting to look extremely sour. I agree that we likely have 3 scum alive, which means at least one of my town reads here was wrong. 2-2-8 strikes me as more likely than 3-1-8 because of the specific name "red mafia" and because a three person scumgroup with a roleblocker seems pretty unfair to put up against an SK unless the SK has very strong abilities of it's own. I have no problem with Incognito claiming after GC. If I had to pick out two town right now, it'd be charter and Incognito, but I need to look back over this again.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #850 (isolation #50) » Mon May 11, 2009 6:29 am

Post by Patrick »

If Incognito is legit, this setup is completely whack. I don't think I've ever seen a mini contain 3 investigative roles, especially decent ones like what we've seen dead already, and on top of that we'd have a masoniser (and bodyguard??).

I think Incognito is a watcher, but I'm not sold on the alignment. If he's scum, Korts is likely his partner; otherwise I can't see why Incognito would claim and give evidence that "clears" Korts (and I don't see Incognito being paired with Ether). If Korts is scum and Incognito is town, then Korts must have some kind of secondary ability which he targetted charter with. Mafia Doctor is possible: in that case Korts might protect charter not for fear of a watcher, but for fear of charter being nightkilled (since that would probably send Korts to the gallows the next day). Korts being a mafia watcher is just about the only other thing that comes to mind as a possibility here; I could see why a watcher would choose to keep an eye on charter though I'm not sure it would be best play.

I can't see both Korts and Incognito being town, because that would leave only (from my perspective) Xdaamno and GC as scum. Likely that would make Xdaamno red mafia and GC a serial killer, but I don't buy that at all from a setup perspective; town would be insanely overpowered and vollkan isn't a noob mod. I'm going to have to take a look back at some interactions, but if I had to guess now I'd say Xdaamno is red mafia and Korts is scum with either GC or Incognito. I'd like to hear GC's thoughts on why we may not have two mafia groups.

=======================
Page 35 Votecount

charter (0/4):
Green Crayons(0/4):
Incognito (0/4):
Korts (0/4):
Patrick (0/4):
Xdaamno (0/4):

Not voting (6/6):

charter, Green Crayons, Incognito, Korts, Patrick, Xdaamno

With 6 alive, it's 4 to lynch.
=======================

Countdown To Deadline
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #852 (isolation #51) » Mon May 11, 2009 7:17 am

Post by Patrick »

Your claim pulls my brain in two different directions. On the one hand yes, you have struck me as town most of the game; you've done a several things that don't strike me as likely for you to do as scum. On the other hand, your claim doesn't fit into the setup for me, as I said in my last post - I've never seen 3 investigators in a mini. I've also been wondering why you'd make this claim as scum, and it really doesn't make sense for you to risk it unless you're scum with Korts and you want to give yourselves a convenient reason to defend each other whilst trying to go for one more lynch outside of your group. Atm I can see more of a chance of Kortsscum/Incogtown than the other way round.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #856 (isolation #52) » Mon May 11, 2009 7:51 am

Post by Patrick »

I need to reread how certain players have interacted; I do indeed remember you pushing Korts on day 1, and I need to reread to see how likely it would be between two partners. I've clearly been played by at least one person so I'm not about to rule it out without having a closer look; most of the possibilities have some weirdness to them anyway.
Incognito wrote:Also, it really wouldn't have been that difficult for a hypo-me-scum to claim Vanilla and help a Korts-hyposcum buddy push an Xdaamno lynch when GC and charter have both made it clear already that they think Xdaamno is scum.
Yes it would. Seriously, you think that nobody would have suggested the possibility of two mafias existing if you hadn't? I know the first thing that came into my head when Ether flipped red mafia was that it greatly increases the chance of two mafias, and I'd be surprised if I was the only one. Xdaamno's interactions with Ether obviously mark him out as a good candidate to be a scumbuddy of hers, so yes, I would have found it extremely suspect if you and Korts had started heavily pushing a Xdaamno lynch without making a very concrete case as to why he should be our best play today.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #862 (isolation #53) » Mon May 11, 2009 9:58 am

