Official Pokémon Sun and Moon (S&M) Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #275 (isolation #0) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:05 am

Post by DiamondSentinel »

In post 274, Garmr wrote:I love the idea of regional variants I hope they put them in every game.
I think the idea is interesting, but they added it way too late in the series. It just further shows that they are running out of ideas in the games, at least to me.

It could have very easily been started in the Hoenn games. Hoenn had a very stereotypical semi-tropical climate, with an active volcano and more water than was in previous games. It felt a lot more "coastal" and rugged than the previous games, so there's a potential outlet.

From there, Sinnoh was significantly more polar than the other regions, so that's an outlet. Unova had taiga-esque qualities, but that probably wouldn't have had many potential regional variants compared to Johto and Kanto, since they were also fairly forested areas. Kalos is definitely the most plain-like region, but again, not many ideas for regional variants.

Unfortunately, for someone who found Kalos almost unplayable, regional variants seems too little, too late. Also, Ultra Beasts didn't really drag in my attention like Hoenn or Sinnoh's main plotpoints did. Hoenn's Weather-based catastrophe really captivated me, and it still does. The thought of a giant storm starting over a city and spiraling out over an entire region of a country is just such a cool sounding problem (and has inspired some of my tabletop plotpoints).

Sinnoh was an interesting idea, too. Once it started ramping up, and your group had to split up to go to three separate areas of the region (even though they proved to be useless, but that's neither here nor there. You're the star of this show) felt like a real "adventure" type of thing, which felt absent in Kanto, but started to ramp up in Johto, reaching fruition in Hoenn, and then applied differently in Sinnoh. I will say, though, that the whole "Pokemon in charge of Time and Space" sounded way cooler than it ended up executed. Which was a shame. I know that it wasn't really possible to have true "god-like" Pokemon because there still needed to be a shred of balance, but they still could have felt more, I dunno, "wow" (Sorry about that, but onomatopoeia was the only way I could really describe it).
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #293 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:03 pm

In post 292, Chevre wrote:There's like, never a game with an early ice type, unforch.

Maybe Delibird in Sun/Moon, but gosh, that's a big ol' stretch.
Indeed. Kanto you couldn't get them until Lapras in Saffron and Seel in Seafoam islands, or trade for a Jinx, Johto I don't remember if you could before Mahogany Town, Hoenn wasn't until Castform (lol) or Shoal Cave, Sinnoh had quite a few, but again, that wasn't until the second to last gym. Same with Unova. I couldn't play Kalos long enough to find one.

I like the Ice type. It's my favorite, tied with Steel. I just wish there were more of them to get.

Edit: Actually, you could get Cloyster as soon as you get the Super Rod in Kanto, which was right after Lavender town, iirc. But I think that's the earlier you could get an ice Pokemon.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #302 (isolation #2) » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:48 pm

I'll take a Fire/Ice starter type. That'd be a cool concept.

Hell, I'll design it. They don't even need to pay me. Just as long as the designs stop being shit.
“Why was I chosen?'
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #306 (isolation #3) » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:35 pm

In post 305, Psyche wrote:
In post 302, DiamondSentinel wrote:Hell, I'll design it.
hey man no need to sour a good idea
Please. I am a designeur extraordinaire.
“Why was I chosen?'
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #307 (isolation #4) » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:37 pm

In post 303, Marquis wrote:
In post 302, DiamondSentinel wrote:Just as long as the designs stop being shit.
designs have been getting better since gen 5. they're not horrible at all anymore. thinking otherwise feels like iffy nostalgia
I 100% disagree.

The lion for this gen was nice design, and the owl starter was alright, but generation 6 was probably the worst I have ever from any game ever. The legendaries were literally just giant letters. They had vague "creation" and "destruction" powers. And somehow the creation pokemon could be harnessed to power a giant destruction weapon.
“Why was I chosen?'
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #309 (isolation #5) » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:48 pm

In post 308, Psyche wrote:lol of all things that's your beef
Well, it's the one that comes readily to mind.
“Why was I chosen?'
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #315 (isolation #6) » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:45 am

In post 310, animorpherv1 wrote:And here I am assuming you think floating magnets are the epitome of amazing design.
Eh, Magnemite was kinda eh, but that was first generation. I am willing to give them some passes. The point is, they are becoming less passably ridiculous.

In the early games, the designs felt silly. You had Tropius, a giant banana dragon, Feraligatr and Typhlosion, both of whom were very Godzilla-esque, and Wobuffet, who has (since I took psych) reminded me of Bobo dolls they used in that study with the kids replicating anger (which might have been the inspiration behind it, but who knows). And then there were also just some adorable designs. Mudkip, Bulbasaur, and Bagon (with his whole "I can't fly" teenage angst stuff), and then the legendaries really felt awe-inspiring. The weather trio really struck me, and then there was Mewtwo and the legendary birds. All of those felt really cool.

I just haven't gotten that as much lately... The legendaries from Kalos are ehh, and the lion and moon thingy from Alola are alright, but the island guardians felt like a rerun of the lake guardians of Sinnoh. (and I'm not saying Sinnoh was perfect either. Dialga and Palkia sounded great at first, what with the whole control of time and space, but then they ended up being pretty meh).
“Why was I chosen?'
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #325 (isolation #7) » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:42 am

In post 316, Psyche wrote:meh
i think ur just a hater
I'm not hating. I just don't like the last 3 generations.
“Why was I chosen?'

Return to “The Arcade”