Mini 622 - Mind Screw Mafia - Das ist alles!

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #575 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:03 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

"All that you have wrought this day shall be brought unto ash."

The Sixty-Second Vote Count (aka the "Whack A Mole!" Vote Count):

Vote Count:

Battousai (0)
remussaidow (0)
Cavebear with a toothache (3) - Battousai, remussaidow, iamausername
iamausername (0)

Not Voting (1) - Cavebear with a toothache

Votes required to lynch: 3

FoS Count:

Battousai (0)
remussaidow (0)
Cavebear with a toothache (0)
iamausername (0)

Current Deadline:
~12:00 A.M. Central Standard Time (GMT -6), August 29, 2008.
First Mod Deadline Review:
~12:00 A.M. Central Standard Time (GMT -6), August 22, 2008.

Lynch count has been reached. Mod scene forthcoming.
User out of ambit.

Error 404: Sanity Not Found
Cavebear with a toothache
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #576 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Post by Cavebear with a toothache »

Oh. I missed that remus voted me.

Darn it.

Ah, man, and I'd planned it so good, too, before that bus drive wrecked me. :/ Well played, guys. More details later.
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #577 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:10 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

This Is... The Mod Scene

"So, you did not take much time to make your decision. You want to look into the player you call Cavebear, you say? Very well, just give my staff five minutes."

The wait for the investigation results are some of the tensest moments of your lives. All your pain, all your sorrow, all to preserve your freedom of thought. Will this be the hour of your victory, or the hour of your failure?

Your silent musings are interrupted by the appearance of one of the maids, who passes a piece of paper to your host. "How very interesting," he says, and slides the piece of paper down to you.

It reads:
Investigation Result:

Cavebear with a toothache = MAFIA
Before you can react, a blinding flash of light obscures your vision and you warp into another strange world...

Vote Count Reset
Rule 22 Removed.
Day 4 Continues.
User out of ambit.

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #578 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

"This is how the world ends."

The Sixty-Third Vote Count (aka the "GG" Vote Count):

Vote Count:

Battousai (0)
remussaidow (0)
iamausername (0)

Not Voting (4) - Battousai, remussaidow, iamausername, Cavebear with a toothache

Votes required to lynch: 3

FoS Count:

Battousai (0)
remussaidow (0)
iamausername (0)

Current Deadline:
~12:00 A.M. Central Standard Time (GMT -6), August 29, 2008.
First Mod Deadline Review:
~12:00 A.M. Central Standard Time (GMT -6), August 22, 2008.
User out of ambit.

Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #579 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Post by Battousai »

kinda obvious,
Vote: Cavebear

I knew something was up with cavebear. I always had a lingering suspicion because it seemed like he lurked and in the beginning only seemed to talk about the flavor Tar put in his vote count.
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #580 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:05 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

End of Game Scene

Cavebear, the last scum, turns around with a sigh.

"But I just wanted to have a world where I could function! Won't you show some mercy for me?"

Your response? "Nope."

I gave Cavebear the option to end the game now with a town win instead of wait for the inevitable lynch, and he accepted. - Tar

Cavebear with a toothache, The Giant With the Drinks (from Ender's Game), Mafia Jailkeeper, Turned Himself In Day 4

Tarhalindur, the Omniscient, ModGod, Acknowledged His Presence (or Lack Thereof) Day 4

iamausername, Quantum Mechanics (from Real Life), Townie Entangler, Survived
remussaidow, Rei Ayanami (from Neon Genesis Evangelion), Replaceable Townie, Survived
Battousai, Alice (from Alice in Wonderland), French Vanilla Townie, Survived

Iamausername, Grimmy, Macavenger, remussaidow, Nocmen, Battousai, Jex
and
Yosarian2
have won Mind Screw Mafia!

Roles and mod comments coming soon!
User out of ambit.

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #581 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

The Mod Notes (Roles, Rules, Etc.)

The Rules (inspired by normal rulesets but written entirely by me):

<0> Game-specific rule: The first rule is that I cannot tell you any of the other rules.
The rest of the rules (invisible so long as the Godfather ability is active):
<0> I am the Mod thy God. If a dispute arises, my decision is final. That said, I am not infallible - if I make a mistake or you have a question, please inform me of the problem (preferably via PM or bold text) and I will correct it.
<1> This is a game. I hope that you have fun. In return, I ask that you not have your fun at the expense of the other players in this game (in other words, don't be a jackass). Repeated or extreme violations of this rule will result in replacement or modkill.
<1a> Attempting to use loopholes in the rules to gain an advantage in the game is considered jackassery, and will be treated as such. This applies to things like encrypted codes, invisible text, editing and deleting posts, etc. Please, use your common sense!
<2> If there is a conflict between a role and the rules, the role wins.
<3> Claiming that another player is your scumbuddy will result in a modkill.
<4> Quoting private communications (role PM, mason conversations, etc.) or pretending to do the same will result in a modkill. Paraphrasing, however, is not only acceptable but encouraged unless I explicitly say otherwise.
<5> You may not talk with other people about this game outside of the thread (but see Rule 2).
<6> This game will have both a vote count and a FoS (Finger of Suspicion) count. All players will have 1 vote and an unlimited number of FoS'es (but see Rule 2)
<6a> In a Normal game, the FoS count will have no effect on the game other than breaking voting ties at deadline. Theme games make no such guarantee.
<7> To help the game run smoothly, votes and FoS'es should be made in bold text, and use the format
Vote: XXXX
and
FoS: XXXX
, respectively. An unvote and/or unFoS is required to remove a vote or FoS; to unvote or unFoS, please use the format
Unvote: XXXX
or
UnFoS: XXXX
<8> If a player has a majority of votes, that player is lynched and cannot be unvoted. You may talk during twilight unless I state otherwise.
<9> Each game day will begin with a negotiable deadline of 2 weeks in place. At the end of each week, if I find the activity level in the game acceptable and the week does not end with the deadline, then I will extend the deadline by one week, to a maximum of twice the original deadline (a maximum of 4 weeks); the maximum deadlines are not retractable.
<10> At deadline, the player with the most votes is lynched. In the case of a tie, the player with the most FoS'es will be lynched.
<11> You may elect to No Lynch any number of times during the course of the game. In order to No Lynch, a majority of living players must be vote no lynch. (To vote No Lynch, please use the format
Vote: No Lynch
. FoS'es for No Lynch will not be counted.)
<12> Don't drink and post, lest ye receive Public Humilitation.
<13> Each game night will last approximately 4 real-life days (~96 hours) unless stated otherwise.
<14> When you die, stop posting. You may make a single "Bah!"/"Frak you!"/etc. post in the thread. You may not include game content in this post. In addition, once you are dead, please do not discuss the game with anyone other than the Mod until the game is over, as this makes the mod's life easier.
<15> Please try to post at least once every 96 hours, or inform me if this is not possible. If you are prodded, then you will need to post something (a simple "/prodded" will suffice if you're short on time) within 96 hours or you may be replaced.
<15a> If you have limited access, then please post to this effect, either in V/LA or in the thread. If I prod you despite you declaring V/LA status, call me on it and I will be duly embarrassed.
<16> Players may only use one special ability per day/night cycle (but see rule 2)
<17> This game will start on Day 1 after all players have confirmed (by PM).
<18> Okay, that's enough formal-sounding stuff. Good luck, have fun!
<19> Game-specific rule: Whenever a player breaks a rule that is not punishable by modkill, they will be informed that they have committed a rule infraction and told the post number where they broke a rule. For every 5 rules infractions incurred, the guilty player will require 1 fewer vote to lynch. (If the rule broken was a temporary rule, then its associated rules infractions will be removed when the rule is removed.)
<20> Game-specific rule: If a player would vote for another player, that player will instead vote for the player directly below the intended votee in the player list.
<21> Game-specific rule: If a player would use a night action on a player, instead that player will target the player below their intended target on the player list.

ROLES:

When you looked up, the world you knew was gone. You were left here, in this nightmare, this world of uncertainty and confusion. You saw things that could never have been before, strange constructions of reality that seemed more like fiction. It would drive any sane man mad.

But you are not sane. Even in the old world, you thrived by domination, by forcing your rules upon others without ever explaining the rules in question. If you could convince others to follow your rules in reality, who could possibly stop you from remaking this place to your specifications?

