Browser Extension Vote-Counter (early demo)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #21 (isolation #0) » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:23 pm

Post by yessiree »

ego
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:35 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 22, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 20, Psyche wrote: How much dev or validation do you think the vote tabulator itself might need? Can you remind of the basic strategy it implements?
I have absolutely no idea what you mean
i think psyche is asking how the votecounter matches vote strings to players
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (isolation #2) » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:14 pm

Post by yessiree »

been wanting to contribute to this project too, i'll revisit this soon!

quick question @JV, why did you decide to use a package like zod, as opposed to just regular TSDoc? zod is kind of intimidating to see in a ts project ngl :lol:
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (isolation #3) » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:29 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 105, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 104, yessiree wrote: been wanting to contribute to this project too, i'll revisit this soon!

quick question @JV, why did you decide to use a package like zod, as opposed to just regular TSDoc? zod is kind of intimidating to see in a ts project ngl :lol:
I used what I was most comfortable with as I wanted to spit something out pretty fast, I haven’t touched much tsdoc all things considered even though I probably should.
gotcha, i was just wondering why u would use zod because it is kinda overkill for this project, interfaces and TSDoc that come out of the box with typescript should be good enough

maybe my first PR will be deprecating zod and replacing it with typescript native syntax :thinking:
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (isolation #4) » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:42 pm

Post by yessiree »

In post 111, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 104, yessiree wrote: quick question @JV, why did you decide to use a package like zod, as opposed to just regular TSDoc? zod is kind of intimidating to see in a ts project ngl
Can TSDoc validate objects? Because I'm mostly using Zod to validate types so I don't have to go through and check them myself, as there is no typesafe layer when communicating from the content scripts and the bg scripts
if you are validating objects during runtime (from user input), there is no easy way, because types don't exist in runtime, you'd have to go through the good ol' user input validation step

this might help (i see you have a lot of optional fields in the game definition check)
https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/han ... predicates
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (isolation #5) » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:53 pm

Post by yessiree »

In post 113, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 112, yessiree wrote:
In post 111, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 104, yessiree wrote: quick question @JV, why did you decide to use a package like zod, as opposed to just regular TSDoc? zod is kind of intimidating to see in a ts project ngl
Can TSDoc validate objects? Because I'm mostly using Zod to validate types so I don't have to go through and check them myself, as there is no typesafe layer when communicating from the content scripts and the bg scripts
if you are validating objects during runtime (from user input), there is no easy way, because types don't exist in runtime, you'd have to go through the good ol' user input validation step

this might help (i see you have a lot of optional fields in the game definition check)
https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/han ... predicates
Yeah I know types don't exist in runtime, that's why I am using zod to validate it
yeah on a closer look of the codebase i dont think zod is as overkill as i thought it was lol
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (isolation #6) » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:31 pm

Post by yessiree »

In post 116, Psyche wrote: i am vry confused
maybe i stick to pythonland after all
Can ignore what I talked about
It's only about syntax so not very relevant to the actual features of the project
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (isolation #7) » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:28 pm

Post by yessiree »

In post 119, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 118, Aureal wrote: This thing still hates me no matter what I do. :lol: Can't even get it working with just the player list again. I recall last time I used it I had to workaround the dead section not working by just removing those players from the list.
I recall last time the issue was using tabs and not spaces or something (which is so silly of a problem) is it that again?
In post 120, Aureal wrote: Nope, definitely using spaces. Repeatedly tried copy/pasting the both the last game's file and the formatting you gave me and just adjusting the names.
https://github.com/JacksonVirgo/mafiasc ... ols/pull/3

I submitted a PR to fix the issue Aureal is having. Please review and merge, thanks!
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (isolation #8) » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:44 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 122, JacksonVirgo wrote: Merged. Thanks for catching that btw lol.

Sadly I don’t have a way to compile it at the moment (my computer is deadge)
glad to help

thanks to Aureal for being the guinea pig
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (isolation #9) » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:36 pm

Post by yessiree »

submitted another PR for some refactoring

one of them is using "view=print" mode when scraping posts, which should drastically speed up votecount generation since it potentially reduces the response payload size by over 90%! (from over 1 MB to ~40 kB per request)
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (isolation #10) » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:58 pm

Post by yessiree »

what are we cooking next? what's on your radar atm
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (isolation #11) » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:47 pm

Post by yessiree »

something more tangible and less grandeur
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (isolation #12) » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 pm

Post by yessiree »

would it really need to be a "votecount" though, as in a snapshot of all votes at a given time, since the underlying data would just be a collection of votes
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (isolation #13) » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:59 pm

Post by yessiree »

i guess that begs the question actually: what data format would be best suited to run vca or any kind of analysis on voting behaviors
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (isolation #14) » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:05 pm

Post by yessiree »

For votes with ambiguous targets, I lean more towards flagging them to be checked manually rather than trying to parse the intended target using NLP. Reason one is that configuration (usernames, aliases and replacements) are needed for each game anyway, reason two is that if the string parsing algo is not 100% accurate, you dataset ends up with some incorrect data, and reason three - NLP is hard!

I imagine the process would be like
- configure basic settings (usernames, replacements, common aliases, etc) for games from which to collect data
- collect votes -> get a list of votes + a list of flagged votes
- go through the flagged votes one by one and add aliases as necessary
- repeat step 2 until you have no more flagged votes
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #166 (isolation #15) » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:05 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 152, JacksonVirgo wrote: I also want to add cached config results so you don't have to upload over and over.
Well actually I was thinking of working on a config editor to replace yaml config files altogether, but wasn't sure if that's the direction you wanted to go. Basically, it will be a UI that lets you edit configs and save/load them to/from local storage.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (isolation #16) » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:12 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 167, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 166, yessiree wrote:
In post 152, JacksonVirgo wrote: I also want to add cached config results so you don't have to upload over and over.
Well actually I was thinking of working on a config editor to replace yaml config files altogether, but wasn't sure if that's the direction you wanted to go. Basically, it will be a UI that lets you edit configs and save/load them to/from local storage.
I wanted to do this much earlier but never got the motivation to actually get it to work so I scrapped it temporarily
probably because you were using jquery :lol:
should be fairly trivial with react!
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #170 (isolation #17) » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:37 am

Post by yessiree »

I can work out a quick WIP next week
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (isolation #18) » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:40 pm

Post by yessiree »

hmm, I definitely agree that the string matching algo needs to perform at a certain accuracy level, or be improved in some way, but for the average mod who's using this to generate VCs every now and then, I don't think it's too much trouble for them to go through this process of looking at flagged votes and addressing them through config fixes?

as for vca, i should clarify that i don't really see the whole process happening at once. That is, collecting data and then performing analysis on said data. In other words, I don't see that we're shipping a tool that does everything in one complete package. I moreso see it as two separate processes; first is the data collection part, with the goal of creating a dataset to be used later, the second one is the analysis. These two processes don't need to be coupled together.

so i guess what im trying to say is that i dont see the point of creating a tool for other people to collect data on their own, but rather creating a tool to collect data ourselves, and then making this dataset available to the public. in that vein, data is only collected once and done, and that reduces the need for a perfect algorithm, if that makes sense

i dont want to stop you from doing what you're doing tho!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”