Post by Patrick »

Incognito wrote:@Patrick: as of right now, you're the only other person (aside from Korts who only commented on it when I brought all of my speculation to the forefront) who also proposed that we may be dealing with a two mafia team set-up. charter made it seem like it just dawned on him when I brought it up, Xdaamno seems completely oblivious to everything as usual, and GC seems to be suggesting otherwise.
I don't see this as especially relevant; it only takes one person to bring up the possibility, and I think you could have guessed that I would have even if nobody else did. I think the hypothetical you put forward would be alot more risky than you've acknowledged.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #872 (isolation #54) » Tue May 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Post by Patrick »

Incognito wrote: If I was scum and Korts was my buddy, I probably would have just claimed Vanilla thinking that the town would continue believing his Bodyguard claim.
I'm not sure Korts was as well thought of as you're suggesting here, but yeah, this is obviously plausible.
Incognito wrote:Wasn't it you who came up with the idea that camn had to be town in BSG because it would be stupid for her as scum to claim a role that already appeared in the game (Jailkeeper)? Why does that same frame of thought not fit here with me and my role for you?
I don't remember; I know I was a little suspicious of the claim because she hadn't counterclaimed when a scum claimed her role. I don't remember putting forward that she had to be town, but it's possible; I can't be bothered to trawl through a load of chat logs now. Why are the situations different? The obvious one would be that Kison was about 99% certain scum in that game and there was only one remaining. As I've also said twice now, I have trouble with the idea of there being 3 investigative roles in this game, especially when we have other powers claimed as well. What do you find so shocking about that? I'm sure you remember that in vollkan's first game we caught our first scum largely because none of us believed that a mini would contain 3 investigative roles. The circumstances of your claim and his claim in that game are obviously different, but that's what bothers me, as I think you know.

I don't understand why you've brought up Yosarian's claim as though the situations are comparable. Yos claimed to be a miller, not a third investigative role. I don't see what was that weird about his claim, well, until the death of two investigators on night 1, when the miller claim suddenly started looking less likely to exist in the setup.

GC/Incognito debate hasn't really changed my view about the setup; I don't see why 8-2-2 is ridiculously stacked against the town whilst 8-3-1 is perfectly acceptable. I accept that games exist where there's only a single mafia and they get given a special name, but I haven't seen many, whereas games with two mafias almost always give the mafias their own names. That reasoning doesn't seem illogical to me at all. I'm thinking one or two other things, but for now I'd like to hear GC's reasoning as to why Korts is a cleared doc role.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #883 (isolation #55) » Wed May 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Post by Patrick »

GC wrote:I have no reason to think that we don't have at least a single doctor-esque role out there.
Not every game contains a protective role. The only previous vollkan game I've played in didn't, so it doesn't seem like a safe assumption.
GC wrote:Outside of his actual claim and apart from my D1 squabble with him, he never really registered on my scumdar again - yet another reason why I am inclined to believe him. I actually don't understand you persistent suspicions of Korts, so I'm all ears as to why he's still not confirmed for you.
I can see scum choosing to claim bodyguard on day 1, it's less likely to draw a counterclaim and if he fears another scum faction, it's also less likely to draw a nightkill. But mainly it's because I think we likely have 2-1-3 and if he's town I'm struggling to think of a two person team I believe in.

I think the obviousness of Ether's scumhood yesterday is being exagerated. Yes it was pretty obvious late in the day when she more or less gave up, but at the very start of day 1, I don't remember much suspicion on her at all, and the Yos wagon would have been an easy one to join. I really, really don't think Incognito's move on Ether was a busing effort and I'm amazed that the notion seems popular. His recent posts look pretty town to me as well.