Welcome to Mind Screw Mafia,
PLAYERNAME 1
. You are
Chairman Mao (from the card game Mao)
. You love forcing other players to follow your rules (especially if they don't know what the rules are), and want to force others to follow your rules here as well. You have found another lost soul -
The Giant with the Drink (from Ender's Game)
, played by
PLAYERNAME 2
- who is willing to help you with your quest to impose your rules on others.

You are the
Mafia Godfather
. Each night, you may consult with
PLAYERNAME 2
, the Mafia Jailkeeper, and decide whether to kill a player at night (and, if so, who). As the Godfather, you have the final say on whether to make a kill and the responsibility to send me the kill. Since you like to take a hands-on approach to killing, you will perform the Mafia kill as long as you are alive (or unless I tell you otherwise).

In addition to your abilities as a member of the Mafia, you have the following special abilities:

Godfather Safe Claim
- If a player attempts to ascertain your identity, they will be told that you are
Lain Iwakura (from Serial Experiments Lain)
. The real Lain is not in the game and is a safe claim for you.
Mafia Falseclaim
- At any time, you may send me an ability (or set of abilities) and a role name. If you do, I will make a fake role PM for you using the given name and abilities.
Chairman Mao Ability
- As long as you are in the game, the following rule will be in effect: "The first rule is that I cannot tell you any of the other rules." All other rules (if any) will be hidden, even to you.
An Offer I Can't Refuse
- Once during the game, at any time, you may choose to write a message in place of the Mod. Send me a PM with your message (and, if you wish, a date) if you wish to use this ability, and I will post your message in the thread in my name at that time; if you do not specify a time to post your message, then I will post the message at the earliest opportunity. The only restrictions on this ability are 1) you cannot use this post to make a personal insult, 2) this message will have no lasting effect on the game state, and 3) you must begin your message with the words "Point of order!" and end your message with the words "End point of order" (I will add these words in myself if you fail to add them in properly).

You win when all other factions are dead, or nothing can prevent the same.

Please confirm via return PM.
Mod Notes:
- Comes up "Lain (from Serial Experiments Lain)" to Tarhalindur investigation
- Has Godfather investigative immunity (only relevant if Haruhi's Whack A Mole is activated)
That's odd. You've been in this room at the end of a long set of challenges for some time, showing others the meaning of futility. But things haven't been going according to plan lately. First, some kid, when faced with the impossible choice you offered him, managed to kill you instead (you got better). Now you're trapped in this weird reality, something completely unlike anything you've ever known. The clouds are square - no, they're spherical now - and the borders on the map keep shifting. It's so strange it can't be real... or can it?

Doesn't matter. You're a logical thinker who's been doing the same thing, over and over, for as long as you've existed. You can't handle this reality. You need order and rules in order to function.

And you've teamed up with someone who can provide them.

PLAYERNAME 2
. You are
The Giant With the Drinks (from Ender's Game)
. As a computer program who needs rules to function, you can't really deal with the shifting Mind Screw reality you're in. In order to satisfy your need for rules, you've decided to help another lost soul -
Chairman Mao (from the card game Mao)
, played by
PLAYERNAME 1
- by lending whatever support you can to his cause. And you're really good at keeping people occupied and out of the way...

You are the
Mafia Jailkeeper
. Each night, you may consult with the Mafia Godfather,
PLAYERNAME 1
, and decide whether or not to kill (and, if so, who). As long as your Godfather is alive, he will send in and commit the kill himself (he takes a personal approach to killing); should he die, you will gain the ability to kill.

In addition to your abilities as a member of the Mafia, you have the following abilities:

Jailkeeper Safe Claim
- You know that
Ender Wiggin (from Ender's Game)
Ford Prefect (from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
Kyon (from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
and
Asuka Langley Soryuu (from Neon Genesis Evangelion)
are not in the game and are therefore safe claims for you. You also know that you are the only Jailkeeper in the game.
Mafia Falseclaim
- At any time, you may send me an ability (or set of abilities) and a role name. If you do, I will make a fake role PM for you using the given name and abilities.
Detain
- Each night, you may force a player to participate in your drinking game. Unfortunately, your drinks don't seem to be able to actually kill a player in this reality, but you will ensure that any action involving that player fails (they will be roleblocked, and all kills targeting them will fail).
(You may, if necessary, kill and roleblock during the same night. You may also target yourself or your partners with this ability, but note that roleblocks have priority over kills.)

You win win your faction is the last faction standing, or nothing can prevent the same.

Mod Notes:
- Comes up "The Giant With the Drink" (from Ender's Game) to Tarhalindur investigation.
You finally did it. After so many years, you managed to free yourself from that weird penal colony. You are a free man.

Then again, if you'd known that this was what freedom was like, you might have chosen not to escape in the first place. You remember a world of order and freedom... there may be freedom here, but there's not order. During one moment, the waves are crashing against the shore - the next moment, the shore is crashing against the waves. The only thing that seems to be constant is that speaker that keeps blasting out "All Along the Watchtower". Why? Good question.

Eh, it's not worth worrying about at the moment. You may not understand what's going on here, but at least you're free. That's got to count for something.

PLAYERNAME
. You are
Number 6 (from The Prisoner)
. You spent the last few years in some strange penal colony, and now that you're free you're not going to give up that freedom easily. Even this mindscrew of a reality is better than where you were.

You are a
1-Shot Pro-Town Reviver
. You have the following special ability:

Cheat Death
- the first time you would be killed (by any means), all of the events leading up to your death will be revealed as an elaborate ruse on the part of the other Prisoners and you will escape with your life.

Mod Notes:
- Actually Number 6 (from Battlestar Galactica), Townie Sleeper Agent (the more common name for the role is Judas). When killed, resurrects (via Cheat Death) as Mafia Goon.
- Hidden Ability -
Dead Man' Switch
: If both Mafia are dead at or before the beginning of Day 2, Sleeper Agent will be secretly modkilled and resurrected as a 1-Shot Mafia Reviver. If both Mafia are dead and the last Mafioso died between the beginning of Day 2 and the beginning of Day 3, Sleeper Agent will be secretly modkilled and resurrected as a Mafia Goon.
- Comes up "Number 6 (from Battlestar Galactica)" to Tarhalindur investigation.
- If activated normally, will recieve the following PM:
I thought I was dead.

No, I was dead. I felt the bullet go through my brain. There's no way I could have survived.

Then why am I here? And where am I, anyways? Why am I in this strange tank? Who are those people standing over me? Are they talking to me?

"Welcome back, Number 6. We have been waiting for you..."

Your death has awakened you, revealed to you that everything you have ever known, save your name, was a lie. You are Number 6, but you aren't from The Prisoner. You are a
Number 6 (from Battlestar Galactica)
, and your Cylon brethren have ordered you to remake the world in God's name. They've also teamed you up with some people who will help you.

You are now a
Mafia Goon
PLAYERNAME 1
, and the Mafia Jailkeeper,
PLAYERNAME 2
, and decide whether or not to kill (and, if so, who). As long as your Godfather is alive, he will send in and commit the kill himself (he takes a personal approach to killing); should he die, the responsibility of performing the Mafia kill will fall to you.

Other than your abilities as a member of the Mafia, you have the following special ability:

Mafia Falseclaim

- If activated as a Mafia 1-Shot Reviver (due to Class Trip or the Dead Man's Dwitch trigger), will receive the following role PM:
I thought I was dead.

No, I was dead. I felt the bullet go through my brain. There's no way I could have survived.

Then why am I here? And where am I, anyways? Why am I in this strange tank? Who are those people standing over me? Are they talking to me?

"Welcome back, Number 6. We have been waiting for you..."

Your death has awakened you, revealed to you that everything you have ever known, save your name, was a lie. You are Number 6, but you aren't from The Prisoner. You are a
, and your Cylon brethren have ordered you to remake the world in God's name. They've also teamed you up with some people who will help you.

You are now a
Mafia 1-Shot Reviver
PLAYERNAME 1
, and the Mafia Jailkeeper,
PLAYERNAME 2
, and decide whether or not to kill (and, if so, who). As long as your Godfather is alive, he will send in and commit the kill himself (he takes a personal approach to killing); should he die, the responsibility of performing the Mafia kill will fall to you.

