Twilight???

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Twilight

Yes
41%
No
41%
I don't know
17%

Total votes: 29

jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:15 pm

Post by jeep »

I refuse to play in a "no talking during twilight" game unless the mod posts the transition to twilight (which really isn't twilight then...) Twilight is the term coined by Sketchwick to indicate the time after which the result is inevitable, but the mod hasn't showed up yet. You SHOULD NOT disallow twilight posts for many reasons, not the least of which, the players often mis-count. It also eliminates several interesting possible twists (like players that take extra votes to lynch, and many more).

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:48 am

Post by jeep »

I disallow twilight posting because it gives an out-of-game variable (Which players can get on to post before the mod does) potential for a profound effect on the game.
Then you have to assume that the players completely track the votes and can do the "determine majority" correctly (even if you post it in the vote counts).

Twilight isn't (or wasn't) a formal part of Mafia. It was Day when the mod said it was day and night when the mod said it was night. I think that is GOOD. Mods also said "once a lynch is reached, nothing that happens after that count for voting"... then the twilight term was coined. I think disallowing discussion hurts the game much more than allowing discussion does.

Think of it as the time between noosing the person and swatting the horse. People can still plead their case, even though at that point it only takes one person to swat the horse and lynch the guy. (you can use kicking the stool out if you don't like thinking of horses being the killer...)

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #11 (isolation #2) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:07 pm

Post by jeep »

My reasoning: If the mod were online 24/7 and performed all modding duties instantaneously, twilight would not exist at all. The game should not be significantly affected by the fact that the mod usually can't.
Right, the time between the final vote being cast and the mod declaring night is twilight. For an example of where you rule might have been problematic, look at Minvitational 4. Someone declared it was twilight. I unvoted. And many were surprised when it wasn't twilight after all. A player mis-counted. Had the player that mis-counted been me, then what would you do? Assume it was an innocent mistake or modkill me?

How does posting in twilight negatively affect the game?

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #17 (isolation #3) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:38 am

Post by jeep »

As a mod, I very much would like to see that a player in that case has the decency not to give out relevant information anymore. Or if a mason near the endgame identifies his/her last remaining partner in twilight. These actions seriously disturb the course of the game.
These fall into the same category that Norinel wants to avoid. If I cannot get to my computer and I get bandwagonned while I'm out, I cannot reveal the information that I would have if I was at my computer 24x7. This means that I could get lynched within the 4 horus I'm sleeping at night and not have a chance to say anything. Again, in a real life game, this isn't a problem. This is part of the reason I think twilight posting SHOULD be allowed. If I'm at 7 of 8 to lynch and I've already claimed cop, I'll probably reveal any information I have if I think it will help the town. If I get that close while I'm out, should the I and the town be punished? If I'm at 3/8, I probably won't reveal.

As to mith's comments, I agree that people should keep track, and I generally do. I DID do a recount, but wasn't convinced enough to simply unvote without the conditional.

As soon as the game is over we can discuss if I gave any inappropriate information- assuming it was indeed twilight.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #20 (isolation #4) » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:43 am

Post by jeep »

Town could only need to put 2 more votes on it before scum jump the wagon. And if I'm unavailable over the week end, then people might get impatient and kill me before noon on Monday. If the mod makes it night, I never get a chance, and that's fine. However, if the mod hasn't come on and said it's night, IMO, it should not be night. By dis-allowing posts after a majoity you are basically eliminating twilight and making the majority vote be the trigger for night. That fine, as a mod you can implement whatever rules you want. I just don't think it's fair.

-JEEP

Return to “Mafia Discussion”