[Planning] Mafiascum Site Championship Series

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her, they/them

Post Post #14 (isolation #0) » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:41 am

Post by Aisa »

I think I personally find the idea of a cash prize this high a little... strange? awkward?

I don't know that there's an actual logical reason for this but I'll try to explain why I would find the ~ vibes ~ tricky to navigate.

Spoiler: Aisa's feelings
I think I'd prefer if first place were like $10 or $20. I think in this case the vibes are more "bet you suckers a tenner that you won't beat me in the final game" and I'm into that. Another way to put it would be that if I took part in the event, and I had the last two games to go and it looked like I was actually in the running to win, I would feel that $10 would be a Safe And Wholesome amount to care about. I could say something like "YOU'RE SCUM AND IF YOU THINK I'M LETTING YOU MAKE AWAY WITH MY TENNER WELL YOU'RE DEAD WRONGG!!!" and I
think
this would be an appropriate joke.

Whereas $100 is a Not Insignificant Amount Of Money and I'm not sure I would... know how to behave towards it? Do I act like I want to win it? But all of a sudden jokes like the above don't seem completely appropriate anymore, and generally my gut is signalling to me that I need to use Tact. Ok, so maybe I just pretend the prize not there and play the game like normal. But... it is there?

Maybe I'm just not sure about the idea of a monetary incentive in general. [Insert cliché about how I play mafia for fun and money would make it too serious].

I want to emphasise I don't know what's right or wrong. I'm... sharing how I feel to start a conversation. Others may feel differently in which case I encourage them to share their thoughts. In particular can see people thinking $100 is appropriate for an event of this size / length.
Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her, they/them

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:30 am

Post by Aisa »

In post 15, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 14, Aisa wrote: I think I personally find the idea of a cash prize this high a little... strange? awkward?

I don't know that there's an actual logical reason for this but I'll try to explain why I would find the ~ vibes ~ tricky to navigate.

Spoiler: Aisa's feelings
I think I'd prefer if first place were like $10 or $20. I think in this case the vibes are more "bet you suckers a tenner that you won't beat me in the final game" and I'm into that. Another way to put it would be that if I took part in the event, and I had the last two games to go and it looked like I was actually in the running to win, I would feel that $10 would be a Safe And Wholesome amount to care about. I could say something like "YOU'RE SCUM AND IF YOU THINK I'M LETTING YOU MAKE AWAY WITH MY TENNER WELL YOU'RE DEAD WRONGG!!!" and I
think
this would be an appropriate joke.

Whereas $100 is a Not Insignificant Amount Of Money and I'm not sure I would... know how to behave towards it? Do I act like I want to win it? But all of a sudden jokes like the above don't seem completely appropriate anymore, and generally my gut is signalling to me that I need to use Tact. Ok, so maybe I just pretend the prize not there and play the game like normal. But... it is there?

Maybe I'm just not sure about the idea of a monetary incentive in general. [Insert cliché about how I play mafia for fun and money would make it too serious].

I want to emphasise I don't know what's right or wrong. I'm... sharing how I feel to start a conversation. Others may feel differently in which case I encourage them to share their thoughts. In particular can see people thinking $100 is appropriate for an event of this size / length.
Your feelings are valid and i appreciate you sharing them.

From my end i think that 100 dollars is definitely of an appropriate level for the amount of time and effort that a person will have put into this event in order to win it over the course of a whole year and i promise you that the amount of money is not an amount that it matters for me to spend in this way or i wouldn't want to do it.

If it makes you feel better in terms of playing for it you can either a) opt out of prizes. In this case i will pass down the prizes you would have won to the person below you and move everything else down one slot. Or b) i am happy to make a donation in your name to the charity of your choice instead of the prize going directly to you.
Thank you.

Yes, I can totally see why to others the amount of effort and passion needed to win the event would justify the prize. And although I would have pretty confidently guessed that you could afford to donate the prizes, it's good to see this confirmed.

I think I'd find both options a) and b) satisfying and they would take away a lot of the hesitance I personally would have towards playing the event. If a lot of potential participants would want to take option a), maybe that would be a sign that the community as a whole feels a bit ambivalent about the prizes, but I suppose you cross that bridge if it arises.

(Also personally I'm considering a break/hiatus so not sure I'd be around consistently enough to give the event a serious go.)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”