[SETUP] Undertale Semi-Open

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #141 (isolation #0) » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:01 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 139, Isis wrote:
Toriel's Patience3 Mafia
11 Town
Nights 1-3 are skipped.
One player is randomly, publicly Toriel at game start. Toriel has two votes day one, a single vote day two, and no votes thereafter. Toriel can't be voted before day 3 and is the only player who can be voted on day 3.
Between day two and day three, players choose Mercy or Fight. If Mercy is chosen, for there rest of the game eliminations are flavored as sparings and town wins if town spares four townies and loses if it spares two mafia.
If Fight is chosen, those effects are simply not applied.
This seems unfun for the Toriel player.

To know you can’t really vote anyone and then know you have to be elimmed D3 kinda feels bad?

On top of that you can’t really vote for Mercy or Fight without losing your limited votes?

Plus if they are scum since Toriel is the only elim possible D3 and there’s no punishment you always elim Toriel every time here.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #142 (isolation #1) » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Post by MathBlade »

I would actually dress up a super old setup I played on before MS.

Lemme see if I can find it.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #143 (isolation #2) » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:20 pm

Post by MathBlade »

https://forum.throneoflies.com/t/purgat ... -win/72233

This was during a hiatus from MS not before hand. My bad

The biggest flaw was that you could elim a scum for control so you just always elim scum the scummiest players first then control in the main game is with town. So scum was penalized for completing their wincon.

I would change this to where you have Heaven and Hell player stumps. Nightkills do not happen then you just have spare or hurt instead of Heaven/hell

Then build Undertale flavor around it.

If you want NKs to happen you’d have to increase the number of town dramatically here.

This idea could use some smithing as it’s 1 am but I think it’s along the lines of what you’re looking for
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #146 (isolation #3) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:37 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 144, Jingle wrote:
In post 140, Isis wrote:someone review this please
I don’t think you ever don’t eliminate toriel D3. Assuming the first two days are normal elims, not spares regardless of choice (my understanding correct me if wrong) then going into the rest of the game you have a mountainous game, potentially an unwinnable one for either faction in mercy route. Not liming toriel takes the game to evens with no way of returning. Probably runnable, but the game should just be called if it starts with two scum lims.

If the spares/elims decision is retroactive, it’s townsided. You just get rid of the two hardest to read players, decide post flip based on whether they were town or scum. If it’s 1-1, you base the decision on whether Toriel is towny or scummy.
In post 145, Jingle wrote:I would have D3 be a vote for whether heal or hurt and then it always gets applied to toriel thing, btw. Gets rid of the unnecessary decision of do we vote toriel.

Also don’t think toriel is an unfun role. “You only have to care about the game for three phases” is pretty freeing tbh.
I am not a fan.

I don’t see how you don’t just elim Toriel anyway.

They are the only slot ever voted.

They can’t vote so they can’t do anything.

If Toriel was a treestump of known alignment it makes sense

But in this game Toriel is a treestump with limited votes and no additional powers and forced to elim itself d3 is just blah.

I know you said you don’t elim Toriel here but a free elim on the only person votable ans no consequences for a failed miselim I elim the slot every time.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #149 (isolation #4) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:06 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Toriel has two votes day one, a single vote day two, and no votes thereafter.

I read this as two votes the entire phase of D1 and one vote during all of D2 and no votes at any other point.

A double voter is different than having two votes.

I think it may be the literal part of my brain biting me in the butt.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #152 (isolation #5) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:12 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Ah so cool so probably best to change the wording to match that
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #157 (isolation #6) » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:41 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 153, Isis wrote:
Toriel's Patience3 Mafia
11 Town
Nights 1-3 are skipped.
One player is randomly, publicly Toriel at game start. Toriel is a doublevoter day one, has a single vote day two, and no votes thereafter. Players can't vote for Toriel, except for on day there where every post must contain a vote for Toriel. (Enforced by mod edits and a warning).
Between day two and day three, players choose Mercy or Fight. If Mercy is chosen, for there rest of the game subsequent eliminations are flavored as sparings and town wins if town spares four townies and loses if it spares two mafia.
If Fight is chosen, those effects are simply not applied.

As a special effect, if Toriel is town and the day 1 and day 2 eliminations were each mafia, Toriel becomes a 22 shot dayvig.
Typo there should be three and single vote should be regular voter
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #158 (isolation #7) » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:44 am

Post by MathBlade »

How does day one end?

If players have no elimination and no mercy flight choice day one what do town players do?
Maybe add a “end day” elim vote for town if they don’t want to spend the full timer
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #161 (isolation #8) » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:30 am

Post by MathBlade »

Scum can auto lose if two scum elimmed day one and two. Town votes for Mercy and scum can’t win.

This can be mitigated with Flipless but towns hate flipless.

Maybe spares two or all remaining mafia after the vote?
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #162 (isolation #9) » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:31 am

Post by MathBlade »

I’d go as far to say if scum is Toriel scum can’t win town picks Mercy every time and scum loses.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #163 (isolation #10) » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:44 am

Post by MathBlade »

Why am I so literal? :(

I misunderstood the mercy/fight applies to Toriel as well so not instant loss.
GTKAS -- MathBlade

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”