Other than your abilities as a member of the Mafia, you have the following special abilities:

Cheat Death
- the first time you would be killed (by any means), all of the events leading up to your death will be revealed as an elaborate ruse on the part of the other Prisoners and you will escape with your life.
Mafia Falseclaim

Even after your ascension, even after an eternity of floating between the stars, it seems that there are new experiences out there.

Take this reality, for instance. It's like nothing you've ever seen in the "real world". It's a place where the stars are made of fire, where "black holes" are really jumbles of string and the entire world is a hologram. There's also this little group of people around you, all arguing about their observations of this plane.

Eh, come to think of it, it's not really that dissimilar from the real world after all. Oh well. You have the power to enlighten yourself, to free yourself from this world... you'll just have to survive long enough to use it. And you might as well amuse yourself with the antics of the lesser beings in the meantime.

PLAYERNAME
. You are
The Star Child (from 2001: A Space Odyssey)
. You're a nigh-omnipotent being who got hauled into this reality somehow and just want to get out. You've got the power to do so, too... but you'll have to wait a bit to do so.

You are a
Neutral Osmodiar
. You want to survive long enough to get out of here, but you're going to have a bit of fun while you wait.

You have the following special abilities:

Reality Vortex
- As long as you are alive, the following two rules are in effect: "If a player would vote for another player, that player will instead vote for the player directly below the intended votee in the player list.", and "If a player would use a night action on a player, instead that player will target the player below their intended target on the player list."
(If the player list is A, B, C, D, then when player A attempts to vote for Player C he will vote Player D instead, and if he attempts to target Player C with a night ability then he will target Player D instead. If the last player on the player list is targeted by a vote or ability, that vote or ability will instead target the first player on the player list. Players will be informed if their night action is redirected but will not be informed of who they actually targeted.)

Ozmodiar Safeclaim
- You know that
The Prince (from Katamari Damacy)
and
Raiden (from Metal Gear Solid 2)
are not in the game and are safe claims for you if needed.
Ozmodiar Falseclaim

You win if you survive until the end of Day 3, or nothing can prevent the same. If you succeed in fulfilling your win condition, then you will immediately remove yourself from the game. Note that other factions cannot fulfill their win condition until you are either dead or have fulfilled your win condition.

Mod Notes:
- Comes up "The Star Child (from 2001: A Space Odyssey)" to Tarhalindur investigation.
- Reality Vortex is a continuous ability that modifies votes and targeted abilities. It does not use the ability stack.
Whiskey, tango, foxtrot, over? You're supposed to be running the game, not IN the game.

But apparently that's exactly what's happened. You woke up this morning and found a strange new reality around you. After a moment of confusion, you realized that it's exactly like the reality that you were describing in your Mind Screw Mafia role PM's. Then, the actual Mind Screw Mafia game started. No fourth wall, indeed.

Na ja. Whatever. You hadn't finalized the roles, so you don't know who exactly is in the game with you, but you're familiar with all the series that might be in the game. With a little work, you can figure things out...

PLAYERNAME
. You are
Tarhalindur (from Real Life)
. By all rights, you should be modding this game, not playing it, but apparently that's not an option. Regardless, you love playing the investigative roles (it helps that you've been a cop a lot), so you've decided to use your memories of your own setup to help the town.

You are a
Townie Cop
. You have the following special abilities:

Investigate
- Each night, you may investigate a target player (other than yourself, but it's not like you'd need to). You will learn that player's role name and point of origin (where the role name was drawn from; for example, you originate from "Real Life").

Mod Notes:
- Cannot investigate self (if he would investigate himself due to Reality Vortex, he will get "No Result"). If roleblocked, will also receive "No Result".

Even the gods can be humbled.

You've been running the show in your world from behind the scenes for years. That's the genius of the Wired - you can make connections, make advances that you never could in the real world. Hell, once the Wired reached a critical stage, you wouldn't even need your body anymore - you could just fade away in the "real world" while living forever in the new world... a world where they would call you God.

But even the power of God couldn't stop you from getting hauled into this Godforsaken place. You don't recognize a thing that's going on here... no, you *can't* recognize a thing that's going on here. That's probably the point.

Pity you can't find Lain. She might help you out. Besides, even if she didn't, she would probably fare better here than you would.

Does not the true success of a God lie in the success of his creations?

PLAYERNAME
. You are
Eiri, God of the Wired (from Serial Experiments Lain)
. Just as you were nearing the final stage of your plans back in your world, you got hauled here. Now you're going to have to adapt to the new reality, just like everyone else.

You are a
Townie with a God Complex
. As far as you can tell, you have no special abilities.

Mod Notes:
- Actually "Eiri, God of the Wired (from Serial Experiments Lain), Townie SuperSaint". Does exactly what it says on the tin.
- Comes up "Eiri, God of the Wired (from Serial Experiments Lain)" to Tarhalindur investigation.
- Miller (only relevant if Haruhi's Whack A Mole is activated)
Are you here or there? Do I know your momentum or your position? Are you dead or alive? And how is a set of laws about the universe playing in a game of Mafia anyways?

Good questions. You don't know the answers. Hell, I don't know the answers (well, except for the last question - you're a role in a Mafia game because the Mod thinks you're cool).

Does it really matter? You're here, and the town wants your help. As long as they want you to help out, that's what you'll do.

PLAYERNAME
. You are
Quantum Mechanics (from Real Life)
. As
one of
THE most conceptually confusing theory known to modern science, you've earned yourself a spot in the town of Mind Screw Mafia.

You are a
Townie Entangler
. You have the following special abilities
(note that you may only use one of these abilities per night)
:

Superposition
- Each night, if you do not use Observe, you may use quantum entanglement to cause two target players to switch positions. Any night action that targets the first player will now target the second, and vice versa.
Observe
- Each night, if you elect not to use Superposition, you may observe patterns to discover any random two of the possible rules in the setup (you will not discover the same rule twice).

- Comes up "Quantum Mechanics" to Tarhalindur investigation
- Cannot discover a rule that says "this rule is always hidden" (applicable rules are those created by School Festival and Class Trip)

Flavor note: I know damn well that the flavor behind this role is complete technobabble.
That's interesting. This must be the afterlife.

After all that you've been through, you were expecting something more than this. You sacrifice your happiness, the woman you love, and even your own life in order to save humanity, and THIS is the thanks you get after death?! Destiny shouldn't be like that.

Hmm. Looks like there are other people here, and some of them want to force everyone else to act as they do. Just like Agent Smith did before you died.

You're not going to stand for this. You're going to rally your comrades, kill off the oppressors using logic and awesome bullet-time kung fu, and then you're going to find a way to get everyone out of this dump (or at least to shape this dump to your liking).

After all, this isn't the first time you've decided to screw destiny.

PLAYERNAME
. You are
Neo (from The Matrix trilogy)
. Instead of a peaceful afterlife, you've wound up in this mind-fuck reality along with a few other good souls and a couple of men in black, and you're pissed. You're going to kill off the anti-town bastards and find a way to make things better, destiny be damned.

You are a
Townie Vig-of-all-Trades
. You have two one-shot abilities. During each odd-numbered day/night cycle, you may use exactly
one
of your special abilities on another player.

Your one-shots are as follows:
Pwn
- Once during the game, on an odd-numbered day, you may daykill another target player
(you may either post
Pwn: PLAYERNAME
in the thread or you may PM me with your target)
Nuke
- Once during the game, on an odd-numbered night, you may kill another target player.

(A day/night cycle consists of a day and a night with the same number; i.e, Day 1 and Night 1 comprise the first day/night cycle. If you do not use an ability during the first day/night cycle, you must wait until Day 3 to use an ability.)

Mod Notes:
- Comes up "Neo (from The Matrix trilogy)" to Tarhalindur investigation
<"If I die, I can be replaced."

Little do the others realize just how true that is.

This is a strange world, isn't it? Nothing like the old reality. Oh well, you'd better get used to it.

After all, it's not like you're going to have the option to leave anytime soon.>

PLAYERNAME
. You are
Rei Ayanami (from Neon Genesis Evangelion)
. You're used to blindly following others, even risking your own life to do so. Upon finding yourself here. it didn't take long for you to join up with the group trying to make a life here - it's just more of the same to you.

You are a
Replaceable Townie

Reiquarium
- If you would die, instead you will be replaced. Literally. (In other words, if you would die at night, you will be forcibly replaced instead.)