Xdaamno needs to post something with actual substance. He's hanging back, and it doesn't take a genius to work out why.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #893 (isolation #56) » Fri May 15, 2009 5:47 am

Post by Patrick »

Xdaamno wrote:This is annoying, and made me consider replacing out. Mafia sucks here because of the meta that you have to have no life to play it.
No, that's bullshit. You're not being asked anything unreasonable, you've largely avoided posting substance all game. The most you post is when you come under heavy attack, and even then you seem to defend yourself more than you look for scum.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #894 (isolation #57) » Fri May 15, 2009 6:16 am

Post by Patrick »

And to expand on that, a prod and request for content is quite reasonable when all your posts today up until your last have been fluff and not said anything about your suspicions. To say that you're being asked to have no life is an obvious exageration.
Xdaamno wrote:The mutual suspiscion on me in the last few posts is, objectively, from my point of view, scum-driven and has gone unnoticed because of a tired, bloodthirsty town.
It pretty much has to be, since everyone in the game except you has expressed suspicion of you.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #898 (isolation #58) » Fri May 15, 2009 6:39 am

Post by Patrick »

The 3 posts you've made this game day but before this real life day don't say anything about your suspicions. Quoting me and saying fail doesn't change that fact.

How many scum do we have left in the game?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #915 (isolation #59) » Sun May 17, 2009 8:19 am

Post by Patrick »

Incognito wrote:If charter did happen to get night-killed last night, why couldn't a Korts-scum simply claim that he was roleblocked or something like that? Do you really think a scum Doctor would protect a practically confirmed townie from an NK just to protect himself when there are other ways to explain away a possible charter-death?
I imagine that's practically the only thing he could try if that situation arose, but he'd still likely be in big trouble/probably lynched. If people believe it's mafia/SK setup, nobody would buy into another scum roleblocker even existing. Another one could exist if we're in a 2 mafia setup, but it hardly strikes me as a situation he'd want to be in, especially after people disliked OMGL's death on night 1. If you think there are a multitude of other ways he could explain away a charter death then feel free to list them. I think it would be met by heavy skeptsism.

You also bobbed over the other possibly I gave. Having told us at the start of the day that you think the setup is a strange one designed to break meta conventions, why do you seem to hold such a close minded position?
Incognito wrote:Also @Patrick: if you do believe that we're dealing with two scum groups here, don't you think a Korts-scum would have had some indication during Day 1 that he might have been opposed by a separate mafia-scum faction? Do you think a Korts-scum would claim Bodyguard of all roles while having that kind of knowledge?
Yes, if we've got two mafia groups I think both groups would have at least suspected another one out there, or at the least an SK out there. And as I said when I replied to GC, I could see scum claiming bodyguard pretty easily. It's a weak role, not too likely to pull a nightkill (certainly less likely than a doc claim) and it's unlikely to pull a counterclaim because it's a rare role. Your post seems to imply you don't think a scum would claim bodyguard, why?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #919 (isolation #60) » Sun May 17, 2009 11:07 am

Post by Patrick »

Incognito wrote:If you're talking about the Mafia Watcher, I can't really see that as a possibility. I think if Korts is scum with an ability that actually allows me to see him target people, he would be more likely to claim a role that mirrors the effects of a Bodyguard (i.e. a protective role like a Mafia Doctor) so that his claim maintains a level of seamlessness. It's not that I don't believe a Mafia Watcher can exist in this set-up.
I don't follow. Nobody would claim mafia doctor. If you're saying a mafia watcher would claim something that kind of mirrors their ability, I think a protective role does fairly well. Both watchers and protective roles target people who they think are likely nightkill targets.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #926 (isolation #61) » Tue May 19, 2009 9:09 am

Post by Patrick »

charter wrote:I'm pretty sure Xdaamo is Ether's buddy. Patrick is my next choice for scum. I think it's unlikely that he is scum with Ether/Xdaamo however. He really hasn't said much today I don't think. I will go back and review Patrick and make a case if it is merited.
I've said more than you, both today and in previous days. The only thing I haven't yet done is decide on someone I'm happy lynching, mostly because any scum pairing I can think of has something weird about it, and so does the idea that we only have 1 mafia and 1 SK left, for balance reasons.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #928 (isolation #62) » Tue May 19, 2009 11:53 am

Post by Patrick »

charter wrote:This isn't a contest.
Shrug, what you said about me is untrue. Don't be surprised if I point out that you've added relatively little to the game.

