How to balance multiball games?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (isolation #0) » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:33 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

No matter how balanced something might seem in theory you still need to be ready for something like this to happen in practice.

The thing I don't really like about the idea of 10:3:3 is that the town could theoretically lose even with perfect play. I don't really like to say a setup is balanced if something like that is possible no matter how improbable it seems in theory.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (isolation #1) » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:24 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 22, DragonEater70 wrote:
In post 21, Zachrulez wrote: The thing I don't really like about the idea of 10:3:3 is that the town could theoretically lose even with perfect play. I don't really like to say a setup is balanced if something like that is possible no matter how improbable it seems in theory.
That is a good point, I feel players should have agency and I guess 2-3 town deaths every night might lose town the game even with perfect play.

So do you think for a 3:3 ratio of scum it would need to be something like 12:3:3? Or even 14:3:3? I mean mathematically 14:3:3 should definitely be fine but might be a bit townsided even (with PRs).
I think town being able to win with perfect play is the absolute starting point for balance. Even 11 townies accomplishes that goal. I'm not sure how I feel about town being able to lose after only a few mistakes but in multiball I'm not sure how often that would happen vs everything in between. You're probably fine at 12 townies and I would have the exact number depend on what power you want to put in the game I suppose. Though one of the strange things about multiball is that you don't really need power for balance because scum vs scum actually does inherently balance a lot of the town disadvantage. Scum are as likely to wreck each other's games as they are town.
In post 23, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 21, Zachrulez wrote: No matter how balanced something might seem in theory you still need to be ready for something like this to happen in practice.

The thing I don't really like about the idea of 10:3:3 is that the town could theoretically lose even with perfect play. I don't really like to say a setup is balanced if something like that is possible no matter how improbable it seems in theory.
Swing and balance are not the same thing
My post is probably poorly worded but it was meant to convey the dangers of swing.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”