Mod Notes:
- Comes up "Rei Ayanami (from Neon Genesis Evangelion)" to Tarhalindur investigation.
- Comes up "No Result" to alignment investigations (only relevant if Haruhi's Whack A Mole is activated).
<This. Is. Cool.

For the last three years, you've been bored with the world, bored with the dullness of humanity. Now you find yourself in a world beyond your wildest imagination, a world where anything is possible.

You love it. This is where you belong. In fact, you're getting so excited that you're going to bring everyone else here with you to search for all the strange and inexplicable things. After all, in a place like this, there's got to be aliens, time travelers, and espers, right?

Only problem is, you haven't been able to find Kyon yet. If there's anyone who needs to see this, it's him.>

PLAYERNAME
. You are
Haruhi Suzumiya (from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya")
. For three years you've been searching for the inexplicable, the strange, the weird... something that isn't boring like the normal world. Now you've found it, and you've got lots of people to share the fun with!

You are a
Townie Dreaming God

Dreams of Reality
- Each night, you MUST choose to use any one of the following ten 1-shot abilities (if possible). You're not entirely sure what the abilities will do, but it's sure to be fun, so why not?

Your abilities are as follows: Whack A Mole, Hickory Dickory Dock, International Talk Like a Pirate Day, Political Campaign, Ghost Story, SOS-dan Recruitment Day, School Festival, Class Trip, Student Council Election, Count of Monte Cristo

Mod Notes:
- Abilities function as temporary additions to the rules (and therefore interact with the Chairman Mao ability) and have the following effects:
<Whack> = "The next time a player would be lynched, instead the lynchee's alignment will be revealed via official mod message (functions as a Sane Cop investigation) and the vote count will be reset."
<Hickory> = "The next game day will have a nonretractable deadline of one real-life week."
<International> = "During the next game day, all players and the mod must post like a pirate. Failure to do so is a Rule Infraction."
<Political> = "During the next game day, no player may post a message of fewer than fifty words. Failure to do so is a Rule Infraction."
<Ghost> = "Until the end of the next game day, players cannot unvote. Repeat violations of this rule are Rule Infractions."
<SOS> = "All players may daytalk with all other players for the entirety of the next game day. All players will be informed of this."
<School> = "The next time a pro-town player would be lynched, instead the vote count will be reset. This rule is always hidden."
<Class> = "The next time a mafia-aligned player would be lynched, instead No Lynch will occur. If the lynch of the Townie Sleeper Agent (Number Six) is prevented this way, it will become a 1-Shot Mafia Reviver (this will not happen, however, if a Mafia Goon is lynched). This rule is always hidden."
<Student> = "During the next game day, instead of lynching a player, players cast votes to elect a Student Council President (King) who will then decide which player should be lynched."
<Count> = "For the remainder of the game, the number of surviving town, neutral, and scum players will be public knowledge." NOTE - If Sleeper Agent is town when this ability is activated, then Sleeper Agent will always show up as town on this list.

- Comes up "Haruhi Suzumiya (from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)" to Tarhalindur investigation
"You must be mad, or you wouldn't have come here!"

That's what the cat said, anyways. And you're beginning to think he might be right.

Seriously, first you fall down a rabbit hole into Wonderland, then you jump through a looking-glass into a giant chess game, and now you get plucked out of your world into what appears to be a parlor game being played in some kind of postmodernist painting. These aren't the kinds of fantasies that a good English girl should be having.

Oh well. You may not be sane, but for the sake of your insanity you've got to pretend you're sane. That's all you have left, now. Well, that and the little piece of paper with useful information.

Then again, considering that the cat gave that sheet to you, it might not be as reliable as you would like...

PLAYERNAME
. You are
Alice (from Alice in Wonderland)
. Since this is your third time getting hauled into an unfamilar world, you're not too concerned about the weirdness of your surroundings. In fact, you might not mind staying here. The lack of rules is fun, and the company's good...

You are a
French Vanilla Townie

Cheshire Cat's Note
- You have been given the following piece of information about the setup:
1) The Mod is a player in the game.

Mod Notes:
- Comes up "Alice (from Alice in Wonderland") to Tarhalindur investigation.
- The given information refers to the rolecop (Tarhalindur, the user who will start as the ModGod) rather than the ModGod himself (who has no game role).
<Just when you think that life can't get any worse, it does.

It wasn't enough to give you a dead mother and a sociopathic father (plus a bunch of teammates who are nearly as screwed up as you are, if not more so). It wasn't enough to have to fight beings they call Angels in something resembling but entirely different from a giant robot. It wasn't enough to see everything you cared for get ruined in a horrific manner. Now you're having to live through this?

"Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations! For all the children, congratulations!"

Screw these games, screw all these wheels-within-wheels conspiracies, screw all this freaky mind stuff. You don't care who you are or what role you're supposed to play. You just want to get out of the game.>

Welcome to Tarhalindur Mostly Mountainous,
PLAYERNAME
. You are
Shinji Ikari (from Neon Genesis Evangelion)
. Congratulations!

Mod Notes:
- Proper role name is "Shinji Ikari (from Neon Genesis Evangelion), Amnesiac Vanilla Townie" (no, Shinji doesn't have any abilities at all. I'm cruel like that)

- Comes up "No Result" to Tarhalindur investigation.
- Alignment investigations on Shinji will function normally.
- Yes, I am a bastard Mod. Why do you ask?

Notes for Backup Mod:

Ability Stack:
Abilities in Tarhalindur games resolve using a Magic the Gathering-style ability stack (last in, first out). Like the Magic the Gathering stack, an ability will resolve even after its source is dead unless the ability states otherwise. Abilities are added to the stack in this order:

Special Night Actions
- Night-only activated abilities that are not covered in another category go here (Cult recruiting, Resurrection abilities, etc.). NOTE: Haruhi's Dreams of Reality goes in this category.
Investigations
- Activated investigative abilities go here (trackers, watchers, Cops, role cops, role name cops, gunsmiths, etc.). NOTE: Tarhalindur's Investigate and Quantum Mechanics' Observe go in this category.
Kills
- Nightkilling roles go in this category (vigs, Mafia kills, SK kills, etc). NOTE: Neo's Nuke ability goes in this category (but NOT Pwn, which is a) not usable at night and b) a day-active ability)
Protections
- Activated protective roles without special effects go in this category (Doctors of all stripes, hiders, activated bulletproof, etc. - but NOT bulletproof, bus drivers, or jailkeepers). No roles in this game go in this category
Redirectors
- Activated redirecting roles go here (redirectors, bus drivers - but NOT passive redirectors, which are replacement effects). NOTE: Quantum Mechanic's Superposition goes here.
Roleblockers
- Activated roleblocking roles go here (Jailkeeper [which also activates its kill shield in this layer], Roleblocker, etc.). NOTE: The Giant With the Drink's Detain goes here.
Day-Active Abilities
- Abilities that can be used at day or night go here. This category has the following subsections:
:
Day-Active Specials
- Special day actions that can also be used at night go here (cult recruits, etc.). NOTE: Chairman Mao's An Offer I Can't Refuse goes here.
:
Day-Active Investigations
- Investigations that can be used at day or night go here. No such roles exist in this game.
:
Day-Active Kills
- Kills that can be used at day or night go here. No such roles exist in this game (but Neo's Pwn WOULD go here if it could be used at night).
:
Day-Active Protections
- Protections that can be used at day or night go here. No such roles exist in this game.
:
Day-Active Redirections
- Redirections that can be used at day or night go here. No such roles exist in this game.
:
Day-Active Roleblocks
- Activated roleblocks that can be used at day or night go here. No such roles exist in this game.
Global Redirects
- Activated global redirects go here. No such roles exist in this game (Reality Vortex is a continuous effect).
Global Roleblocks
- Activated global roleblocks go here. No such roles exist in the game.

Continuous Effects
- Continuous effects do not use the stack per se. Instead, they effect how abilities on the stack resolve. NOTE: Ozmodiar's Reality Vortex goes here (or, more accurately, the rule change it creates goes here), as does Rei's Reiquarium. Bulletproof Townie would also fit in this category if that role were in the game.

