Twilight???

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Twilight

Yes
41%
No
41%
I don't know
17%

Total votes: 29

Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:41 am

Post by Norinel »

I chose I Don't Know because it depends on the mod.

I disallow twilight posting because it gives an out-of-game variable (Which players can get on to post before the mod does) potential for a profound effect on the game. If there are vote-affecting roles, I'd just say "No lynch for you! Twlight again with lynch+1 on him or lynch on anyone else."
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:19 pm

Post by Norinel »

CaptainBlicero wrote:Norinel - how do you do it? Do you put "no twilight posting" in the rules, and rely on your players to uphold it? How do you punish players who violate it?
More or less. It hasn't really come up yet, except in N58, where the lynching vote occurred while I was away and I pardoned everyone because it's not a common rule (As this thread shows). If somebody said something critical like a claim after a "hey, it's twilight" type post, probably a modkill; otherwise, it's situational.

Another logistic way to do it that'd put in another change would be to require players to use a different vote format for the final vote, something like
Deciding vote: IS
. (Inspired by someone doing it in Designer 2) It'd have the side effect of eliminating accidental lynching.
jeep wrote:Then you have to assume that the players completely track the votes and can do the "determine majority" correctly (even if you post it in the vote counts).
Someone saying "Hey, that's eight, it's twilight." is totally fine. I say I'll forgive an honest mistake, and nothing critical's happened yet.
jeep wrote:Twilight isn't (or wasn't) a formal part of Mafia. It was Day when the mod said it was day and night when the mod said it was night. I think that is GOOD.
My reasoning: If the mod were online 24/7 and performed all modding duties instantaneously, twilight would not exist at all. The game should not be significantly affected by the fact that the mod usually can't.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:54 pm

Post by Norinel »

jeep wrote:For an example of where you rule might have been problematic, look at Minvitational 4. Someone declared it was twilight. I unvoted. And many were surprised when it wasn't twilight after all. A player mis-counted. Had the player that mis-counted been me, then what would you do? Assume it was an innocent mistake or modkill me?
In the actual situation, no rule would've been violated. But looking at the context, you posted after someone said he was at 5/6 and then someone put another vote on, which was sufficient warning. Had it actually been twilight, I'd've modkilled you because what you said along with the unvote could've had a significant effect on night choices and such.
Sketchwick wrote:you are asking for trouble when you make rules that require you to differentiate between players who aren't paying attention and deviant miscreants who flagrantly go against your wishes.
True, but making the deciding vote have a different format (Maybe just
lynch: IS
) would mostly do away with that.

Edit:
jeep wrote:How does posting in twilight negatively affect the game?
Mostly because of the real world/gameworld thing I already mentioned, especially when it's the mod's portion of the real world. The day has to end at some defined point, and the casting of the final vote makes sense. Otherwise, some subset of the players (Since players are only expected to get on every 24-48 hours, and twilights aren't usually that long) are going to, essentially at random, going to get a chance to post something important.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”