Why/when do you replace into games?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:07 pm

Post by Micc »

A large portion of the games I’ve played are ones I’ve replaced into. I find it so much easier to engage with a game that is already ongoing rather than starting from the beginning. Especially true when the game state is 5 or less players, anything more is just me feeling completely lost and unnatural inserting myself into the conversation.

I don’t read the slot before replacing in, just take a quick look at the last page or so and current votecount. Mostly I just want to know what I’d be getting into before taking the slot. How much time before deadline, how much pressure on my slot, how much scum left, how mean are people being to each other can all impact whether I’m willing to commit to joint the game.

I’ve considered writing a theory article on how to replace into a game, and I might still some day. I don’t read the game front to back - at least not right away. When I replace in, the first thing I’m reading is the build up of the current leading wagon. I want to understand where the votes came from and whether they make sense or not. I’ll keep reading back for additional context and asking questions as needed. My goal is to identify the parts of the game that are important and understand those first. At some point after I feel comfortably engaged with the game I will go through (not necessarily even read) everything front to back. that process is more purposed at making sure I’m grasping the timeline correctly and not missing anything opposed to catching up.

Game type has no impact for me. Looking at the game tells me if it’s appealing or not much more than assuming based on game type.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo

Return to “Mafia Discussion”