Remember, stack categories resolve in Last In, First Out order: Global Roleblocks resolve first, then Global Redirects, Day-Active Abilities (Day-Active Roleblocks, Day-Active Redirects, Day-Active Protections, Day-Active Kills, Day-Active Investigations, Day-Active Special Abilities), Roleblocks, Redirects, Protections, Kills, Investigations, Special Night Actions in that order.

Note on how to post Vote Counts/End of Day/Beginning of Day:

As long as the Mafia Godfather is alive, all Vote counts, Mod scenes, and End of Day posts should begin with the words "Point of order!", and all Vote Counts, Mod scenes, and Beginning of Day posts should end with the words "End point of order.".

What to do if the Mod is lynched:

If the Mod is lynched, instead reset the vote count and post the following message. If the Mod is targeted, PM the following message to the player who targeted the Mod and give them a chance to change the target of their ability.

The message to be sent:

I am the Mod thy God.

I am not a player in this game.

Therefore, I cannot be lynched, I cannot be targeted, and I have no win condition.

My only ability in this game is this one.

Rolelist:

Star Child (Neutral Ozmodiar)
Chairman Mao (Mafia Godfather)
Eiri, God of the Wired (Townie Super Saint)
Quantum Mechanics (Townie Entangler)
Rei Ayanami (Replacable Townie)
Neo (Townie Vig-of-All-Trades)
Haruhi Suzumiya (Townie Dreaming God)
The Giant with the Drink (Mafia Jailkeeper)
Shinji Ikari (Amnesiac Vanilla Townie)
Tarhalindur (Townie Cop)
Number Six (Townie Sleeper Agent)
Alice (French Vanilla Townie)
User out of ambit.

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #582 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Actions:

D1/N1:

Mafia sends Jenter Brolincani to kill Yosarian2 (redirected to Jenter Brolincani)
Jenter Brolincani chooses not to use An Offer I Can't Refuse
Cavebear with a toothache Detains Macavenger (redirected to Nocmen)
Korts is dead.
iamausername uses Observe
Macavenger uses Nuke on Yosarian2 (redirected to Jenter Brolincani)
Nocmen uses Hickory Dickory Dock (roleblocked, Nocmen retains his shot)
Jex targets Macavenger with a nonexistent ability

Mafia and Yosarian2 choose not to use Falseclaim

D2/N2:

Mafia sends MafiaSSK to kill remussaidow (redirected to Macavenger)
Jenter Brolincani is dead
Cavebear with a toothache Detains Yosarian2 (redirected to Grimmy)
Korts is dead
Iamausername uses Superposition targeting Grimmy and MafiaSSK (redirected to iamausername and Battousai, respectively)
Macavenger has no night choice tonight
Nocmen uses School Festival
Jex targets Cavebear with a toothache with a nonexistant ability

MafiaSSK uses Mafia Falseclaim (Numbah 6 (from Codename: Kids Next Door), Neutral Lyncher). Cavebear with a toothache and Yosarian2 do not use their falseclaim abilities. Jenter Brolincani is dead.

D3/N3

Mafia sends Cavebear with a toothache to kill Battousai
Jenter Brolincani is dead
Cavebear with a toothache Detains remussaidow
Korts is dead
iamausername uses Superposition targeting Battousai and Nocmen
Macavenger is dead
Nocmen uses Whack A Mole
Jex is dead (and has no ability to boot)

Cavebear with a toothache uses Mafia Falseclaim (Kyon (from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Townie Jailkeeper). All other falseclaim abilities have left the game.

D4:
Cavebear with a toothache uses Mafia Falseclaim (Ender (from Ender's Game), Townie Jailkeeper)
Whack A Mole investigation-lynch used on Cavebear with a toothache
Cavebear with a toothache accepts my offer to end the game immediately rather than wait for the inevitable.

Observe:

Original Roll String: 1d29 (STATIC)
1 29-Sided Dice: (14) = 14

Original Roll String: 1d28 (STATIC)
1 28-Sided Dice: (28) = 28

N1:

<14> When you die, stop posting. You may make a single "Bah!"/"Frak you!"/etc. post in the thread. You may not include game content in this post. In addition, once you are dead, please do not discuss the game with anyone other than the Mod until the game is over, as this makes the mod's life easier.
<29> Until further notice, a count of the number of town, neutral, and scum (members of an anti-town faction) players in this game will be provided in each vote count. This count is guaranteed to be accurate.

Mafia Falseclaim (N2): MafiaSSK (Numbuh 6, Neutral Lyncher)
In a place as incomprehensible as this mindfrak of a reality, even the most inconsequential of characters holds immense importance.

You would know - you're living proof. From what you've heard from others with knowledge of your timeline, you never even appeared in the "fictional" chronicles of the events of your world. The super secret mission might have had something to do with it.

Here, however, you actually have a starring role to play. Hmm. Maybe the secret mission has something to do with it.

Hey, is that a Fruity-Oaty Bars commercial?

MafiaSSK
. You are
Numbuh 6 (from Codename: Kids Next Door
. Your super secret mission got you, a minor character in your own world, into the center of events in this place - you're not going to abandon it now.

You are a
Neutral Lyncher
. You have the following special abilities:

Lyncher Safeclaim
- You know that
and
Number Six (from The Prisoner)
are not in the games and are safe claims for you.
Lyncher Falseclaim

You win when
PLAYERNAME 2
is lynched, or nothing can prevent the same. If you fulfill your win condition or if you can no longer fulfill your win condition, you will remove yourself from the game. Note that other factions cannot fulfill their win condition until you are either dead or have fulfilled your win condition.
(You win Lyncher/Lynchee endgames.)

Note: the modern wording of the last sentence would be "Factions with the win condition "You win when all other factions are dead, or nothing can prevent the same" cannot win so long as you are in the game."

Mafia Falseclaim (N3): Cavebear with a toothache (Kyon, Townie Jailkeeper)
This morning, I woke up to find that Shamisen was not laying on my bed. This is, of course, a problem, because Shamisen always lays on my bed at night. If Shamisen is not on my bed, then that means that something is wrong with him, so I roused myself out of my bed (wasn't something wrong with the bed, too) to go look for him.

That was when I found out that the room I was in was not my room. The architecture of the room was wrong, not to mention the lack of manga and novels, the bunk bed, the lack of Shamisen, and the lack of my little sister.

Upon leaving my room, I noticed even more oddities. The town I was in had only twelve people in it, including myself, despite having room for several thouand. Worse, the adorable Mikuru, emotionless Yuki, and jokester Koizumi were nowhere to be found. Oh yeah, and the sky was the oddest color of pink.

The most curious absence, however, was that of Haruhi. That eccentric girl was nowhere to be found. This was odd for two reasons. First, since Haruhi is such a fan of strangeness, she would be incredibly happy in this strange world. And second... well, considering what I know so far, Haruhi must be responsible for what has happened here.

. You are
Kyon (from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
. You've found yourself in somebody's mindfrak of a reality (and by somebody you mean Haruhi... right?) and have decided to help the people you've found defend themselves from a faction that seeks to dominate this world.

You are a
Townie Jailkeeper

Detain
- Each night, you may visit another player and talk with them all night. Your target will too busy talking to you to make any night actions, and any player attempting to kill your target will fail (people don't want to incur the wrath of the supernatural forces that seem to follow you around).
(In other words, your target will be roleblocked and any attempts made on their life will fail.)

D4/N4

Day 4: Cavebear uses Mafia Falseclaim (Ender Wiggin, Townie Jailkeeper)
So many years, and still it haunts you. The two children killed by your hand. The entire race slaughtered by your command. You've devoted your life to atoning for these mistakes.

Well, maybe this strange world is the chance for atonement. The people here are threatened by a faction that seeks to dominate their minds, their memes, and you're not going to stand aside and let that happen. You won't kill - you've learned enough to know how not to kill your enemy while defeating him - but you will use everything you've got to bring this menace down.

. You are
Ender Wiggin (from Ender's Game)
. You've been haunted for years by the people (human and otherwise) that you killed during the Bugger Wars, and you've decided that you can help atone for what you've done by helping the other inhabitants of this strange world.

You are a
Townie Jailkeeper

Warden
- Each night, you may beat up a player, sending him or her to the hospital. That player will be roleblocked, and any kill that targets the player you target will have no effect.
Cocoon
- You have in your possession the cocoon of a Bugger queen. Once during the game, at any time, you may try to use this cocoon.
(No, I won't tell you what it does.)