I didn't say that I can't come up with a theory that makes sense, I said that each of them has something weird to it. It happens pretty often.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #944 (isolation #63) » Fri May 22, 2009 7:06 am

Post by Patrick »

charter wrote:I would like to hear some of your theories and what you think is wierd with each, if you don't mind.
Near the start of the day I said that I think Xdaamno is red mafia and that Korts is scum with either Incognito or GC. Incognito's posts today make me think he's probably town, but I can see GC/Korts. Their behaviour would make sense for it, and it's basically why I asked GC about why he's cleared Korts, since he seems very quick to write him off as town, especially since he's said Incognito is likely scum (therefore making his claimed result doubtful). The weirdness to this is that it means Korts would have to be scum with a secondary ability who targetted you last night, or Incognito would have to be an SK who made a fakeclaim (really not seeing that though). A Korts/Xdaamno pairing requires the same weirdness.

I don't see GC and Xdaamno being scum together based on their play all game.

The fact that each of those pairings has something odd has actually led me to consider it just being one mafiate and an SK left: in that case I would think Xdaamno is mafia and GC is the serial killer. My issue there is the balance of the game seems pretty ridiculous. I know Yos was a miller and that's a slight disadvantage, but it still seems like we have so much power in that scenario, and vollkan's previous game was much more balanced. GC and Xdaamno are both scum in most plausible scenarios I can think of so I'm thinking one of them should be lynched, with GC looking like the safer bet in case we do have 8-2-2 and Xdaamno is red.

Xdaamno wrote:Out of habit, I'd like to point out posts such as these make it pretty clear I'm not likely to be scum:
It seems like she states some suspicion of you but never actually voted you or tried to get you lynched. I don't see how that's in your favour.

One point of interest here:
Xdaamno wrote:
Ether wrote:Izzy's 250 bugs me, putting both me and Yosarian in her top three. The second part of her case on me is bullshit--I do not need her opinion to bandwagon people, thank you very much. I didn't get what Patrick saw in it at the time, either. (Epilogue: Incognito is stealing my lines.)
Assumes Patrick is in the right here.
It actually looks like the exact opposite to me, she's telling me she thinks I'm wrong, not assuming I'm right. How did you draw a connection from this?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #947 (isolation #64) » Sat May 23, 2009 10:39 am

Post by Patrick »

GC wrote:And contrary to what Patrick thinks, charter and Korts are pretty cleared in my book.
I think charter is pretty cleared as well. I don't imagine scum being given that ability.
Xdaamno wrote:I still think it's pretty clear. She was assuming he did see something valuable, and was probing to find what it was.
No she wasn't, since I'd already explained what I'd seen when questioned by Incognito. She even says "didn't get what he saw in it at the time", meaning she found my reaction strange at the time. Are you reading in context?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #959 (isolation #65) » Mon May 25, 2009 2:12 am

Post by Patrick »

Do you have any suspicions of Korts/Incognito/charter? Your posts give me the impression you don't and that you've narrowed it down just to me and GC. If you're protown, why so picky between the two of us? Wouldn't we both have to be scum from your perspective?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #974 (isolation #66) » Tue May 26, 2009 10:32 am

Post by Patrick »

GC wrote:Patrick: If you're okay with 2 mafia v 2 mafia v town, and 2 mafia v 1 sk v town as potential setups, what about 3 mafia v 1 sk v town?
Yes, I've considered that too. If that's the case I would think that either you or Xdaamno would be paired with Korts and the other would be an SK. I doubt Incognito would be scum in this scenario because that would make him either an SK who made a claim that I can't understand at all, or mafia who bused Ether. I'm leaning towards the other setups being more likely though.
Incognito wrote:Patrick, why aren't you voting yet?
Mainly I don't see the need for lynch-1 just yet when there's still one or two things I'd like discussed (actually mainly the question I asked Xdaamno in my last). I'm aware of the deadline and won't be leaving my vote until the last minute.

