Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #5592 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Fairly new to MtG in general, and MtGO more specifically, but I'm playing. same username as here and everywhere else. Got my account started with the starter kit on Monday of this week, and been playing a red/green with some early damage from creatures with abilities that make them harder to block transitioning into burn spells for the finisher (like lava axe, which I run 3x).

That said, all my experience playing MtG before this has been playing with friends' constructed decks against other decks of the same friends, so my actual deckbuilding skills are horrid, and I've never done a draft. (Though I have some experience in other CCGs, most notably Elements the Game, as well as a recent start into Hearthstone). Are there any resources scummers would recommend to beginners to MtG?

edit: Image is the current deck I'm playing with.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5609 (isolation #1) » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:16 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Where do we go to see this event you're talking about?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6322 (isolation #2) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

About to start getting into MtgO - I've mostly been playing beginner constructed last time I played, but want to try using my new player points to try some drafting. I've got experience in other CCGs but limited experience in Magic itself. Would anyone be willing to raidcall/teamspeak/mumble with me and help me get some experience tomorrow afternoon?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6338 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

planning to play draft or sealed Origins at a pre-release event the weekend of the 11th/12th. Anyone have any good resources to share, especially with a focus on Limited and/or Origins specifically?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6341 (isolation #4) » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 6339, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 6338, theelkspeaks wrote:planning to play draft or sealed Origins at a pre-release event the weekend of the 11th/12th. Anyone have any good resources to share, especially with a focus on Limited and/or Origins specifically?

The Limited Resources podcast is what I listen to. They talk a lot about Limited, and will have a full common/uncommon set review at some point the week leading up to prerelease.

Thanks, that looks amazing!

In post 6340, Natirasha wrote:Would anyone be interested in me doing a limited set review?

That would be pretty awesome!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6348 (isolation #5) » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:41 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Played my first 4 paper MtG events by playing 4 Pre-release Sealed events this past weekend!

Played Red/White Fatties, Blue/White Fliers and Tappers, Red/Green aggro, and Green/White Fatties. It was pretty fun and I'm glad to be starting playing "real" events! Went 2-2, 1-2, 1-3, and 2-2 in match records, with a couple really exciting games including one where I had to hold off with a bunch of 2/2s off of Zendikar's Roil until a 14-creatures per side board.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6350 (isolation #6) » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 6349, hasdgfas wrote:I'm traveling down to Chicago for the SCG Open this week. It's my fourth ever Competitive event after a PTQ, a PPTQ, and a GPT. Looking forward to it.

Good luck!
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6365 (isolation #7) » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:18 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I decided to buy into Standard with a somewhat budget B/G Elves deck. Got most of the cards I needed to arrive yesterday, still waiting on about 10 more.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6369 (isolation #8) » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:06 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Found this list online, and it's both affordable and fun!

Using this as my Standard deck on MTGO now (and using BG Elves for Paper Standard)
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6440 (isolation #9) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I've heard good things about Merfolk in modern, especially in a post-Harbinger world - I know it got played at WC, and I saw you mention you love tribal decks.

Not really a modern player myself though.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6451 (isolation #10) » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:53 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Played two prereleases. Went RG Landfall with ramp to Omnath, went 2-2. Got RG and GW tangos and the rare Ally land as only other money cards in that one.

Next day opened a pretty solid RW "I hope I live long enough to kill you deck" highlighted by Breaker of Armies, Rolling Thunder, Dragonmaster Outcast, and enough white removal to fend off all sorts of things. Lost first match, then 2-0ed 3 times in a row for a 3-1 finish, my breakers put me last among all the 3-1s at the shop though, so I only got 2 packs. Got the new Ulamog in one of the prize packs.

Planning to move at least the Ulamog and possibly some of the other stuff ASAP and try to start building towards an RG Tron so that I can play Modern.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6482 (isolation #11) » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'm slowly building towards a modern deck by selling any money cards I get in draft/sealed - I want to play it but it's a bit pricey.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6484 (isolation #12) » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

R/G Tron
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6584 (isolation #13) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:19 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

I really want to make RG Landfall Ramp work (Omnath deck, basically), but I just don't know if it will. Keeping fingers crossed for OGW.

Currently playing my (lowbudget) BG Elves still, which was originally mostly netdecked but with my own sideboard and putting in a 1x Might of the Masses for something (I don't even remember what I cut) because I was flooding the board anyway and it was kind of nice.

Just drafted a Greenwarden P1P1 in my last draft, so that'll be in the deck soon too, because more Shamans of the Pack is awesome.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6588 (isolation #14) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:17 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Thinking about selling my Ulamog (BFZ), but I was hoping for a price spike after it made top 8 at GP Quebec. Anyone know why it hasn't and whether I can hope for a spike after this or if I should just cash out?
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6690 (isolation #15) » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

Been having a lot of trouble in BFZ draft. Can anyone who's had successful draft decks post pictures of them? I think I just don't have a good idea for "how much of the thing" my deck is doing I need to have for it to work - how all-in on my archetype do I need to be? etc.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6695 (isolation #16) » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:28 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Yeah, I'm pretty much taking Owen's advice on Green in the format. I'm a regular LR listener and have at least an idea of the archetypes and their varying power levels (my personal preference is the BW), it's just that it's not comnig together at the draft table for me, and I'm wondering if I'm taking too many "good cards in my colors that aren't part of my main idea", so I wanted to see what some successful draft decks had looked like to see the balance of synergy and power in them.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6941 (isolation #17) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:28 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Holy crap

Epiphany at the Drownyard!!!!

I have never been so excited about a card!

theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6946 (isolation #18) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:37 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

In post 6943, hasdgfas wrote:I'm not a big fan of Epiphany at the Drownyard. It's too similar to Steam Augury, which was quite bad. It's possible that it being more flexible will help it, but when you choose the piles and your opponent gives you one of their choice...

I'm more excited about this in an EDH context than a standard context (though I think it might be good in Standard also, that's yet to be seen) - I can just imagine playing this to get huge card advantage at some point in a drawn out game, and it's the thing I'm dying to see when I'm sitting there on 12 lands and like 2 cards in hand.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7486 (isolation #19) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Post by theelkspeaks »

I'm hoping to attend GP Beijing in early May. Anyone else going to be there? Alternately, any tips for a first time GP-er?

I believe it will be Dominaria (Limited), so I can't practice with the cards yet.

Return to “The Arcade”