Mod Notes: Cocoon has no game effect.
User out of ambit.

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #583 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:17 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Mod Comments:

This setup was, as I suspected it might be, amazingly swingy (a good deal of the power was concentrated in three roles). As a result of this, a LOT of the setup's potential was lost due to the D1 modkill and N1 Mafia kill: two of my favorite roles from a design standpoint were gone and several others (especially the Dreaming God, the Entangler, and the Ozmodiar) lost a lot of their potential.

The town won due to a combination of good play, a setup which probably leaned town (I failed to notice the synergy between the Entangler and the Replaceable Townie, as did my reviewers, and now that I've seen it in action I'm pretty sure that the Neutral Ozmodiar is more likely to help town than scum when I had originally thought it would be a deteriment to both), and the swingy roles swinging to helping the town.

I was fairly sure that the Mafia was boned after N1 (the Godfather was designed to be fairly powerful, and they unintentionally blocked a beneficial ability), but the scum still had a chance until Nocmen sent in Whack a Mole on N3.

Design Notes:

In order to provide a measure of consistency, all characters in this game came from series which were listed as Mind Screws on TV Tropes (either on the show page or on the Mind Screw page). Yes, this does mean that I read TV Tropes. This information may be useful in future Tar games.

In addition, I made a conscious decision to use English conventions for all names, series titles, quotes, etc. in the game.

Chairman Mao
- This role (a Mafia Godfather who hides the rules) was the primary inspiration for the setup, and a LOT of the setup was based around him. I suspected that the game might well come down to whether Mao survived for any length of time. Naturally, he then managed to kill himself N1. The Godfather Safeclaim was originally Arisu (from Serial Experiments Lain) but changed when the cops changed (see below for details). The An Offer I Can't Refuse ability (stolen from Blood Moon Mafia on MTGS) was added to this role fairly late in the design process, and was intended to be useful both for falseclaiming and for screwing with everyone's minds.

The Giant With the Drinks
- Originally, the character for this role was Ford Prefect, but I switched this in the middle of design since I couldn't justify Hitchhiker's Guide being in the game. This was very much a meta-breaking role: who would expect a Jailkeeper to be a scum role? In addition, it provided a lot of potential utility for scum: would the player block a townie to negate a useful night action, block a townie to prevent them being targeted by a townie night action, or block a scum to create an untargetable scum?

This role had a LOT of falseclaims to help its player slide into the game's patterns if needed: Asuka was provided to allow the Jailkeeper to slide into a Rei/Asuka/Shinji trio (I would probably have used this falseclaim in Cavebear's position, since it would make it somewhat easier to get remus run up), Kyon was provided because Haruhi's flavor heavily hinted at Kyon being in the game, Ford Prefect was provided because that was the original character, and Ender was provided to give the Jailkeeper a heroic character from Ender's Game.

Number 6
- This role was developed shortly after I decided (erroneously) that the Mafia was overpowered with three players - it was intended to reward factions that made the counterintuitive choice when faced with a claimed double-life player (if the town did not test the double-lifer they prevented the scum from gaining a new member; if the scum killed the double-lifer they gained a new member).

There was a major mistake in the naming of this role: the role name given to the player before activation should have been
Number 6 (from The Prisoner), Pro-Town Self-Reviver
, as the name given implied that this role could revive others. For future notes: the only abilities you have in a Tar game are those explicitly explained in the PM (factional abilities and special abilities).

This was the one role where I was forced to lie to maintain the role's functionality; for this I apologize to MafiaSSK. In my defense, I did try to leave clues about the identity switch: I called the role Pro-Town instead of Townie (Townie is the indicator of being unambiguously town in a Tar game) and I included a lot of quotes/references from Battlestar Galactica in the vote counts.

The Star Child
- This was a unique role, and I seriously misjudged which side it would favor. I thought that the role would be truly neutral, but the combination of the "warp out when you've won", the way I wrote the Vote Counts, and Rule 21 led to this role favoring the town.

I'm not really happy with how this role turned out - the Ozmodiar role may reappear in future Tar games, but not without heavy modifications.

Tarhalindur
- This role was actually a true cop (though the player didn't know it); since all of the scum were villains of a sort, finding that a player's role name was villainous was effectively a guilty. The early incarnations of this role were far more obvious about this: the original version of the role was a normal cop, and the second version had an ability that would have told him about scum being villains. (This ability was the last part of the setup changed in design, due to bad interactions with Shinji's role.)

Eiri Masami
- This role was originally Lain Iwakura, Townie Role Name Cop, but this was changed about halfway through development when I decided the town had too many investigative roles. (Tarhalindur got Lain's role name cop aspects, and Mao got the Lain name claim.)

While I never outright told Musher or Grimmy that the role had an ability, I did leave hints: the role PM did not include the word Vanilla (which is the indicator that a player has no notable abilities) and I said that "as far as you can tell, you have no special abilities", leaving open the door for abilities the player did not know about.

Unintended consequence that made me very happy when I realized it - Grimmy could easily have screwed over the Ozmodiar if he had been hammer-happy D3.

Quantum Mechanics
- I made a design/balance mistake here (Bus Driver + UNK is a very strong combo for town even without the potentially-confirming "replace out instead" effect).

This role remained largely unchanged after it was added, though I considered dropping the Observe ability for some time.

Neo
- This role was added into the game for three main reasons: 1) this gave the town a way to deal with the Star Child, if they felt that role was a threat, without running into Rule 21; 2) this role had an interesting "daykill D1 and risk the Mafia killing me before I can Nuke, or wait to Nuke and daykill D3?", and 3) I like JoaT's and dayvigs.

The main changes to this role involved the timing of when it could kill (at one point it was limited to killing on even numbered Days/Nights instead of odd numbers).

Rei Ayanami
- This is probably my favorite role in the setup; it's flavorful and I like the variation on the standard UNK role (scum - or town, for that matter - can silence the player but at the cost of confirming the role).

Haruhi
- the other swingy role that wound up swinging strongly towards the town. She was designed to have 3 pro-town effects (though one - School Festival - proved less useful than I thought), 4 neutral effects, and 3 pro-scum effects, and would be somewhat more beneficial for town if Mao died. As it turned out, Mao died early, Nocmen chose to use pro-town effects two times out of three, and Nocmen was roleblocked by the scum the one night he used an anti-town effect, negating this role's potential to backfire.

Flavor inspiration for the ability names:

Whack A Mole - TV Tropes Wiki
Hickory Dickory Dock - "The mouse ran up the
clock
" (original name: Grandfather Clock)
International Talk Like a Pirate Day - self-explanatory?
Political Campaign - These are where politicians blow a lot of hot air
Ghost Story - they scare you, right? (WRONG, but that's beside the point)
SOS-dan Recruitment Day -
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
, episode 3 (2 chronologically)
School Festival -
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
, episode 12 (12 chronologically).
Class Trip -
Full Metal Panic
, first arc, first season
School President Election - Kingmaker games, personal experience,
Full Metal Panic
, the later Haruhi light novels
Count of Monte Cristo - Count can mean more than one thing, eh?

Alice
- I liked the "townie, has a bit of information, but that information was misleading" angle. Sadly, Korts figured out the truth (or something close enough to it) early enough to negate this role's potential impact.

Shinji
- Yes, this role has now been used in an actual Mafia game.

This was one of the earliest roles added into the setup, and remained untouched during all the setup editing. Those of you who have seen the end of Episode 26 of Eva and Mirth's Worst Role Ideas roles should get a bit of a laugh out of the flavor.

Speaking of Shinji, funniest PM of the game for me:
Jex wrote:/confirm

The pm confused me. Am I just a townie?
Why, as a matter of fact, he was! But he didn't know that.
Last edited by Tarhalindur on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User out of ambit.

dahill1
dahill1
bagel
dahill1
bagel
bagel

Post Post #584 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Post by dahill1 »

great game! i was following and would have replaced in if it i hadn't been at my mini limit
also, props on including Mao in a mafia game ;)
forbiddanlight
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
Blowfish

Post Post #585 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Post by forbiddanlight »

I ended up seeing this Day 4, saw the Haruhi reference, and ended up reading most of the whole thing, and was rather impressed at how well done it was. I had fun figuring out where the quotes were fun. Cavebear, you missed like every Serial Experiments Lain quote. To be fair, he was mostly quoting Duvet though, the opening song. Very nice song though :).
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

TTGL Mafia is over. Going to mod [b]Umineko No [color=red]Na[/color]ku Koro Ni[/b] Mafia. Pre-/ins, as always, are accepted.
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #586 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

I'll post a list of all the references in a bit (Cavebear missed a lot of Serial Experiments Lain, all the Full Metal Panic references, and even missed a Haruhi reference - shame on him!).

