The Council (mafia + nomic) - thoughts?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:20 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Given the examples on the webpage you linked, it seems like the Outsider fits more as the Moderator of the game rather than another player in it, especially given that for it to function as it seems like it's intended the proposals should be more of a negotiation with the Outsider on the proposals relative fairness instead of a straight "veto if bad for mafia don't veto if good for mafia". If you want to run it with an Outsider-moderator, then you might want to include an idea of how much "power" is fair to hand out given the playercount - with something like 7vs2 at least, the first one-shot cop or a doctor type proposal would be fair game, while if you increased the playercount to fit a more typical "no power roles" playercount of 10vs2 or 11vs2 the Outsider would have much more reign to veto anything at all that could be harmful to mafia. Having a player as the Outsider rather than a moderator would make it tough to run it at lower playercounts where power roles are needed without explicitly limiting the veto for the Outsider, but adding veto limitations to an Outsider player risks the non-Rebel players trying to find the limit of the veto with nothing but varying powerful proposals and then trying to break the game that way. (Though also, given that elim proposals take 6 hours rather than the full day, 11vs2 might be a bit many players on the town side as well if town wants to only elim twice a day instead of making new rules)

I don't really see how the game would be compromised with a real-life deadline? You could make it a bit longer than a regular game here (2 1/2 or 3 weeks instead of 2 maybe), but also most people outside Mafiascum have much shorter deadlines than us and may be used to much faster paced games, so if you have 2+ people coming into the site just to try it then you may want to keep their expectations in mind as well.

First-come first-served on proposals makes sense to me, you could do it another way but I would try to avoid much complexity in the proposal system itself given that adding new rules mid-game will add plenty of complexity and challenge to moderating it on its own.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:08 am

Post by Gammagooey »

lendunistus wrote:
In post 1, Gammagooey wrote: with something like 7vs2 at least, the first one-shot cop or a doctor type proposal would be fair game
proposing power roles wouldn't work since the Outsider's goal is to make the mafia win. putting power roles in the starting ruleset is an option, but that just feels kind of... wrong? probably just me though
I see where you're coming from - the main issue imo is that as you said, the Outsider has no incentive to approve any proposals without some benefit to the mafia or some kind of potential Monkey-paw effect for the town. For the Outsider as a strictly mafia-aligned player to work, I think their veto needs
some
limitations in order to make the proposals & game part of it fun, but adding strict or public limitations leads to potential game-breaking (or at least game-breaking attempts that might make the game less fun).

I'd maybe consider starting with a particular setting or theme, and use that to put in a few hidden restrictions for the Outsider's veto. I'll PM you a quick idea for a possible restriction, but the exact details are obv completely up to you!
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #5 (isolation #2) » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 am

Post by Gammagooey »

You could try without any veto restrictions, but I think you would be solely relying on the Outsider prioritizing making the game fun & interesting rather than strictly playing to their win condition imo. I saw that both of these passed as the first proposal in a game, and I think many players on this site would avoid giving any sort of investigation results
ever
as the Outsider, as doing so would make it less likely for their team to win.
Eliminate Cuddlebeam. The Outsider shall then unambiguously post to the gamestate channel the name of a non-Spy Courtier for the purposes of this Proposal, themed as the death letter with the result of Cuddlebeam’s investigations into the royal family.
A physical object denoted as "Crystal Ball" starts it's gamestate as being on the ground. When the status of the Crystal Ball is in gamestate of a Village Folk's, that player may use the object. If the object used, they are told the names of 3 other Village Folk. The names of the Village Folk will consist of 2 Good Townsfolk and 1 Evil Henchman, however, the possessor is not told which of those Village Folk resides of either alignment.(In other word: If Alice is told the names of Bob, Carl and Daphne, then Alice know 2 of trio is good and 1 is bad. However, Alice is unaware of which of the trio is good and which is evil). Once Crystal Ball is used, it remains unable from that point onward.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”