Radical Rat's Mini Normal Review, June 2023 (Released)

Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:52 am

Post by Isis »

I don't think two millers is a good idea
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #13 (isolation #1) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:55 am

Post by Isis »

The problem is that when the apparent EV on outguessing the mod becomes considerably better than the EV on ascertaining the identity of the mafia through social deduction people are going to try to outguess the mod.
A lot of these discussions have a tendency to focus on how resilient the mod actually is to being genuinely outguessed but not how hard ascertaining the identity of the mafia through social deduction is. The latter is actually very hard, and it's also variable and difficult to control how hard it is, some Day 1s create strong leads and some don't, Day 4s are more likely to have some momentum and that can mediate modwifom for massclaim roles more than d1 claim roles. In particular many people don't think it's acceptable to do any game play before claiming miller so this setup spec is going to be competing with a low-information-phase that hasn't even germinated yet.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #14 (isolation #2) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:56 am

Post by Isis »

The EV thing is exacerbated by how mislimming a miller guarantees you don't mislim a PR or expose a PR claim, in a setup that has a cop.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #15 (isolation #3) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:59 am

Post by Isis »

In post 5, Radical Rat wrote: Do you think it would work better having a third Miller so that it at least guarantees it's at least not a 1v1 if Mafia doesn't try to claim Miller?
I feel like this could work, and millers are enough like named townies you could maybe even go 4? You end up getting 13p divide and conquer with a copimmune group right?
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #17 (isolation #4) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:03 am

Post by Isis »

If I play the setup in OP I expect mafia to not actually claim miller, both millers to trueclaim, townies to speculate the first miller claim is scum with a role like "cop-finder" that went for an instant win at the risk of miller being present in the setup, mislim.
With 3 or 4 miller claims I'd expect players to assume a setup was designed with a subtheme of having a large number of millers, and for mafia to even feel comfortable joining in maybe

Pedit: good idea
High information scum is a pretty good new fad, have only seen it improve games afaict
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #19 (isolation #5) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:07 am

Post by Isis »

I uh, didn't notice that.

I think single investigative 3:8s don't work out even if Sherlock Holmes himself rands cop.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #21 (isolation #6) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:27 pm

Post by Isis »

Because of the experimental nature of the setup I want to make Datisi's public info suggestion obligatory. Or something in that range.

Let me offer this, pretty close to #20:

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Informed ("There are exactly four millers in this setup.")
1 Mafia Miller Enabler
4 VTs
4 Town Miller
1 Town Cop
1 Town Backup Cop

I think this should pan out ok. Town gets information from a divide and conquer aspect of the setup, cop and backup cop are mostly self clearing claims, and town has a cop all the way through. All of that sounds almost like a strong town, but then mafia gets a player immune to investigation. Mechanically it's optimal for the player who randed miller enabler to be the one to join in on the miller claims since that player cannot be investigated after the miller abilities turn off.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #23 (isolation #7) » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:11 pm

Post by Isis »

The final part of the process is posting role PMs for review and investigation result messages for review in the review PT

Since you'll probably also want those in your mod PT that results in a little duplication
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #26 (isolation #8) » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:36 am

Post by Isis »

I'm definitely more concerned it's too strong for town rather than too strong for scum, but rr if youre happy with it as it is we don't have to bikeshed it. There should be a scum path to win in in there.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #28 (isolation #9) » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:37 am

Post by Isis »

My thought was lazy but 1shot might be better
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #33 (isolation #10) » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:24 am

Post by Isis »

PMs look oj
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #35 (isolation #11) » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:13 am

Post by Isis »

Y
"Well, I..."

Return to “Completed Game Reviews”