Thanks for the compliments!
User out of ambit.

forbiddanlight
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
Blowfish

Post Post #587 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:24 pm

Post by forbiddanlight »

Seriously, I'll have to play a tar game sometime :P
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

TTGL Mafia is over. Going to mod [b]Umineko No [color=red]Na[/color]ku Koro Ni[/b] Mafia. Pre-/ins, as always, are accepted.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #588 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Post by iamausername »

Aw, I'm kind of disappointed that Cavebear turned up scum (although I was pretty sure he would), because if he hadn't I had a whole awesome plan lined up to vote no lynch and try to make remus shoot himself. I love the Bus Driver role.

This game was awesome, and I'm nominating it for the "Most Enjoyable Mini" Scummy award. And, Tar, do I remember seeing somewhere that you plan to run a Mind Screw II at some point? If so, is it possible for me to pre-in for that right now?
Tarhalindur wrote:I called the role Pro-Town instead of Townie (Townie is the indicator of being unambiguously town in a Tar game)
I actually picked up on this and did a little reaction fishing to try and see if anyone else had (see the end of this post), but he got himself killed fairly soon after that so it became irrelevant.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #589 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:05 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Speaking of Mind Screw II - I actually have two setups pretty much good to go at the moment.

Mind Screw Mafia II
has just been added in the Mini Theme Queue and should open for signups shortly. Pre-ins are always welcome! (so long as I don't get more than 12, that is, then we have problems)
Babylon 5 Mafia: Severed Dreams
will enter the Large Theme Queue as soon as I can find a backup moderator qualified to run Large Theme games.

EDIT: Also, I suppose I really should thank you for the Scummy nom, iam. :oops: - Tar
User out of ambit.

Macavenger
Macavenger
Goon
Macavenger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #590 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:27 pm

Post by Macavenger »

AJHDFKLHJKLAJFKJ
SSK AND CAVEBEAR
I Haaaaaaaaaaaaate you!!!!

I was so looking forward to my daykill. Why why why why why :( :( :( :( There wasn't nearly enough information out yet to use it Day 1. I really didn't even want to kill N1, but knew I had to if I were going to be useful. I shot Yos because I thought he was playing similarly to Mini 578 where he was scum, and thought I saw some connections from him to other players (I forget who now). At least I was half right in that he wasn't town, heh.

Pretty sure if I' gotten the townie sleeper agent role I'd have picked up on it instantly from the All Along the Watchtower bit. Kind of a giveaway to BSG fans there. Hmm.... Number 6... All Along the Watchtower... I wonder...

This would pretty clearly have been more entertaining had Jenter lived longer. The synergy between Mao and Haruhi for mindscrewing would have been crazy.
"By far the towniest player in the game. Very good scum hunting, doesn't let anyone off the hook. All in all I find Mac's posts insightful and thought-provoking. " - Vel-Rahn Koon
remussaidow
remussaidow
Goon
remussaidow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #591 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Post by remussaidow »

if cavebear came up town, I was gonna say that iam switch of those two and me, and then propose to no lynch until everyone was confirmed (since Iam couldn't pull off looking like a busdriver and being scum in that position.)
Now, life is civilized. Once there was a city, barbaric in its ways. Yet, they were an empire. But even before that, they were two brothers. They fought. Remus said ow, and it all began.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #592 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:34 pm

Post by iamausername »

If Cavebear came up town, I was going to propose a No Lynch, and then say that I would be bussing remus with either Cavebear or Battousai, as remus couldn't kill me without confirming himself as scum, so I'd be leaving him with a 50/50 chance of shooting himself in trying to kill one of the townies.

Then, I'd actually switch myself with Battousai, hoping that remus would spot the deliberate mistake in that plan and actually target himself. And if not, he'd still have to pick Cavebear in order to have a chance of winning.

I would have been so pleased if I could pull that one off.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
remussaidow
remussaidow
Goon
remussaidow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #593 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Post by remussaidow »

I would never target myself, even through the risk to switch was higher.
Now, life is civilized. Once there was a city, barbaric in its ways. Yet, they were an empire. But even before that, they were two brothers. They fought. Remus said ow, and it all began.
malthusis
malthusis
Mafia Scum
malthusis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #594 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:47 pm

Post by malthusis »

If this is valid, I'd like to /pre-in for Mind Screw II.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #595 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Eh. Survivor roles are bad. There's basically no motivation to do much of anything.

Especally after I was pretty much confirmed "not mafia" after night 1. So I first "accidently" outed a few pro-town power roles, (to give the scum better targets), then went on to be totally and completly useless until the end of the day.

I'm just glad I didn't hammer the bomb. Man...how crappy a loss that would have been. Random question; why would you put a bomb and a survivor in the same game?

Anyway, other then my role, heh, it was a good game, a good setup, and run fairly well.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #596 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

The Reference/Shout Out Compendium

First Post: None

Post 3, italics: oblique reference to quantum mechanics

Zeroth Vote Count, italics: Battlestar Galactica
Zeroth Vote Count, name: none

First Vote Count, italics: Neon Genesis Evangelion (stolen from TV Tropes)
First Vote Count, name: none

Second Vote Count, italics: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (broadcast episode 4)
Second Vote Count, name: referring to the vote count oddities

Third Vote Count, italics: Serial Experiments Lain (opening theme "Duvet")
Third Vote Count, name: Doctor Who/referring to vote count oddities

Fourth Vote Count, italics: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Fourth Vote Count, name: mod comment

Fifth Vote Count, italics: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Fifth Vote Count, name: mod comment

Sixth Vote Count, italics: hint
Sixth Vote Count, name: lampshading my helpfulness

Seventh Vote Count, italics: Tarhalindur saying
Seventh Vote Count, name: call back to Second Vote Count

Eighth Vote Count, italics: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/Battlestar Galactica, in that order
Eighth Vote Count, name: hint

Ninth Vote Count, italics: Serial Experiments Lain
Ninth Vote Count, name: The A-Team

Tenth Vote Count, italics: Katamari Damacy
Tenth Vote Count, name: Full Metal Panic

Eleventh Vote Count, italics: Alice in Wonderland
Eleventh Vote Count, name: Stargate Atlantis

Twelfth Vote Count, italics: The Prisoner
Twelfth Vote Count, name: Stargate SG-1 ("Window of Opportunity")

Thirteenth Vote Count, italics: The Matrix
Thirteenth Vote Count, name: Stargate SG-1 ("Window of Opportunity")

Fourteenth Vote Count, italics: This is Tarhalindur (the role) breaking the fourth wall
Fourteenth Vote Count, name: Stargate SG-1 ("Window of Opportunity")

Fifteenth Vote Count, italics: quantum mechanics (Hawking radiation, specifically)
Fifteenth Vote Count, name: StarCraft

Sixteenth Vote Count, italics: 2001: A Space Odyssey
Sixteenth Vote Count, name: mod comment

Seventeenth Vote Count, italics: Ender's Game
Seventeenth Vote Count, name: hint that the references might be significant

Eighteenth Vote Count, italics: Metal Gear Solid 2
Eighteenth Vote Count, name: Stargate SG-1 (yeah, I like "Window of Opportunity")

End of Day 1 flavor text: Master of Orion 3 (opening narration)

Nineteenth Vote Count, italics: Stargate SG-1 (the full version of a quote found in the names of 3 vote counts)
Nineteenth Vote Count, name: Full Metal Panic!, Hunt for Red October, etc. - but mainly Full Metal Panic

Twentieth Vote Count, italics: Stargate Atlantis
Twentieth Vote Count, name: Full Metal Panic! (I made the FMP references more blatant over time to see if Cavebear would catch onto them)

Twentieth Vote Count (#2), italics: Babylon 5
Twentieth Vote Count (#2), name: mod message

Twenty-First Vote Count, italics: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Twenty-First Vote Count, name: Full Metal Panic!