Xdaamno: please answer the question in my last post. I don't think you missed it.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #980 (isolation #67) » Wed May 27, 2009 10:58 pm

Post by Patrick »

Alright, I was going to wait a bit, but I don't think we're getting much more discussion, and I'm probably just delaying the inevitable. I think both GC and Xdaamno are scum, but this seems like the best choice of lynch. Major apologies if this loses the game, but I don't think it will.
Vote: GC
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #993 (isolation #68) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:02 am

Post by Patrick »

Not sure that's going to help. I strongly suspect Xdaamno, but will reread since I've been a bit out of touch with the game.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #995 (isolation #69) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:05 am

Post by Patrick »

What about that line made you want to confirm FoS him?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #998 (isolation #70) » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:39 am

Post by Patrick »

Yeah, that's something worth finding out. I'm not interested in going for a draw here.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1005 (isolation #71) » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:59 am

Post by Patrick »

Bleah. I'm not interested in happily ever after, I think we should be able to win this. I'll be annoyed if Korts is scum who wins because of some lucky secondary ability, but it seems like a slim risk to take, and Xdaamno's interactions with Ether still look alot worse. I'll hold my vote for now, but have a hard time imagining I won't be voting Xdaamno.

charter, do you want to lynch today?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1011 (isolation #72) » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:54 am

Post by Patrick »

charter wrote:Well, I still think it's Xdaamo. Patrick, what are your thoughts, and why should we lynch Xdaamo?
One of the reasons I suspect him is how he behaved around Ether. When Incognito attacked Ether at the start of day 2, Xdaamno looks like he tried to turn off the Ether wagon, but he did so in a way that never defends Ether directly or comments on her alignment directly. Instead he pushed the easy Yos wagon to rival it, and attacked Incognito for try to "delay" the Yoslynch. Later on when the tide started to turn against Ether and it looked like an Ether-lynch was likely, Xdaamno's suspicion on her seemed to rise sharply.
Xdaamno wrote:Yos: I have the same opinion on her as you do to someone you're not paying attention to - I don't get the wagon. I will take a look at what people find suspiscious now.
This was after Ether got to lynch-1. It doesn't make much sense that he wasn't paying attention to the wagon on Ether - he had expressed suspicion of Incognito for starting it, and suggested Incognito was trying to distract from a Yos-lynch. If he really felt that way, I'd have expected him to have evaluated the case against Ether as a top priority. A couple of days later he posted this:
Xdaamno wrote:Lots of linguistic cliches in her last few posts, such as this one. I think that's a very strong scum tell because townies are never complacent. So, yes, an Ether wagon looks very good to me.
Full post here. As I said at the time, this seems alot like manufactured suspicion. Ether's play was different here to her town-meta, but I don't think her writing style was out of the ordinary (linguistic cliches or not). Plus Xdaamno has played with Ether before so I think he's well aware of her writing style. On day 2 I think Ether's buddy would have been reluctant to bus her because roleblocker is a very useful role, especially if there might be another scum faction in the game, and his behaviour of pretty much ignoring/deflecting the Ether-wagon then suddenly becoming suspicious of her late on is exactly what I'd expect a scumbud to do.

Also, the other two possibilities both have role stuff going in their favour (charter's proven ability, Incognito watching Korts). Unless Xdaamno does or says something that changes my mind soon, I intend to vote him.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1014 (isolation #73) » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:34 am

Post by Patrick »

Xdaamno wrote:If you think that was how Ether always talks, I know her far better than you do. It was different to her posts in this very game.
I doubt very much that you know her better than I do. If you really think she was using linguistic cliches in such a way that was majorly scummy, please give me a few examples. I'm sceptical.
Xdaamno wrote:Can someone less stupid than me make a list of each player's roleclaims? Mine is townie. If all you guys have interesting roles, that makes me significantly less likely to be scum.
Me, you: Townie
charter: Masoniser
Korts: Bodyguard
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1016 (isolation #74) » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 am

Post by Patrick »

I'm not too fussed which posts of hers you use to give an example. I can see one or two in the post you quoted, if say "pfft" or "square 1" count as linguistic cliches, but that doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary. And it's hard to believe something like that could cause such a big jump in suspicion anyway.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1018 (isolation #75) » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Post by Patrick »

