Twilight???

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Twilight

Yes
41%
No
41%
I don't know
17%

Total votes: 29

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #14 (isolation #0) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:00 am

Post by mith »

In general, I am against modkilling for something like this. However,
You SHOULD NOT disallow twilight posts for many reasons, not the least of which, the players often mis-count. It also eliminates several interesting possible twists (like players that take extra votes to lynch, and many more).
I also disagree with this. It applies to some games, but not to all. Take, for example, any game in which the roles are known beforehand. There aren't twists, so that's not a problem. For miscounting, if you think it *might* be twilight (because someone else said so, or whatever), is it that difficult to do a recount yourself? In Minv4, it wasn't a rule, but if it *had* been a rule, then it would've taken you a couple extra minutes to check and see that CB had gotten the count wrong; posting while you aren't sure would be a violation of the rule. Not one I would modkill you for, but one I, as a mod, would be annoyed about.

I guess the point I am trying to make here is that the players do need to keep up with such things (it makes for a better game). In the live version you don't have this problem, the player is dead as soon as he/she has a majority, because the mod is always there. The death occurs at majority, *not* when the mod says so. Obviously there are variants that need a "twilight" in case something screwy is going on, but not all games do.

I'm pretty sure there are some possible things that can go wrong if you allow twilight posts all the time, but I don't have time to think about it at the moment (meeting with advisors, whee).
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #21 (isolation #1) » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:33 am

Post by mith »

If the town lets it get close enough for the scum to "jump the wagon", that's really their own fault. And anyway, whoever lynches you without giving you a chance to speak up is going to look pretty scummy.
If the mod makes it night, I never get a chance, and that's fine. However, if the mod hasn't come on and said it's night, IMO, it should not be night. By dis-allowing posts after a majoity you are basically eliminating twilight and making the majority vote be the trigger for night.
How is this any less arbitrary than no twilight? Rather than basing it on whether a player is on at a certain time, you're basing it on whether the mod is. The mod is not meant to have an effect on the outcome of the game like that. I agree that there are some cases where it's "unfair" to someone, but the unfairness is on the shoulders of the players, where it belongs; on the voters, for the early lynch, and on the lynched, for waiting too long.
If I get that close while I'm out, should the I and the town be punished?
You aren't being "punished", that's just the way things worked out. By allowing twilight posts, you are punishing the Mafia more than you are punishing the town by disallowing them. It may seem unfair when you *are* town, but the mod is meant to be impartial. I would rather have some objective end to day (a majority) than having some nebulous twilight that depends on the mod's schedule.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”