Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2711 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

A friend of mine just got Settlers of Catan and hes bring it over in a few weeks for a few of us to play. Any tips or tricks? Is it a complicated game? DO I need to read the rules ahead of time?
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2713 (isolation #1) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:26 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

In post 2712, hasdgfas wrote:classic gateway game
Sounds easy. Does this mean I'm going to try harder and more dangerous games until I have a serious problem?

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4039 (isolation #2) » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:35 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

I played One Night Ultimate werewolf over the weekend, and it was incredibly and needlessly confusing to all of us. 5 players, 3 times, had 0 fun. Then we played 5 player Catan for the first time instead. We had a blast.

We have played other "deduction-style" games in the past, Avalon and Coup. We had ALOT more fun with those games, and will def be playing those again.

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4041 (isolation #3) » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:25 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

In post 4040, furtiveglance wrote:
In post 4039, Vaxkiller wrote: I played One Night Ultimate werewolf over the weekend, and it was incredibly and needlessly confusing to all of us. 5 players, 3 times, had 0 fun. Then we played 5 player Catan for the first time instead. We had a blast.

We have played other "deduction-style" games in the past, Avalon and Coup. We had ALOT more fun with those games, and will def be playing those again.
Were you playing with the ONUW app?
Yea, it recited everything for us, it just seemed like with only 1 day phase there was so little to go on or talk about. I tried to claim my role, but everyone else thought that was a bad idea, but what else is there to talk about? If I was a wolf, and everyone did claim, I have no idea what I should claim.

I think one of the roles I had, I was supposed to switch 2 players cards, but how is that a pro town move?

At the end I was tempted to try and run a game of mafia with just townies and mafia, but I have no idea how I would have done that with 5 people and no mod, so we moved on to Catan.

We all just played Avalon a few weeks ago, and I think we were stuck on that type of play, this could be our problem.

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4044 (isolation #4) » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:58 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

In post 4042, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
In post 4041, Vaxkiller wrote:
In post 4040, furtiveglance wrote:
In post 4039, Vaxkiller wrote: I played One Night Ultimate werewolf over the weekend, and it was incredibly and needlessly confusing to all of us. 5 players, 3 times, had 0 fun. Then we played 5 player Catan for the first time instead. We had a blast.

Were you playing with the ONUW app?
Yea, it recited everything for us, it just seemed like with only 1 day phase there was so little to go on or talk about. I tried to claim my role, but everyone else thought that was a bad idea, but what else is there to talk about? If I was a wolf, and everyone did claim, I have no idea what I should claim.

I think one of the roles I had, I was supposed to switch 2 players cards, but how is that a pro town move?

At the end I was tempted to try and run a game of mafia with just townies and mafia, but I have no idea how I would have done that with 5 people and no mod, so we moved on to Catan.

We all just played Avalon a few weeks ago, and I think we were stuck on that type of play, this could be our problem.
ONUW is a logic puzzle game where you don't know if you're scum anymore even if you drew scum initially. Players lie and make fake claims then real claims, because IIRC all abilities must be used.

It's basically a mess of a game that isn't really a game but if you have some drinks in you can be a bit fun.
I'll give it another go next game night, and bring a few beers :)

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4057 (isolation #5) » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:41 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

We just bought Catan Jr to play with our little one, we all had a great time playing. It has a simplified rule set while keeping to the familiar gameplay of the regular version. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to introduce their little one to board games that are a little more complicated than trouble/candy land/etc...

My wife and I have even played without our little one on some occasions! We should probably buy the 2 player Catan version to play.

Anyone have any recommendations for 6+year olds?

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4059 (isolation #6) » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:02 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

Looks neat, we will give it a go!

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4061 (isolation #7) » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:23 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

In post 4060, furtiveglance wrote: Monopoly JR?

Samurai is light strategy but might be too advanced for a 6 yr old idk
We do have a "Bluey" version of Monopoly Jr. I'm not sure what I expected of Monopoly Jr, but it is designed pretty good. Bluey theme helps!

Samurai does look neat, but yea, it does look a little complicated maybe. I'm adding that to my future list.

I'm adding My First Carcassonne to the cart as well.

Games played.

Return to “The Arcade”