Twenty-First Vote Count (#2), italics: Serial Experiments Lain (opening theme "Duvet")
Twenty-First Vote Count (#2), name: Stargate SG-1

Twenty-Second Vote Count, italics: Full Metal Panic!
Twenty-Second Vote Count, name: The Matrix

Twenty-Third Vote Count, italics: The Matrix
and
Alice in Wonderland
Twenty-Third Vote Count, name: quantum mechanics (Schrödinger's Cat)

Twenty-Fourth Vote Count, italics: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Twenty-Fourth Vote Count, name: German for "Excellent!". Also, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Twenthy-Fourth Vote Count (#2), italics: The Prisoner
Twenty-Fourth Vote Count (#2), name: hint

Twenty-Fifth Vote Count, italics: Battlestar Galactica
Twenty-Fifth Vote Count, name: <insert anime here>

Twenty-Sixth Vote Count, italics: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Twenty-Sixth Vote Count, name: hint

Twenty-Seventh Vote Count, italics: Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu
Twenty-Seventh Vote Count, name: Zero Wing (and Internet memes)

Twenty-Eighth Vote Count, italics: Haruhi Suzumiya series
Twenty-Eighth Vote Count, name: hint about MafiaSSK not getting modkilled

Twenty-Ninth Vote Count, italics: Stargate SG-1
Twenty-Ninth Vote Count, name: informative

Thirtieth Vote Count, italics: Full Metal Panic!
Thirtieth Vote Count, name: lampshading my helpfulness

Thirty-First Vote Count, italics: One of Tarhalindur's favorite phrases
Thirty-First Vote Count, name: informative

Thirty-Second Vote Count, italics: Monty Python and the Life of Brian
Thirty-Second Vote Count, name: hint

Thirty-Third Vote Count, italics: Dada!
Thirty-Third Vote Count, name: Warhammer 40k/informative

End of Day 2 Scene: Eight-Bit Theater, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, memetics

Beginning of Day 3 Scene: Unreal Tournament (the 1999 version)

Thirty-Fourth Vote Count, italics: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya (Live A Live, episode 12, the School Festival episode), hint
Thirty-Fourth Vote Count, name: Self-Explanatory

MafiaSSK Modkill Scene: "We Didn't Start the Fire"

Thirty-Fifth Vote Count, italics: Battlestar Galactica
Thirty-Fifth Vote Count, name: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Thirty-Sixth Vote Count, italics: Serial Experiments Lain (opening theme "Duvet")
Thirty-Sixth Vote Count, name: Doctor Who

Thirty-Seventh Vote Count, italics: Doctor Who
Thirty-Seventh Vote Count, name: Doctor Who

Thirty-Eighth Vote Count, italics: <insert work of fiction here>, but especially The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Full Metal Panic!
Thirty-Eighth Vote Count, name: lampshading my helpfulness

Thirty-Ninth Vote Count, italics: Jurassic Park
Thirty-Ninth Vote Count, name: Jurassic Park

Fortieth Vote Count, italics: 2001: A Space Odyssey (okay, so it's actually from the sequel)
Fortieth Vote Count, name: hint/Pirates of the Caribbean

Fortieth Vote Count (#2), italics: Eureka (aka A Town Called Eureka)
Fortieth Vote Count (#2), name: Eureka

Forty-First Vote Count, italics: quantum mechanics (many-worlds hypothesis)/Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis
Forty-First Vote Count, name: Discworld (Thud!)

Forty-Second Vote Count, italics: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Forty-Second Vote Count, name: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Forty-Third Vote Count, italics: personal Antagonish variant
Forty-Third Vote Count, name: self-referential (43 is a prime number)

Forty-Fourth Vote Count, italics: StarCraft: Brood War
Forty-Fourth Vote Count, name: Sailor Moon

Forty-Fifth Vote Count, italics: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Forty-Fifth Vote Count, name: what do you mean it wasn't made on drugs? (and... that's a TV Tropes reference)

Forty-Sixth Vote Count, italics: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Forty-Sixth Vote Count, name: none

Forty-Seventh Vote Count, italics: Alice in Wonderland
Forty-Seventh Vote Count, name: none

Forty-Eighth Vote Count, italics: The Call of Cthulhu and Lovecraft in general
Forty-Eighth Vote Count, name: Edgar Allen Poe

Forty-Ninth Vote Count, italics: Star Trek (First Contact IIRC)
Forty-Ninth Vote Count, name: The Call of Cthulhu

Fiftieth Vote Count, italics: StarCraft
Fiftieth Vote Count, name: hint

Fifty-First Vote Count, italics: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Fifty-First Vote Count, name: Star Wars/hint

Fifty-Second Vote Count, italics: WarCraft III
Fifty-Second Vote Count, name: hint (big one there)/Star Wars

Fifty-Third Vote Count, italics: A Miracle of Science
Fifty-Third Vote Count, name: hint

Fifty-Fourth Vote Count, italics: none
Fifty-Fourth Vote Count, name: none

The Birthday Present Mod Scene: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya (Live A Live, episode 12 - the school festival episode)

Fifty-Fifth Vote Count, italics: Haruhi Suzumiya series
Fifty-Fifth Vote Count, name: none

Fifty-Sixth Vote Count, italics: Neon Genesis Evangelion (spoken by one Rei Ayanami)
Fifty-Sixth Vote Count, name: none

Fifty-Seventh Vote Count, italics: Code Geass
Fifty-Seventh Vote Count, name: informative

Fifty-Eighth Vote Count, italics: Serial Experiments Lain (opening theme "Duvet")
Fifty-Eighth Vote Count, name: informative

Beginning of Day 4 Scene: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Lone Island Syndrome, episodes 6 and 8 by broadcast order)

Fifty-Ninth Vote Count, italics: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Lone Island Syndrome, episodes 6 and 8 by broadcast order)
Fifty-Ninth Vote Count, name: mod comment

Sixtieth Vote Count, italics: none
Sixtieth Vote Count, name: none

Sixty-First Vote Count, italics: self-referential
Sixty-First Vote Count, name: hopefully self-explanatory

Sixty-Second Vote Count, italics: One of Tarhalindur's favorite phrases
Sixty-Second Vote Count, name: hint

This Is... The Mod Scene: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Lone Island Syndrome, episodes 6 and 8 by broadcast order)

Sixty-Third Vote Count, italics: poem whose name I have forgotten ("not with a bang but with a whimper")
Sixty-Third Vote Count, name: hint

Whew, that was a bit of work to type up!
User out of ambit.

Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #597 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Post by Battousai »

If nocmen didn't use whack a mole, scum most likely would have won the game. The last day there was 4 people left. A mislynch plus nk means the next day it's 1v1, game over. All cavebear would have had to do was get rem lynched (I know I would have voted rem, and a good chance Iam might have as well). The game was quite enjoyable, but I have to say I'm surprised by my role now. I was expecting at least one other character from a Disney movie/book. Alice just doesn't seem to fit.
Nocmen
Nocmen
meep meep
Nocmen
meep meep
meep meep

Post Post #598 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Post by Nocmen »

Battousai wrote:If nocmen didn't use whack a mole, scum most likely would have won the game. The last day there was 4 people left. A mislynch plus nk means the next day it's 1v1, game over. All cavebear would have had to do was get rem lynched (I know I would have voted rem, and a good chance Iam might have as well). The game was quite enjoyable, but I have to say I'm surprised by my role now. I was expecting at least one other character from a Disney movie/book. Alice just doesn't seem to fit.
So my horrible, horrible play this whole game still let me do something good?
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #599 (ISO) » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Yosarian2 wrote:Eh. Survivor roles are bad. There's basically no motivation to do much of anything.

Especally after I was pretty much confirmed "not mafia" after night 1. So I first "accidently" outed a few pro-town power roles, (to give the scum better targets), then went on to be totally and completly useless until the end of the day.

I'm just glad I didn't hammer the bomb. Man...how crappy a loss that would have been. Random question; why would you put a bomb and a survivor in the same game?

Anyway, other then my role, heh, it was a good game, a good setup, and run fairly well.
Frankly, your role was a mistake - but then, hindsight is 20/20.

As for "why a bomb" - the supersaint was pretty much a giant piece of schmuck bait with the potential to screw everybody over.
User out of ambit.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”