How to balance multiball games?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:01 pm

Post by the worst »

i'm not a balance wizard, so someone a bit more wise will be able to help more.just a couple of thoughts on designing/balancing multiball:

• how are you balancing for night kills? having multiple deaths from anti-town sources at night significantly increases a game's swing. couple of open examples on how these have been approached:
    jungle republic does this by having a (1) 3p mafia team without NKs or counters, but with an advantage due to high numbers & (2) a 2p werewolf team with nightkills, but with a town seer who can ID them & without that numerical advantage
    elemental large approached this by having, like, a scissor/paper/rock mechanic which will prevent NKs conditionally

• are you balancing for a 50% town / 50% anti-town winrate (i.e. 50/25/25, etc.) or are you balancing for an equal winrate (i.e. 33/33/33, etc.)?

• mith has done some ev calculations on vanilla multiball here, which may help a little with numbers.

• is there something about this game which will keep day play exciting? for example, just a phenomenon i've seen a lot: scum can more easily look like traditional townies, since there is a lot which they aren't informed about. this means multiball games often have vocal townies and vocal scum dancing around each other a lot, especially in early phases. it can be easy for other players to get drowned out. nightkills then often remove the louder voices which are motivated to solve, leaving behind people who feel fatigued from earlier in the game. is there anything in the setup which accounts for this type of fatigue?

• sadly or not, a lot of people don't enjoy multiball, especially in closed setups, or if there's a limited level of town power. just an example of a concept that curb this -- "everyone is a dayvig" style setups (e.g. EHOBANOHAR or echo bay grits SEO as examples).

talking on echo bay grits seo for a sec: open information is like, everyone has a daykill, which draws folks in for the gimmick. hidden info is multiple scumteams, some players are bulletproof, some players are strongwilled.

not saying multiball games need a gimmick to draw numbers. just, like, it's worth being wary that they are unpopular vs. singleball!
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:26 pm

Post by the worst »

i prefer setups which are balanced around equal winrates across all factions, if solo scum outperforms town/mafia but everyone had a chance, i'd rather have 90-95% of the playerlist lose to the quality play. personal opinion though.

this would make quite a cool poll actually :thinking:

Return to “Mafia Discussion”