Xdaamno wrote:You missed "catch it", "I'll live", "shift my attitude", "suspiscious ones", "out of the way", "sneaking around", "my blitz", "behind the slow start", "anything to show", back into the mood", "it's a negative anyway", "owned", the small text in "most of it", "fuel me", "dominate", "low-profile", "in contrast", and "stunted".
Eh. I don't want to get into a lengthy debate about the english language, but only a few of these really strike me as linguistic cliches. "I'll live" probably jumps out the most, and a few of the others maybe, but most of this looks pretty normal to me. Based on some of the stuff you've highlighted here it seems like you could make a case for almost anything being a linguistic cliche.
Xdaamno wrote:Lots of little things, but they really add up. Yes, I see your point that it looks unlikely that I would attack Ether without saying anything beforehand like this, but I really can't believe you could possibly imagine town players saying that.
This last part looks especially disingenuous. You're the only person to have made any kind of an issue about this, so clearly it's not the blindingly obvious you're trying to make it out to be.
Xdaamno wrote:If you were being honest here, I think you would have made an effort to get what I was saying - I think it's unlikely you just didn't understand me, because it's pretty clear.
This sounds like an incredibly forced interpretation. My issue (which you seem to acknowledge as reasonable in your previous quote) is that your suspicion of her seemed to rise way beyond what I think would be natural. It's not that I don't understand what you're saying, I just don't believe it. I gave you a chance to point to what linguistic cliches from her were majorly scummy that might cause such a big increase in suspicion, and you haven't convinced me; I also get the feeling you're trying to spin this into an excuse to vote me in the near future.

Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1033 (isolation #76) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:05 am

Post by Patrick »

:D

I think the setup is too busy. It seems to put the emphasis more on claims, outguessing the mod and nightgames than traditional scumhunting. The setup also seems very harsh on the SK; I'd definitely buff it with some kind of unightkillability.

I think I managed to play alot closer to my town self than I have as scum in the past, helped immensely by the fact that I had some genuine suspicions throughout the game, and that all my genuine suspicions were wrong, which helped avoid a nightkill. I really did think charter was scum on day 1, long before I switched my vote to him, and I was very suspicious of skitzer as well, but I kept holding back my thoughts in case I was right and it got me nightkilled. On day 3 I pretty much lost all hope and was mainly trying to think up ways I might be able to cut a deal with the other scum faction to make a tie. I started off the day thinking it would be another mafia and gradually moved towards thinking it was an SK (which I expected to be unightkillable). I didn't even strongly think GC was scum when I hammered him, but I just thought I'd look scummy and risk being lynched myself if I tried to move it towards Xdaamno. I also had in the back of my mind that if GC was a serial killer, I'd have a chance of winning (yay). Even on night 3, I worried that Incognito might have the ability to self-watch and that he'd catch me in the act.

I went with the no-kill strategy because Korts had made up his mind on Xdaamno and I wanted to keep him around; I wasn't entirely sure whether charter would side with me in an endgame. I expected the town would go for a lynch once vollkan announced that a no-lynch would allow scum to take a draw.

Thanks to all for the game. I found it terrifying pretty much the whole way.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1035 (isolation #77) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:47 am

Post by Patrick »

Incognito wrote:Well done, Patrick. >=( Did you feel any remorse when you killed me?
=(
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1036 (isolation #78) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:57 am

Post by Patrick »

I'm not surprised at all that OMGL checked me. This even looks like a breadcrumb of sorts.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1039 (isolation #79) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:47 am

Post by Patrick »

Flip out as in, fake change of heart? Did you think he was town the entire game or scum the entire game?
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1049 (isolation #80) » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:41 am

Post by Patrick »

I was quite surprised by the amount of hatred you picked up for the claim, as it looked like a protown move to me. I think as a miller I'd personally just keep it to myself and play normally and hope to get nightkilled. My rising suspicion of you day 2 was faked to try and provide an alternative to Ether; at that point I knew a red herring wasn't unlikely since my own perk was a similar red herring.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”